• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venfayth

The in game manual says you can buy your Skell back if it wrecks without insurance for an expensive price, anyone know about how much that is yet?

Also, I'm so sad I have to work. Why can't I keep playing Xenoblade? I was actually embarrassingly close to bringing my WiiU to work and playing it from my backpack.. x_x

I guess I'll just talk about it all day in this thread instead.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I need to find Elephant's Nail or something in Noctilum to fix a helicopter. I've travelled a ton of Noctilum to no avail.

A spherical EM motor.

Munter

So I finally caved and ordered this game, should be with me this week at some point. You're all making it sound too good to miss out on, so I blame you all for the hours I'm about to waste!!

Mupod

I need to find Elephant's Nail or something in Noctilum to fix a helicopter. I've travelled a ton of Noctilum to no avail.

Giant's Nail. The real pain in the ass here is that even if you find it, it's not even THERE. You're looking for an area near Probe 215.

It's a lot farther north than they suggest so you're in for a hike. Essentially it's on a level above the Giant's Nail landmark, after you find probe 215 turn around and look for a big cave opening. I found the item I was looking for at the base of a one of those root-bridge-ramp things (and then a nutsack spider dropped down and one shot me).

Wish I could just post a screenshot but I'm at work so yeah.

NeonZ

I finished chapter 5 last night, and I gotta say
that "twist" was clumsy as all hell. They clearly designed the cutscene with your arm getting ripped off and revealing the robotics to be shocking, only for the characters' explanation to just be "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you about that, NBD."

Rewatch the conversation at the end of the previous chapter with the higher ups.
The characters obviously were talking about the twist like it was common knowledge.

Rewatch the conversation at the end of the previous chapter with the higher ups.
The characters obviously were talking about the twist like it was common knowledge.

Yeah, I saw that when it was happening and had already assumed this was the case from some other stuff too. Still pretty funny though.

Also, where can you rewatch cutscenes? I accidentally skipped one in an affinity mission the other day.

Raide

Even from the start of the game, there are some word choices that indicate this twist. Even without the spoilers, I kinda guessed.

Omnicent

Curators get 5 BLADE points per blue collectible. I switched to this Division for that reason.

Wait WHAT!?
Is this for adding entries to the colleectpedia or just getting collectables on the field. Is their a limit in the case for the latter.

Cause this would solve any BP worries I have and make gathering quests worthwhile (not as boring) if you are a curator.

LProtag

So you have to get to level 30 to use any skells except the starter? Looks like it's a bit of a wait for me then. At least I can save up, I can only afford one mid-sized one right now.

Nightbird

Is there a list somewhere where I can see the location of everyone I can add to party?

And is there a way to manually set a location as goal outside of a mission?

Both things would make playing a bit easier for me right now

Xane

Wait WHAT!?
Is this for adding entries to the colleectpedia or just getting collectables on the field. Is their a limit in the case for the latter.

Cause this would solve any BP worries I have and make gathering quests worthwhile (not as boring) if you are a curator.

Nope, simply for collecting. And no, no limit. Collect all the things.

Mupod

Wait WHAT!?

I dunno, I've been a Pathfinder mostly because I explore and drop probes before I do anything else in a zone, but I always end up back in Harriers. Tyrants respawn so I can just go bump one off and get 150+ points at a time.

Xane

So you have to get to level 30 to use any skells except the starter? Looks like it's a bit of a wait for me then. At least I can save up, I can only afford one mid-sized one right now.

Yeah, I tried looking for any requirement text in the Skell Frame shop, but there isn't any. Seems like you unlock one every 10 levels. I unlocked the next batch by reaching lv30.

aravuus

Is there NG+?

Wait WHAT!?

Latter. Go nuts!

I'm not sure how best to level up all the characters... I just got access to like 3 or 4 new ones after finishing Mission 4. I hate to switch out Elma and Lin because they are the "main" characters and I don't want them to fall behind, but I would like to be able to do the affinity quests for some of the others, so I feel like I should use them some, too. I'm a bit annoyed they don't level when out of party.

I'm not sure how best to level up all the characters... I just got access to like 3 or 4 new ones after finishing Mission 4. I hate to switch out Elma and Lin because they are the "main" characters and I don't want them to fall behind, but I would like to be able to do the affinity quests for some of the others, so I feel like I should use them some, too. I'm a bit annoyed they don't level when out of party.

The lack of them leveling when outside the party is perhaps this game's biggest flaw. Second-biggest is not having any easy way to move the characters into your party.

Freeman76

How much of this game is PSO like? I have been looking for a PSO similar game for a while.

After buying it and putting in some serious hours, I have to say it feels like an evolution of PSO somehow. The aesthetics are very similar, the sense of exploration is also similar, the feel of the world, weapon design also. If it had 4 player co-op where you went out rare hunting it would be the icing on the cake.

Ive been looking for a PSO-like game for years now, and this is the closest ive come to finding one, and from what I've seen so far I will play this for months and months like I did with PSO back in the DC/GC days. Awesome game, buy it!

Huge/scale landscapes are not impressive at all when they are made of primitive geometry and little to no dynamic objects with the same primitive geometry. Huge landscapes can be done by both lastgen platforms, that's a no brainer. Ever heard of assets streaming? Streaming system allows you to make the world pretty much of any size, you're limited only by disk space. Problems occur when you want to make it alive - add croud simulation, traffic, weather, night/day cycle, physics. That's when a simple student level project becomes AAA title in a technical sense. And on top of that GTA 5 and RDR have a top notch render system - dynamic HDR lighting, dynamic shadows, better AA, weather simulation with proper rain implementation, atmospheric effects (it's not a day night cycle when you don't even simulate atmosperic scattering), post-effects, complex animation system etc. And with all of that GTA/RDR 5 has huge landscapes - just stand on a mountain and you will see huge draw distance even on last-gen consoles. Xenoblade just doesn't hold a candle in any possible category. let's be honest though, they did good for the budget and hardware they had, obviously it wasn't gonna touch Rockstar games technically, but they made the right sacrifices considering there budget and the hardware.

Man, you're probably the single most annoying (and "committed") poster on this forum, and that's saying a lot.

Hellers

The lack of them leveling when outside the party is perhaps this game's biggest flaw. Second-biggest is not having any easy way to move the characters into your party.

I've been wondering about this. What's the reserve party section for? Can you stuff four people in there after you have a full team and get them levels passively?

Mupod

I generally just do elma+lin and cycle out the last spot. When I do my marathon exploration I maybe bring 2 low levels, Elma is a permanent fixture. It seems like characters catch up fairly fast if they are very far behind.

There's exp boost augments you can look into, but I always leave those on my main character.

Venfayth

Damn, guess I'll have to switch to curator and then go to

*spoiler is a location with lots of blue crystals, someone linked it to me and I don't know how common knowledge it is.

R00bot

Chapter 5 spoilers:

Holy shit that twist, I legitimately never saw it coming and it actually shocked me. One of my favourite twists in a game, despite being very cliche anime-y. Makes the whole search for the lifehold thing actually mean stuff. Also I like the alien ship.
This game just keeps delivering. It's easily my GoTY unless they majorly screw up the rest of the game from this point on.

I've been wondering about this. What's the reserve party section for? Can you stuff four people in there after you have a full team and get them levels passively?

Nope, it's pretty baffling that the reserve party window exists at all. It doesn't seem to have any purpose other than to have a person in it that the game is saying you have to add, or to move someone into when you're dismissing them.

Chapter 5 spoilers:

Holy shit that twist, I legitimately never saw it coming and it actually shocked me. One of my favourite twists in a game, despite being very cliche anime-y. Makes the whole search for the lifehold thing actually mean stuff. Also I like the alien ship.
This game just keeps delivering. It's easily my GoTY unless they majorly screw up the rest of the game from this point on.

Chapter 5 is the one I just finished and I am glad the story has finally picked up. It feels worthy of the Xeno name.

CHAPTER 5 SPOILERS:
For me the bigger reveal was the fact that they actually acknowledged the lack fo a language barrier between all the alien races. I thought I was dealing with a "lol video games" situation and now it's actually a plot point.

It's sitting as my GOTY too.

Even from the start of the game, there are some word choices that indicate this twist. Even without the spoilers, I kinda guessed.

I didn't guess but I immediately though back to some of the stuff said earlier in the game and was like... "oh fuck, that makes complete sense!"

ameleco

Been reading the xenoblade wiki and noticed this.

A few Basic Missions that guide the party to specific Story, Affinity, or Normal Missions may be missed if the corresponding mission is started without the Basic Mission, but these have no rewards and do not count towards completion percent (they are, however, logged in the completed mission log).

Is there a list anywhere that shows which these are?

Venfayth

My biggest gripes so far, which I'm pretty sure I've stated elsewhere in the thread, are that the camera fucking SUCKS when it zooms in and forces you to a slower camera speed, and also that there are no audio settings. Please let me mute bgm, or voices, or either. No reason this shouldn't be in the game.

I'm pretty in love with the game overall, though, so don't let me get you down. This also seems to be stuff they could fix with a patch ?

Haunted

Literally the first thing I bought was a full face helmet for Lin so I don't have to look at her creepy real doll face anymore.

I don't think I've really figured out a good rhythm/route to the game, the probe mechanic seems intense and there are about a dozen sidequests I have no idea where to go for. I also don't think I've really taken a liking to the combat so far, I sometimes feel like I'm not doing a ton? Like, my impact on the enemy's HP (as a Melee-focused Striker with a Longsword) always seems kinda negligible until I get to like the third use of my melee art, which means a lot of waiting and sitting around while staying in position.

But the environments are absolutely beautiful. The scale is unbelievably huge, which I absolutely love and exploring the map outside in the wilderness while marveling at the monster design is a lot of fun.

Hellers

My plan for tonight is to get Hope and then use her as my perma fourth. After that all four of them are going to level 30 so I can start buying more sweet sexy Skells.

Currently I'm at 26, Elma and Lin are at 27 and I have Lao at 28. Going to swap him out for Hope.

Venfayth

My plan for tonight is to get Hope and then use her as my perma fourth. After that all four of them are going to level 30 so I can start buying more sweet sexy Skells.

Currently I'm at 26, Elma and Lin are at 27 and I have Lao at 28. Going to swap him out for Hope.

How do you unlock her?

aravuus

CHAPTER 5 SPOILERS:
For me the bigger reveal was the fact that they actually acknowledged the lack fo a language barrier between all the alien races. I thought I was dealing with a "lol video games" situation and now it's actually a plot point.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool. Hope they come back to it in the story.

The twist was super predictable tho

R00bot

Chapter 5 is the one I just finished and I am glad the story has finally picked up. It feels worthy of the Xeno name.

CHAPTER 5 SPOILERS:

It's sitting as my GOTY too.

I didn't guess but I immediately though back to some of the stuff said earlier in the game and was like... "oh fuck, that makes complete sense!"

Yeah, that was interesting too, although I kinda thought
they must have all just studied the language or something, but I guess that was stupid because Tatsu.

Really, really good game. I just want to get back to it right now, even though it's 12:31 in the morning in Australia lol.

Mupod

My biggest gripes so far, which I'm pretty sure I've stated elsewhere in the thread, are that the camera fucking SUCKS when it zooms in and forces you to a slower camera speed, and also that there are no audio settings. Please let me mute bgm, or voices, or either. No reason this shouldn't be in the game.

I'm pretty in love with the game overall, though, so don't let me get you down. This also seems to be stuff they could fix with a patch ?

I'm not going to hold my breath for a patch considering the game's already been out in Japan for a long-ass time, but maybe we'll complain louder.

The main gripe I have is music volume during cutscenes. It's crazy. Come to think of it the previous game had some volume issues too, specifically boss voices during battles.

After buying it and putting in some serious hours, I have to say it feels like an evolution of PSO somehow. The aesthetics are very similar, the sense of exploration is also similar, the feel of the world, weapon design also. If it had 4 player co-op where you went out rare hunting it would be the icing on the cake.

Ive been looking for a PSO-like game for years now, and this is the closest ive come to finding one, and from what I've seen so far I will play this for months and months like I did with PSO back in the DC/GC days. Awesome game, buy it!

it reminds me of PSO aesthetically and in terms of the setting somewhat but it's nothing alike gameplay-wise. In regards to basic game structure, Monster Hunter has replaced PSO pretty well for me although the recent entries don't have the cool PSO-like server lobbies anymore.

R00bot

Nope, it's pretty baffling that the reserve party window exists at all. It doesn't seem to have any purpose other than to have a person in it that the game is saying you have to add, or to move someone into when you're dismissing them.

I think it just exists to make it easier to shuffle party members around, say, if a mission wanted you to add two or three members.

aravuus

Damn, guess I'll have to switch to curator and then go to

*spoiler is a location with lots of blue crystals, someone linked it to me and I don't know how common knowledge it is.

GG, doesn't even show where it is on the map. You got a pic or something?

e: is it the easternmost probe?

Yushi

I'm so happy I manage to beat chapter 6 without reducing difficulty (5th try after changing some arts, skills,etc)! With only 3 characters too! Fucking Leo kept on dying. And I was 1 level lower than the boss.

I think you gain more rewards if you do not lower the difficulty, but I have nothing to confirm it, my friends didnt really take notice of the rewards.

aravuus

I'm so happy I manage to beat chapter 6 without reducing difficulty (5th try after changing some arts, skills,etc)! With only 3 characters too! Fucking Leo kept on dying. And I was 1 level lower than the boss.

I think you gain more rewards if you do not lower the difficulty, but I have nothing to confirm it, my friends didnt really take notice of the rewards.

Lowering difficulty supposedly has no effect on any of the rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom