• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Early game mechanic spoilers:

Jeez, the strategy gets complex when you factor in affinity, skills, arts, etc. I don't yet see a point to the Ether stat, but I'm guessing that will come later. I'm too skittish to play as anyone but Shulk, but I'm having a tough time keeping aggro off him, even with Shadow Eye.

On a side note, I miss gambits. They probably wouldn't work very well with this system, but I miss having fine control over my AI teammates. They occasionally seem like they're working with the enemies.

Chanser said:
You could say JRPG is evolving thanks to Xenoblade.
I doubt it. I was sure FFXII would inspire a wave of copycats, but it still sits there, alone, on the Island of Forgotten RPGs. It's tough for me to see how a game that might not see a North American release could push a globally popular genre forward. I want it to, though. I want a game like this with worlds 8x as big and a main storyline 4x longer.

Diffense

I've just been staring at the dolphin screenshots of Colony 9 for 5 minutes.
This is close to everything I'd want from a videogame world.

reektann

Having great fun with this. Dolphin gives me 30fps most of the time with some drops to 22/24 in really hectic battles ( CPU is i5 2.8 so slightly under speed ).

I did pop the disc into the Wii but i had definitely spoiled myself with Dolphin first so went back to that.

One thing I love is that feeling when you're killing enemies around your level then notice a cave - run in then notice the enemies are about 20 levels above you then run away in a panic excited to come back a lot later to have a go at them.

EDarkness

Got my copy a few hours ago and have been playing for a while. Having a lot of fun again. This game is just great for those who like single player MMO RPG games.

got this 2 days ago and I slept maybe 3hours since then.
If a game deserves the adjective "epic" this gen, it's Xenoblade.

what a wonderful experience

Luigiv

legend166 said:
My copy from 365games/ozgameshop just arrived today.

Currently in the process of ripping so I can play through Dolphin :)
Oh good. Hopefully my copy will be waiting for me when I get home today. I don't think I'll have much time (if any) to play it but at least I can spite RPGCrazied with it.

Luigiv said:
Oh good. Hopefully my copy will be waiting for me when I get home today. I don't think I'll have much time (if any) to play it but at least I can spite RPGCrazied with it.

I think half of this thread is going to get / has gotten a devilish grin when receiving the game for just that reason.

legend166

Luigiv said:

Mine was shipping to Australia, by the way.

reektann

Randy said:
Tried that one but the sound issues persist. No biggie though, sitting far enough from my tv helps.

The music in this game can't get enough praise btw. It's so amazing.

Are you referring to crackly audio on cut scenes or the in game audio? I did have it in cut scenes so I turned AA off and that seemed to fix it.

Randy said:
Started on the Wii, but gave it a go on Dolphin. Though the graphics are superb, the sound problems are pretty serious, thus lowering the overall experience. Back to Wii, I guess.
So can you easily switch your save back and forth?

kiryogi said:
Melia is one of the best. You're losing a lot more having Reyn over Melia. Melia easily outdamages Reyn. Who needs physical strength when you have a ether powerhouse that nukes everything. In fact, as I've said a million times now. Reyn is actually the weakest char out of the entire cast.

In other words, if you're not using Melia, you're doing it wrong.
So it's definitely not Reyn time?

And got to Guar Plains last night...
giant monkey somehow sneaked up on me when I was killing Ponias for one of the monster quests.
>__<

legend166

ramyeon said:
When did you order yours? I'm in Australia too and I'm hoping it arrives some time this week!

Pre-ordered about a month ago. They shipped it last Thursday.

Damn Clean Rip wouldn't split the files for some reason. Have to reformat my SD Card.

mclem

Drkirby said:
Was shocked when I found I could actually jump off a cliff. So many JRPGs will stop you dead in your tracks if you try such a move.

I like the fact that they
deliberately set up a sequence where you'll want to do that - just after you visit the cylinder repository and a certain story event happens, you can *see* the Colony and want to head to it, so it's instinctive to just leap off the cliff to get there. And better still, it gives you an achievement for doing so!

There's few things better in game design than teaching concepts organically through motivating the player correctly.

Randy

reektann said:
Are you referring to crackly audio on cut scenes or the in game audio? I did have it in cut scenes so I turned AA off and that seemed to fix it.

