• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

I guess if it doesn't come in today i'll just play MH Tri. I should at least go buy a flash drive and rip MH Tri in the meantime. might just put on PC and see how it runs on dolphin.

Apenheul

DMPrince said:
I guess if it doesn't come in today i'll just play MH Tri. I should at least go buy a flash drive and rip MH Tri in the meantime. might just put on PC and see how it runs on dolphin.

Playing Xenoblade reminded me of how much I'd like to play a MH game without segmented leveldesign and loading times. It's clear that it was a design choice and not hardware related.

Ragus

Banned
I want to apologise for my stupidity, I won't post anyting like that ever again. Now that got my lesson I guess I can post now.

I don't really like jrpgs, but this game is simply delicous.

Here are some things I love about Xenoblade:

-Enormous world. I feel like in Braveheart or some shit
-Non random battles. Yaaaaay.
-Dynamic battle system. You can laugh, but I find it somehow simmilar to WoW, and I like it.
-Terrific voice acting, but it may be just me. I like british accent.
-You can see your equipment. I am a sucker for those things. This is probably why I also liked DQIX
-Facilities like respawning near the place you died without any consequences or being able to use quick travel

Also, I have a question, is there any crafting in the game? Like connecting item A with item B to get a weapon?

Hopefully my copy will get here from game next week..

Having no tracking is driving me nuts.. though if I had tracking info, i'd be refreshing the page constantly.. so I guess it's not such a bad thing either..

bubnbob

Banned
Ragus said:
I want to apologise for my stupidity, I won't post anyting like that ever again. Now that got my lesson I guess I can post now.

I don't really like jrpgs, but this game is simply delicous.

Here are some things I love about Xenoblade:

-Enormous world. I feel like in Braveheart or some shit
-Non random battles. Yaaaaay.
-Dynamic battle system. You can laugh, but I find it somehow simmilar to WoW, and I like it.
-Terrific voice acting, but it may be just me. I like british accent.
-You can see your equipment. I am a sucker for those things. This is probably why I also liked DQIX
-Facilities like respawning near the place you died without any consequences or being able to use quick travel

Also, I have a question, is there any crafting in the game? Like connecting item A with item B to get a weapon?

You can craft Gems, that's it.

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:

I need to find something else to do than stare at the mailbox. :p

Subxero

Just ordered from ASDA for $49.43. It's scheduled to ship 8/22. I just hope every thing goes smoothly with the shipping to the US. I have to pick up a SD Card so I can free my Wii.

It's going to seem like such a long wait since I'm so excited to start it.

PetrCobra

So I started making a list of the collectables with plus and minus points at each party member (for the purpose of presenting, which can increase or decrease the affinity).

And I have one question.

Does it matter who presents the gift? For example, if Sharla gives something to Reyn and it increases their affinity by two hearts, can I expect the same outcome when Shulk gives that same thing to Reyn?

Zafir said:
Zavvi is the cheapest. £29.85 which apparently comes to $48, and free shipping.

Edit: Scratch that says it's available within a month, meaning it's out of stock. Could try http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/games/platforms/nintendo-wii/xenoblade-chronicles/10501221.html or http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Act...-Chronicles-/~r355973/?s=Xenoblade+Chronicles instead.

This is worrying me :/
... but where does it say that zavvi is out of stock? When I checked a few minutes ago, it said it was available and would ship within a day.
http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/nintendo-wii/xenoblade-chronicles/10501221.html

I didn't order the game until yesterday because I was hoping to find a good offer in a local store. Should have known better, no one around here would ever drop the price as low as the UK shops do.

Anyway, right now my order is "Awaiting Despatch", so I'm still expecting it to arrive next week ...

RPGCrazied said:
I need to find something else to do than stare at the mailbox. :p

Start another playthrough of Baten Kaitos and revel in the awesomeness and the huge step up Xenoblade Chronicles is.

Edit: And, because there are still some of us foreigners who are wary about modding their Wii, follow Clipper's guide for success:

Desmond

I'm not one for JRPGs, but the hype is Huge for Xenoblade. I feel sorry for for NA Gaf who are forced to import. I can just walk into a store a get it, but I may not. (Haven't played my Wii in years). Could someone link me sometime that'll make me buy right away?

Zwei

robut said:
Game says mine is being held as a pre-order as of today the 19th. Isn't today the official release date?

Today is the official release date. Odd.

Desmond said:
I feel sorry for for NA Gaf who are forced to import.

Well, it certainly beats waiting for NoA to localize Xenoblade. :/

Sennorin

Banned
3 hours into the game - and it´s gorgeous.

But besides all the typical elements of a JRPG that it does right, I´d like to mention some of the technical achievements that Xenoblades managed to do right.

- If you die, you are sent back just a little bit and you don´t lose experience or items. Keeps frustration out of the way.
- During cutscenes, you can press A to fast forward. However, if you decide to listen to the whole line of voice acting, the text automatically proceeds, without waiting for another A-button press. Great!
- Fast Travel is fantastic, it gives you a lot of teleport-options and it has no load times
- Enemies don´t necessarily attack you on sight, you have the choice of passing them by.

Also, I´m thrilled about the collectikon. Makes it so much more fun to explore the environment, while trying to fill out all item spots.

Combat is fun, the story is nice, but I assume it gets even better. Looking forward to playing more of Xenoblade <3

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
you're in Texas. i'm in Louisiana. i'm sure they go from Arkansas first so i have a chance! lulz!

sorry

You're gonna rub it in my face if you get it today? :O Nah, its cool. I really wont be getting it until next week me thinks.

Sadist

Man I love how outstretched this world is. I've only seen the first area and advancing to the second. Did some quests, grinded a bit.

RPGCrazied said:
You're gonna rub it in my face if you get it today? :O Nah, its cool. I really wont be getting it until next week me thinks.
yes lol.

and as far as the game goes. i would love and hope to see a town with lots of colors. with bright lights and all festive and whatnot.

Oh are there mini-games in this?

SecretMoblin said:
From what I've seen, it looks like the gem crafting is a sort of mini-game. There's a separate screen and it looks like you have to do timed button presses.
i've watched a video for gem crafting between shulk and reyn. I do not want lol.

Guys when it comes to skills and arts. Will I have enough points to max everything or is it better to focus on a few stuff first? Like just one tree for skills or maxing one art first?

Go_Ly_Dow

THANK YOU BASED NoE!

EvzrV.jpg

My
crappy, fake CCPro
is ready!!

Melhisedek said:
Guys when it comes to skills and arts. Will I have enough points to max everything or is it better to focus on a few stuff first? Like just one tree for skills or maxing one art first?

I just levelled up the arts that I used most of the time. You won't have enough points to max everything.

For Shulk it was the back/side attacks as well as his reduce aggro ability, whilst for Reyn his aggro boosting and high damage attacks.

CruxisMana said:
I just levelled up the arts that I used most of the time. You won't have enough points to max everything.

For Shulk it was the back/side attacks as well as his reduce aggro ability, whilst for Reyn his aggro boosting and high damage attacks.

How about Skills? "Integrity" tree for Shulk and such?

Aeana

CruxisMana said:

If you grind, I'm sure you can max everything. It's not like there's a limited number of SP/AP in the game.

Brannon

CRAP it didn't come in the mail today. Fine then, more Lodoss War for me, see if I care.

Oh god these footsteps are so loud.

M_Night said:
Sorry, UK.
Purchased from Asda. Shipped tuesday and arrived today.
Yikes. If it took that long for asda to deliver within the UK, it's going to take quite a while for my US order to arrive. Hope they didn't send it via steamboat.

Zafir

Kontergurke said:
This is worrying me :/
... but where does it say that zavvi is out of stock? When I checked a few minutes ago, it said it was available and would ship within a day.
http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/nintendo-wii/xenoblade-chronicles/10501221.html

I didn't order the game until yesterday because I was hoping to find a good offer in a local store. Should have known better, no one around here would ever drop the price as low as the UK shops do.

Anyway, right now my order is "Awaiting Despatch", so I'm still expecting it to arrive next week ...
They must have gotten another shipment since I checked, because it has indeed changed from "Will be dispatched within a month" to "In stock, dispatched within 24hours".
meltingparappa said:
Yikes. If it took that long for asda to deliver within the UK, it's going to take quite a while for my US order to arrive. Hope they didn't send it via steamboat.
Not always, someone else in this thread got their copy on pretty early this week from Asda, seems to vary a lot.

Mine didn't ship until tuesday.. so I'm not expecting it until late next week..

Once tuesday arrives, I'll be playing Deus Ex, though.. so I won't care as much.

I played another hour or so.

Defeated
the tentacle Mechon and Mysterious Face (?), although the latter did kill Shulk incredibly quickly because I was waiting to use a Monado ability which don't work on any of the faced Mechon it seems.
However, again, I do like that in multiple stage boss battles or chains of one boss after another that you don't have to fight them all again should you die. I love the Cockney voice of the above boss though. I'm really impressed by the quality of the English voice acting.

In terms of my guessing where the story is going at this point
I presume that the faced Mechon have somehow evolved from the rest and are harvesting Hom's in order to fuel their new abilities. Explains why the Mechon are attacking the colonies, why the faced Mechon have faces and 'blood' lines and why the Monado can't hurt them (since the Monado can't hurt Hom's).

Before I move progress any further though, where is the Tirkin HQ? I need to go there for a quest and I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Hela

The quests are very MMOish in their nature - bring 3 of Y, kill 2 of X, which could get really old really fast, at least for me.

Aeana

CruxisMana said:
Before I move progress any further though, where is the Tirkin HQ? I need to go there for a quest and I can't seem to find it anywhere!
It's directly east of the camp. Travel through the cave where you were sent to check out the ether deposit and keep going along the path.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Does anyone in the US have it yet? I wouldn't think so but you never know. Mine was mailed, dispatched, sent forth, whatever on the 16 so I'm guessing it will arrive next Thursday or Friday.

RPGCrazied

truly101 said:
Does anyone in the US have it yet? I wouldn't think so but you never know. Mine was mailed, dispatched, sent forth, whatever on the 16 so I'm guessing it will arrive next Thursday or Friday.

Nope. Not yet for me, and I ordered it 5 days ago.

Top Bottom