• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

wsippel

Banned
MicH said:
Fuck, the Ether mine boss is kicking my ass. God damn. I know to break duing chain, but I never even managed to make a chain before all party members are dead. Any tips?
Critical hits and Burst Affinity fill the party gauge. Focus on the smaller enemies until the gauge is full, then target the boss and initiate a combo.

What did you guys think about the story? so far I find it really enjoying but am only 12 hours in. Just hope it doesnt fall apart later on

mclem

finalozzo said:
mh do you remember the name of the landmark near the lake?
btw i don't know what to do for the rain, have i to wait or to change the time?

Either can work. Teleporting possibly can trigger it, too, but I don't think I've ever witnessed that first-hand.

Antagon

MicH said:
Fuck, the Ether mine boss is kicking my ass. God damn. I know to break duing chain, but I never even managed to make a chain before all party members are dead. Any tips?

Make sure you use all the positional attacks as often as possible and from the right place. That fills up the bar pretty fast. When starting the fight also start the fight using the middle button and try to time the button prompt as close to the edge as possible (but still inside). This way it worked out well for me.

Gambit

MicH said:

I am quoting myself: had a similar problem. He was too difficult for me, so I went back in the dungeon, filled my blue gauge with random battles and then warped to his lair, so it was still almost full when I approached him. Then I filled it quickly and only did one combo on him and voila!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30577813&postcount=8678

worked for me

MicH

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try harder next time around. I easily get confused with a lot of enemies on the screen :p

Also I got a response from GAME today! ... An automated one. Fuck.

All right, everyone LV99.

I've just counted how many quests I have in my log; 451 quests of which 31 are story quests. That means I've finished 420 sidequests. I wonder how many I still need to make a near perfect run.

I have 225 affinity coins at LV99, if we get 98 coins by leveling up, I got 127 coins from Unique monsters...and I saw somewhere there are 218 monsters in all...so I need to search for the remaining 91 and kill them. It's crazy how many I managed to bypass event though I've been almost everywhere with full maps discovered (granted, not at all times or weather conditions).

The last one I defeated was
Final Marcus at the 3 Sages Summit
, LV100

Zafir

finalozzo said:
mh do you remember the name of the landmark near the lake?
btw i don't know what to do for the rain, have i to wait or to change the time?
I tend to just teleport to the north or south bridge landmarks, jump down into the water and then swim to the island.

As for getting it to rain... It's rather random.

Anyway on a different topic. Anyone notice the clipping issues in
Valek Mountains
. I've had enemies half disappear under the
snow
. Minor issue, but rather funny, hah.

Hazanko

Banned
Still need some information about this issue:

I'm at 3 stars on colony 6, my reconstruction level is 3 as well. There are items I need but don't think I've gotten far enough into the story to collect them. My question is, do I need to completely rebuild colony 6 to be able to get my quest level to 5 stars?

bubnbob

Banned
Jerk said:
You really should have been. Xenoblade or no.

I can't think of any HD JRPGs I haven't played yet... Magna Carta 2 it is. After spending time in 480p, I have to clean my eyes with some high res goodness. Even if it is Magna Carta 2.

Dascu

Hazanko said:
Still need some information about this issue:

I'm at 3 stars on colony 6, my reconstruction level is 3 as well. There are items I need but don't think I've gotten far enough into the story to collect them. My question is, do I need to completely rebuild colony 6 to be able to get my quest level to 5 stars?
Yes.

Varion

Melhisedek said:
What did you guys think about the story? so far I find it really enjoying but am only 12 hours in. Just hope it doesnt fall apart later on
Oh it doesn't, it's fantastic. I haven't finished yet, but in terms of the plot I'm on my way to the final battle and yeah, it's been awesome. Encouraged by several people saying how satisfying the ending is too.

