• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

McNum

A Human Becoming said:
Is your avatar supposed to look like that or did you just do a shitty photoshop job?
It's supposed to look like that. It's Twilight Sparkle after getting bumped into a wall during a birthday party for an alligator. It makes sense in context, honest!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
BlazingDarkness said:
If the VA was the typical American effort then I'd be going with the Japanese without question
The British VA does it for me
It has nothing to do with it being British/American or not... but the British VA is very good and works very well in this world, in its own way.

MechaX

BocoDragon said:
It has nothing to do with it being British/American or not... but the British VA is very good and works very well in this world, in its own way.

For a few that I know are interested in a game, it's definitely part of it. Good VA is one-thing, but good British VA adds something very different to the various amount of Japanese games drowning in Yuri Lowenthall/Johnny Bosch/Laura Bailey dubs these days.

Reknoc

BocoDragon said:

But if it did have American VA then we'd be hearing the exact same guys as we do in every other game. Shulk would probably be voiced by JYB.

BocoDragon

MechaX said:
For a few that I know are interested in a game, it's definitely part of it. Good VA is one-thing, but good British VA adds something very different to the various amount of Japanese games drowning in Yuri Lowenthall/Johnny Bosch/Laura Bailey dubs these days.
On the other hand... many were dreading the Euro-dub.

Let's just agree that it's a good dub because it's a good dub. :)

Jomjom

Banned
Reknoc said:
But if it did have American VA then we'd be hearing the exact same guys as we do in every other game. Shulk would probably be voiced by JYB.

Actually all members of the party would be voiced by Nolan North, even the females.

BocoDragon said:

It's different to normal though- British dubs are normally saved for medieval themed games, like Dragon Quest, to give the classic example. This type of world- the one with plenty of mechanical elements- normally gets the standard American dub. So it's a nice change to get a British dub here.

Also, characters say 'mum'. I haven't been this happy since Nintendogs used the pound symbol. :D

BlazingDarkness said:
Well it is the best RPG this gen ;)

It's good. It's not TWEWY. :p

BocoDragon

Green Scar said:
It's different to normal though- British dubs are normally saved for medieval themed games, like Dragon Quest, to give the classic example. This type of world- the one with plenty of mechanical elements- normally gets the standard American dub. So it's a nice change to get a British dub here.

It is a neat effect. There's something more appropriate about it than I would have ever expected.

Green Scar said:
I haven't been this happy since Nintendogs used the pound symbol. :D
Probably just the PAL version.

BocoDragon said:
Probably just the PAL version.

It was nice of them to make the effort for a change though, lol.

I wonder if when the (surely inevitable, at this point?) US release happens, they'll fix the script to American English. I hope not, out of spite, if only for years of American English in UK releases :p

BocoDragon said:
It is a neat effect. There's something more appropriate about it than I would have ever expected.

(Character spoilers, maybe?)

I really enjoy the contrast between the Hom's and the
High Entia in terms of their accents, with the latter having significantly more well spoken accents showing their inherent greater sophistication.

It's a nice touch that I imagine they could have just skipped entirely if they had wanted too.

BocoDragon

CruxisMana said:
(Character spoilers, maybe?)

I really enjoy the contrast between the Hom's and the
High Entia in terms of their accents, with the latter have significantly more middle class accents showing their inherent greater sophistication.
It's a nice touch that I imagine they could have just skipped entirely if they had wanted too.
Yeah there was that scene where Reyn says
"I don't like 'er accent" and suddenly I realized I was witnessing some working class English vs Queen's English shit going down.

Green Scar said:

I wonder if when the (surely inevitable, at this point?) US release happens, they'll fix the script to American English. I hope not, out of spite, if only for years of American English in UK releases :p

Eh, the script isn't that bad. Nintendo Treehouse would probably have done a tighter job, but there are actually very few "britishisms" -- at least so far.

BocoDragon

Green Scar said:

IS it surely inevitable? I wouldn't place my bet on it...

