• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos17

So, does it strike anyone else as a really poor design decision to force the same two characters on almost all of the story missions?

There's 15 characters to choose from for your party! Oh, and you only have one spot most of the time.

=(

Yes, ofc Monolith could've not make them 2 perma members (I played western rpgs too) but look at the other thread where everyone was happy that the Dev said he might go back to a game like Xeno 1 in term of story. That mean that people are totally okay and even desire perma teamates and pre-made hero.

syoaran

Got to say - Normal missions are way better once they start chaining off each other.

Minor spoilers after Chapter 6 and after you start a question chain in the residential district:

The water plant quest line is pretty awesome so far. I love how NPCs are now moving about and moving out of NLA, building the plant, setting it up, then the religion questline moves in on this and now I've just found out the plant has gone offline and a new type of team-crushing mob has taken over [seriously - that encounter is so badly designed -I keep falling in the water].

The world is constantly moving, further removing me from my static comments I made after day1. Sunk 36hrs now and got my Skell - and exploration is still so much fun!

Venfayth

How much does reducing the difficulty of boss battles lower the level of said boss anyway?

5 levels

Got to say - Normal missions are way better once they start chaining off each other.

Minor spoilers after Chapter 6 and after you start a question chain in the residential district:

The water plant quest line is pretty awesome so far. I love how NPCs are now moving about and moving out of NLA, building the plant, setting it up, then the religion questline moves in on this and now I've just found out the plant has gone offline and a new type of team-crushing mob has taken over [seriously - that encounter is so badly designed -I keep falling in the water].

The world is constantly moving, further removing me from my static comments I made after day1. Sunk 36hrs now and got my Skell - and exploration is still so much fun!

I just finished that questline this morning and loved it. Great quests.

Jolkien

I think my biggest problem is the cooldown are so long in this game I spend such a long time doing... absolutely nothing, I'm not sure if it's only my class (I'm a Galactic Knight) but I was using Arts much more often in Xenoblade 1.

All of my equipped Arts are level 3

aravuus

A little but at same time not.
People were already mad that it isn't the same as first Xeno where you've a perma same team with a pre-made Mc.
So I think Monolith cut the apple in 2 here.

Elma and Lin will maintain a red thread/link that player can follow easely during the game si he won't feel loss. So less rant about : "this game is not enough story focused it sucks!" (imo)

Yes, ofc Monolith could've not make them 2 perma members (I played western rpgs too) but look at the other thread where everyone was happy that the Dev said he might go back to a game like Xeno 1 in term of story. That mean for mean that people are totally okay and even desire perma teamates.

But these have nothing to do with them being permanent battle party members. You can play as different characters in XB, while everyone else is still present in cut scenes etc, being able to customize your battle party has nothing to do with story telling or cutscenes

Like I said, even more hilariously, the game has traveling non-battle companions. Make Elma and Lin part of that group if the player wants to have a different battle party!

Yes, ofc Monolith could've not make them 2 perma members (I played western rpgs too) but look at the other thread where everyone was happy that the Dev said he might go back to a game like Xeno 1 in term of story. That mean for mean that people are totally okay and even desire perma teamates.

People like permanent teammates but forcing two characters to be in your party at all times is an entirely different story. It's like if Xenoblade made you use Shulk and Reyn for all story missions, it limits your options and is not fun.

And yeah technically you can remove Elma and Lin but why would you bother when you'd have to put them in again for every major mission?

Qurupeke

I beat Hephaustus the Asconder(or something named like that). A HUGE electric manta ray, 25 level, Gold Crown. Solo, without a party. Without a mecha. With full health.

I was with the Skell and a team at first, I thought I coud take it down, but the monster took down my teammates in like 30 seconds and the mecha took 1/8 of its health and got destroyed really fast. I say, that's it, time to die. Then, for some reason, apparently I had some skill, not sure which one, that gave me an immunity on electricity. Basically, every attack it did, was 1HP of damage. It took 2 day ccles to beat it. Holy shit. Still, not sure what I had that gave me this immunity. I did like 10 overdrives.

Edit: Armor had Electric Res 100. Not sure if this is the reason.

5 levels

I just finished that questline this morning and loved it. Great quests.

hmm so it's a longer quest chain huh... btw did
Malyteth be able to survived or both options when cornering her(?) will led to her demise?

Hellers

Huh. How did you know it was weak to ether, is there anything in game that suggests that?

