• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

12 hours in. Gaur plains is huuuge, Sharla is hot, the combat is fun and teleportation allows you to go anywhere in seconds. I think this may end up becoming my favorite JRPG ever.

Fritz

irriducibile87 said:
Xenoblade.jpg

Yes !!!

There is a lame, nonGAF message board in the background. Just saying.

Effect

Is there an online store that sells the game, will ship to the US, but uses perhaps Google Check Out or Amazon Payments or some other service that isn't PayPal?

Buttons

Hazanko said:
Just got the game, and typically my wii can't read the disk! Nooooooo.

Ouch, is there anything that can be done? I didn't even know that the very first Wiis had problems with dual layer disks. Does it happen with most of them? :eek: Think my Wii is from release, hope Xenoblade will run on it once it gets here. @.@

Zafir

TheBranca18 said:
Alright guys. I think I'm going to jump in. About to order a Wii from Amazon. I know it's probably been said in this thread multiple times but as an American what's the best place to order to import the game?
Zavvi is the cheapest. £29.85 which apparently comes to $48, and free shipping.

Edit: Scratch that says it's available within a month, meaning it's out of stock. Could try http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/games/platforms/nintendo-wii/xenoblade-chronicles/10501221.html or http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Act...-Chronicles-/~r355973/?s=Xenoblade+Chronicles instead.

weeaboo

Franchuzas87 said:
12 hours in. Gaur plains is huuuge, Sharla is hot, the combat is fun and teleportation allows you to go anywhere in seconds. I think this may end up becoming my favorite JRPG ever.

This game is just too good to be real.

MicH said:
Yep, same for me. Oh well, at least I'll have a busy weekend so I won't have time before Tuesday anyway.

Yeah. And I guess I can play some more Baten Kaitos Origins. Started another playthrough in anticipation of Xenoblade. :)

mclem

Hazanko said:
Just got the game, and typically my wii can't read the disk! Nooooooo.

Tried using Configurable USB Loader to dump it then read the dumped version? It'd be interesting to confirm if the issue with dual-layer discs is with *reading* them or with *seeking* them.

Buttons said:
Ouch, is there anything that can be done? I didn't even know that the very first Wiis had problems with dual layer disks. Does it happen with most of them? :eek: Think my Wii is from release, hope Xenoblade will run on it once it gets here. @.@
Some causes are bad lasers* (this happened with Gamecube as well**) while others are due to the disc loading bay swallowing too much dust, in Nintendo made a lens cleaning kit for this problem (they sell it in Europe and Japan at least).

*-I'm wondering if for price/yield Nintendo only required them to work for DVD-5 rather than DVD-9.
**-No, no, they were not any dual layer Gamecube games but rather systems giving disc read error a lot more often than usual. A home-made fix was to lower resistance to the laser.

weeaboo said:
This game is just too good to be real.
Exactly. Huge enviroments without loads? Complex but accessible interface? No stupid characters? Except for little graphical issues, everything about the game is just awesome.

JimboJones

Balls, my Wii can't read the disk either, it could read smash bros fine, sometimes it give me problems with Metroid Other M but this game it just plain refuses to work.

Think I will probably have to send it to nintendo to get it fixed, the drive has been making a lot of noise recently.

Works fine on my sisters Wii though.

Dragon

Banned
Zafir said:
Zavvi is the cheapest. £29.85 which apparently comes to $48, and free shipping.

Edit: Scratch that says it's available within a month, meaning it's out of stock. Could try http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/games/platforms/nintendo-wii/xenoblade-chronicles/10501221.html or http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Act...-Chronicles-/~r355973/?s=Xenoblade+Chronicles instead.

Thanks Zafir! Ordered from game. Says 4 to 6 business days. My birthday is next week maybe I'll get it then!

RPGCrazied

Ledsen said:
Good luck with that.

Well. I hope it goes well for me. Zewi, I think his name is, is from the exact same state as me. He has ordered something from them in the past and got it in 5-6 days he said.

Ledsen

RPGCrazied said:
Well. I hope it goes well for me. Zewi, I think his name is, is from the exact same state as me. He has ordered something from them in the past and got it in 5-6 days he said.

