• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Daante

EDGE review: 9/10

http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/xenoblade-chronicles-review

"Wonders and terrors are equally positioned in 
the world to imbue even the slightest diversion off 
the beaten track with drama and anticipation. When married to one of the strongest battle systems in the genre and a cast of characters and story that twist convention, this world becomes irresistible.

It’s a 
potent return to form for Takahashi, then, a glowing comeback for the Japanese RPG, and an injection of creativity for some tired hardware. Xenoblade Chronicles manages to impress, enrich and, best of all, inspire wonder."

vitacola

SecretMoblin said:
We all know the Wii U will be region-locked.
Hack, hack, hooray ;)

Status vom Fr, 19.08.11 08:05 Uhr: Die Sendung wurde in das Zustellfahrzeug geladen.
pHFrq.jpg

InsertNameHere said:
Uh, 5 pounds. It was 90 dollars all said and done for the CE.
Sounds about right. I'll end up waiting to see if it gets announced here. If it doesn't, then I'll probably just important the regular edition.

Lissar said:
There are three really good things you can do with collectibles:

Put them in your Collectipedia and get nice items for your efforts.

Use them to trade for other items (since they can be found just laying around the field they are the obvious best choice for this)

And (in my opinion the best and least obvious thing to do with them) save them to GIFT to your team mates. Each item will give each person a heart between 1 and 3 if they like the item. Their favorite items will give three hearts, second two hearts, then of course neutral items give one hearts. Be careful and save before trying this though! Not only do you want to give items to people that give them the most hearts, but there are also items they DISLIKE that can take away hearts. Doing this correctly will help raise your relationship between your team mates quicker.
Thanks for this. I knew about the first one (I'm only missing a couple of items from Colony 9 which given the nature of the rewards I should probably hunt for), would probably find the second myself but the third would be a bit longer.

vitacola said:
Hack, hack, hooray ;)
Tell that to the 3DS.

Roommate imported this, and I have to say after about an hour in...damn good game it's shaping up to be. The scale and detail for a Wii game isn't too shabby either.

Oxx

Is there anything I should be ranting about in the text boxes of the Xenoblade survey registration survey?

I mean, now that Last Story has been confirmed there aren't too many burning localisation issues.

I'll just write 'FIRE EMBLEM' 2000 times.

Oxx said:
Is there anything I should be ranting about in the text boxes of the Xenoblade survey registration survey?

I mean, now that Last Story has been confirmed there aren't too many burning localisation issues.

Crud. I totally forgot :( Excitebots as well?

I'm not sure they do anything with the field (I think its the post play survey they take more seriously). I think the age and gender ones are the only ones they uses for Iwata to show off at shareholder meetings.

Fritz

Oxx said:

How about some modesty and gratefulness? Type Mother 3!

I have to say what won me over yesterday was the first scenic view back to the Colony when you venture to the caves. Thats where I stopped. Can't wait to get back tonight!

Oxx

Starwolf_UK said:
Crud. I totally forgot :( Excitebots as well?

I'm not sure they do anything with the field (I think its the post play survey they take more seriously). I think the age and gender ones are the only ones they uses for Iwata to show off at shareholder meetings.

Unless I was being dense, I think there was only one box where you could enter text, and that was the 'Why did you decide to purchase Xenoblade?' one.

Assuming that there would be other free-answer questions later in the survey, I answered truthfully.

But at least I got the soundtrack (until the download died half way through).

mclem

So here's a little query that springs to mind: Do I want a notepad handy? I'm curious if people find they keep losing track of important information, or if everything I'm likely to need to hand can be found in the interface somewhere?

To put it in perspective, I thought that FFX (mainly for Al Bhed notes, but also for jotting down a few co-ordinates) and Persona 3 (huge tracts of information about demon fusions) were aided by a handy notepad. Also, for Tales of Vesperia I kept lots of notes about the various on-field gathering spots.

BluWacky

Weirdly, although Metro Online gave Xenoblade a great review, the review in the actual print edition of Metro this morning only gave it 3 stars. The review text was pretty positive, though.

I don't really care either way; my copy was waiting on my desk at work this morning, thank you Amazon! Now I just have to move house tomorrow...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Starwolf_UK said:
Thanks for this. I knew about the first one (I'm only missing a couple of items from Colony 9 which given the nature of the rewards I should probably hunt for), would probably find the second myself but the third would be a bit longer.

Oh! I almost forgot the fourth thing (serves me write for typing this up right after waking up) and this is probably obvious, but you must save both collectibles and drop items for QUESTS. Some items can be really hard to find, so you don't want to accidentally sell them. It is actually better to wait for gifting until the END of the game, when you have a lot of stuff collected and aren't worried that they might be used for quests anymore.

It is very important to remember to never sell loot and collectibles unless you've run out of room! You'll almost NEVER need money so it isn't worth it to sell things off. You'll FIND better armor and weapons than you'll ever be able to buy. Pretty much the only thing worth buying is skill books, and you'll probably always have enough money for those.

BluWacky said:
Weirdly, although Metro Online gave Xenoblade a great review, the review in the actual print edition of Metro this morning only gave it 3 stars. The review text was pretty positive, though.

I don't really care either way; my copy was waiting on my desk at work this morning, thank you Amazon! Now I just have to move house tomorrow...

Is this the same review?

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/872234-xenoblade-chronicles-review-european-role

Because they gave it a 9/10...

PetrCobra

Lissar said:
Oh! I almost forgot the fourth thing (serves me write for typing this up right after waking up) and this is probably obvious, but you must save both collectibles and drop items for QUESTS. Some items can be really hard to find, so you don't want to accidentally sell them. It is actually better to wait for gifting until the END of the game, when you have a lot of stuff collected and aren't worried that they might be used for quests anymore.

It is very important to remember to never sell loot and collectibles unless you've run out of room! You'll almost NEVER need money so it isn't worth it to sell things off. You'll FIND better armor and weapons than you'll ever be able to buy. Pretty much the only thing worth buying is skill books, and you'll probably always have enough money for those.
the collectibles needed for quests (even the future ones) are marked by exclamation marks. Not sure about drop items.

EDIT:

BluWacky said:
3 stars out of 5 or 10? Maybe a print error...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
PetrCobra said:
the collectibles needed for quests (even the future ones) are marked by exclamation marks. Not sure about drop items.

But I believe that is only if you have the quest activated or have seen a vision about a future quest. Not necessarily for all future ones. I'm not 100% on this though, as it has been a year since I've played.

caligula13 said:
it's my first JRPG (yes, i am 29 years old). i like the battle-system. looking forward to the sequel for wii u.

They're not making a sequel...at least not one that we know of. That new Wii U game of theirs doesn't look like Xenoblade at all.

One thing I don't like about what the localization team did (yes, I spell it with a 'z' and pronounce the letter 'zee', my European friends) is that ugly 'y' in 'Reyn'.

If the katakana is ライン, doesn't it make more sense to spell it the way it was originally spelled, "Rein"?

The superfluous 'y' reminds me of the terrible fantasy trope in the West of putting apostrophes everywhere to make something sound more exotic -- except in this case, it ends up looking stupid. Why not just go all-out and name him 'Reynn'?

Diffense

What about

GET IN THERE
ONE HIT KILL OR SOMETHING TEE HEE

Anyway, I'm getting increasingly nervous about spoilers as more people get the game.
So I think I'm going to bail out except to say when my copy arrives.
Have fun!

If the katakana is ライン, doesn't it make more sense to spell it the way it was originally spelled, "Rein"?

They did the opposite with Fiorung and made it into the less strange and exotic Fiora.
I liked the Japanese though...halfway between being perfectly normal and weird.

FreeMufasa

HDD just arrived, no game though =(

I've got a hard struggle with myself this weekend so I don't go out and buy it from a store.

PetrCobra

Bel Marduk said:
They're not making a sequel...at least not one that we know of. That new Wii U game of theirs doesn't look like Xenoblade at all.
I must have missed this, where did you see their new Wii U game?

Mistle

Lucky I read this past page, I was about to ask about collectables. I've been selling them until now, but I'm still only at the start of the game. How many items can the inventory hold? I assume loot is purely for selling, also?

Oh, and, what does it mean when I get affinity coins? Does it just mean that there's been a relationship increase? I read all the tutorials and didn't see anything about it. I apologise if the game will explain it all to me in due time :p

Loving it so far though, and I'm only 2 hours in. It just feels quality when you play it. However, this is the first time I've really felt the Wii's low resolution. The graphics are fine, but I find my eyes straining with some of the smaller text and busy environments.

Alrus said:
That picture is actually "old". Nothing to do with their next project I'd say.

They posted the same pic on the flash section at the top of their website around the time that thread was posted (2 months ago). It's their new project.

Torraz

Just played 30 minutes and I'm already ultra hyped without having read anything beforehand about the game. Loving the japanese voice actors so far.

One important question: Is this game playable without a FAQ (without missing out on lots of content)?

Thanks

Peff

Mistle said:
Oh, and, what does it mean when I get affinity coins? Does it just mean that there's been a relationship increase? I read all the tutorials and didn't see anything about it. I apologise if the game will explain it all to me in due time :p

No, the coins are used to link stuff from the skill trees between two characters as long as they're the same shape. So if you get "Wear Heavy Armor" with Reyn and "Obtain more experience from missions" with Shulk you can link them by paying 5 coins and both characters will get the benefits. It's explained later so don't worry about it now (but do look into the trees to see which ones you want to get first).

EDIT: Yes, definitely. You'll likely miss sidequests but it's not a huge deal. There's nothing as crazy as the Zodiac Spear, I think.

Torraz said:
Just played 30 minutes and I'm already ultra hyped without having read anything beforehand about the game. Loving the japanese voice actors so far.

One important question: Is this game playable without a FAQ (without missing out on lots of content)?

Thanks

There is no FAQ yet.

Is the collectors edition a limited run does anyone know? Royal Mail van has been down my street and no delivery for me again (in U.K and it was sent out Tues). Obviously Game stick to the frankly ridiculous "you have to wait 15 days for delivery" nonsense. Something that certain other retailer doesn't stand for!.

I'm figuring if mine does get lost in the post and its a limited run, they won't be able to send me a replacement the way it seems to be selling :/

Zafir

I just got my copy... It's coming up saying system update... What?

I already had it up to the latest version, 4.3E.

state_vector_collapse said:
Is the collectors edition a limited run does anyone know? Royal Mail van has been down my street and no delivery for me again (in U.K and it was sent out Tues). Obviously Game stick to the frankly ridiculous "you have to wait 15 days for delivery" nonsense. Something that certain other retailer doesn't stand for!.

I'm figuring if mine does get lost in the post and its a limited run, they won't be able to send me a replacement the way it seems to be selling :/
Like MH Tri CC Pro it seems to be less copies than the regular but I don't think GAME will run dry of stock in 15 days (the reason for this is that is when Royal Mail class it as lost so GAME can claim off them). Sorry about your copy going missing though.

Zafir said:
I just got my copy... It's coming up saying system update... What?

I already had it up to the latest version, 4.3E.
IOS updates. USB loader uses (who installed it a long time ago) should watch out for the IOS249 stub (though Clipper's guide has been using other slots since the IOS249 stub update has been on discs for about a year).

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Mistle said:
Lucky I read this past page, I was about to ask about collectables. I've been selling them until now, but I'm still only at the start of the game. How many items can the inventory hold? I assume loot is purely for selling, also?

Some loot are required to complete quests. And I believe some is used in crafting. I was never too much into crafting, but I know enemies drop stones/crystals which can be used for that.

I've had the homebrew channel on my Wii for a while but have been running Xenoblade through a USB Loader. Although to be honest, I havent used my Wii for so long I dont think I'd miss the homebrew. If I did the system update would it just remove it without breaking my Wii?

Jucksalbe said:
I really had to force myself to continue with the story. Seems that everytime I clear a few quests there are ten new ones. I'm at the cave's entrance right now at level 12. Sadly I had to give up the swimsuit "armor" because of its low stats.
I'd gotten and completed
sidequests before going through the mines, that's including kill x monsters ones, as of now I can't actually find any other sidequests too accept - of course I might be missing them but I figured I should do the story quest of
collecting the cylinders
for more sidequests to appear

Bennettt2

Bel Marduk said:
Why not just read the reviews posted in the thread? Or Bebpo's review.
I've read the impressions so far and Bebpo's review but I want more because i'm gonna buy a new console for just this one game - I wanna be sure.

So more impressions, people! MOAR!!

Top Bottom