• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarovitch

Ninjablade is still on his dynamics light quest lol.

I like the game so far. I'm not sure which division is the best for me yet, i use pathfinders for the moment. Like others said i would like sound option to make music less loud. Can't wait to continue.

Venfayth

Man.. What level were you to beat that thing without lowering difficulty? My team just keeps getting hit by big AOE attacks and I don't know what I'm supposed to do in that situation. I repeatedly lost without even getting him to half health before lowering difficulty.

I'm so happy I manage to beat chapter 6 without reducing difficulty (5th try after changing some arts, skills,etc)! With only 3 characters too! Fucking Leo kept on dying. And I was 1 level lower than the boss.

I think you gain more rewards if you do not lower the difficulty, but I have nothing to confirm it, my friends didnt really take notice of the rewards.

That boss is dumb, 1shot swipe combo on anything but a tank niceeee

aravuus

In the bottom left of the start of the video it tells you the number of the probe. It's near the southern edge of that zone IIRC.

Oh, the big 317 there? Didn't realize, thanks!

I've gone through the southern area and only found 314, so I guess I should look around some more. Unless you need a flying skell to get there...

Venfayth

Oh, the big 317 there? Didn't realize, thanks!

I've gone through the southern area and only found 314, so I guess I should look around some more. Unless you need a flying skell to get there...

Definitely don't need a Skell. I used the cave for one of the license certifications.

Yushi

Man.. What level were you to beat that thing without lowering difficulty? My team just keeps getting hit by big AOE attacks and I don't know what I'm supposed to do in that situation. I repeatedly lost without even getting him to half health before lowering difficulty.

I stayed behind the boss as much as I could. Which made the AI of Elma and Leo to be on his side while Lin faced him. So they mostly dodged the frontal AoE. Kept staggering him with breaking both back legs + tails. Then Overdrive to break the front, had lin with an extra 5 second of topple, so he was down for a long time everytime.

Venfayth

I stayed behind the boss as much as I could. Which made the AI of Elma and Leo to be on his side while Lin faced him. So they mostly dodged the frontal AoE. Kept staggering him with breaking both back legs + tails. Then Overdrive to break the front, had lin with an extra 5 second of topple, so he was down for a long time everytime.

Huh. Definitely more strategy than I was aware of. How do you break specific limbs, you just stand near them?

I know you can change appearance after certain point in the game, but Can I change Name?

IIRC this is the thing you cannot change, but I'm not 100% sure myself.

Spoilers for one of the tyrants:
So I was swimming to Sylvalum for a quest because I don't have my skell yet and I notice this thing in the distance getting bigger and bigger. I stop swimming to watch it and I realize a giant whale is soaring towards me in the sky, called the Drifting Cloud.

Yeah, I like this game.

Chaos17

Is there a list somewhere where I can see the location of everyone I can add to party?

And is there a way to manually set a location as goal outside of a mission?

Both things would make playing a bit easier for me right now

Wiki is your friend : http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Irina

I'm so happy I manage to beat chapter 6 without reducing difficulty (5th try after changing some arts, skills,etc)! With only 3 characters too! Fucking Leo kept on dying. And I was 1 level lower than the boss.

I think you gain more rewards if you do not lower the difficulty, but I have nothing to confirm it, my friends didnt really take notice of the rewards.

Roomate said that boss was piece of cake for him, he just took his time to gear well his allies.
He was evenable to save to1M and buy directly 2 skells.
So yeah, people take your time too.

Man, Pathfinders was a poor division choice. Sounded cool, didn't realize it was a multiplayer thing at first. Just no way it can compete. Changing division apparently cost money depending on their ranking, but I have money out of my ass because i do spend a shitload of time exploring and planting probes. Gear all seems so crap I literally have nothing to spend it on until my team is high enough level for skells.

Yushi

Huh. Definitely more strategy than I was aware of. How do you break specific limbs, you just stand near them?

Yes your positioning also allows you to target specific body parts, as shown by the round marker. Very much like Monster Hunter. If you break some parts ( like the tail) you have a chance to get an increase drop from that specific body part.

Very useful for crafting. (will most likely be needed for end-game crafting)

Man, Pathfinders was a poor division choice. Sounded cool, didn't realize it was a multiplayer thing at first. Just no way it can compete. Changing division apparently cost money depending on their ranking, but I have money out of my ass because i do spend a shitload of time exploring and planting probes. Gear all seems so crap I literally have nothing to spend it on until my team is high enough level for skells.
I'm a Pathfinder too, isn't it based around planting those machines in the ground?

