• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Using Dolphin 3.0. Changing from 9x AA to 4x AA seems to have gotten rid of the crackling noise and honestly I really can't tell the difference between the two. Needless to say it looks amazing and plays essentially flawlessly. i7 860/5830
I'm also using Classic Controller Pro connected through bluetooth. It might as well be the hypothetical Wii HD that I'm playing on.
I'm still in the first area. I like that its not just stand in front of the enemy and attack, effectiveness from either the front, side, or back keeps me active.

It great backstabbing fools to get a fight started.

Also I can't call that red beam saber thing Monado anymore, from now on as far as I'm concerned, its the Xenoblade.

Mael

Dear god what a game, I didn't think I would have managed to get out of Colony 9 anytime soon :lol
The music is absolutely godly, it reminds me of my old days playing FFVI and discovering new awesome music with the game!
then I get onto Bionis leg and wonder what I'll do next...So I decide to just mess a little and try to explore at my leisure....
2 Hours later I actually still have some places I'll check later (because the game explained to me I shouldn't go there...death from the sky at lvl 70 :/)
I also discovered a little temple with a tempting object to get, only to be on the run because a frigging lvl 30 Spider came to reclaim its due (my head), got it in the end...
Seriously I think the map of the area I'm in is like the twice or 3 times the size of the whole Hyrule field in Zelda Tp of non stop area it's incredibly amazing.
The story is awesome too, I love the monado as a plot device AND gameplay device

the world is smartly made to boot
I like that the there's an attack of Mechons on Colony 6 and the closer you get to Colony 6, the more patrols of Mechons you find, nice touch really especially since I didn't know there was an attack on colony 6 when I met the patrols...Also that one time I tried to force a 'roadblock' only to have the whole patrol to dispatch in an epic free for all

Oh and I'm lvl 23

Mojojo

Ok I am completly lost with the side quest, 'What is courage?'
the writer Ewan who decides to go on adventure. From colony 6 i have done both paths up to satorl marshes and Ether mines, no sign of him..? Does the quest mean he is in these zones already? I checked both quickly, no Ewan
Just a hint to set me on the right path would be welcome <3

Edit: Thanks Zafir, found him there :)

Zafir

Mojojo said:
Ok I am completly lost with the side quest, 'What is courage?'
the writer Ewan who decides to go on adventure. From colony 6 i have done both paths up to satorl marshes and Ether mines, no sign of him..? Does the quest mean he is in these zones already? I checked both quickly, no Ewan
Just a hint to set me on the right path would be welcome <3
He's already in the areas. I found him in the marshes. As an hint, he's around where the big green level 80's are before you get to the end of the marshes. It might take you a while to spot him though, he doesn't come up as a ! on the map.

One general tip I'll share. Quick Step III (or above). Stick two of these on your lead character. Now they'll move about the field 20% faster. In other words if it took you 60 seconds to get somewhere, it would now take 48. Quick Step sadly caps at 25%.

So I've been playing for 40 hours now and I'm getting to the point where some sidequests pretty much require reading up on a wiki* (for the sake of sanity). But reading the wiki taught me one thing. Each blue light you get a collectable from has a set drop table with a list of percentages. What this means is for some areas you'll have to grind certain collectable spots for 100%ing the area(due to one type being very rare)/doing sidequests. The best example of this is in the (area)
Royal Tomb
where one of the drops for the types is a few %. I think the drop tables tend to be items from the same category but I've not delved into it with great detail.

*-This is the Japanese one I use. I just go to the maps section, look at the map page and then find the info I need from the related links on each map. This has been fairly spoiler free (I look at the map filename and stop when I'm at the latest area) as I can't read the language so machine translate the bits I need to know. Whigh so far has been very small pieces of info (I'll keep it that way too).

BlazingDarkness said:
Has anyone been writing down on a notepad where all the named NPCs are? I got to
Alcomoth
and was pretty overwhelmed with all the NPC dotted around, and have a terrible memory so I'm tempted to draw a little map and dot them around on there so I know where to go back to
That place is quite easy to find named NPCs, anyway. Some tips:
-(General) they are in blue on the radar.
-(that area)
Most of them spwan at the "teleporters" (the red bits of light) at 06:00 and 18:00.
-(if using the wiki) From my experiance the locations on their maps are a bit rough so I don't really use it for those

Due to the latter (and doing lots of the quests in that area), I'm up to 3* afinity with that populance (I'm on 2* for everyone else). Its kind of odd as the afinity thing is one of those hidden numbers, doing certain quests raises this number, I think its higher if it adds a relation link between two characters.

As for my party afinity. With my current party of
I've got nearly everybody up to the second level. Shulk has one level 4 and a level 3.

but i have no clue how to use Melia(what do her fire and lightning moves do)
Its not clearly explained but once you get the hang of it its good. Basically most her artes do a buff but then if you hit the centre grey arte (the talent guage) she will cast (summon) the respective spell. You can only case 3 spells then you have to summon them. Fire is stength buff and lightning, ether buff but released are an attack that inflicts burn and a general damaging move. Hope that helps.

Spanish Wrath said:
Is there an Official Guide? Or any wiki for the sidequests?
Just linked to one. Only published (book) guides are Japanese. In the UK our guides tend to be US imports and given no US version of the game...

oh god usps. called them up. said they won't tell me unless they have a tracking number. i was about to bitch and say i hope USPS shuts down lulz.

mclem said:
You're ahead of me, and I'm L27. Curse these addictive sidequests!

They're freaking addictive, problem is that I don't have enough time and sometimes I feel like I'm loosing it, so I force myself to advance in the story.

wrowa

Okay, I need help, I still can't decide what to do in the Zukazu and Jiroque quest.
Which choice is the "right" one? Giving the orb to Zukazu or to Jiroque? Will Zukazu come back to the Colony or will he be vanished forever?

Sallokin

The fact that some people on the opposite coast have gotten their copies of the game and I haven't is starting to damage my calm.

thefro

DMPrince said:
oh god usps. called them up. said they won't tell me unless they have a tracking number. i was about to bitch and say i hope USPS shuts down lulz.

Blame Royal Mail for not doing tracking numbers internationally.

USPS does it if you mail packages with them.

mclem

Kerrinck said:
Anyone knows where I can find light skeeters?

Leave Colony 9 via the commercial district entrance and go right down to the lakeside. Along the lake some way - when you go under an overhang - you should encounter them.

Took me a while to find them because I found them early on but had remembered them as "Little Skeeters" (like the ones right outside the entrance) so mentally excluded them from my search.

thefro said:
Blame Royal Mail for not doing tracking numbers internationally.

USPS does it if you mail packages with them.
nah. usps would have told me if i went to the store. they can't tell me otherwise if i give them a dumb stare lol.

mclem

It's fairly obvious that a lot of the general monsters are named through small adaptations of English names for creatures:

Bunniv = Bunny
Caterpile = Caterpillar
Skeeter = Mosquito
Ponio = Pony
Arachne = Arachnid
Antol = Ant

So, to that end, what's a
Hox
? I'm struggling to think of an animal that approximately matches. It looks vaguely like a
beaver

CoolS

Damn it, just when I was about to go back to do some sidequest stuff I left behind for the sake of the story, I reach
Frontier Village
(village name spoiler] That place seem freaking huge and I bet there are tons of new sidequests. I will play this for ages :)

20 hours in now and still loving it. Need to take some time to explore the new areas thoroughly now though before I move on. Oh and go back and kill that damn spider!

Ace 8095

mclem said:
It's fairly obvious that a lot of the general monsters are named through small adaptations of English names for creatures:

Bunniv = Bunny
Caterpile = Caterpillar
Skeeter = Mosquito
Ponio = Pony
Arachne = Arachnid
Antol = Ant

Hox
? I'm struggling to think of an animal that approximately matches. It looks vaguely like a
beaver
Fox?

Schlomo

mclem said:
Hox
beaver

They are the ones with the needles, right? Hedgehogs then, I would think.

Antagon

mclem said:

Bunniv = Bunny
Caterpile = Caterpillar
Skeeter = Mosquito
Ponio = Pony
Arachne = Arachnid
Antol = Ant

Hox
beaver

ground-hog-day.jpg
?

mclem

Antagon said:

Bunniv = Bunny
Caterpile = Caterpillar
Skeeter = Mosquito
Ponio = Pony
Arachne = Arachnid
Antol = Ant

Hox
beaver

Antagon

mclem said:

Bunniv = Bunny
Caterpile = Caterpillar
Skeeter = Mosquito
Ponio = Pony
Arachne = Arachnid
Antol = Ant

Hox
beaver

That's a groundhog that I linked.

Are there any missable quests from before the colony 9 "event"? I think I got mostly everything but.... I know there was that level 18 bird NM that I never got around to murdering that probably has a quest associated with it.

Mael

pancakesandsex said:
Are there any missable quests from before the colony 9 "event"? I think I got mostly everything but.... I know there was that level 18 bird NM that I never got around to murdering that probably has a quest associated with it.

I still got to kill that bloody dragon and I'm way after that 'event' the quest is still available.

Phenomic

DMPrince said:

Still didn't show up today or have they not delivered to you yet? Also, for the last part of that statement. While I won't say the USPS is shutting down, but this isn't good for them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...th-care-plan/2011/08/11/gIQAZxIM9I_story.html

Cwarrior said:

Simply amazing, seems like they have some real fun at Nintendo of Europe. Why can't NOA post amazing stuff like this?

Phenomic said:
Still didn't show up today or have they not delivered to you yet? Also, for the last part of that statement. While I won't say the USPS is shutting down, but this isn't good for them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...th-care-plan/2011/08/11/gIQAZxIM9I_story.html

Simply amazing, seems like they have some real fun at Nintendo of Europe. Why can't NOA post amazing stuff like this?
i wouldn't know until later today when they deliver mail. i just wanted to see if they had my package laying around the office there. I had a problem with USPS once where they returned my stuff back and had to get it resent by the site i ordered which took longer. the redelivery, USPS held it again (i had to time when it was ship and when it should have arrived) i went ahead and asked them in the office and said they had it. they didn't bother with giving me a pink sheet to pick up :\

Gvaz

Banned
schennmu said:
I have a decent PC, but won't even try Dolphin. I want to have this game without any random crashes and a 100% solid framerate. It would just feel "wrong" to me to not play this on the Wii.
Hey! That's how I play the game. Except sometimes I'll get sound bugs but nothing a save and restart won't fix!

Plus with cheats you can speed up the camera's movement which really improves it I think. The camera is just so damn sluggish.

McNum

Oh, the Danish Nintendo news mail has a bit of fun at you guys' expense. A rough translation:
Did you know...
...that the campaign to get Xenoblade Chronicles released in the USA is called "Operation Rainfall"? And that it tries to get Nintendo of America to release Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story in the USA? These three games are already confirmed for release around here, which we thank Nintendo of Europe for!
Cheeky little NoE/Bergsala Denmark.

I've played a little more, and I just love that Sharla is
a shipper. I half wonder if she's got a portmanteau name for Shulk/Melia yet. "Shelia"?
Also, *MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS!*
it's going to be intersting to see what's up with Fiora. If that is her, and not just a body snatcher.
*MAJOR SPOILERS END!*

Also, how do you give gifts in the game? I saw there was an achievement for it, but I have no idea on how to do it.

Luigiv

Phenomic said:
That's from ONM not NoE. Yeah, I know the logo is confusing.

Gvaz

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
I agree really, FFXIII comes out on top technically but in terms of art style and overall direction and design, Xenoblade wins
I played FF13 to the part where the game opens up and Xenoblade is better in every regard other than graphics quality. Even on Dolphin FF13 still has it beat.

KarmaCow

Hooray the game came in. If anyone was wondering, I ordered from ASDA, it shipped Monday last week and I'm in Toronto.

40 minutes to rip it. :(

Gvaz said:
Hey! That's how I play the game. Except sometimes I'll get sound bugs but nothing a save and restart won't fix!

Plus with cheats you can speed up the camera's movement which really improves it I think. The camera is just so damn sluggish.

If you put the camera sensitivity to max, it's perfect for me :). You can change it in options.

Oh, and where the hell is RPGCrazied? He either has the game or he's suffering from a nervous breakdown I guess...

Pyrokai

So I'm not the only one painfully waiting to receive this package from the UK? I ordered mine from Game, and I live in the US. Anyone else still waiting? :(

Just beat an elite crab that was 4 lvl's higher than me. Took me 7 tries but finally got him :p. But it's kind of sad that everything else story related is to low lvl for me :( even the bosses go down without a fight. I guess I'll have to stop doing every sidequest that I get... but it's sooo addictive :(

Top Bottom