Yeah, he was lucky, and hopefully you are too. The odds of being unlucky are quite a bit lower with Zavvi then with other online retailers, unfortunately... have they shipped your copy?

m.i.s.

Banned
Daante said:
EDGE review: 9/10

http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/xenoblade-chronicles-review

"Wonders and terrors are equally positioned in 
the world to imbue even the slightest diversion off 
the beaten track with drama and anticipation. When married to one of the strongest battle systems in the genre and a cast of characters and story that twist convention, this world becomes irresistible.

It’s a 
potent return to form for Takahashi, then, a glowing comeback for the Japanese RPG, and an injection of creativity for some tired hardware. Xenoblade Chronicles manages to impress, enrich and, best of all, inspire wonder."

That Edge score has really made me sit up and take notice (well, even more than before). Their reviews have always been consistently on the mark for me.

And I don't even like JRPG's but that seamless open world environment with no visible loading screens is just too tempting.

Hope it sees a respectable showing in the PAL charts for the forthcoming week.

Oxx

Gah, I really wish I know where I left my Wii cables. I guess this is what happens when SMG2 was the last Wii game you play.

RPGCrazied

Ledsen said:
Yeah, he was lucky, and hopefully you are too. The odds of being unlucky are quite a bit lower with Zavvi then with other online retailers, unfortunately... have they shipped your copy?

Was charged, shipped, email conformation and got a conversion fee on Monday. Of course I got the email about 8:45am my time, which there would be like 3-4pm? So I don't think it shipped very long on Monday. I don't know how shipping works overseas though.

McNum

Got my copy of the Limited Edition! That red classic controller pro looks great. Don't have time to play right now, but I'm looking forward to it. I really hope the game is as good as it looks.

Roxas

That feeling when that rare monster that was constantly kicking your arse earlier in the game now goes down with a few big hits.

Aaaahhh

kiryogi

Banned
Roxas said:
That feeling when that rare monster that was constantly kicking your arse earlier in the game now goes down with a few big hits.

Aaaahhh

It's more satisfying to do it without leveling for it though :D

Well I imported and ordered from Game.uk on late Tuesday afternoon. Come back to work Wednesday and find out it was shipped already (17th). The confirmation email stated that ill have it on release day, but I chose Royal Mail for shipping which said the shipping is 4-6 days. Im not exactly sure when Ill receive it as I highly doubt it'll get here today. The speedier delivery service was only available in the UK.

If it gets here tomorrow that would be fucking awesome as it's my 30th birthday

Edit: I just noticed I was made a member. holy shit.

Played an hour or 2 this morning and just about to see off across the Gaur Plains to
rescue Sharla's sister

Spent most of the time just exploring and doing quests and it's so easy to loose track of time while you're just running around. After that I trained a little bit up to level 18 then spent what seemed like ages adding to the Collectopedia, levelling up arts, checking skill tree's, changing equipment and adding gems which is all adds to be quite the monumental task.

While I've been running around I've found quite a lot of Heart-to-Heart locations, but I can't activate them yet. If they appear as '?' in the menu does that mean that it's between characters I don't have yet? Or...?

kiryogi

Banned
CruxisMana said:
Played an hour or 2 this morning and just about to see off across the Gaur Plains to
rescue Sharla's sister

Spent most of the time just exploring and doing quests and it's so easy to loose track of time while you're just running around. After that I trained a little bit up to level 18 then spent what seemed like ages adding to the Collectopedia, levelling up arts, checking skill tree's, changing equipment and adding gems which is all adds to be quite the monumental task.

While I've been running around I've found quite a lot of Heart-to-Heart locations, but I can't activate them yet. If they appear as '?' in the menu does that mean that it's between characters I don't have yet? Or...?

Correct.

Keasar

HOORAY!
5erNV.jpg

Oh and first one to quote this can get the Club Nintendo pin code, as I live in Sweden and Nintendo doesnt like us anymore.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Keasar said:
HOORAY!
5erNV.jpg

Oh and first one to quote this can get the Club Nintendo pin code, as I live in Sweden and Nintendo doesnt like us anymore.
Make a UK Club Nintendo account or something and get the OST from there.

You should also be able to redeem stars and such fine for non physical objects such as Nintendo/eShop points.

Keasar

Alextended said:
Make a UK Club Nintendo account or something and get the OST from there.

You should also be able to redeem stars and such fine for non physical objects such as Nintendo/eShop points.
I can do that?
Oh sweet.

Edit: Wait, isnt the OST a physical form?

Andrew.

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
Well I imported and ordered from Game.uk on late Tuesday afternoon. Come back to work Wednesday and find out it was shipped already (17th). The confirmation email stated that ill have it on release day, but I chose Royal Mail for shipping which said the shipping is 4-6 days. Im not exactly sure when Ill receive it as I highly doubt it'll get here today. The speedier delivery service was only available in the UK.

If it gets here tomorrow that would be fucking awesome as it's my 30th birthday

Edit: I just noticed I was made a member. holy shit.

Banned as a Jr. Come back a member!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO!

Roxas said:

Aaaahhh

Reminds me of revisiting the T-Rex in FFXII and demolishing it. Except in this game you get to do it ALL THE TIME. This game rules!

Majmun

Got my game yessssssssss!!!
The dual layer horror stories got me worried a little. But my Wii plays the game just fine. ':D

Schlomo

Franchuzas87 said:
Exactly. Huge enviroments without loads? Complex but accessible interface? No stupid characters? Except for little graphical issues, everything about the game is just awesome.

Apparently you haven't met Riki yet. ;)

kiryogi said:
What are you confused about?

I don't understand the logic behind which crystals to fuse together. I'm just throwing them randomly together.

Also, the percentages. What do they mean, and when a percentage goes way over 100% is that a waste? Or is that a good thing?

Guess it didn't help that I was exhausted and about to go to sleep when I read the tutorial last night.

Keasar

Bulzeeb said:
nope, they give you a link to download the songs as far as I know
I cant find the Xenoblade OST on the Nintendo UK page, do I have to register it first on their page to get it? Do I need to start saving up Stars because as from I see, the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack costs 4800 Stars (though that probably is because it is the physical form of it)?

CoolS

Franchuzas87 said:

Can only SO much agree on this. I already thought Gaur Plains were huge. Well turns out there is a second part of it which also seems quite big. holy shit!

Combat really is loads of fun. I wasnt to sure at first, but even when it gets hectic it is SO satisfying to get throug in one piece. I especially like how you are warned and can change the future on some attacks. That can get hectic as well if you don't know your party membes skills very well but it's just a huge sense of accomplishment if you prevent a death.

And am I the only one who accidently pulls huge groups of enemies at a time? ^^ I wanted to pull three Mechons before and suddenly two other groups joined in and I had to fight 10 at a time. I managed but it was a really big struggle and went on for 10 minutes or so :)

CruxisMana said:
rescue Sharla's sister

I thought
Juju is Sharla's brother??

And yes, I can't activate a lot of the conversations and guess it will be for future party members. Good reasons to come back later :)
Also agree its amazing how much time you can spend just in the menus or exploring. There is so much to check out and at the same time it's not becoming boring. 10 hours in nor and it still feels I am just scratching the surface of everything.

Some story impressions up to a boss fight in Gaur Plains (you will know which one I'm talking about):
The story is still focused on Shulk, Reyn and now Sharla but I really think it sucks you on so you want to keep going. The fight against that tentacle Mechon together with the insanely amazing cutscenes was just incredible. I really loved that part. And just when you thought it is over, suddenly a new Metal Face Mechon pops up and now the motherfucker can talk! And then you briefly get to fight him and can't even scratch him. Wow. I am torn between wanting to do some sidequest and explore or just rushing into Colony 6 now.

Oh one thing I need to add: the cutscenes in this one are amazing. Really engaging and actionpacked. Music also helps to take them to another level imo.

So far this game still lives up to all the hype and is probably even better. If it continues like this it will definitely be one of my favourite games of all time.

Top Bottom