InternHertz said:
I have 225 affinity coins at LV99, if we get 98 coins by leveling up, I got 127 coins from Unique monsters...and I saw somewhere there are 218 monsters in all...so I need to search for the remaining 91 and kill them.
Sure you definitely got the ones in missable locations? I know I had to skip on that L70 in
Central Arsenal
because I refused to grind for that broken bastard.

InternHertz said:
I have 225 affinity coins at LV99, if we get 98 coins by leveling up, I got 127 coins from Unique monsters...and I saw somewhere there are 218 monsters in all...so I need to search for the remaining 91 and kill them.
I don't think thats right, the google docs sheet is fairly late into the game with regards to areas and its only got 118 listed (
its up to central factory and given there are some level 100+ ones lsited making me assume each area is complete
). Also I think that (spoilers)
if you didn't kill the ones in the destroyed areas then those are missable, meaning thats about 3 I've missed. Commander Oracion for sure (couldn't figure out how to get to the spent fuel tank without dying.

The only way to fully verify is to look at the Japanese site and look at the enemy page for each area taking count. Maybe the maps too as they're in Pink or Purple there (can't recall).

Varion said:
I know I had to skip on that L70 in
Central Arsenal
because I refused to grind for that broken bastard.
That one was a right pain with its
"ho ho ho, I'm nowhere near a landmark and I like to OHKO the entire party without warning"
. I beat it at L72 still
the time I just went with Haste+double attack and ignoted artes is when it didn't do that

Hazanko said:
Quest help, area spoiler:

I'm at 4 stars for upper bionis but I don't know how to get the last star, I've talked to nearly everyone.
For the last star in that area how many quests in
Alocomoth
have you done? I think there are
in total and I needed pretty much all of them completed for my 5 stars. Also did you do quests in
Eryth Sea, namely the lighthouse and ether plant (the one you can quick travel to) ones
as those should count towards that affinity too.

Diffense

MicH said:
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try harder next time around. I easily get confused with a lot of enemies on the screen :p

Also I got a response from GAME today! ... An automated one. Fuck.

Everyone else covered it but make sure to get the bonus effects of positional arts to fill the party gauge. You can use his minions for that as well.

Well, I spent forerver on the second major area:
Bionis Leg
then did a huge story related push that has me heading off to
the snow mountains
All the events that happened over that stretch left me a little drained (in a good way) so I am planning to slow down and do some more quests/exploration in the earlier areas.
It's been a while since a game has sucked me into its world the way Xenoblade has.

I played all the way up to this point with the characters Shulk, Rein and
Sharla
but I'll force myself to use some others to build up affinity.
I have a pretty good battle routine with them and the trio hasn't let me down unless I let Rein faint with an empty party guage (which hardly ever happens).

I got every boss at those "sensitive" locations before quitting the zones, so they should not be of those I missed. I did grind at the time to be able to down them.

If you want to know about that boss Starwolf_UK :
On the 3rd floor I think, there's a location that's right up from the tank where he's located, if you jump right you end up in the clean water and fight him

Concerning that LV70 bastard, there is a landmark quite near him, the
Face Maintenance something, a round shaped room with short stairs to a control room

However, if the number of unique monsters is indeed much more near 118 than 218, then I only have a handful of them to beat, and that's a good thing. Of course it won't be easy, especially the nastier ones like
Abassy the LV120 dragon, or another one at LV11x.
I'll count them up in the wiki I use.

edit : 218 counted but I don't know if all give affinity coins, some are "unique" because there won't appear anywhere else with that name but are "normal" enemies in a boss fight etc

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I killed 3 hours on this game last night pretty easily. Did a lot of the collect various monster parts and rare collectable quests for Colony 9, killed a couple of unique monsters, got rolled by a couple of other unique monsters (like that Caterpillar in the cave, fuck him). I accidently skipped how to activate the trinity attack or whatever it is. I know you fill up the blue meter in the upper left. I think you can still access tutorials so I will check it.

I still have no idea why NOA didn't feel like releasing this in the US. They have a really low opinion of their user base is the only thing I can figure.

EDIT: can I petition that the thread title be changed to "OT Thread of New Arts Learnt"?

Cwarrior

Is there a way to rewatch cutscene (i wanna rewatch the coo fight scenes), also i run out of space on inventory for materials what do i do?

Cwarrior said:
Is there a way to rewatch cutscene (i wanna rewatch the coo fight scenes), also i run out of space on inventory for materials what do i do?

There isn't, unfortunately.

To make space, sell the least valuable materials (by sorting them with the Y button) except those marked by a red exclamation mark (since you need those for quests).

Quick question -

I see the red exclamation mark on the map (corresponds to quest) but there is no NPC in sight. I've been searching that certain area, but nothing. I don't even know what quest it's for but it's really early in the game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Just started playing: Holy shit, this game is amazing!! It's awesome that you can warp anywhere instantly, and change the hour of the day to whichever you like.

I'm in the first town, and I have a lot of quests to do and a lot of places to explore.

The game is beautiful most of the time, but that's because of the awesome art direction. I don't think the games pushes the hardware to the limits, but everything is so well done.

One thing I dislike is the character faces, Shulk looks like a zombie Katie Holmes, and every face is just weird... The cutscenes suffer a lot because of that and the low res textures they use, because everything is in real time it appears; but besides that, the game looks really good while playing.

The music is great, and I can't wait to play more of this.

LProtag

If it makes you guys still waiting feel better, I've been without power since Saturday night and apparently won't get power back until Sunday night.

So I have just gotten a taste of this game and had it taken away from me.

CruxisMana said:
To make space, sell the least valuable materials (by sorting them with the Y button) except those marked by a red exclamation mark (since you need those for quests).
Or white. Red is current, White is
future you've seen in vision
. I think for the (big sidequest)
reconstruction I don't think it marks them becuase they're not a quest in the traditional sense...but shows you a vision anyway
another reason you might like to have some notepaper on hand while playing (as the
visions tell you how many you need too
).

Both those spoilers are minor but you might like to experiance both first hand.

The Int3rsect said:
I see the red exclamation mark on the map (corresponds to quest) but there is no NPC in sight. I've been searching that certain area, but nothing. I don't even know what quest it's for but it's really early in the game.
You sure its not an item in a quest you're doing. Also try looking higher, lower, in corners, change the time a little etc...this is one of times when I'd love a zoomable map and for quest stuff to marked there; not just on the Radar mini-map (whichs shows you when you are near in the maths sense not near in the can actually reach).

where the flip is RPGCrazied? His absence makes me think he finally recieved his long lost package.

...unless he's sobbing in a corner, which could very well be a legitimate possibility.

got my fingers crossed for you man.

bubnbob

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
where the flip is RPGCrazied? His absence makes me think he finally recieved his long lost package.

...unless he's sobbing in a corner, which could very well be a legitimate possibility.

He had a fit and his mom grounded him.

RPGCrazied

Guys just stop. It's bad enough I have to wait this long for the game. I don't need being made fun of, trolled on and other stuff.

mjc

RPGCrazied said:
Guys just stop. It's bad enough I have to wait this long for the game. I don't need being made fun of, trolled on and other stuff.
It's all in good spirit, don't worry. I'm still waiting on my copy too...for what it's worth.

Dragon

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:

Start making fun of me. Even if I get the game tonight, I have to work because College Football starts tonight. FML :(

Andrew.

Banned
I know its hard, but think about how awesome it will be when it comes BECAUSE you had to wait so long. You'll get it. Stay positive bro.

Seik

Banned
RPGCrazied said:

You're not alone man! I'm still waiting here too :(

Oxx

Aconn1283 said:
I know its hard, but think about how awesome it will be when it comes BECAUSE you had to wait so long. You'll get it. Stay positive bro.

What if he hates the game!?

Played 45 hours now. Location:
Fallen Arm/Mechonis Field.