Mupod

I've been pumping all my miranium into random AMs and when you max one out, it turns all their shop gear into yellow rarity/quality. I was too cheap to upgrade my gear until now but I figure I just hit 25 and I'm rich anyways.

It feels like the real boost you get is by crafting good augments. Just with common on-hand materials I was able to make two +1700 TP gems. That's...going to be useful.

I'm a Pathfinder too, isn't it based around planting those machines in the ground?

Scouting all of Sandy Bum Canyon as a Pathfinder didn't really get me any more than if I'd been in Harriers and bumped off a few random Tyrants. I'll probably still switch back for my next exploration binge though.

nikos

Finally creating a character. Without spoiling anything, are there any romance or relationship elements in the game? Trying to decide on gender.

We are second to last only behind mediators. We're based off of exploration and planting probes. But interceptor and harriers are top spots evasive they're based off of killing things, which clearly people are going to do more of. Assuming things are scaled by number of people in the division or its an even spread, those seem like the best bets basically forever. There might be a pathfinder spike as everyone gets their skells but I doubt it still last that long.

Only thing keeping me from changing is is that I just did a pathfinder quest. Not sure if there are more and whether there is a line specific to each division.

Mupod

If you change divisions do you lose your BLADE rank?

Cool, thanks :) I've done a few there related to a water purification plant but I don't think I've seen her.

your BLADE rank is independent of what division you're in. I switch based on what I'm doing but I basically just toggle between Harriers/Pathfinders.

mindsale

This game is so tonally dissonant.

It's got some of the grandest, most beautiful music (see: Sylvanum) and some of the absolute worst (see: everywhere else).

Dozens of hours in and I can barely keep my eyes open at work.

Raide

This game is so tonally dissonant.

It's got some of the grandest, most beautiful music (see: Sylvanum) and some of the absolute worst (see: everywhere else).

Dozens of hours in and I can barely keep my eyes open at work.

Agreed.

I am still totally split on collecting blue floating crystals instead of having those items as part of the world.

I personally feel they could have cut down the massive size of the world in favour of fleshing the exploration and detail out more.

2 more to go (or 3 since need to replace the starting skell)
20151207134241.jpg
also... is there a way to check which skell skills that come with the equipment without buying & equiping it first?

mindsale

Agreed.

I am still totally split on collecting blue floating crystals instead of having those items as part of the world.

I personally feel they could have cut down the massive size of the world in favour of fleshing the exploration and detail out more.

The scale definitely works both for and against it. It's beautiful to see a sweeping mountain covering the horizon. It's a chore when you can't get to a checkpoint somewhere behind it.

yeah some sites are in caves, or even in places you wouldn't think of. There's one in the main area that I am standing right where it should be, look everywhere, look in the lower level and can't find it for the life of me. Until I looked up and realized there's a HUGE rocky/mountain formation that I could never reach outside of flying skells.
Okay that's helping me a lot bc I'm beginning to notice which areas on the map do not have a FNav set up

Venfayth

your BLADE rank is independent of what division you're in. I switch based on what I'm doing but I basically just toggle between Harriers/Pathfinders.

Awesome, thanks. Might switch to one of the leaders of multiplayer divisions, heh.

Mm, I think nothing else really does it this way, I'm glad it's this way. Even if you cut it back to the degree of something like Dragon Age: Inquisition, that's still way too time consuming. There's enough other things to do and see that I think both the scale and the way you pick up blue crystals is totally merited. I just wish it was obvious when the crystals you're picking up are going to give you different items than other crystals in the zone. Give them a different hue or something.

Raide

Awesome, thanks. Might switch to one of the leaders of multiplayer divisions, heh.

Mm, I think nothing else really does it this way, I'm glad it's this way. Even if you cut it back to the degree of something like Dragon Age: Inquisition, that's still way too time consuming. There's enough other things to do and see that I think both the scale and the way you pick up blue crystals is totally merited. I just wish it was obvious when the crystals you're picking up are going to give you different items than other crystals in the zone. Give them a different hue or something.

I think having the Crystals when you use the Skell makes perfect sense. Ideally they should have the crystals in a different colour/shape etc if its a quest item.

Or let players do some kind of wide area scan and what the object is appears over the top of them.

Neoweee

So, does it strike anyone else as a really poor design decision to force the same two characters on almost all of the story missions?

There's 15 characters to choose from for your party! Oh, and you only have one spot most of the time.

=(

Ulysses 31

How does Skell insurance and party members play out? Do they always leave the SKell in time? Do you have buy a new Skell after 3x they die?

Mupod

so if your max BLADE rank is 10 and you get 1 field skill upgrade per level, how does it make sense that there are items requiring level 5 field skills? I've found level 5 mechanical and biological so far in my travels. Doesn't seem 'in character' for this game to potentially lock you out of anything.

mrmickfran

I am absolutely engrossed into this game.

I spent the entirety of yesterday just exploring Primordia and Noctilum (Oblivia is currently nopeville for me right now).

I'm like 15 hours in and I just now started chapter 5 lol

Raide

So, does it strike anyone else as a really poor design decision to force the same two characters on almost all of the story missions?

There's 15 characters to choose from for your party! Oh, and you only have one spot most of the time.

=(

It is a little weird. I think they should have the two characters all the way through the Story and then let players carry on the world with whoever they want.

Gattsu25

Banned

=(
Elma is the main focus of the story, which is fine, so I understand taking her along but Lin seems to have taken a backseat for the annoying Tatsu. Most of the time that Lin even talks is in direct relation to Tatsu.

so if your max BLADE rank is 10 and you get 1 field skill upgrade per level, how does it make sense that there are items requiring level 5 field skills? I've found level 5 mechanical and biological so far in my travels. Doesn't seem 'in character' for this game to potentially lock you out of anything.

There are missions to unlock rank 5 stuff.

Literally the first thing I bought was a full face helmet for Lin so I don't have to look at her creepy real doll face anymore.

Wow. Why did I not think of this?! Brilliant. I'm going to do this ASAP. If there's one thing I actively hate about this game so far it is everything Lin. That single character essentially turned a fascinating world that I would love to share and show off to someone watching me play, into an embarrassment that I want no one to know I'm associated with.

Why can't I just mute voices...? Or just Lin's? Please? I can't remember the last time I cringed so hard playing a game. It doesn't help that there's about 5% of animation for the characters during cutscenes. It gives the whole thing the vibe of someone playing on a tabletop with dolls where they reach down and twist them 90 degrees to face the direction of interest.

Rant over...I can't wait to get back to this game as it's just finally starting to open up. I'm mostly here for the exploration and discovery elements. Hell I don't even mind grinding as much as most people.

aravuus

=(

Absolutely. While I am a single party sort of guy, story forcing the party is stupid. We have that Nopon cunt running with us already without fighting, make Elma and Lin like him if the player wants to use other characters.

Venfayth

I was really expecting Lin to be awful, her face is really dumb. But besides her face and a few strange characterizations, I actually think she's not half bad. Her VA and writing could be a LOT worse.

Hellers

There's a difficulty setting?

ys45

Played all week-end Finished chapter 4 of the main story almost lvl 18 .
I'm close to 16 hours of game play .

What a great game ! And the more I play the more I like it .

The few things that annoy me are the no sound volume option in the game (seriously why???) and the font size which I hope it will be fixed ?
Also the vague directions of where stuff is for gathering missions is a pain in the butt I think I'm going to get the guide .

Hellers

It's weak to ether weapons. I stocked everyone up on ether guns and blades before I went in. Nearly lost two characters at the end but managed it.

Mupod

Eh, Lin is fine and I like her voice. Wasn't expecting much out of her though.

Tatsu needs to fuck off. Riki was surprisingly alright for a cutesy mascot character but Tatsu is just annoying.

There's a few really interesting characters so far that I feel could use more screen time in cutscenes at least. One of the early party members you get has some pretty hilarious dialogue in and out of battles, 8-4 obviously had fun with him.

Game asks you if you want to lower "boss" difficulty if you've died like 3 times in a row. Only affects the enemy you are currently up against.

This might be one of the most revolutionary features for me in RPGs. I am not sure whether or not other games have had it but it's good if you just want to get over the hump and continue with the story.

So many times I have been stuck frustrated in an RPG due to an overwhelmingly difficult boss fight that requires a big grind and just said fuck it and put the game on the shelf. This solves that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom