• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

As the game progresses it seems to give you more liberty in regards to tackling higher level enemies.

Or maybe I'm getting better at the game... although I seriously doubt it.

:lol

Luigiv

chaosblade said:
Dolphin is a bit more complicated than just running it on a CFW Wii. Standard DVD drives can't read Wii/GCN discs (there is one line of old LG drives that reads them, but those can be hard to come by) so you have to rip the game to a flash drive or HDD then transfer it to your computer.
Actually, you don't have to rip is to a USB drive first, there is a homebrew app available that lets you dump the ISO straight onto your PC hard drive via LAN. However, it's a lot slower then ripping to a USB drive so I would probably recommend the latter anyway.

2San

wrowa said:
If you don't know where they are you probably haven't advanced in the story enough. You would know them otherwise, believe me. :)
Antagon said:
If you've gotten to the area where it is you'd know. You need to go there for a side quest? Just continue with the story then.
Fair enough. ;)

D23

one hour in, i have a bazillion side quest to do in colony 9!!
is there some kind of help that can guide me in doing this??

vitacola

Question:
(spoiler "tip": party is lvl42)
I'm about to leave the capitol with a shuttle and fly with it to the forest. The guard who will fly the shuttle asks me if I'm ready to leave. Are the "clock" quests (I think they are time limited) of the capitol going to vanish now?

Thanks.

Varion

CruxisMana said:
As the game progresses it seems to give you more liberty in regards to tackling higher level enemies.

Or maybe I'm getting better at the game... although I seriously doubt it.

:lol
The main thing that keeps you from tackling higher level enemies at the start is accuracy, because the larger the level difference between you and the enemy the greater your agility (which determines accuracy) is crippled. It's all set numbers though, so if you're 6 levels below the enemy then you lose 120 agility. At the start of the game when you've only got 50 or so then -120 = minus figures so it's impossible to hit anything, but later when you've got way more it's less of an issue.

So yeah, level difference isn't quite as crippling in the late game.

vitacola said:
Question:
(spoiler "tip": party is lvl42)
I'm about to leave the capitol with a shuttle and fly with it to the forest. The guard who will fly the shuttle asks me if I'm ready to leave. Are "clock" quests (I think they are time limited) of the capitol going to vanish now?

Thanks.
No they aren't, and they're not going to vanish for a long time yet.

Need some help with a couple of Frontier Village quests, any help is appreciated

I'm missing one of the challenge quests, I believe it's challenge 4, to defeat Shimmering Forte, where is the NPC to activate this quest?

also

Who is the 'friend' in the hunt for a bug-loving friend quest?

I've been aimlessly wandering around but no luck so far

edit: OK, just found the second one :lol, any help with the first?

Varion said:
The main thing that keeps you from tackling higher level enemies at the start is accuracy, because the larger the level difference between you and the enemy the greater your agility (which determines accuracy) is crippled. It's all set numbers though, so if you're 6 levels below the enemy then you lose 120 agility. At the start of the game when you've only got 50 or so then -120 = minus figures so it's impossible to hit anything, but later when you've got way more it's less of an issue.

Ah. I don't often pay attention to stats other than what little is necessary, so I would never have figured that out.

wsippel

Banned
Level 65, just entered the
facility - or whatever it's called
. The fight against
Jade Face/ Gadolt
was really surprisingly clever, utilizing the gameplay mechanics and combat system to create something that would almost fit in a Metal Gear Solid game. I'm really overleveld though, which certainly made it less impactful.

Go_Ly_Dow

Level 33 in Frontier Village and I'm having to tread really carefully.

Avoiding grouped monsters and most of the single ones :lol

Need to stealth level my characters without being caught by the powerful ones.

2San

Bah so attributes gotten from stones are capped at 50(at least that seems to be the case for Durban for agility? :<

Victrix

*beard*
This might be too early to ask, but for the benefit of my first playthrough:

From what I'm reading, if you do all the 42893428 sidequests, you end up hilariously overleveled and the main storyline is way easy.

For those of you who have beaten the game, can you do most/all of the main storyline and then go back and do other stuff?

Or alternately, are the side quests challenging while you're doing them, even if the main story becomes easier due to outleveling it?

I realize looking for a challenge in a jrpg is silly short of ridiculous challenge playthroughs, I'm just trying to get a general feel for how the game is set up.

InternHertz said:
That's exactly where I'm at :D It's one of the later maps, so you've got a bit of time ahead of you. I'm almost done with that place, only the boss to fight.

lol i dont even have the game yet but I have the soundtrack and I cant stop listening to this song, the battle theme and "Mechanical Rhythm"

Antagon

Victrix said:

From what I'm reading, if you do all the 42893428 sidequests, you end up hilariously overleveled and the main storyline is way easy.

For those of you who have beaten the game, can you do most/all of the main storyline and then go back and do other stuff?

Or alternately, are the side quests challenging while you're doing them, even if the main story becomes easier due to outleveling it?

I realize looking for a challenge in a jrpg is silly short of ridiculous challenge playthroughs, I'm just trying to get a general feel for how the game is set up.

You can do most of the stuff at the end. Quests that are only available through part of the game are marked by clocks and you get a warning when you're about to make them unavailable. And side quests tend to be really easy if you do a lot of them as you outlevel them even more then the main quest.

If you don't do too many sidequests the game will be pretty challenging though, boss / unique mobs that are around your level tend to put up a good fight.

Antagon said:
You can do most of the stuff at the end. Quests that are only available through part of the game are marked by clocks and you get a warning when you're about to make them unavailable. And side quests tend to be really easy if you do a lot of them as you outlevel them even more then the main quest.

If you don't do too many sidequests the game will be pretty challenging though, boss / unique mobs that are around your level tend to put up a good fight.

yeah I just got a 1/4 chubby reading that. brilliant sensibilities indeed

Reveirg

Fascinating, we rarely see such a universal consensus about a game around here... everybody, fans, gaffers and "official" critics seems to praise Xenoblade as being the best RPG of this gen, at least!

Hype has rarely been so high, can't wait for my copy!

Reveirg said:
Fascinating, we rarely see such a universal consensus about a game around here... everybody, fans, gaffers and "official" critics seems to praise Xenoblade as being the best RPG of this gen, at least!

Hype has rarely been so high, can't wait for my copy!

i love your avatar. my fav side character in any FF game. He shouldve been the lead protangonist in XII imo.

wsippel

Banned
Victrix said:

That is certainly true. I just had to deal with a level 58 story boss, while my team is at 65, very well equipped and skilled. Wasn't exactly a fair fight, took maybe a minute. I'm not mad, though.

I just had some grave story stuff happening after about 40 hours at the end of the
Eryth Sea
area.
I thought those cutscenes were really well directed. I love the way Engage the Enemy was used and it's still very remarkable how expressive those low-res faces can be.
Those events also confirmed some of my (rather obvious) suspicions about the Mechons and brought up a few more interesting questions.
I really like were this is going.
Although
I was actually just going to the snow area and that was a bit of a letdown actually. :p At least my first impression was -- haven't explored it a whole lot yet.

Gvaz

Banned
TommyT said:
preface: sorry for the ignorance as I've never used Dolphin...

Can I just buy the PAL version and use it (backed up, or via just disc running in the tray) to play via Dolphin on my PC?

Or, are people using CFW or something on their Wii to play it?
Both. I'm playing it on dolphin and have minor slowdowns, but it's perfectly playable.

Reveirg

JumpingTheGun said:
i love your avatar. my fav side character in any FF game. He shouldve been the lead protangonist in XII imo.

Thanks! Yeah, he's one of my favourite characters too. XII is underestimated by too many people, it's very nice to see Xenoblade following in its footsteps, I hope many others are to come.

For those who haven't tried Magna Carta II, that game uses the same kind of exploration/quests/gameplay systems. It might not be as good as the aforementionned games, but still worth a look.

Cwarrior

Need some help am stuck on the
telethia dragon in forest, the problem am having is that if my mondo sword gauge isn't full and the monster use that aura psychic shield thing then my mondo gauge just won't fill up resulting in making the fight unwinnable, i got as far as the cutscene but then if a skrew up with the sword gauge i have to start the fight again, is there another way of filling the gauge to use purge.

wsippel

Banned
Cwarrior said:
telethia dragon in forest, the problem am having is that if my mondo sword gauge isn't full and the monster use that aura psychic shield thing then my mondo gauge just won't fill up resulting in making the fight unwinnable, i got as far as the cutscene but then if a skrew up with the sword gauge i have to start the fight again, is there another way of filling the gauge to use purge.
Don't spam arts. If you use arts, the Monado gauge doesn't refill. Use auto attacks until the gauge is full, then use arts, and only use the Monado arts when you really need them. Also, equip Haste and Double Strike or whatever it's called. Those are by far the most effective gems for the Monado.

Antagon

Cwarrior said:

You've got a skill to fill up your sword gauge, the one that takes half your hp. It sucks and you need to use it twice meaning that it'll take over a minute, but I've won the fight like that.

Cwarrior said:
auto attack. shulk also has a talent that halfs his hp to fill up talent gauge.

Fomalhaut said:
Oh god, Japanese Dunban sounds worse than English Riki. How is this possible?!

i love english ricky. hes great ;D

wsippel

Banned
Also, one thing regarding hidden stuff, because the game doesn't make it obvious and that stuff is really easy to miss (no story spoilers):
Every character actually has five skill trees, two of which are acquired by doing sidequests. The first quest line is more or less half way through, the second one is endgame. There are also two (quite overpowered) Monado arts you can only acquire through sidequests.

Is it supposed to have black bars at the top and bottom the screen? If you add the black bars together, its almost half of my screen. :\ I'm using component and have the Wii set to 480p. Do I need to make any changes in CFG Loader?

mclem

LevityNYC said:
No copy of Xenoblade in the mail today.... I guess there isn't much "royal" about Royal Mail...

EDIT:

Royally slow

Actually, it means that the Queen has to individually approve every single piece of mail. She's got a backlog at the moment, but she should be getting to this year's mail in a month or so.

2San

Another question. I need light Rain Element these seem to drop from Aqua Neblua's are those at the marsh ok? Or do I need to w8 for the rain and kill em on colony 6/ Bionis leg. Or can I get it some other way?

bubnbob

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
lol i dont even have the game yet but I have the soundtrack and I cant stop listening to this song, the battle theme and "Mechanical Rhythm"

Mechanical Rhythm is a battle theme itself : D

2San said:
Another question. I need light Rain Element these seem to drop from Aqua Neblua's are those at the marsh ok? Or do I need to w8 for the rain and kill em on colony 6/ Bionis leg. Or can I get it some other way?
i got it from spiral valley, bionis leg.

Big Papa Husker said:
Is it supposed to have black bars at the top and bottom the screen? If you add the black bars together, its almost half of my screen. :\ I'm using component and have the Wii set to 480p. Do I need to make any changes in CFG Loader?

Are you playing on a 4:3 SDTV or an HDTV? You shouldn't need to make any changes in Cfg beyond force NTSC, I think.

edit: derp.

Famassu

JumpingTheGun said:
I've had the OST for over a year before this localization... Bit of a JRPG OST maniac (though, not limited to just JRPGs) and Yoko Shimomura & Yasunori Mitsuda fan.

Top Bottom