• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Sennorin

Banned
kiryogi said:
Melia is one of the best. You're losing a lot more having Reyn over Melia. Melia easily outdamages Reyn. Who needs physical strength when you have a ether powerhouse that nukes everything. In fact, as I've said a million times now. Reyn is actually the weakest char out of the entire cast.

In other words, if you're not using Melia, you're doing it wrong.

Alright, you have me convinced. Will kick Reyn out of the team for Melia. I´d guess Shulk prefers a nice threesome anyway :D

Phenomic

UberTag said:
This is probably the magic question right here.
(I'm still waiting on the CE from GAME in Southern Ontario.)

Yeah I mean I bought the standard edition I don't know why this would effect anything. The box is slightly larger. There's not really any other differences. I mean I would think it would matter more if it was like a Modern Warfare Night Vision Goggles box, but this is just a small cardboard box.

bubnbob said:
How far is that? I'm at
Mechonis Field
getting raped by this stupid Level 59 Unique
i think its almost the end. i took a peek @ a youtube walkthrough. im about
levels below the final boss. but this stupid %&?&%** is kicking my ass. ; ; she keeps pushing me into the ether pools.

bubnbob

Banned
kiryogi said:
Melia is one of the best. You're losing a lot more having Reyn over Melia. Melia easily outdamages Reyn. Who needs physical strength when you have a ether powerhouse that nukes everything. In fact, as I've said a million times now. Reyn is actually the weakest char out of the entire cast.

In other words, if you're not using Melia, you're doing it wrong.

I know you're all "Melia is #1 ^_^;;;" but, I haven't used her at all the entire game and I'm doing just fine.

Just for anyone who might be all "but but but"

Reveirg

Phenomic said:
Yeah I mean I bought the standard edition I don't know why this would effect anything. The box is slightly larger. There's not really any other differences. I mean I would think it would matter more if it was like a Modern Warfare Night Vision Goggles box, but this is just a small cardboard box.

Bigger box and higher value might mean more trouble at customs.

CE might've been shipped after the regular ones too, or even different royal mail service due to its size.

kiryogi

Banned
bubnbob said:
I know you're all "Melia is #1 ^_^;;;" but, I haven't used her at all the entire game and I'm doing just fine.

Just for anyone who might be all "but but but"
A missed opportunity I say. You should see kouli's vids. Most likely tho, I imagine the 100+ uniques won't be doable without her.

Reveirg said:
To those who ordered from GAME and received it in NA : did you order the CE or regular edition?

If it's the regular, it might explain why some people received it before east coasters!

Ordered the CE. Got it in Michigan today.

bubnbob

Banned
I'm not interested in 100% the game. I'm enjoying the story at my own pace. If Melia is required, so be it. But for the sake of enjoyment, you aren't forced to rely on her.

LProtag

TheBaldEmperor said:
Ordered the CE. Got it in Michigan today.

Hm. I got the CE too, but it's not here yet. Perhaps there were shipments to major centers and it's up to the speed of the local USPS which can differ greatly that's making the difference?

Anyway, this makes me feel like I should expect it tomorrow, haha.

Hm. One thing I stumbled upon that I dislike. Apparently the experience you get is heavily dependent on relative level and is not fixed, like in Dragon Quest. So if you fight a "blue" or "gray" enemy you'll get a certain amount of EXP, but if you fight it again when it's "black" you'll get a ton less EXP.

This is going to make enemy grinding difficult if I ever go that route...

bubnbob

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
Hm. One thing I stumbled upon that I dislike. Apparently the experience you get is heavily dependent on relative level and is not fixed, like in Dragon Quest. So if you fight a "blue" or "gray" enemy you'll get a certain amount of EXP, but if you fight it again when it's "black" you'll get a ton less EXP.

This is going to make enemy grinding difficult if I ever go that route...

Uh, that's good. It means you're ready to move on to fight strong enemies who give more XP.

bubnbob said:
Uh, that's good. It means you're ready to move on to fight strong enemies who give more XP.

Oh, I know it serves a purpose. But I'm certain there will be a point at which there is a relative dearth of enemies 3-5 levels above my own. I guess I'm much more comfortable with a system of fixed experience.

For reference, I absolutely hated the way levels were handled in Chrono Cross.

bh7812

Banned
Big Papa Husker said:
Sweet! That is good to hear. Did it come UPS or through the Post Office? I'm in Omaha, NE, and I got the shipping notification at about 8-9AM last Tuesday, so hopefully I will get it today or tomorrow. :)

Sorry this took so long, I just got in and catching up with the thread! The game should come to you through USPS regular mail. Mine came in a smaller medium sized shipping box, kind of the same size box that Amazon would send a smaller item or several smaller things in. Everything is in excellent shape. My ONLY gripe was they really taped up the box good but I'd rather they do that instead of not enough tape! You'll know it's the game for sure because it has a Royal Mail shipping label on it with your address info and there will also be a little customs slip on the box too. With you being in Omaha I'd suspect you'll see it tomorrow finally if you didn't get it today. Enjoy it once it arrives! I fully plan to play quite a while tomorrow :)

LProtag

Now expecting my copy tomorrow from GAME because of a bunch of people getting it today... Though I did just get a PSP with a handful of games today, but I'm tentative on starting an RPG when I've got a big RPG to start, haha.

Varion

Alright that's enough for today. Best part of 11 hours of playing and not a single scene of story advanced, just sidequests. Up to 213 cleared now. Honestly can't remember the last time I've been addicted to stuff in a game that isn't relevant to the main story, sheesh. L50 and the starting enemies in the next area are... 44. Hurrah for being massively overlevelled.

Currently 68h14.

I'm doing quests in the new area I reached tonight,
Fallen Arm
. That will give me some more levels before tackling the next area.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
New York City checking in.

Copy arrived today. Ripped from my Wii and playing on Dolphin, and it's absolutely glorious. I'm running a i7 3.2 GHz with no sound issues, rock solid 28-30 fps at all times, rendering at 4x res with 16x AA, displaying at my monitor's native res of 1680x1050...so good.

Played about 5 hours, just
leaving Colony 9 after the big battle
and holy crap am I wildly impressed. Great creative battle system, gorgeous visuals, and I was just genuinely surprised by what happened just now plot-wise (yay for avoiding spoilers!). Characters are great, too. Too much good stuff to mention right now.

Dying to keep going. Maybe I'll get in just a little bit more before going to bed tonight.

MetatronM said:
New York City checking in.

Copy arrived today. Ripped from my Wii and playing on Dolphin, and it's absolutely glorious. I'm running a i7 3.2 GHz with no sound issues, rock solid 28-30 fps at all times, rendering at 4x res with 16x AA, displaying at my monitor's native res of 1680x1050...so good.

Played about 5 hours, just
leaving Colony 9 after the big battle
and holy crap am I wildly impressed. Great creative battle system, gorgeous visuals, and I was just genuinely surprised by what happened just now plot-wise (yay for avoiding spoilers!). Characters are great, too. Too much good stuff to mention right now.

Dying to keep going. Maybe I'll get in just a little bit more before going to bed tonight.

Dolphin? Jeeaaaalllouuusss...

Question: Do party members not in the battle party get SP and AP?

Varion

SecretMoblin said:
Question: Do party members not in the battle party get SP and AP?
Yes, same amount as active party members.

Also for playtimes 60:48. So glad someone with more posted before me. I've already played for longer than my save back when the Japanese version came out, and I'm still a fair amount behind where I am on that save. So much sidequesting.

Sennorin

Banned
Oh, I just remember a question I wanted to ask: The fast travel only works within the area you´re currently in, right? Because even though it´s still very fast, it´s a bit annoying how you have to keep teleporting to area entrances, then go 2 steps towards the entrance, load time, select map, select next level entrance, repeat. There isn´t a quicker way, right?

Sennorin said:
Oh, I just remember a question I wanted to ask: The fast travel only works within the area you´re currently in, right? Because even though it´s still very fast, it´s a bit annoying how you have to keep teleporting to area entrances, then go 2 steps towards the entrance, load time, select map, select next level entrance, repeat. There isn´t a quicker way, right?

