• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Varion

Mojojo said:
Doing quests in
Alcamoth
is soooooooooooo frustrating. Finally caved in and used this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US#gid=11 to know the locations and time of npcs.

For those who have unlocked the 4th characters skillset, I have a problem for one party member :
Rikki. I know you need to speak to dabidabi and jump from 7th floor to the reservoir, but Dabidabi offers no quest ... I have 5 stars with Frontier Village,, done a truckload of quests there, unlocked all 4th skills for all the other companions (minus the 7th one)..
So I don't know what I could have missed? Maybe it is linked to the Nopon sage 's quests? I have done 2 quests for him then he tells me I am not ready to continue yet with his tests..
Storywise, I am about to leave the Hidden village to go to the mechonis capital
It shouldn't be linked to those quests as far as I know.

You do one of the quests for the two doctor Nopons that don't get on (which is available after finishing at Prison Island, one's Medi), then you do a quest which is unlocked by this (where a named Nopon by the 1F armour shop asks you to collect stuff), then you do another one given to you by Npa where he wants the two doctors to get on and you end up having to go back to the leg, then you do another one for Medi where you have to talk to Puko.

THEN you should be able to get the quest you want. If you've done all of those then I don't know what to suggest though.

Also dammit people, being united in the face of a hater is one thing but we don't have to fight over other games instead.

ziran

Well, I thought it looked good and was pleased I was able to give it a try with it being translated, but wasn't prepared for it being this great! I have to say this game is AMAZING! Truly spectacular and certainly one of the best RPGs (and games) I've ever played.

I'm about 30 hours in and it's everything I want from an RPG and it's finally the game that delivers on the promises made during the PS1 era. This is basically what RPGs should be, imo, and does just about everything right. Great battle system and abilities, great supplementary systems, good quest structure, excellent streamlining, amazing sense of scale and atmosphere, great graphics and music, and good story, localisation and voice acting.

It's brilliant! It's so well crafted and coherent an experience and so compelling to play (time flies!! an hour turns into half a day without you knowing!), it really is a stunning achievement!

Really pleased I bought it and happy to see it at least selling its initial shipment.

EDIT:
Minor criticisms would be:
- battles with tougher enemies can be a bit fast, I'd have liked an option for battle speed with three settings, with the current speed being the fastest
- the camera can be a bit janky in closed environments
- some blurry textures and average character models

protonion

Alrus said:
I'm not going to overreact but could at least explain what you didn't like about the game? That would make your post seems less trollish.

Man I don't speak english and writing detailed posts is difficult for me, but I'll try.

For me the backbone of any great rpg is world/story/characters.
Let's compare the first hour of Xenoblade to Xenogears since they are almost the same.

Just look how awesomely Fei's friend's deaths are handled. The girl's secret love for Fei, the wedding dress rescue and Dan's change of heart during the attack.
In Xenoblade you have a cliche cute girl dies. The only build up is a cut scene where I had to pick up the correct dialogue line...AT RANDOM. Are you kidding me???
And Xenogears never let's go. At 10 hours Xenoblade forgot it had a story. Monando this, Monando that, FUCK THE MONANDO.

So after a while I knew I wouldn't be playing for the story.

The battle system starts well but it doesn't go anywhere. In the first boss fight (spider) , I literaly had no clue what was going on. Second boss (with the tentacles) even worse.

Just before I turned off the console I checked the quest menu. Three pages of quests. Didn't know or care who telled me about them, didn't know or care about the objective, had no idea how half of them were completed. Sorry, but I didn't want an offline mmorpg.

So I sold it. The end.

Zornica

Banned
Mojojo said:
Doing quests in
Alcamoth
is soooooooooooo frustrating. Finally caved in and used this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US#gid=11 to know the locations and time of npcs.

For those who have unlocked the 4th characters skillset, I have a problem for one party member :
Rikki. I know you need to speak to dabidabi and jump from 7th floor to the reservoir, but Dabidabi offers no quest ... I have 5 stars with Frontier Village,, done a truckload of quests there, unlocked all 4th skills for all the other companions (minus the 7th one)..
So I don't know what I could have missed? Maybe it is linked to the Nopon sage 's quests? I have done 2 quests for him then he tells me I am not ready to continue yet with his tests..
Storywise, I am about to leave the Hidden village to go to the mechonis capital

talking to as many people as possible also helps sometimes
have you ever met his girlfriend?
she lives in
b1f next to the water reservoir. go talk to her. i cant remember if she wakes up at 6 oder 18 o´clock. better try both!

MicH

Oh man this game is good. So good. At first I was kind of not liking the graphics, but as you get into the game, it looks pretty good (or maybe that's just my mind saying that, haha). But damn this game is hard. I keep dying! Is that normal or do I just suck badly? I mean the
spiderqueen boss kicks my ass constantly. I can't beat that piece of.. :(

Also the intro was amazing (first 2 hours or so).

RPGCrazied

TheBranca18 said:
If I get it before you, I will NOT be playing it. Bros before Xenoblade!

The way things are going, you might be waiting awhile. Seriously, why do people go with Zavvi if they are *this* slow? They aren't that cheap. A few dollars. I'm regretting going with them, but as I said, it is my first time importing. I probably would have gotten better results with GAME. At least you can track the damn thing with them.

RPGCrazied said:
Nothing today. UGH. Now I'm just getting angry. >:\

Not lost yet. I ordered from theHut (same place) with nothing to date in Austin. I will get mail around 3 and confirm if (when) it's (not) there. This is getting to be a long ride, even for them. I have ordered several things without such a delay before. My only guess is that they "shipped" on the 15, meaning labels were printed, but weren't actually put into the postal system until later on.

Amazon UK takes about a week. Zavvi/thehut about two on average.

Dragon

Banned
Dude I can't even look up my order on Game, they changed their website. The link they gave me doesn't even work anymore. I'm tempted to call them and be like wtf. And they didn't have international tracking anyway as far as I know. If you go with the USPS you don't get tracking unless you pay extra.

RPGCrazied said:
The way things are going, you might be waiting awhile. Seriously, why do people go with Zavvi if they are *this* slow? They aren't that cheap. A few dollars. I'm regretting going with them, but as I said, it is my first time importing. I probably would have gotten better results with GAME. At least you can track the damn thing with them.
I think it's because there are so many releases people can wait. For something like this, yeah, it was probably an unfortunate choice.

Varion

MicH said:
Oh man this game is good. So good. At first I was kind of not liking the graphics, but as you get into the game, it looks pretty good (or maybe that's just my mind saying that, haha). But damn this game is hard. I keep dying! Is that normal or do I just suck badly? I mean the
spiderqueen boss kicks my ass constantly. I can't beat that piece of.. :(

Also the intro was amazing (first 2 hours or so).
Depends how many quests you're doing. If you're doing lots, it's easy. If you aren't doing many, it's hard, because relative level has such a significant effect on how you do in battles.
You are using shield on the spider fight whenever it warns you it's going to use a talent art, right?

protonion said:
At 10 hours Xenoblade forgot it had a story.
KTucn.gif

If you didn't like it then fine, but pretending the game doesn't have a story is utterly ludicrous. The story's well paced and keeps feeding you interesting information and foreshadowing, until you get to the late game and it starts bombarding you with interesting twists.

If you had no idea what's going on in boss fights that's your problem, as neither of those were at all difficult and the new Monado arts and their mechanics were introduced with proper tutorials. No one else seems to have had any issues understanding what was going on.

If you "didn't know you'd finished half the quests you accepted" then... you clearly weren't paying any attention at all? You were told exactly what to do when you accepted the quest, you were told exactly what you'd done when you finished the quest, you were informed whenever you'd done anything to progress a quest you'd accepted and could press start/+ to see exactly what you'd done, so unless you were just blindly pressing A whenever anything resembling text appeared, you should definitely have had an idea how they were completed.

Of course, if you didn't want to do lots of quests then you didn't have to do them in the first place, so penalising the game because you did optional content you didn't like hardly seems at all fair. There's plenty of areas, towns, story etc in the game even if you don't do a single sidequest.

Gvaz

Banned
IMO after playing this game for a bit, I think this should become the gold standard.

Also there's a billion and one tutorials that explain how to do things perfectly, and they even show you an example of how the hell to do shit like with the shield ability after and what it does. Come on guys.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
RPGCrazied said:
From what I recall, Zavvi shipped the game to you four days before the release date, that's not really slow.

At that point, any speed of delivery will be at the behest of the postal services involved.

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
There's hope! it's coming this week*

*If not. This week**

**If not. This Month (September) ***

***If not. This Year

If not by 9/5, I don't care what I have to do, I will be getting my money back. I'm not going to wait close to a month to get a game. I'll order it somewhere else. It just kinda feels like Zavvi stole my $$$.

ymmv

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
If not by 9/5, I don't care what I have to do, I will be getting my money back. I'm not going to wait close to a month to get a game. I'll order it somewhere else. It just kinda feels like Zavvi stole my $$$.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Zavvi. The UK is just a couple of hundred kilometers away from the Netherlands and yet it can take 2-3 weeks before an order arrives. One or two orders took a whole month.

You just have to wait it out.

Finalow

meh, i'm in the cave where you have to kill a dragon and take the
magma gem
. I hate those elementals, while i'm fighting with the boss they come in and rape me. (not one, not two, but three or four).

Gvaz said:
What's your computer like? also 7719 works great for me, and better than several of the older builds I tried. Those settings were probably my suggestion earlier and in the dolphin thread as well.
i think that it's an audio problem, when the audio freaks out is going to crash soon.

anaron

RPGCrazied said:
2hxack0.jpg

lol you're suuuuuuuuuuuuch a lil' bitch.

Interestingly, this came today from the UK. Only took a week unlike the 3 or 4 weeks games usually take.

Overall I spent like $100us on this game, and it should have been more if the Customs lady had charged me the full 61% (!!) customs duty.

This game had better be worth it.

I ordered mine from HMV btw.

RPGCrazied

anaron said:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2hxack0.jpg[IMG]

lol you're suuuuuuuuuuuuch a lil' bitch.[/QUOTE]

Just cause I want my game? You're the only one that gets on my case, because I want my game.

Don't like it, deal with it. Don't think calling me names is helping matters either.

anaron

RPGCrazied said:
Just cause I want my game? You're the only one that gets on my case, because I want my game.

Don't like it, deal with it. Don't think calling me names is helping matters either.
Gurl, I couldn't care less. It's plaintively hilarious at this point.

Did anyone else have trouble 100%ing Tephra Cave? Also, there's this big caterpillar who pops up in the middle of a group of lesser caterpillars and he keeps raping my party, even though we're higher level.
LLShC.gif

Gvaz

Banned
Chuck said:
Did anyone else have trouble 100%ing Tephra Cave? Also, there's this big caterpillar who pops up in the middle of a group of lesser caterpillars and he keeps raping my party, even though we're higher level.
LLShC.gif
No? I owned that bitch at the same level the first time I saw him.

Kill the ones around him first, without standing in front of him. dude is as blind as a bat.

Are the other collectables hidden behind that locked automated door? I couldn't find 4-5 of them.

I'll come back later and kill that son of a bitch.

MicH

Urgh, I suck. The lizard in Tephra Cave kept killing me. Over and over. Until I realized that wasn't the way I had to go, lol. But still :( I suck.

I'm wondering if it's safe to carry on a bit with the story for a bit. I'm at
Sword Valley
but broke off to do some sidequesting (which has gone alright Colony 9's at 5 stars and Frontier Village is up to 4). I don't think I can do anything about reconstructing
Colony 6
with the areas available to me at the moment.

Shiggy said:
Those GIFs are great :D
The gifs are great but i really think we shouldn't abuse them so much especially when it's mockery between members

just saying....

PS: 8 hours now , games is still awesome . Didn't go away from colony 9 after the end of the prologue) and realized i still had many things to FIND/explore ...

MicH said:
Urgh, I suck. The lizard in Tephra Cave kept killing me. Over and over. Until I realized that wasn't the way I had to go, lol. But still :( I suck.

Died once , and then came back and paid attention. Now i just laugh at it . Once you get your rythm going and start using Skills in a row it just feels good.

Mojojo

Varion said:
It shouldn't be linked to those quests as far as I know.

You do one of the quests for the two doctor Nopons that don't get on (which is available after finishing at Prison Island, one's Medi), then you do a quest which is unlocked by this (where a named Nopon by the 1F armour shop asks you to collect stuff), then you do another one given to you by Npa where he wants the two doctors to get on and you end up having to go back to the leg, then you do another one for Medi where you have to talk to Puko.

THEN you should be able to get the quest you want. If you've done all of those then I don't know what to suggest though.

Thanks a lot, it 's the quest started by Npa that I missed :)

I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT ITI GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT
Popcorn-14-Jimmy-Fallon.gif

Went to all my local stores and it was sold out. New shipment tomorrow tho so I might pick this one up. Funny story heard from the guy working at game store, they didn't expect much from Xenoblade and instead had large stock of the new Deus Ex. Xenoblade sold faster and went out of stock in 1 day and only few Deus Exes were sold.

JumpingTheGun said:
I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT ITI GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT
there's a chance for me now! lol..

JumpingTheGun said:
Congrats man!

Top Bottom