• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Brannon

RPGCrazied said:
How is that game? :p Believe it or not, that is my favorite anime of all time.

It's a pretty solid Diablo-ish game, dark atmosphere and your own personal Goblin army that's mostly useless but they find stuff for you. Sometimes.

I haven't seen the anime, but I do like the game. It's worth a run through.

meltingparappa said:
Yikes. If it took that long for asda to deliver within the UK, it's going to take quite a while for my US order to arrive. Hope they didn't send it via steamboat.
If it means anything to you, I also ordered from ASDA in the UK and I received my game on tuesday

Go_Ly_Dow

meltingparappa said:
Yikes. If it took that long for asda to deliver within the UK, it's going to take quite a while for my US order to arrive. Hope they didn't send it via steamboat.

Edit: beaten!

Blazingdarkness (also UK) copy was shipped on the same day and he received his the next day.

Was probably down to the mail service in my area.

I would say give it at least 7 days. All my orders from VGP (Canada > UK) take at least 6-7 days to arrive (10 days max). I can assume they send it via standard delivery since the price is so low.

Oxx

Good stuff so far (30 minutes in).

It's not ideal that I'm squinting at a small-ish 4:3 SDTV, but I'll definitely be able to put more time into the game this way than I would if I was using the main TV.

Aeana said:
It's directly east of the camp. Travel through the cave where you were sent to check out the ether deposit and keep going along the path.

Ah, thanks! I went through that cave, but must have missed it going further.

RPGCrazied said:
Without spoiling. Is there a lot of towns in the game? I only know of Colony 9.

From what I've gathered from watching trailers, each main area has at least 1 major settlement.

Varion

RPGCrazied said:
Without spoiling. Is there a lot of towns in the game? I only know of Colony 9.
I wouldn't say a lot per se, so I'll go with 'an average amount'. There's definitely more than Colony 9.

RPGCrazied

Zafir said:
I'm heading to another colony now, so there's atleast two.

Big as the game is, I'm hoping for a modest amount of them. Who knows though.

Brannon said:
I haven't seen the anime

Do you like anime? If so, I'd say watch it. Of course it doesn't have the best animation, but the art is better than good for an anime in the early 90's.

I'm just hoping for a big-ish snow area. I love snow in RPGs (and in real life), but for some reason most of them don't do it right.

I just want something as amazing as Phendrana Drifts.

Just picked up the CC Pro Edition. The wrapping is so cheap, OMG, most of the store copies were already damaged. Also the controller is pretty sexy. Didn't know you have to plug it into the wiimote, that's pretty dumb.

Installing now, can't wait!

bw7swx7temeg5n1w7.png

Yo France, you really like Japanese stuff or what.

kiryogi

Banned
Sennorin said:
3 hours into the game - and it´s gorgeous.

But besides all the typical elements of a JRPG that it does right, I´d like to mention some of the technical achievements that Xenoblades managed to do right.

- If you die, you are sent back just a little bit and you don´t lose experience or items. Keeps frustration out of the way.
- During cutscenes, you can press A to fast forward. However, if you decide to listen to the whole line of voice acting, the text automatically proceeds, without waiting for another A-button press. Great!
- Fast Travel is fantastic, it gives you a lot of teleport-options and it has no load times
- Enemies don´t necessarily attack you on sight, you have the choice of passing them by.

Also, I´m thrilled about the collectikon. Makes it so much more fun to explore the environment, while trying to fill out all item spots.

Combat is fun, the story is nice, but I assume it gets even better. Looking forward to playing more of Xenoblade <3
well the fast travel isn't completely without loading. If you travel from one area to another major area, there does tend to be a little loading.

RPGCrazied

SecretMoblin said:
I'm just hoping for a big-ish snow area. I love snow in RPGs (and in real life), but for some reason most of them don't do it right.

I just want something as amazing as Phendrana Drifts.

I hope it does have a snow area too, that's the one thing I haven't seen. I did see a sandy area though.

kiryogi

Banned
Sennorin said:
3 hours into the game - and it´s gorgeous.

