• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone have a good setup or suggestions of skills and arts to level up for the other party members? Elma/Lin/etc.?

I don't want to just be sitting on points and running around with weaker characters, but I also don't want to waste them on stuff that turns out to be worthless

anyone have a good setup or suggestions of skills and arts to level up for the other party members? Elma/Lin/etc.?

I don't want to just be sitting on points and running around with weaker characters, but I also don't want to waste them on stuff that turns out to be worthless

There is infinite bp in the game and apparently an easy quest to farm it in post game so don't be too worried.

Physical owners, does your Wii U disc drive get loud during the game while loading up textures and data packs?

I have all 3 installed I'm just curious if anyone else Wii U is loud. It is more so than Splatoon and Bayonetta.

Yep, my disc drive is spinning as crazy when I change the location via fast travel. NLA is the "worst". Even with the data packs it's not running perfect smooth and we all know about the horrible pop-ups.

I'm seconding this, with the caveat that I'm hoping somebody has put together a spreadsheet or web page with optimal (or semi-optimal) builds for ... everything.

After ~25 hours, I've reconciled myself with the fact that I'm never going to figure out this game's battle system.

Shun

Yep, my disc drive is spinning as crazy when I cha ge the location via fast travel. NLA is the "worst". Even with the data packs it's not running perfect smooth and we all know about the horrible pop-ups.

I wonder if digital performance is better. I really only got it physical because I thought it would be rarer later down the line.

Can't wait for Wii U homebrew to pull through.

aravuus

Lol I love the fact that none of the enemies in the chapter 11
fortress attack me cause I'm over 10 levels higher than them, even though the whole place is on full alert

Ozium

when do I get access to the other 2 dlc characters.. I encountered Boze and HB so far but no idea where the other two are at

brinstar

Oh man I got my first Skell and I am in heaven now.

Any suggestions for leveling party members who are falling behind? Wanna bring up L and H.B. for the heck of it but they're so far behind now. ;__;

Golnei

Alexa's recruitable as well...?

I don't mind the actual characters themselves, but they really are fairly generic designs, visually. Everyone in the first game was really distinct, whereas here I can barely tell Irina and Murderess apart. Some of it might have been a casualty of the universal class system and loss of character-specific armour, but they could have physically differentiated the party members a lot more regardless.

random25

Physical owners, does your Wii U disc drive get loud during the game while loading up textures and data packs?

I have all 3 installed I'm just curious if anyone else Wii U is loud. It is more so than Splatoon and Bayonetta.

Haven't experienced that. Though that maybe because I'm pretty far from the unit.

How do I change targets in battle? Lol.. I got the ability Brain jack and can't switch to another enemies when I pull kt off. I pressed everything!

Evilkazz

Banned
Any suggestions for leveling party members who are falling behind?

If you want to get party members up to at least lvl 30 really fast take them to the little island chain in far north primordia. There's a bunch of prone/purges that are easy to kill if you have a couple Skells.

All the enemies range from 31-37 (just ignore the monkeys).

Evilkazz

Banned
45 hours in and I have none of these characters Jesus Christ this game!

You most certainly need Frye in your life. Just look on the main quest board and accept all missions with a person's face on it, or ones that give no money (usually more important).

Others are unlocked via affinity quests.

How do I change targets in battle? Lol.. I got the ability Brain jack and can't switch to another enemies when I pull kt off. I pressed everything!
It's R+Y and R+A.

I have no idea why. 3rd person games have been rolling with the same (intuitive) targeting system since Ocarina of Time (including the first Xenoblade!), and they had to try to get clever with it for this one.

vareon

Can you change party members (outside of Elma and Lin) after you accepted a story mission? I wanted to bring L but he's kinda redundant with Lin...

And I can't check because I'm at work. This stupid game has taken over my mind.

It's R+Y and R+A.

I have no idea why. 3rd person games have been rolling with the same (intuitive) targeting system since Ocarina of Time (including the first Xenoblade!), and they had to try to get clever with it for this one.

You are a legend my friend! Yeah... sometimes some else creative vision makes you scratch your head and ask "why?".

Anyway this game is too damn good. My personal game of the years.

desu

Yes, drive is reading quite violently at some points, and when you go fast you have notable enemy popin which is rather annoying. Would love to know how digital vs physical compares in this scenario.