Both. Though turning off AA does seem to fix the audio issues in most cutscenes, it just starts to act up when playing the game for about ten minutes or so. Ingame audio seems to be having the same problem. I'm gonna give up messing around with Dolphin with this game.

I'm not gonna wait for the next Dolphin-revision. I've waited long enough for Xenoblade. I'm 4 hours in on the Wii, so I'm gonna pretend there's no prettier version on the pc and just play that one for the next couple hundreds of hours.

Has anyone been writing down on a notepad where all the named NPCs are? I got to
Alcomoth
and was pretty overwhelmed with all the NPC dotted around, and have a terrible memory so I'm tempted to draw a little map and dot them around on there so I know where to go back to

JimboJones

mclem said:
I like the fact that they
deliberately set up a sequence where you'll want to do that - just after you visit the cylinder repository and a certain story event happens, you can *see* the Colony and want to head to it, so it's instinctive to just leap off the cliff to get there. And better still, it gives you an achievement for doing so!

There's few things better in game design than teaching concepts organically through motivating the player correctly.

It's even mentioned in a conversation, think it's that quest where you go to check up on the guard stationed there, I think it's Ryen that says jokingly you could probably jump off the cliff if those robots show up again.

For some reason I find it funny to initiate fights with really hi level monsters from places they can't easily get me and then jump off a cliff before they get to me XD

JimboJones said:
For some reason I find it funny to initiate fights with really hi level monsters from places they can't easily get me and then jump off a cliff before they get to me XD

Hah that even saved my life once. I discovered a secret area high above a lake, only to be attacked by some high lvl bird-thing. Jumped into the water just in time and it felt awesome :p

beje

Banned
5 hours in, I still don't have a fucking clue about what kind of witchcraft did they use to stream such huge maps on the Wii combined with a huge draw distance without FPS dropping. Even some HD games would have massive trouble for doing this.

Alrus

mclem said:
That's no controversy!

*This* is controversy:
It looks better than FF13.

Yeah, that's not really true. Aside from the grass looking really good in Xenoblade. Like some poster said earlier, I don't get why FFXIII (and a lot of other rpg) only use flat texture for grass.

beje said:
5 hours in, I still don't have a fucking clue about what kind of witchcraft did they use to stream such huge maps on the Wii combined with a huge draw distance without FPS dropping. Even some HD games would have massive trouble for doing this.

It is pretty amazing. They obviously made some sacrifices - things definitely get uglier as you get closer to them - but it's absolutely incredible to see a structure far off in the distance and run all the way to it without any loading.

zoukka

beje said:

It's not hard really. It's just a myth (and Square-Enix propaganda) that most gamers believe.

Sennorin

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
I agree really, FFXIII comes out on top technically but in terms of art style and overall direction and design, Xenoblade wins

Yep. And even if we said that both games are equally great in terms of artstyle, FF13 instantly loses a lot of greatness when you realize that you can only ever follow a linear path, anything you see in the distance is dead background scene. Not so in Xenoblade. Xenoblade <3

Cwarrior

Just when i think the overworld can't get more beautiful it just does.
Morsh swamp look good then makuna forest looked even better to be then top by the nopon village(that’s where am on now).

just got ricky in my party, little guy got some huge amount of health even more the reyn, but i have no clue how to use Melia(what do her fire and lightning moves do)

oh love the voice acting especially Reyn

my party is dunban(great topple combo),reyn(tons of health) and sharla(healer) for travel, shulk(need for story mode) reyn and sharla for story.

MYE

FatCat said:
Still waiting for my copy, Euroland here. Ugh...should have known I'd be waiting with TheHut.

Yup The Hut is shit.

Ordered and cancelled Lords of Shadow twice on that site because even though they had plenty of copies, my orders were always stuck on "Awaiting stock pick" for days.

wrowa

Spanish Wrath said:
8+ hours of gameplay, level 22.

Arrived to Colony 6

Last boss was a bit hard to beat.
Well, sounds like you're rushing quite a bit, don't be surprised that the game might give you a hard time :p

Dragon

Banned
zoukka said:
It's not hard really. It's just a myth (and Square-Enix propaganda) that most gamers believe.

I don't think most gamers believe much from SE these days, but okay. As for saying it's not hard, how are you judging that? There certainly isn't another game on the Wii like this and there really hasn't been one all gen from any Japanese developer.

Top Bottom