• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Antagon

LaneDS said:
He's asking about how there is an ocean
that floats in the sky above a rain forest. And I think the answer is "it's a game with all sorts of things that can't be explained logically"

Magic

Luigiv

duckroll said:
I think there is a logical answer to that particular question. I'll just rather not answer it right now.

Gravity works normally everywhere else. The center of gravity is the ground below the Bionis and the Mechonis.
Oh so there is a logical answer presented?

In this case I'm going to guess that
the endless expanse of sea is actually a small part of a giant spherical planet made of normal geographic feature on a massive scale
and Xenoblade 2
will be set on the continent that the Bionis and Mechonis came from in the first place, populated by other, similarly sized gods.

Mind you that's absolutely baseless speculation (I don't have the game yet and have been avoiding spoilers like the plague) but I've used spoiler tags on the miniscule chance that I'm actually right and do end up spoiling it for someone.

Varion said:
It will.

96:02 playtime now, L68 and 286 quests (excluding story quests) done.

Damn, I'm at about 36 hours and I'm level 42. Does it just get really hard to level up later in the game? I feel like I'm over leveled and I haven't even been doing that many quests.

Alright, what's the problem with this game's resolution? It looks the the Wii is trying to scale the resolution to 640x480. I can say that for sure going by the 2D elements. lso, why can't the game run in fullscreen like every other Wii game? Dang.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
For those guys reporting clock times above 100 hours, did they fix the clock in the PAL version? As far as I know, the japanese version stopped at 99:59, but I don't know if they changed that or you are based on the console playtime.

spidye

I'm in love with console jrpg's again. I'd never thought that this genre can gain my interest again after the aweful, aweful ff13 and other mediocre rpg games this gen.

Pikma

Banned
Lol, so many spoiler tags!

I want to play this game so bad :(
Does anyone know how long does it take to ship to the US? I'm getting the CCP package from GAME, but haven't ordered it yet, but hopefully I will do it tomorrow. :)

wrowa

Pikma said:
Lol, so many spoiler tags!

I want to play this game so bad :(
Does anyone know how long does it take to ship to the US? I'm getting the CCP package from GAME, but haven't ordered it yet, but hopefully I will do it tomorrow. :)
Expect a delivery time of 2-3 weeks and you are set. It might arrive sooner, but you shouldn't count on it.

This is crazy. I've ordered games FROM THE SAME PLACE I pre-ordered xenoblade, that were ordered AND despatched AFTER xenoblade, but somehow they've arrived in the mail and it hasn't. Scary. Hope nothing happened to my copy.

I know, I need to calm down, lol

Finalow

Varion said:
They can do pretty crazy amounts of damage if you use the colour chains well. I can do about 30,000 with a critical Backslash (just to give an idea of relative damage output), but I think my record damage for a complete chain combo is something like 250,000. Just pick a colour and use it, if you're in the right position for one of Shulk's arts then all the better, and then mix in talent arts if they're available because they can take advantage of any colour's chain multiplier.
uh? The only thing that i can do is break - topple - attack, apart from this i can attack normally with my party.

BluWacky said:
I use the Japanese Xenoblade wiki, which has a complete listing of quests as far as I've come across as yet. I appreciate this isn't an ideal option as Google Translate will spit nonsense at you unless you're able to parse the Japanese to some extent, but it's a pretty complete resource and has some excellent tips.

It's a shame that even with the excellent explanations the game gives you I still feel the need to look up where I should be going for some of these quests, but I'd have gone insane trying to farm Glowing Wisp Fluid, so...
I prefer this site as it tends to have more links to things. Like an NPC you can click on the name and get info on that NPC. But the wiki does have the advance of being more concise.

Laughing Banana said:
[*]Let's just say the party is A (Party Leader), B, and C. If I want to raise affinity between B and C, do I have to switch the party leader to B or to C?
[*]I am not that clear about Gem Crafting... anyone can explain this for me? :eek:
B and C can get raises to affinity in battle for things like encouragement but switching leading to B or C will make this a lot faster as chain attacks will now do a bit of affinity raising.

Gem crafting basics. You insert crystals of attributes until you have over 100% (when the this happens the game won't let you add any more, so plan the order you add them to get the attribute as high as possible, this is a chore). Then you craft them. You want to aim on having over 200% in a stat area at the end to enter something called heat stats which means the gem you get is a level higher. There is also
Mega heat while will be a level higher and two of them
. Gems have a stat range for each level so bearly over 100 will be minstat for that attibute and level (there is still a gap between maxstat on one level and minstat of another). Its best to abuse save and reload and get a feel for it. There are some other tricks you can do (moreso later in the game) to maximise your chances (which I've put in the spoiler below). One thing you can do now is you might have noticed you can sometimes take crystals that are below 100 when completing crafting. This is based on the number of turns it is up to.

But really just trying it out is the way to go.

Varion said:
In other news, went back to Colony 9 to try and take on some of the L70ish enemies... and get a Rank 5 gem crystal drop. Awesome. Going to be seeing what these enemies give me for a bit I think! One of them already Ether Up Rank 5s which will be needed for one character at least.
Gem crafting spoilers (its more method that you can use later in the game than anything else)
Heat on a level 5 crystal makes a level 6 gem, remember that mega heat will not only be max stat but you get two of them. Use the trick saving them using the party member that starts with 3 turns (so you will always pick 3 crystals) with 2 or 3 (or more if feeling lucky?) crystals of different attributes but lowish % and hoping you fail to craft anything (one your engineers is terrible at 2 flames they might the one to use). You then collect the crystals which will now be at a higher %. Do this so you have a matching pair at >~70 then save and use those two on your best and hope for mega heat. If you fail, reload and try again (maybe swap shooter and engineer)

finalozzo said:
i'm seeing that a chain combo isn't worth it, it's better to use those bars for reviving your allies. Or at least i can say this after 7 hours.
They have uses like raising affinity and the one your first usage of it showed (inflicting topple)

The Spoony Hou said:
Alright, what's the problem with this game's resolution? It looks the the Wii is trying to scale the resolution to 640x480. I can say that for sure going by the 2D elements. lso, why can't the game run in fullscreen like every other Wii game? Dang.
The game only runs in 16:9 so on a 16:9 set with the Wii set to 16:9 it fills the whole screen* but is letterboxed on 4:3**. Also make sure you are actually running the game in 480i/p (is your Wii set to that or if importing, try using other force NTSC options).
*-But is anamorphic so retangular pixels which is why it might look odd
**-i.e. is downscaling and rendering black bars, joy.

The lack of 4:3 is the only flaw you can say about the game but remember, the Nintendo Channel collects such metadata so Nintendo themselves probably found very few Wii owners with 4:3. I recall hearing DKCR and Kirby's Epic Yarn are in the same boat (you kind of having to be with 2D platformers from a design principle; you don't want Jumps that are only possible on 16:9 sets due to 4:3 viewers not being able to see the other end and/or game is too easy for 16:9 users).

finalozzo said:
uh? The only thing that i can do is break - topple - attack, apart from this i can attack normally with my party.
I'm sure the in-game help explained this but anyway. The different colour of artes (they tend to be categories of effects but anyway). In a chain attack using the same colour twice in a row gives a multiplier to damage (thats what the colour Chain x1 that appears is about). White(talent artes) act as a wildcard so will add to the multiplier no matter what and the next person in the chain and use any colour arte to again up the multiplier.

But early on topple is the most useful thing to do with it. I have to say the only way to easily unlock the full damage potential is using (party spoilers)
Mellia, as her mechanic allows her to store 3 talent artes which makes getting to 5x damage easier

Also they raise affinity by 1 heart (whatever that is in actual numbers) between the leader and other party members.

Mind blowing thing that occured chain attacks. (what happened, I don't spoil anything apart form what happened)
I was being attacked by an enemy I couldn't reach so decided to trigger chain attack (as the gauge was full) and what happened was shocking...the in-game AI used pathfinding to run up to this enemy
. (a bit of the area context)
The enemy was up on a ledge with a flight of stairs the other side of the room with a few corners in it being the only route...to be fair I think the other party members were already running that way when I initiated. Given the angles involved I was half expecting to get stuck running into a wall

Bennettt2

I'm at
Valak Mountain
where there is a big
spider at level 47 and her minions
. I'm only on lv.43 so will I be eaten alive or should I get more exp.?

Also, any good ideas on places to level up in relation to where I am in the game?

MicH

JumpingTheGun said:
Day 12 of the wait. Im going to doubt it showing up in my mailbox today...
I didn't get it today. I'm almost certain it got lost and GAME still isn't responding to my e-mails. I'm gonna reorder somewhere else. Christ.

EDIT: Holy hell, I'm a MEMBER now! Time for celebration in these depressing times!

Yeah, don't just order a second copy. At the end you'll end up with two games and you'll have a lot of trouble to get a refund.

Also, the game did really well in France. :p

87m2hiv.png

France:
Week 33, 2011

01 (__) [WII] Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo)
02 (01) [3DS] The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo)
03 (__) [WII] Xenoblade Chronicles + Classic Controller Pro (Nintendo)
04 (02) [WII] Zumba Fitness (Digital Bros)
05 (04) [PS3] Call of Duty : Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)

PetrCobra

I have this older quest that's driving me crazy. I'm supposed to kill
Wallside Gwynry in Tephtra Cave
but he is not anywhere near the place where he is supposed to be. I have killed a unique nearby before actually, but this one never respawned (checked like ten times already), could it be him? It was
where one side of that U-shaped corridor is blocked, he came to defend the small lizards I was slaughtering
and it wasn't an easy fight at that time, so I didn't pay attention to the name.

legend166

Once again I feel like I have this weird thing where I just get through games really quickly even though I don't fee like I'm rushing.

I'm at level 19, and the clock says 6:45.

Looking at some of the times on here, that's supersonic speed.

MicH

But it has taken 9 working days now. It should take 6 and have never taken more than 5 days all in all from GAME before. Urgh. I'm starting classes in a week, so I fear I won't even get to play it.

RE: Sales. France charts are a week behind. Counting the seperate SKUs on their own is hardocre but assuming the 8000 figure is real for the CC Pro package makes depressing reading for that week in France. Last weeks UK charts will be tomorrow (bank holiday here).

Bennettt2 said:
I'm at
Valak Mountain
where there is a big
spider at level 47 and her minions
. I'm only on lv.43 so will I be eaten alive or should I get more exp.?

Also, any good ideas on places to level up in relation to where I am in the game?
If the one you are talking about is in a location called
Antol lair
do not fight it yet as it is one of the end bosses of a sidequest tree* with a nice reward. If however it is called
Valek King
and located
on the cliffs
you'll probably get eaten alive but it might be worth trying.

*-This sidequest tree is a pain. I'll explain it the
Nopon Camp researcher givens you a quest to kill Antols and Chiikens. After that he says a fellow researcher went down the mountain and didn't come back. Finding this reacher gives you a quest to beat. Going back to the camp when completing this is another quest. Completion of that gives you that final quest (I spent 30 minues looking for the antol lair :( )
. Why go to all this effort? (the nice reward)
The 4th skill tree for Dunban, might completely change how you use him since it has equipment weight -10 and heavy armour OK

I might write up a post on similar sidequest trees later and much better explained. As yesterday when I looked at Gamefaqs the info was scattered and useless.

PetrCobra said:
I have this older quest that's driving me crazy. I'm supposed to kill...
Save and reload. Keep doing that and it'll eventually respwan*. Your location is correct.
*-This is also a way to make regular monsters respwan. It nearly always quicker than quick traveling back to a landmark so handy to do when you need an item they drop.

Bennettt2

Starwolf_UK said:
If the one you are talking about is in a location called
Antol lair
do not fight it yet as it is one of the end bosses of a sidequest tree* with a nice reward. If however it is called
Valek King
and located
on the cliffs
you'll probably get eaten alive but it might be worth trying.

thanks! It looks like i'll have to level up anyway.

Anybody been experimenting with good leveing up locations?

Dragon

Banned
MicH said:
But it has taken 9 working days now. It should take 6 and have never taken more than 5 days all in all from GAME before. Urgh. I'm starting classes in a week, so I fear I won't even get to play it.

When I click on my order status link in my shipped email from Game I get redirected to the homepage. I have a fear that they cancelled my order :/.

Zornica

Banned
Starwolf_UK said:
*-This sidequest tree is a pain. I'll explain it the
Nopon Camp researcher givens you a quest to kill Antols and Chiikens. After that he says a fellow researcher went down the mountain and didn't come back. Finding this reacher gives you a quest to beat. Going back to the camp when completing this is another quest. Completion of that gives you that final quest (I spent 30 minues looking for the antol lair :( )
. Why go to all this effort? (the nice reward)
The 4th skill tree for Dunban, might completely change how you use him since it has equipment weight -10 and heavy armour OK

i found the
antol lair
pretty fast, but i cant find the
other leader... that chiikenguy. he isn't on the japanese map either oO wtf?
i need little hint please :)

Dascu

Zornica said:
i found the
antol lair
You don't have to look very far. Check out the Antol Lair again.

PetrCobra said:
I have this older quest that's driving me crazy. I'm supposed to kill
Wallside Gwynry in Tephtra Cave
but he is not anywhere near the place where he is supposed to be. I have killed a unique nearby before actually, but this one never respawned (checked like ten times already), could it be him? It was
where one side of that U-shaped corridor is blocked, he came to defend the small lizards I was slaughtering
and it wasn't an easy fight at that time, so I didn't pay attention to the name.
That's the one. Keep reloading your save until he shows up again.

Zornica said:
i found the
antol lair
I knew from this Japanese site
That he is very slightly to the west
(more exact)
Fight the eggs, he is hiding in one, the others contain allies of his

MicH

TheBranca18 said:
When I click on my order status link in my shipped email from Game I get redirected to the homepage. I have a fear that they cancelled my order :/.
I think that's because they redesigned their website recently. Looks horrible in my opinion.I highly doubt they cancelled your order without telling you. But who knows! When did yours get shipped out?

Dragon

Banned
MicH said:
I think that's because they redesigned their website recently. Looks horrible in my opinion.I highly doubt they cancelled your order without telling you. But who knows! When did yours get shipped out?

The 21st, so eight days ago. I still have to wait another week probably :/.

slaughterking said:
Yeah, don't just order a second copy. At the end you'll end up with two games and you'll have a lot of trouble to get a refund.

87m2hiv.png

France:
Week 33, 2011

Incidentally Xenoblade and OoT 3D are pretty much the only RPG/Adventure games that currently have commercials shown on French TV.

PetrCobra

Starwolf_UK said:
Save and reload. Keep doing that and it'll eventually respwan*. Your location is correct.
*-This is also a way to make regular monsters respwan. It nearly always quicker than quick traveling back to a landmark so handy to do when you need an item they drop.
Great, it worked after fifth reload or so. Thank you!

slaughterking said:

87m2hiv.png

France:
Week 33, 2011

I love how it actually occupies the first and third spots!

Finalow

Starwolf_UK said:
--

I'm sure the in-game help explained this but anyway. The different colour of artes (they tend to be categories of effects but anyway). In a chain attack using the same colour twice in a row gives a multiplier to damage (thats what the colour Chain x1 that appears is about). White(talent artes) act as a wildcard so will add to the multiplier no matter what and the next person in the chain and use any colour arte to again up the multiplier.

But early on topple is the most useful thing to do with it. I have to say the only way to easily unlock the full damage potential is using (party spoilers)
Mellia, as her mechanic allows her to store 3 talent artes which makes getting to 5x damage easier

Also they raise affinity by 1 heart (whatever that is in actual numbers) between the leader and other party members.

Mind blowing thing that occured chain attacks. (what happened, I don't spoil anything apart form what happened)
I was being attacked by an enemy I couldn't reach so decided to trigger chain attack (as the gauge was full) and what happened was shocking...the in-game AI used pathfinding to run up to this enemy
. (a bit of the area context)
The enemy was up on a ledge with a flight of stairs the other side of the room with a few corners in it being the only route...to be fair I think the other party members were already running that way when I initiated. Given the angles involved I was half expecting to get stuck running into a wall
ok, thanks.

mh, dunban or reyn? I prefer dunban but reyn is pretty good.

wsippel

Banned
slaughterking said:

87m2hiv.png

France:
Week 33, 2011

And now we know why France got the preferred treatment, art book and all.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Man, I seriously hate when rpg final bosses are significantly higher level than everything leading up to them. I'm at the end and have slaughtered everything up to now with ease, but can't even scratch the final boss. In ~10 attempts I did maybe 10% damage. Checking gamefaqs all I found is that I'm probably 6-7 levels lower than I am 'supposed' to be.

I'm on
_____Zanza in space, 2nd form____
and I don't supposed there is something obvious I am missing about this fight? Because otherwise fuck grinding, guess I won't be beating this and will just wait for someone to post the ending on youtube.

bubnbob

Banned
slayn said:
Man, I seriously hate when rpg final bosses are significantly higher level than everything leading up to them. I'm at the end and have slaughtered everything up to now with ease, but can't even scratch the final boss. In ~10 attempts I did maybe 10% damage. Checking gamefaqs all I found is that I'm probably 6-7 levels lower than I am 'supposed' to be.

I'm on
_____Zanza in space, 2nd form____
and I don't supposed there is something obvious I am missing about this fight? Because otherwise fuck grinding, guess I won't be beating this and will just wait for someone to post the ending on youtube.

I complained about the same issue. Be at least high 70s. Sorry, nothing much to offer. I got wasted at ~74, but when I took the time to eek out a few more levels, he went down without a hassle.

The ending is worth it, though.

daakusedo

I bring some info about jiroque and zuzaku quest.

I try the two possibilities and by seeing on the sociogram that zuzaku was close to Earnest, i give him the orb. When he leaves he say he will come back and you can find him at the camp on bionis leg, creating a link with Earnest.

So I'm not sure but maybe if he really come back to colony 9, you can also do the quests to help him with his adoptive mother.

Varion

Starwolf_UK said:
Gem crafting spoilers (its more method that you can use later in the game than anything else)
Heat on a level 5 crystal makes a level 6 gem, remember that mega heat will not only be max stat but you get two of them. Use the trick saving them using the party member that starts with 3 turns (so you will always pick 3 crystals) with 2 or 3 (or more if feeling lucky?) crystals of different attributes but lowish % and hoping you fail to craft anything (one your engineers is terrible at 2 flames they might the one to use). You then collect the crystals which will now be at a higher %. Do this so you have a matching pair at >~70 then save and use those two on your best and hope for mega heat. If you fail, reload and try again (maybe swap shooter and engineer)
Pretty much what I've been doing since accidentally stumbling on it, yeah. Didn't know you definitely got the max stat value by doing it though, thanks for that.

cacildo

LaneDS said:
He's asking about how there is an ocean
that floats in the sky above a rain forest. And I think the answer is "it's a game with all sorts of things that can't be explained logically"

Nah, they probably have something to say about this in game. Maybe if i get to the ending i have some sort of answer.

Ever since i saw this concept of world-is-a-giant i started to think about how gravity would work.

At Bionis Leg you can see the giant sword above your head, meaning youre up in Bionis thigh, therefore in line with the gravity of the ocean/planet below.

But at nopon village you are in Bionis back, you look up and there´s something that looks like an ocean (but it could be ether flying like in Satorl Marsh, but it looked a lot like an ocean)

wrowa

cacildo said:
Nah, they probably have something to say about this in game. Maybe if i get to the ending i have some sort of answer.

Ever since i saw this concept of world-is-a-giant i started to think about how gravity would work.

At Bionis Leg you can see the giant sword above your head, meaning youre up in Bionis thigh, therefore in line with the gravity of the ocean/planet below.

But at nopon village you are in Bionis back, you look up and there´s something that looks like an ocean (but it could be ether flying like in Satorl Marsh, but it looked a lot like an ocean)
It is an ocean. The nopon even tell you that. It's Eryth Sea

Mojojo

Decided to tackle a lot of sidequests before going on with
Sword valley
, so I have a few questions, related to
Valak Mountain
:

First one
I found the three sages summit; I have 2 of the three giant stones (one from the marsh, the other from the forest-King Agni tomb).. I am guessing the 3rd you can get from sidequesting in Alcamoth/Eryth Sea or do you find it after sword valley?
Second one
I haven't found any quests related to La LuZ Church (to enter it), and I think I did all of them (I even obtained the 4 th skill set for Dunban) as I can't find any new quest giver.
thanks in advance.

37 hours now. Location:
Sword Valley/Galahad Fortress.

I'm only level 50 so tomorrow I need to do some sidequests/grinding before I progress any further through
Galahad Fortress
since I had to be cautious as I crossed
Sword Valley at level 45.

At this point in the game were is the best place for EXP reward sidequests or doing a light bit of grinding (I'd rather the former). I want to aim to be level 55-ish.

Story/Boss:
I would like to think that that is Mumkhar out of the way for good, but considering how many times he keeps disappearing or getting saved at the last moment I somehow doubt it. The boss battle was probably the most difficult so far for me because I was only level 48 when he is level 52. Once the two Xord models were down it got easy, since I kept getting surround and shoved against the battle barrier by the 3 of them. I did hate Mumkhar's automatic daze attack though. Came very close to dying each time he used it.

And there were some not so subtle hints that Gadolt is a Face now.

ivysaur12

Banned
slaughterking said:

87m2hiv.png

France:
Week 33, 2011

The original Baten Kaitos also did (comparatively) very well in France. This makes me happy.

Mojojo said:
First one
I found the three sages summit; I have 2 of the three giant stones (one from the marsh, the other from the forest-King Agni tomb).. I am guessing the 3rd you can get from sidequesting in Alcamoth/Eryth Sea or do you find it after sword valley?
Second one
I haven't found any quests related to La LuZ Church (to enter it), and I think I did all of them (I even obtained the 4 th skill set for Dunban) as I can't find any new quest giver.
thanks in advance.
I think the asnwer to both is
End-game sidequests. At least the level 98 enemies at three sage summit make me think that. I hear one of the quest lines is different if you never completed Adventurers in Peril.

Also you said you did a lot of sidequests you might like to know that in theory it should be possible to have
done the 4th skill tree quests for everyone in your party
at this point. Its just most of them
have quite a lot of pre-requirements which can make it a bit tedious if you don't know which these are

Top Bottom