I looked it up in the guide. I wouldn't be surprised if it lists the weaknesses in the monster part of the intel menu after you've encountered them once but I haven't looked.

It's surprising how many things are very resistant to physical. Given all the variety you'd have thought it'd be easier to switch weapons.

Chaos17

People like permanent teammates but forcing two characters to be in your party at all times is an entirely different story. It's like if Xenoblade made you use Shulk and Reyn for all story missions, it limits your options and is not fun.

And yeah technically you can remove Elma and Lin but why would you bother when you'd have to put them in again for every major mission?

It's the same for me.
Elma and Lin are the red thread that link everything together so people won't feel loss.
Just like Solas is the red thread of Dragon Age Inquisition.
Monolith just cut the pie in 2.

Giving us a semi perma team and take whoever we want.

Edit : personaly, I hope we won't have a pre-made hero in next game. I like be able to create my own hero.
I know that Monolith is playing different rpgs (western too) for research purpose so I hope he will be able to find a good comprise.

chadboban

I think my biggest problem is the cooldown are so long in this game I spend such a long time doing... absolutely nothing, I'm not sure if it's only my class (I'm a Galactic Knight) but I was using Arts much more often in Xenoblade 1.

I read somewhere in this thread that melee weapon and ranged weapon autoattack cooldowns are separate so while firing a ranged shot your melee weapon is simultaneously cooling down.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but my purchase probably hinges on this. Am I going to spend half my time casting a spell so my other party members can damage enemies, as in the previous entry?

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but my purchase probably hinges on this. Am I going to spend half my time casting a spell so my other party members can damage enemies, as in the previous entry?

I don't even know what this question means. That wasn't a thing in the original at all.

Nope, no Monado stuff in this game

Oh that. Was that really that big of a deal for you? By the time you're fighting loads of mechon you can get anti-mechon weapons.

I don't even know what this question means. That wasn't a thing in the original at all.
He's talking about the enchant spell of the Monado so teammates can damage mechon, which was only really a problem at the start of the game(you could buy anti-mechon weapons later and most enemies aren't mechon).

jwj442

You only needed Monado Enchant for the early game in Xenoblade. Once you get out of the Ether Mines, you'll be fighting almost no Mechon for a long time, and when you finally do start fighting them again every character will have anti-Mechon weapons available.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I beat Hephaustus the Asconder(or something named like that). A HUGE electric manta ray, 25 level, Gold Crown. Solo, without a party. Without a mecha. With full health.

I was with the Skell and a team at first, I thought I coud take it down, but the monster took down my teammates in like 30 seconds and the mecha took 1/8 of its health and got destroyed really fast. I say, that's it, time to die. Then, for some reason, apparently I had some skill, not sure which one, that gave me an immunity on electricity. Basically, every attack it did, was 1HP of damage. It took 2 day ccles to beat it. Holy shit. Still, not sure what I had that gave me this immunity. I did like 10 overdrives.

Edit: Armor had Electric Res 100. Not sure if this is the reason.
Ugh, I still haven't beaten him.

You only needed Monado Enchant for the early game in Xenoblade. Once you get out of the Ether Mines, you'll be fighting almost no Mechon for a long time, and when you finally do start fighting them again every character will have anti-Mechon weapons available.

Haha. I stopped right before the ether mines I think. I'd just been through the second town? Still have it. Maybe I'll pick it back up.

Kjellson

Here's a stupid thing that bothers me: I did some side quest involving the water thing in Bianho Lake yesterday and the quest exclusive enemies didn't show up on my Enemy Index. Did they forget to add those or something? Lol.

Venfayth

Here's a stupid thing that bothers me: I did some side quest involving the water thing in Bianho Lake yesterday and the quest exclusive enemies didn't show up on my Enemy Index. Did they forget to add those or something? Lol.

:X I haven't even looked at that yet. Is there any useful information in there?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ok, going by the reactions, I need to finish Chapter 4 and 5 tonight. Luckily tomorrow is a holiday here, so I can afford the sleep deprivation.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
How do you apply gems you've crafted to armor/weapons?

Also, is it me or is the weapon/armor crafting odd? Granted I just got done with Ch. 4 but whenever I go to look at what's available to craft it's all greyed out with nearly all of the required parts missing.

Venfayth

How do you apply gems you've crafted to armor/weapons?

Also, is it me or is the weapon/armor crafting odd? Granted I just got done with Ch. 4 but whenever I go to look at what's available to craft it's all greyed out with nearly all of the required parts missing.

They need to have an open slot for an augment. And yeah, I had to look up a guide on how to get the materials

Doing my skell License exam now. Had a bunch of the tasks completed beforehand and one collectible mission mostly done. Can't wait for my mech! I even have money to buy more once I get to level 30

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Is it me or the game loads really fast? Kinda impressed considering the game world is so huge. I just finished chapter 7, the boss stood no chance against my Skell :x

Seems like there are still some good twists in the story. Finished chapter 4 yesterday and looking foreward for what happens now on chapter 5. ^_^

Makonero

The best thing about the Chapter 5
twist is that it suddenly makes sense why no one is grieving for all the dead and everyone treats death so cavalierly. When Lin said to just let those guys die because of their beef with Irina, I was kinda taken aback. I mean, there aren't a lot of humans left! But suddenly that attitude makes more sense.

k1t4j

Man I m 15h in and level 16 and only now I finished the 3rd chapter.

I have the bases classes at 10 and I tried the next 2 classes in each tree and I can't decide which one I want to stick with for a while and level up.

I have an absurd amount of Battle points to level the arts but I can't decide.... ahaha..

So many things I still don't understand, first game that makes me consider buying a guide for to be honest.

aravuus

Has anyone tried grinding affinity by doing the generic quests? Any idea how many quests I gotta do to get one full heart? Want to do Hope's affinity quest, but I need 2 hearts with her

Probably your class, I think Galactic Knight arts hit harder and cooldown longer than most other classes, but I imagine you can eventually get them going way faster with Overdrive, and proper combos.

Dad

I can't start Elma's 2 star Heart-to-Heart, and all I have to go off is the game mysteriously listing "Pet: Cat" in the description

verbatimo

I've been watching few streams and I finally gave up.

Just ordered WiiU Premium Pack with MK8, Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

It should arrive in a few days.

Kinsei

Banned
Done with chapter 5! I'm now one step closer to getting my first skell.

I just found out there's a limit on how many quests you can have active at one time. That's dumb.

twist is that it suddenly makes sense why no one is grieving for all the dead and everyone treats death so cavalierly. When Lin said to just let those guys die because of their beef with Irina, I was kinda taken aback. I mean, there aren't a lot of humans left! But suddenly that attitude makes more sense.

And right after that you find a woman grieving for her husband that was "killed" out on the job.

Yushi

Has anyone tried grinding affinity by doing the generic quests? Any idea how many quests I gotta do to get one full heart? Want to do Hope's affinity quest, but I need 2 hearts with her

i've been grinding mostly with a few quest. It seems that they gain a lot of affinity when they are "catching up" to you're level. I used Leo for chapter 6 and grinded a little bit. Got to 1 heart quickly.

It also answered a question an earlier comment gave me when vandham said
they Wouldn't be there talking if the core had already been destroyed, which didn't make sense to me at first

Raven77

Okay, I keep going back and forth on getting this game. I could explain below the kind of games I like, etc. and those who have sunk some hours into it make a judgement on whether I would like it. - EDIT - sorry for the giant list...

- I have about 2-3 hours to play each night throughout the week and around 3-4 per night on weekend nights. (probably 20 hours per week total)

- I loved Phantasy Star Online, played a lot of World of Warcraft and enjoyed it. Love the Elder Scrolls games, Rockstar games, Grandia 2, FF9 but don't play a lot of JRPG's these days.

- I love open world games of all kinds as long as what you DO in the world is fun and it keeps your attention.

- I LOVE exploration, finding hidden things, getting places I shouldn't go, but I always want to feel like I am at least accomplishing something.

- I hate grindy games, I don't have or want to spend hours grinding battles.

- I love RPG's but good combat and the world are critical. I typically go into every game expecting the story to be average at best so it's usually not a big factor for me.

- I have patience, I do not have ADD, and I love feeling like i've earned things in games.

- I DO plan to take advantage of the multiplayer to some extent and have read all about it.

- I love games with tons of loot, rare loot, stuff to find, etc.

You guys think this is for me or should I pass / wait for a sale?

Venfayth

For people who have the guide, is it worth it? Does the physical version have any more info than the e-guide?

Also, google is fucking creepy.

LAMTn5y.png

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I really hate this. Need to increase Lao's affinity to 1.

Could someone explain exactly what combos are in this?

I have an art that boosts damage when triggering a melee combo but I'm not sure if I'm doing a melee combo.

I have two arts that I think make a combo, one puts aggro on me and the other does more damage when enemies are targeting me, is this a melee combo or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom