• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
RPGCrazied said:
Welcome to the club of waiting and going crazy. :p I know most of you have tolerance, but ugh.
I'm pretty happy it shipped since I ordered it the day it came out.

Mistle

- Here's an album with 20 or so pics -
Click 'download full resolution" for bigger versions. Last two just show the lighting changes for night time and sunset.

Here's one of my favourites:

Eos3C.jpg

Random numbers update
I've got
sidequests activated, of which
are completed. The remaining ones I can't complete yet because of high level mobs/area can't be reached yet
Affinity is
4 stars for colony 9 and 2 starts for colony 6
so seems like there's lots more to come! :D

TheExodu5

Banned
About the 25/30fps thing...from what I'm reading, the native framerate of the game for the PAL version is still 25fps...what does that mean for audio/timing issues? Is there one version of the game that will be more correct than the other?

edit: might just be a Dolphin issue...maybe I'll have to just play this on my Wii instead. =\

Alextended said:
I've kinda been rushing the story (I'm still in the beginning like 6 hours in), what level should I be to save
juju
? That boss is kicking my ass, killing me in one or two hits, without doing some special move that causes a flash forward vision. Unless there's a trick to it I'm not seeing it seems impossible at lvl 16-17. Or maybe my gear sucks. Should I just go back and do side quests, I've barely done any at all because I wanted to see what happens next...

I'm 9 hours in and I'm not even that far. I'm also level 20 and I just got to the
camp.

I imagine the game paces itself under the idea that you'll complete at least some quests and try and get better gear.

Peterthumpa

TheExodu5 said:
About the 25/30fps thing...from what I'm reading, the native framerate of the game for the PAL version is still 25fps...what does that mean for audio/timing issues? Is there one version of the game that will be more correct than the other?
Don't bother with it. Yes, the game runs @ 25 FPS but it certainly doesn't feels like it. Very smooth.

Relax and enjoy the game.

TheExodu5

Banned
felipepl said:
Don't bother with it. Yes, the game runs @ 25 FPS but it certainly doesn't feels like it. Very smooth.

Relax and enjoy the game.

I am a huuuuge framerate nut. Anyways, it seems running the Dolphin version at 120% speed (30fps) matches the Japanese version.

Otherwise, I'm hearing of a crackling audio issue...hopefully the issue is solved by someone by the time I get the game, or hopefully my overclocked i5 can pull through it regardless.

Aeana said:
Does it run at 25 FPS even in 480p mode on the Wii?
Weird that nobody's said anything yet, if so.

Doesn't seem to be. I can't say for certain as I don't have exact recording equipment but looks like locked 30 to me.

Eusis

Is it actually running at a lower FPS than the original version? Really may wait until the end of the year to be sure before deciding to/not to import then. It's not a big enough deal to pass over it entirely, but there's still a vague chance of it coming here and I'd rather that die out (or be completely impractical to hold out on) first.

Sophia

The framerate isuse is actually one of the reasons why I didn't preorder, as I don't have a means of playing the Wii in 480p. :\

TheExodu5

Banned
Aeana said:
Does it run at 25 FPS even in 480p mode on the Wii?
Weird that nobody's said anything yet, if so.

I'm just reading through Dolphin threads...could very well just be a Dolphin issue. I'll know once I get the game in (hopefully) this week.

The Antitype said:
Just as proof of how weird the human sub-conscious is, I had a dream about this game.

I haven't been following it, I'm not excited for it (since I live in NA), and I barely know a damn thing about it. But I have read about it in passing and watched a few youtube videos.

Anyway, the dream was that the game was the unanimous choice for Wii Game of the Year and Game of the Year across the industry.

....But it still didn't come out in North America.
sounds like a nightmare.

RPGCrazied said:

Side note, but did you ever get your GameFAQs thing sorted out? That was a pretty absurd reason to ban you over there.

Also, two more questions about the game: is the only purpose of Burst Affinity to increase the chain gauge, or are there other stat increases/benefits?

And I saw a video where someone killed two of the same type of enemy, but they killed one during a chain attack and got more EXP/AP/SP. Do you get extra points for killing during a chain attack or is that because of a skill?

bubnbob

Banned
I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Many of them are very throw-away. But you do get a nice amount of customization on what skills you want X person to have, to compliment or help beef their weaknesses up.

Can anyone tell me what Sharla's Heat Bullet does exactly? I know it's supposed to raise "tension", but whenever I apply it on a party member I see absolutely no visual cue that it's doing anything.

bubnbob

Banned
xtrasauce said:
Can anyone tell me what Sharla's Heat Bullet does exactly? I know it's supposed to raise "tension", but whenever I apply it on a party member I see absolutely no visual cue that it's doing anything.

Because it doesn't apply a noticable amount of Tension. Did you upgrade it? Tension is when the flames appear next to your character's portrait.

Gibbo

Fuck! Having loads of difficulty finding monsters in the challenge quests. They never seem to appear where they should as per descriptions > : (

One last question regarding "hacking my wii".

Sorry.

Rather than use a USB stick to load the Xenoblade ISO onto it once I get it...can I just use my portable hard drive that connects through USB?

Gibbo said:
Fuck! Having loads of difficulty finding monsters in the challenge quests. They never seem to appear where they should as per descriptions > : (
maybe some enemies come out during the night! try changing time!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
bigdaddygamebot said:
One last question regarding "hacking my wii".

Sorry.

Rather than use a USB stick to load the Xenoblade ISO onto it once I get it...can I just use my portable hard drive that connects through USB?
Absolutely.

And hard drives are better because they're bigger n such.

Sophia

Snapshot King said:
Yeah but what IS tension?

Basically, the higher your tension, the higher your critical rate and chain attack damage is. If your portrait is on fire, your character has high tension.

On the other hand, if you have low tension, you miss more often. Low Tension has your portrait sulking.

watershed

Banned
Reading the reviews and watching a bunch of videos this game seems a lot like FF12. To the people who have played/are playing it would you say my assumption is correct? FF12 is one of my favorite rpgs and I'm still debating whether or not to pick it up. If this were available in NA I'd pick it up right away. But I'm unsure about importing and modding when another rpg (Deus Ex) is coming out next week and I can just drop by a store to grab it.

bubnbob

Banned
Snapshot King said:
Yeah but what IS tension?

Just a general increase of attack and such. Nothing special. If you are incapacitated (dead) - you lose it. You can equip a skill that keeps your Tension even if you die.

Are these arriving from theHut or Zavvi yet? I've been out of town, but will pick up bulk mail Monday afternoon. Hopefully have something to play for a day before classes start.

bubnbob said:
Because it doesn't apply a noticable amount of Tension. Did you upgrade it? Tension is when the flames appear next to your character's portrait.

Yeah I did upgrade it to level 4. I guess it increases tension but so far I haven't seen my guy's facial portrait change when I cast it on him. Oh well.

artwalknoon said:
Reading the reviews and watching a bunch of videos this game seems a lot like FF12. To the people who have played/are playing it would you say my assumption is correct? FF12 is one of my favorite rpgs and I'm still debating whether or not to pick it up. If this were available in NA I'd pick it up right away. But I'm unsure about importing and modding when another rpg (Deus Ex) is coming out next week and I can just drop by a store to grab it.

It's like FFXII but with a much tighter battle system IMO, and an even bigger world to explore and more stuff to do.

Also, the story is arguably better than FFXII.

(I'm 19 hours into Xenoblade... and I never finished FFXII to be fair)

watershed

Banned
xtrasauce said:
It's like FFXII but with a much tighter battle system IMO, and an even bigger world to explore and more stuff to do.

Also, the story is arguably better than FFXII.

(I'm 19 hours into Xenoblade... and I never finished FFXII to be fair)
Cool thanks. The gambit system in FF12 was not great so its good to here the combat is better in Xenoblades. I still can't quite convince myself to get this game but I am inching ever closer to doing so. The problem is I really want the collector's edition but that's like $90 US.

bubnbob

Banned
xtrasauce said:
Yeah I did upgrade it to level 4. I guess it increases tension but so far I haven't seen my guy's facial portrait change when I cast it on him. Oh well.

Tension isn't just "bloop - you're on fire" - you have to build it up. It increases when you do the Burst Affinity, or those random B button presses, help your partner, etc.

Heat Bullet just speeds up the process. I ditched the skill since I'd rather set something that is more useful in battle.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The thread title gets tarnished because one guy asks a crazy question? Ugh.

bubnbob said:
Tension isn't just "bloop - you're on fire" - you have to build it up. It increases when you do the Burst Affinity, or those random B button presses, help your partner, etc.

Heat Bullet just speeds up the process. I ditched the skill since I'd rather set something that is more useful in battle.

Right, but I thought it was the thin yellow line by each character's icon. I know the big orange line is XP, so what is the yellow line then?

mattiewheels said:
The thread title gets tarnished because one guy asks a crazy question? Ugh.
It really wasn't one guy. There were several posts that were frankly skating on thin ice.

That said, I say let them get banned and learn a lesson. Change the title to something awesome!

Top Bottom