Yes, there's a quicker way; select the area, then use the d-pad to select the landmark (or the analog stick to move around the map).

You've been doing it wrong! ;-)

Edit: Thanks, Varion!

Mercutio

Also from NYC, and my copy arrived today.

F. This game was totally worth the wait. I remember when I was ordering it I was having such a hard time hitting the final checkout button because it was a Wii game... and the Wii is relegated to Netflix duty in our bedroom.

I'm so glad I got it. This is exactly what I've been looking for in an RPG for like, 8 years at least.

TheExodu5

Banned
It really does look quite impressive at times.

xenoblade2.png

Varion

Sennorin said:
Oh lord I'm so glad I'm not the only one who did this. Took like half the game before I realised that there is indeed a quicker way, and then I was just kicking myself.

But yeah like SecretMoblin said open the menu, go to Area Map, select the area, then select the landmark and warp away.

Sennorin

Banned
wait, so you can select the specific area from the menu, too?! Not just select the landmarks within your current area? Ugh, I feel so dumb right now. But thx :)

Haha, I didn't know there were that many people who didn't know you could pop up the menu and choose which map and which landmark you want ^^
Back on the Japanese release I quickly found out about it so for me it was something I took for granted.

I can't imagine having to walk out of zones every time you wish to go somewhere else, that would have been a real pain in the ass considering the amount of travel you need for sidequests.

My copy arrived today! I live in California and it was shipped from GAME last Tuesday.

The game is really awesome so far and I'm finding the English voice acting surprisingly well done. The environments in this game are beautiful. I only wish my computer could handle running this game well on Dolphin to make it look like some of the screens you guys have posted on here. But it's all good, it still looks great to me on the actual Wii console.

Thanks again GAF homebrew tutorial for allowing me to play Xenoblade in the US!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Was shocked when I found I could actually jump off a cliff. So many JRPGs will stop you dead in your tracks if you try such a move.

I also decided to fight a level 18 monster at level 7 that I found. 1 Hit KOed :/

Seeing all the time quotes, I wonder if I will even manage to finish the game by the end of September. Sounds simply huge.

Yuterald

Here in PA still waiting for my CE from Game. I better get this tomorrow. Some friends of mine are freaking out about how cool this game is. I need to pay this!!!

Chesskid1

Banned
i kinda prefer the blurryness of the wii compared to dolphin.

i dunno, dolphin pics just feel off to me. plus it takes me back to the ps2 days!

I have a decent PC, but won't even try Dolphin. I want to have this game without any random crashes and a 100% solid framerate. It would just feel "wrong" to me to not play this on the Wii.

LaneDS

Asked a few pages back, but didn't see it answered: does anyone know if you can have multiple auras active at once, or is it just one a time? Wondering if I should have more than one on a party member's bar or not.

(Apologies if this was answered recently, avoiding this thread as much as I can.)

Antagon

I'm going to stop doing sidequests for a while. I've been playing the majority of the game overleveled and that really takes some of the fun out of it. Hopefully if they'll ever do a sequel they'll fix this problem.

Randy

schennmu said:
I have a decent PC, but won't even try Dolphin. I want to have this game without any random crashes and a 100% solid framerate. It would just feel "wrong" to me to not play this on the Wii.

Started on the Wii, but gave it a go on Dolphin. Though the graphics are superb, the sound problems are pretty serious, thus lowering the overall experience. Back to Wii, I guess.

Randy said:
Started on the Wii, but gave it a go on Dolphin. Though the graphics are superb, the sound problems are pretty serious, thus lowering the overall experience. Back to Wii, I guess.

Same for me. Guess I'll just suck it up and play it on the wii.

Halfmunch

The version I ordered is the regular edition, delay may be with CE edition(maybe).
I have to say it too... great game so far 3 hours in.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chanser said:
Just finished Colony 6, I must say I'm still impressed. Dare I say it better than FF13.
What do you mean "dare you say"? ;)

It's a foregone conclusion to me that it will go down in history as being superior to 13.

Each of them respectively signifies what to do, and what not to do, in crafting a jRPG.

Top Bottom