But besides all the typical elements of a JRPG that it does right, I´d like to mention some of the technical achievements that Xenoblades managed to do right.

- If you die, you are sent back just a little bit and you don´t lose experience or items. Keeps frustration out of the way.
- During cutscenes, you can press A to fast forward. However, if you decide to listen to the whole line of voice acting, the text automatically proceeds, without waiting for another A-button press. Great!
- Fast Travel is fantastic, it gives you a lot of teleport-options and it has no load times
- Enemies don´t necessarily attack you on sight, you have the choice of passing them by.

Also, I´m thrilled about the collectikon. Makes it so much more fun to explore the environment, while trying to fill out all item spots.

Combat is fun, the story is nice, but I assume it gets even better. Looking forward to playing more of Xenoblade <3
well the fast travel isn't completely without loading. If you travel from one area to another major area, there does tend to be a little loading.

Later on there will be enemies that attack on sight/sound/ether, so be wary! (Like an MMO!)

Secretmoblin
there is a snow area and its crazy!

Varion

TDLink said:
Fairly certain I saw a snowy mountainous area in one of the trailers...I could be wrong though.
If you watch the overhead area views if you leave the title screen running
there is indeed a snow mountain. Looks absolutely gorgeous at night too.

kiryogi said:
Later on there will be enemies that attack on sight/sound/ether, so be wary! (Like an MMO!)
Nothing like creeping into a cave full of L70+ attack-on-sound enemies and fearing for your life if you accidentally start running.

weeaboo

slaughterking said:
http://666kb.com/i/bw7swx7temeg5n1w7.png/img]

Yo France, you really like Japanese stuff or what.[/QUOTE]

Also from what I've heard the game is flying off the shelves here in Spain :3

LProtag

Mailtruck just passed on the other side of the road. I have to leave for a doctor's appointment in a few though. I'm not really expecting the game today, but it would be a pleasant surprise to come home to it.

RPGCrazied

I'm going to laugh if NoA tries to release this now. I myself, unless some sort of big CE, won't be getting it.

Little to late for me.

Hela said:
The quests are very MMOish in their nature - bring 3 of Y, kill 2 of X, which could get really old really fast, at least for me.
That's true, but what helps is that you don't have to go back to the person who gave you the quest in order to complete it. Soon as you get the items or kill the monsters then you complete the quest.

RPGCrazied said:
I'm going to laugh if NoA tries to release this now. I myself, unless some sort of big CE, won't be getting it.

Little to late for me.
if they do they'll probably tuck it in between their heavy release like Mario or Zelda lol.

Folks who have already played this one... How is the story? I mean gameplay has impressed the hell out of me. But what can I expect from story? Deep? Cliche?
Oh and how long is the game, I mean I've played for 8 hours already and it feels like I've barely scratched the surface :)

Melhisedek said:
Folks who have already played this one... How is the story? I mean gameplay has impressed the hell out of me. But what can I expect from story? Deep? Cliche?
Oh and how long is the game, I mean I've played for 8 hours already and it feels like I've barely scratched the surface :)
some say story alone is 60 hours.

Honestly, I don't know why they couldn't have focused on the exploration aspects of the game and marketed it as "Twilight Princess with a soul".

Everyone brings up the Demon's Souls comparison because it's perfect: it's a great game, Atlus was confident in its quality, it ended up getting a ton of critical attention and love from the broader gaming community, and it ended up selling well. Now it's rightly considered one of the PS3's great games. Despite being on the Wii, I don't think Xenoblade Chronicles would be a disaster.

But all of that is moot -- for me at least. I'm done wasting energy getting mad at NoA, especially when I imported the game for (slightly) less money than I would have spent here. If I need to do this again for The Last Story, then I'll do it. I'm better prepared this time.

I've also restarted learning Japanese, because I fear for the future of Japanese games in the West.

Melhisedek said:
After 13 hours I personally think it's a rather ordinary JRPG story with some cheesy dialogue and an amazing setting. I like it, but it's not what makes this game so excellent imo.

Ok, been playing it for a few hours now. I love it already. The music is godly, the environments are massive AND detailed with a strong sense of craftmanship (nothing is placed just for the sake of it)

Combat is fast paced and original and I can already tell that it's gonna get a lot deeper.

Also, maybe best of all, the voice acting is ridiculously British! Feels good man :D

Best RPG of this generation? Seems like it so far (and by a landslide!)

kiryogi

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Its got tried and true elements, but its also a Tetsuya Takahashi title. So if you've played xenogears/xenosaga/soma bringer, that's what you can expect.

Varion

Tguy said:
That's true, but what helps is that you don't have to go back to the person who gave you the quest in order to complete it. Soon as you get the items or kill the monsters then you complete the quest.
Yeah, what I tend to do is try and accept as many quests as possible, and particularly with regards to the kill X monster or get X item quests I tend to do half of them while exploring without even going out my way. Go around fighting enemies, looking for landmarks, filling in the map and you bump into those monsters and get those items anyway.

The only ones you really have to go out your way for are red quest items or talking to people, and sometimes you can get the red quest items before talking to people anyway, so as soon as you find the NPC you can finish it.

Not having to report back really does make a difference.

RPGCrazied said:
I have a feeling this might bump Tales of Vesperia off the #1 spot for me. That's no small feat. :)

From my experience with both so far (I've finished TOV 360 BTW), Xenoblade takes a giant dump on TOV from a massive height.

Of course it's still really early days, but it does seem to live up to all the hype so far (we could be talking SNES RPG levels of awesome)

Chanser

CE packaging was crap, the glue wasn't sticking together and now I'm kind of left with a flat piece of cardboard packaging.

The waiting game seems like it will take eons. I got my dispatch email on Wednesday, and although it says Ill get it the day of release, Im sure I probably wont get it until the 22nd or 23rd.

I havent been chomping at the bit for an RPG like this since fucking Chrono Cross. It's been a looooonnnnng time.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chanser said:
CE packaging was crap, the glue wasn't sticking together and now I'm kind of left with a flat piece of cardboard packaging.
That's what the unboxing video showed. It was kind of falling apart...

McNum

BocoDragon said:
That's what the unboxing video showed. It was kind of falling apart...
Oh, so it wasn't just mine that did that? Yeah, it's a little disappointing. Well, it's time to get started on the game for me. Let's see what this game can do...

Disguises

Disc is only being read 1/10 times I insert the disc. Luckily I just had enough time to install to HDD. Seems like my Wii is on its way out :(.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I hope mine actually ships correctly to my apartment. I already ordered vitamins from Canada that still haven't gotten here even though the company said they shipped them. I also opted out of e-mails from Zavvia, but I still ended up getting them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Arpeggio23 said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/19/how-to-play-xenoblade-chronicles-if-you-live-in-america/

So confused....

I thought the ONLY thing that we needed to do to play Xenoblade on our NA Wiis was the Letterbomb portion of that Joystiq article. But then the article goes on to say that we'll also need IOS236 and D2X. Is that true?
The article goes on to mention the Configurable USB Loader. I assume those steps are to enable that.

If you just want to load from disc, letterbomb + region free loader (ie Gecko OS) should be all you need.

Arpeggio23 said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/19/how-to-play-xenoblade-chronicles-if-you-live-in-america/

So confused....

I thought the ONLY thing that we needed to do to play Xenoblade on our NA Wiis was the Letterbomb portion of that Joystiq article. But then the article goes on to say that we'll also need IOS236 and D2X. Is that true?

You can either use Gecko OS, which requires the Homebrew Channel and Gecko OS, or you can use Configurable USB Loader, which requires the Homebrew Channel, IOS236, d2x, and Configurable USB Loader.

Here is a link to the region-free section of the Wiki.

Top Bottom