• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Jomjom

Banned
I fully support the Joystiq article on how to make your Wii region-free, but I wonder if Nintendo is going to give them crap about it.

provo57 said:
Has anyone tried this on Dolphin yet? I'll probably import it if it works well.

It runs perfectly once your system is powerful enough. Runs 100% for me @ 1080p with a i5 750 @ 3.6GHZ and a 4890. I posted my settings in the Dolphin thread.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Does this game feature any stupid/annoying/arbitrary missables? Or can I simply relax and leisurely explore away without worry?

I want to know where they got that cool armour from.

My Shulk was stuck in swimshorts for hours because it was the best thing I had for him.

shadyspace said:
Will I be able to run it on Dolphin with a Core 2 Quad, 4 gig RAM and a GTX 260?

If your processor is running over 3.2ghz you should be fine. Most people seem to have audio issues if running below that.

RPGCrazied

When I played the Japanese Import on Dolphin it looked good, but I had massive sound trouble. I switched to LLE, the start with the two robots fighting worked perfect. Then when it switched to the big battle between the mechon the sound skipped and stuttered like mad.

I don't know if its going to change much with the EU version.

What config did you use?

RPGCrazied said:
What config did you use?

I posted my settings in the Dolphin Thread here

For the Audio issues CPU speed seems to be the main factor. HLE works perfectly fine for me except for two cutscenes in 10 hours. Revision doesn't seem to matter either. Used an older 6000odd revision, dolphin 3.0 and currently using 7436 with no difference in performance between them.

Oh also the PAL version runs at 25fps so it might actually run better for you than the jp version did.

RPGCrazied

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T(3.2)
6gigs of DDR3 1333hz
HD Radeon 5770 1GB

My computer.

I'll try again when I get the EU version then.

Reknoc

Oh nice. I didn't realise Reyn's desperation to get into Sharla's pants was more than a single line, always seemed to cut off after Reyn asked if Sharla saw him.

Zafir

CruxisMana said:
I want to know where they got that cool armour from.

My Shulk was stuck in swimshorts for hours because it was the best thing I had for him.
I've got it as well, it's called Regnas. No idea where I got it though, sorry. xD Just happened to find it when I decided to equip new armour I'd gathered from all the quests I did.

Zafir said:
I've got it as well, it's called Regnas. No idea where I got it though, sorry. xD Just happened to find it when I decided to equip new armour I'd gathered from all the quests I did.

No bother. Shulk has nice legs anyways.

BluWacky

Mejilan said:
Does this game feature any stupid/annoying/arbitrary missables? Or can I simply relax and leisurely explore away without worry?

There are timed quests which are clearly marked as such, but I don't think you can miss anything important.

Then again, I've played for about an hour, so...

That hour has been excellent, though. And all I'm doing is pottering around the town before anything actually happens!

kiryogi

Banned
There are some significant upgrades later in the game that are indeed missable/timed. You'll know when you can't go back and do it though, it's a point of no return.

squall23

So, Kouli from GameFAQs posted a link to all the maps in the game with named mobs and important items in Japanese. Of course, don't look if you don't want to be spoiled and/or know Japanese.

http://xenobladedata.web.fc2.com/

Wow, I don't even remember fighting that many bosses in Colony 9 during my Japanese run let alone the entire game, and I actually did trying looking for bosses.

Zafir

I think I got that armour off some mobs honestly. Just got some Regnas legs in the bat ambush cave. Damn the randomness of loot.

Nocturnowl said:
I better beef myself up 2 levels in that case

Just explore a little bit. 2 or 3 sidequests and you'll probably be good to go.

An extra level on a boss can make all the difference from what I've experienced.

Roxas

right, ive been playing for around 10 hours now so here's some of my thoughts...

- I'll start with the story first, i dont want to spoil anything but its a pretty interesting concept. The characters are likeable, the VO is suprisingly really good and i was very impressed that they went with a British cast, makes them stand out more than the usual generic voices.

- The graphics are ok. Some parts look better than others. i.e when your out in the plains = good. When your in the city = ..ehh not so good. But if i wanted to play a game with amazing graphics i'd go play FFXIII or something...

- Speaking of FFXIII, you know how it sucked that you could only go and explore at the very end of the game? Well i have two words for you..."Gaur Plains"

- The battle system is one of the best in any RPG i have played. Its all so smooth. As you progress, they keep adding more things to the game and at the time you think to yourself "oh no, not another thing i have to learn" but its so easy and smooth to get used to.

- I like the way you can just pick and choose who you want to fight against. Obviously there are some enemies who are more aggressive than others and will chase you for a little bit but it isnt so bad. Reminds me a lot of FF12.

- I love the way there are lots of little things that make the gameplay so good. Things i cannot believe other RPG's do not do. for example, the way quests just automatically end when you have slayed a monster or collected enough items. Instead of going back and trying to find the quest giver. Also the faster travel is REALLY fast. you can travel to any place you have visited in seconds.

- The collectables section is cool. For the whores out there who like to collect stuff, well you get rewarded in the game for doing so. Collect a certain amount of items in a category (fruit etc) in an area, and you will get rewarded with a crystal that can boost your stats in your weapon/armour

- ACHIEVEMENTS! For those of us who are spoiled by achievements/trophies on the HD systems, they have included them in the game. Yeah they are basic and dont actually mean anything, its always nice to see them pop up after killing 500 monsters :p

- Other cool bits like the "Relationship scenes" (i forget the proper name), its interesting, and funny to try and mess up the conversation. I like the way the menu works, just press X and it all pops up at the bottom.

- I like the way you dont get punished for dying in the game. Some might not like it, but if you die, you just go back to the last "monument". Also the fact you can save pretty much anywhere in the game helps too.

- Finally, and not least, the Soundtrack. Its marverlous. The battle theme is straight out of Kingdom Hearts, which is not a bad thing at all. Colony 9 and Gaur Plains are super catchy (the day themes) and i have spent the last 2-3 hours just running around the plains levelling up and listening to the songs. I've downloaded the mini soundtrack from Nintendo, thank you very much :D

Like i said, only 10 hours in, im sure i will have much more impressions to come.

This, so far is right up there with my favourite RPG's of all time.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I love Reyn's accent - he is such a chav although slightly well-spoken, worlds are colliding, etc. I was going to play this in Japanese but I stuck with the English since it didn't seem to bother me whatsoever. Only wanted to play this for an hour to test out the waters but I sunk 4 hours in to it late last night and want to go play it some more but I need to write boring things about Singapore's election.

Overall though I am enjoying it. The battle system is fine and so far I haven't been hit with any mediocrity. At first when I hit Colony 9 and considered the differences in day/night and how big it was I was a little worried, but something just clicked and it seemed good. Maybe it is the ability to fast travel.

My only problem is the lack of bestiary. You get a whole heap of quests dealing with killing monsters and there's no bestiary?? They dropped the ball on that one.

Roxas said:
- ACHIEVEMENTS! For those of us who are spoiled by achievements/trophies on the HD systems, they have included them in the game. Yeah they are basic and dont actually mean anything, its always nice to see them pop up after killing 500 monsters :p
They give you experience and they are very plentiful. I would argue they do mean something. :p

Peff

Roxas said:

They do, actually. Every achievement you get gives you extra experience, and in some cases quite a bit too. I think I got one for 1500 XP earlier.

weeaboo

Roxas said:
- Speaking of FFXIII, you know how it sucked that you could only go and explore at the very end of the game? Well i have two words for you..."Gaur Plains"

15 hours later I finally left Gaur Plains

I don't know what's going to happen now but ohmygod

god damn, this game looks so effing good on an emulator, minus the low res textures. i wish sony bought monolith instead.
this game is like ffxii running on gran pulse non stop.
i5 imac running bootcamp, game runs 99% perfect.

mclem

Taking a quick break to get my WoW stuff out of the way, but: oh my, this is good. It's turned out to be absorbing in a way I *wasn't* expecting. I'm two hours into the game - but I've done barely anything, really. Not even side quests! After the brief combat-focussed tutorial bit, I got to Colony 9, and I've not left there; I've spent two hours just tooling around the place filling in the various affinity links. I just love the way that every single named character has a small story, which evolves as you find out who they interact with on a regular basis.

I think part of this is my WoW tendency to want to gather all quests in an area before setting out, and finding them is proving rather difficult; in part due to the fact that different people are accessible at different times, and in part because the blips on the radar that represent named people and questgivers have a rather smaller range than the radar itself. I *still* haven't found Material Quest 1.

More locational information in the affinity chart would be nice; I don't remember who the heck Leopold was, but apparently I've had a chat with him, and after talking to some other people, I wouldn't mind following up on that.

Looking forward to actually getting to progress the story in a bit!

Seik

Banned
jschreier said:
Hey, I wrote that Joystiq article. Glad you guys enjoyed!

Nice work! My wii is already modded but for the people who still hasn't modded it and want to play this game badly its great! Kudos!

EDIT: Still no Xenoblade in my mailbox *sigh* even if I was expecting it. Each freacking days next week will be filled with hype! XD

Ok, been playing a bit more. I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!!!

I'm ready to crown it as the best RPG of this gen at this point. The "Nintendo Polish" is clearly evident in this game in every respect, the characterisation is great and the story & gameplay is perfectly paced so far.

Haven't enjoyed a serious (i.e non Mario/silly RPG) RPG this much since Skies of Arcadia. If the game keeps up this level of quality, it's easily amongst the likes of Chrono Trigger and FF 4/6 for me.

BTW: Special shoutout to the excellent English localisation. The dub is fantastic and the script is very well written, full of life and nice touches. Can't believe that Nintendo's UK localisation team managed to pull it off (You'd know from my past history that I've hated their past efforts)

You Yanks are in for a culture shock for sure!

Basslover

OK, I wish I could join the fun with you guys but Im sorta short on money and I played on my old roomate's wii so now I ahve to buy one too :( and I'm in the midwest (Michigan) so yeah...

I will buy it along the way tho, I have been luring this thread and the excitement is contagious, I remember seeing that old video from E3 when it was still monado, when I was a lurker here reading the Japanise OT and bebpo's and Aeana's impressions and is good that it finally got an english release (even though not here)

BUT anyways just came here to post this since I didn't see it in the thread: some news about xenoblade sales, it seems it is selling fairly well at least for now (at least we know it wasn't a complete bomb) http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...blade_Chronicles_Sees_Big_FirstWeek_Sales.php

Thoraxes

provo57 said:
Has anyone tried this on Dolphin yet? I'll probably import it if it works well.
It's currently working very well. Just got my copy in, looks great.

I can post screens if anyone wants; just let me know somewhere that allows uploads without loss of quality.

I think I'm about to change my main character. I feel pretty comfortable while playing as Shulk, but I could use some variety after 15 hours.
I just hope the AI knows how to handle the Monado.

MYE

Thoraxes said:
It's currently working very well. Just got my copy in, looks great.

I can post screens if anyone wants; just let me know somewhere that allows uploads without loss of quality.

Try imgur

vitacola

Finally ...

UZMrL.jpg

installing right now.

But the DHL dude trolled me hard:
Had to pick up my mother from the airport today and got up around 10am. Normally the dude arrives around noon, but today he wasn't. I had to hit the road around 2pm and no postman has been seen. I was just about to leave and saw a DHL car driving down the other side of my street. Got out, but no postman. Damn, I thought "fuck that" and drove to the airport. Luckily one of the neighbours had accepted the package.
The tracking information tells me: "Status vom Fr, 19.08.11 14:21 Uhr -> Die Sendung wurde erfolgreich zugestellt." (delivered 2:21pm) :D

Oh, that's the guy:
Qn5jF.jpg

Top Bottom