I barely notice anything in the script that is different from American spelling... but I am Canadian (we officially use British spelling, but we consume American media releases... so I think our brains are trained to ignore the differences :p)

SecretMoblin said:
Eh, the script isn't that bad. Nintendo Treehouse would probably have done a tighter job, but there are actually very few "britishisms" -- at least so far.

I wouldn't mind any Britishisms at all (I am British, obv) but yeah, I do agree. It's a tight script. On par with anything else that comes to mind.

And the game seems to be selling great, for what it is. Hence my feeling about the inevitability of a Stateside release. They've probably already decided 2012 is for the Wii will be a fucking wasteland, though. Bleh.

Chanser said:
Anyone know how to kill those Nebulas? They keep on exploding on me.
They are pretty resistant against physical attacks and weak against ether. Trying using the latter on them to kill 'em fast before they have a chance to blow up.

Wow, only just realized there is a clock around the mini map, lol.

Also I totally got used to the not extremely detailed character models. To some extent I love them, because I always hated how the uncanny valey effect destroyed every little bit of imagination after the 2d/32-bit era. And Shulk looks like a character from PSO. Win.

Aeana

The localization this game received is top-notch. The typography is iffy as hell, but the writing and voice work is fantastic. It's fairly obvious to me that the actors ad-libbed a little bit on the script and even in the battle quips, which makes it sound much more natural.

BocoDragon

Twilight Princess said:
I seriously doubt the game would sell well enough to warrant a north America release. But if that does come true, I will buy another copy for sure.
I think the reason for its release in PAL, and its non release in North America, is entirely down to the varying corporate ideology of NoE and NoA, not the rationale of sales profits per se.

schennmu said:
Also I totally got used to the not extremely detailed character models. To some extent I love them, because I always hated how the uncanny valey effect destroyed every little bit of imagination after the 2d/32-bit era.
Yeah, it's pretty nifty how they are animating those low-res textures to get some convincing expressions out of it.

Varion

BocoDragon said:
I just realized there's a distinct disadvantage to playing in Japanese if you don't understand it. The battle banter isn't just empty catchphrases, they're giving you status checks on the battles. There's all kinds of details "this isn't going too well", "time for a triple attack" etc.

Unless they add subtitles of all these battle phrases when you play in Japanese...
They don't, but to be fair you generally know when a battle isn't going too well without being told. The party gauge one can be useful, but it's not quite like Resonance of Fate where if you used the Japanese audio without understanding Japanese you were missing half the game's dialogue.

Just a few cutscenes off where I stopped last year now! Can't wait. All that new stuff I haven't experienced.

BocoDragon said:
Yeah there was that scene where Reyn says
"I don't like 'er accent" and suddenly I realized I was witnessing some working class English vs Queen's English shit going down.

Yeah. That's the scene that took my appreciation of the voice acting to the new level.

As for British/American English, I haven't seem a lot of unnecessary Z's floating around so I'm content.

:lol

Reveirg

It's already been said that there's no Beastiary. However, is there any other in-game references? I love these things. Quests log? Story summaries? Info on the world? Etc.

meppi

reektann said:
Already had the regular version of this but after 10 hours and beaming with delight I simply had to order the Limited Edition with the pad too...I love when developers put real effort into their titles... TAKE MY MONEY!
I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing.

I can always gift the game to a friend, but I don't know if he'd like it as he doesn't play RPGs normally.
He loved Twilight Princess though, so who knows...

CruxisMana said:
Yeah. That's the scene that took my appreciation of the voice acting to the new level.

As for British/American English, I haven't seem a lot of unnecessary Z's floating around so I'm content.

Somewhat off-topic, but I remember as an American kid reading poems and short stories from British authors. They were always localized, which I found really odd. I thought the British were forced to spell poorly by the Queen or something. :)

I did it! I got Homebrew running and Gecko OS! Im quite proud of myself as Ive never done anything like this before, Now Im just missing one final, vital component....

the fucking game.

Reveirg said:
However, is there any other in-game references? I love these things. Quests log? Story summaries? Info on the world? Etc.

Yes and yes to an extent.

You can develop a relationship/affinity with any named NPC in the game, as well as party members, so there is a massive chart that keeps track of that.

Information about the world itself is a part of the main story, so you'll have to progress through the game to find out more than the basics that are on the box.

BocoDragon said:
I think the reason for its release in PAL, and its non release in North America, is entirely down to the varying corporate ideology of NoE and NoA, not the rationale of sales profits per se.
NoC might just go behind NOA and release xenoblade!

Regarding the ending, the unmarked spoiler thread is awfully lonely.

JumpingTheGun said:
I did it! I got Homebrew running and Gecko OS! Im quite proud of myself as Ive never done anything like this before, Now Im just missing one final, vital component....

the fucking game.

Congrats! It was terrifying when the screen went black that first time... and then the installer stuff showed up. I'm really glad I did it, though.

Varion

Reveirg said:
It's already been said that there's no Beastiary. However, is there any other in-game references? I love these things. Quests log? Story summaries? Info on the world? Etc.
There's a log of every quest you've done and how far you are in it, a huge chart of the relationships between different townsfolk and their daily 'awake times', and a list of all the affection based scenes and whether you've seen them or not. And your play awards.

No story summaries, glossaries or anything though.

Just came home to a beautiful package from royal mail... Of course it comes the day I go back to work, but oh well, at least I have it. haha... My stats are as follows: ordered last monday, delivered last tuesday by game, I am in the south side of chicago, arrived usps (think I covered the usual questions, people ask)

But now to actually talk about the game. For some reason...I really sort of like to hold off on listening to ost's until I play the game, especially when I hear such good reviews on the music....and I am so glad I did....this soundtrack is just amaaaaazing! Glad I can experience it as I play. :)

Ok, the five minutes I just wasted making the post is time lost on playing.

SecretMoblin said:
Somewhat off-topic, but I remember as an American kid reading poems and short stories from British authors. They were always localized, which I found really odd. I thought the British were forced to spell poorly by the Queen or something. :)

Haha.

I was taught that American English was just plain wrong and you'd be told off if you used American spellings in your work, as I was on a few occasions.

So to me American English DOES look like words are being misspelt.

XPE

About 4 hours in just got to the knee, so far I'm enjoying it, I'm not the biggest fan of jrpgs but the lack of turn based combat gives the game a better pace.

Also the music is good, it does a great job of creating atmosphere.

RPGCrazied

There is a spoilers thread, a game thread, should be a thread to bitch and moan still waiting to get their copy. :p I'm sure people are tired of hearing it, specially in a thread that should be all about the game.

RPGCrazied said:
There is a spoilers thread, a game thread, should be a thread to bitch and moan still waiting to get their copy. :p I'm sure people are tired of hearing it, specially in a thread that should be all about the game.

I think I speak for everyone when I saw that your exploits bring a certain character to this thread that I certainly wouldn't want to disappear.

Truezeldafan said:
But now to actually talk about the game. For some reason...I really sort of like to hold off on listening to ost's until I play the game, especially when I hear such good reviews on the music....and I am so glad I did....this soundtrack is just amaaaaazing! Glad I can experience it as I play. :)
Speaking of the OST: I can't get over how amazing Engage the Enemy is. Such a varied, upbeat and powerful track.
Undoubtedly one of the best videogame tracks I've heard in a long time.

CoolS

Its Kind of funny, everytime I read up ob this thread, I basically can skip at least half of the posts since they are about importing.

NoA really seems to have screwed up Big time here.

RPGCrazied

Well, UK seems to be slacking in keeping up with the demand. What if they decide not to get another reorder from Nintendo? Then you can look forward to spending $100 on eBay for a copy.

Top Bottom