Story:
The Machina/Mechon relationship reminds me a bit of the Quarians/Geth in Mass Effect and they look a bit like Turians as well. Vanea and Lady Meyneth are definitely in contact with one another and have some sort of connection with the creation of Silver Face/Fiora. Gadolt's Face is also after me now as well, and it looks like Egil has a lot of Faces at his disposal since Gadolt's number was high. I'm going to guess that Gadolt's Rifle will have something to do with making him regain the memories that Egil has just erased. Something doesn't seem quite right with Dickson either.

And the Fallen Arm was the first area without a boss! I was expecting to face Gadolt, but nothing happened for once! I liked the touch of Metal Face's corpse as a landmark on Fallen Arm too.

Also, when you topple (I think) a brown Mechon every auto-attack hurts you due to the green dissolving fluid stuff. Is that an Aura that can be stopped or is it best just not to topple them?

---

Also regarding the
Melia
levelling scheme that we discussed on the previous pages;
I can confirm that at level 56/57+ you get 13,000 EXP per kill, so 5-6 kills is all you need to gain a level. Now that I can do it properly, I managed to go from level 55-60 in less than 25 minutes. Got some nice leg armour and managed to make some level VI strength gems from their fragments as well.
I think I'm going to get to level 65 tomorrow before I go through
Mechonis Field
tomorrow since the area looks a bit dull.

ksamedi

RPGCrazied said:

then why don't you just stop whining?

You'll get the game, just occupy yourself with other stuff. It's not that hard.

Hiltz

The Int3rsect said:
Quick question -

If it's not an NPC character then it is most likely a red orb you'll want to collect as part of an active new quest. By the way, even if you find the general location of where the orb is on the mini map, it can still be tricky to see. Sometimes they can be sitting on top of a cliff or below one or hidden in the corner or wall of a map. Some can even be in towns behind fences too.

thefro

Played about 3 1/2 hours last night. The amount of stuff you can do is already overwhelming, so I'm probably just going to explore at my leisure and go through the story instead of trying to talk to every single person in every area.

Battle system is very good. I like the strategy and how positioning is important (like The Last Story). Music is awesome and so is the story so far.

Antagon

One thing I can't wrap my head around is how a game that has such fantastic environments can have such awful character and monster designs. While Reyn and Dunban are allright, Sharla (especially the ridiculous fan service), Riki and Melia are awful. And monsters don't seem to have any consistency in their designs.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Rahxephon91 said:
I actually check this thread everyday just to see if RPGCrazy got his copy. I feel like if he gets his, mine cant be far off.

I admit, I've been taking part in the meltdown watch. I actually feel bad for him, I wish I could be that excited for ANYTHING anymore. My moods usually last for about 5 minutes bad or good... then its just mellow time again.

I figure he is still a kid, but his enthusiasm is awesome. God I miss caring about Christmas and shit :(

Hiltz

Antagon said:
One thing I can't wrap my head around is how a game that has such fantastic environments can have such awful character and monster designs. While Reyn and Dunban are allright, Sharla (especially the ridiculous fan service), Riki and Melia are awful. And monsters don't seem to have any consistency in their designs.

I like the monster designs but most of the character designs aren't my cup of tea. Fortunately, the game's pros of the game easily out outweigh the cons.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
SecretMoblin said:
lsslave
Jew Gamer

lol

Family isn't, didn't grow up with it, and while through ancestry I am and I did practice I am now as Agnostic as I was when I was a teenager.

I celebrate with my family, we have dinner, and due to the fact I don't eat pork I find Christian Christmas is already a poor time for me... but the turkey is good!

lsslave said:
I admit, I've been taking part in the meltdown watch. I actually feel bad for him, I wish I could be that excited for ANYTHING anymore. My moods usually last for about 5 minutes bad or good... then its just mellow time again.

I figure he is still a kid, but his enthusiasm is awesome. God I miss caring about Christmas and shit :(

Hes no kid.

Top Bottom