• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox version of Black Myth: Wukong reportedly delayed indefinitely

Draugoth

Gold Member
black-myth-wukong.jpg

Translation via Reddit, sources told Xbox content creator and leaker Exta1sis that the Xbox version is delayed indefinitely due to a memory leak:

"At Gamescom, I spoke to Xbox insiders and developers who informed me about a technical issue affecting the launch of Black Myth: Wukong on Xbox consoles."

"Apparently, the game is suffering from a bug known as "Memory Leak," which can cause significant crashes that could compromise the performance of your Xbox console. Because of this issue, the game has not passed Xbox's bug detection tests and has therefore been delayed indefinitely until they manage to optimize the game for Series X|S."

"The studio is already working hard to resolve this issue and achieve the necessary certification. Once they get approval, they will set a release date for the game, but they do not yet know when or how, but apart from that error the game is "close to being ready.""

* The game has already failed the tests twice, hence the delay without an approximate date, since they have not yet managed to pass this certification, which I was told is very strict."

Source

Last edited:

nowhat

This is both believable and unbelievable. MS refusing to certify a game that leaks memory, well duh, of course they would. But a game running on a cross-platform engine that leaks memory only under one platform (so far I haven't seen many complaints about it on PC/PS5) doesn't seem that likely.

HddpRub.gif

Jez corden:
"how the fuck am I going to spin this shit"

edit: oh shit Jez is the source? . so, the "bug" is the spin. if it is only a "bug", delaying the game indefinitely doesn't make any sense. I think the real "bug" is the lack of sales of games and of course the platform itself.

edit 2: wait a frickin minute, then why is Xbox saying that "they can't comment on deals made with other platform holders"?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sucks because the game is great and everyone should get the chance to play it if they want to. Seems like this might be the Series S holding things down for Xbox, yet again.

BG3 was the surprise hit of last year and Wukong is the surprise hit of this year. And MS failed to release both day one.

They are cursed.
To bring balance to the force, at least they got Palworld.

I guess that memory leak is the reason game crashes after playing it on PC for some time?
Probably highly dependent on your hardware, but I played four different 5-hour sessions since Friday and didn't experience any crashes or memory leaks.

TransTrender

Gold Member
This explanation sounds really fucking stupid, so I highly doubt it.
Most likely this guy's a clout chaser and the real reason is they won't recoup the cost of the port so there's no business case to do it.

damidu

wouldn't be surprised
why bother burning your braincells to make it work on series-shit, just to entertain a dwindling userbase. (who are hand-trained to not buy games btw)
instead, you can burn your braincells on a mountain of cocaine with all that money you made.

BlackTron

This is both believable and unbelievable. MS refusing to certify a game that leaks memory, well duh, of course they would. But a game running on a cross-platform engine that leaks memory only under one platform (so far I haven't seen many complaints about it on PC/PS5) doesn't seem that likely.

I was skeptical about this too but since we have nothing but speculation, I didn't want to say anything that might seem incendiary. But is "memory leak on X/S" code for "memory sucks on S"? I mean...

BlackTron

Jez corden:
"how the fuck am I going to spin this shit"

edit: oh shit Jez is the source? . so, the "bug" is the spin. if it is only a "bug", delaying the game indefinitely doesn't make any sense. I think the real "bug" is the lack of sales of games and of course the platform itself.

edit 2: wait a frickin minute, then why is Xbox saying that "they can't comment on deals made with other platform holders"?

Oh damn I just saw this. Yeaahhh the memory leak thing, idk

Edit: Ok if other platforms have the memory leak maybe that really is the issue. But I doubt it would be delayed INDEFINITELY right now without Series S small ram making it harder to solve.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Since MS "can't comment on deals made by other platform holders" does this mean the memory leak was planted by Sony to sabotage the Xbox version? How deep does this rabbit hole go?

/s but some of our resident Green Rats have some spinning to do today

Nothing will ever beat aging the Switch 1 prediction thread but doesn't mean we stop trying.

AnotherXOne

Neo Member
It also effects ps5 and pc. But is rarer. People have posted issues on reddit. The serues s probably just compounds these issues due to less ram but it is an issue on ps5 and pc.

Last edited:

BlackTron

They did. They scienced the economics of paying the cost porting to another nearly dead console and gamepass risk, and concluded its simply not worth it.

But devs are only supposed to be logical impartial scientists while doing their job for us, not while planning their financial lives!

AnotherXOne

Neo Member
b..but they said optimization is easy! just turn up and down the graphical sliders! la...lazy devs!

GIF by Funimation
They are newbie devs that switched to ue5 last second. And used fsr frame gen to hit 60fps on a ps5 1080p, and the game has crashing issues.

Developing games is hard hand on the one hand I am happy considerimg the series s will force the devs to patch the pc and ps5 version on the other hand rip to the people that wanted to play it on a series s though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It's a leap to think it wouldn't be leaking memory on the PS5 also. The primary underlying issue is likely that the leak quickly exhausts the memory available on XSS.

Antwix

Honestly this game probably should've skipped consoles as a whole for awhile (or entirely). Seems like it's PC or bust.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Kind of interesting writing "de tu consola Xbox" (second person singular, possessive, "your Xbox console") instead of "de una/la consola Xbox" (indefinite/definite article, "a/the Xbox console").

And being technical, a "memory leak" is not an error per se, it's just the consequence of something else (either missing a release statement to free resources or allocating memory twice and missing the reference to the first allocated memory). So we don't say "a bug called memory leak" but just "a memory leak".

It's a leap to think it wouldn't be leaking memory on the PS5 also. The primary underlying issue is likely that the leak quickly exhausts the memory available on XSS.

We can only speculate but it would be possible (even if the codebase is the same) for the PS5 compiler or the PS5 framework to work out code that can handle certain memory leak situations. It's also possible that they might have used different low level calls (creating their own memory allocation and release routines) to optimize usage and introduced a bug in one of the versions (in this case, Xbox). Kind of intrigued that this wasn't caught since Microsoft got the best development tool set in general.

Top Bottom