Ugh, the placid duogill is kicking my ass. Its AOE attack obliterates my party. How do you deal with AOE with your party ai? Just call all of them to you?

Voliko

I need to stop reading this thread... It's taunting me

The best thing I've seen is that the outfits in this game look 1000x better than those in the last game.

brinstar

If you want to get party members up to at least lvl 30 really fast take them to the little island chain in far north primordia. There's a bunch of prone/purges that are easy to kill if you have a couple Skells.

All the enemies range from 31-37 (just ignore the monkeys).
I'm not that high yet (only level 24 atm) but I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get to 30, thanks!

Yes... Loudest it has ever been.

That reminds me of the helicopter in Noctilum quest where you have to find a Spherical EM motor. I didn't come back to that quest for 30 or so hours because I went searching, forgot about the quest, found it and looked through my quest log to see what could be completed.

These days I happen to have the items on hand about 95% of the time since I do exploration of everything possible first. For basic quests, I pick ones that I have all the items and reap the rewards. For normal quests (so far just Primordia, Noctilum and Oblivia), I've explored so much that I can go right over to the necessary place and spend 2 minutes. I also just don't fill in Collectopedia until I have multiples (ie. recent normal quest where I only had one Kepha Folly to save someone's life).

I mapped and explored the entirety of North Noctilum looking for the Spherical EM motor. I eventually caved and looked it up, not only is it in a small area, it's in a small area with high-level enemies all over the place, not only that it's a *rare* drop. I will forever hate that Spherical EM motor. But my memories of exploring North Noctilum for the first time are tied to it and those are pretty great.

aravuus

Soooo (major chapter 11 spoilers and a Xenoblade spoiler too yo)
was Lao's entire motivation just "boohoo my family got killed and the picks were rigged"? Weak

Also oh god, not another one of these preachy-feeling "uuuhhh we can't kill him, he's still on our side, we'd be no better than baddies!!!!" scenes. Fuck off, if you come up with a villain that's ready to EXTERMINATE THE WHOLE HUMAN RACE just like that, don't make him give up just because some fucking 13-year old is too idealistic for her own good. That blade finger guy's death (can't remember his name lol) was the same in Xenoblade, I recall Shulk being so sickeningly, annoyingly idealistic perfect hero in that scene that from there on I just hated him. Pretty sure Xenosaga had this kind of a shit plot development too once or twice.

I mean, not everything has to be Berserk-level dark but for once, let me just murder the fucking bad guy, Takahashi.

Also WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TAKING LIN'S SIDE HERE, MC?! I was SO hoping for a prompt but nooooo, this is the one decision the character decides to do on his own.

e: welp, I guess everyone's on full on
"forgive and forget" mode. Hey no probs you tried killing us all, a spanking should be fine, just promise it won't happen again!!!!!

It's 4am but I think I'm gonna do chapter 12 right away

It's time.

bbwDFr9.jpg

yeah I started as a reclaimer becaues I liked the concept but we were always ranked 5th and like fuck that.. I looked at the rankings and there was very very little variation in the ranks from day to day..

changed to prospector

:/

The Outfitters will have their day. You'll see.

Junahu

@__@

I did not expect that
human are pretty much mechs
. took me by surprise.
I think it's beautiful that something as throwaway as the
character creation screen
has a genuine canonical explanation. It also explains a lot of the weird stuff, like how
you heal automatically after battle, or how you can't take fall damage
etc.

TDLink

Alexa's recruitable as well...?

I don't mind the actual characters themselves, but they really are fairly generic designs, visually. Everyone in the first game was really distinct, whereas here I can barely tell Irina and Murderess apart. Some of it might have been a casualty of the universal class system and loss of character-specific armour, but they could have physically differentiated the party members a lot more regardless.

This is my biggest complaint so far actually. Forcing the avatar to be able to be every class (or every character to be a class that the avatar can be) really makes all of the characters lose uniqueness. Some, like L, really don't make sense as any of the classes and should have been something else.

Additionally, almost all of the characters are generic humans. Yeah if you get to know them they all have stories and some are pretty good. But their designs are almost all generic as hell. There are so many cool aliens in this game, and other than L really you don't get to use any of them! It really sucks. All these races and all these party members and pretty much all of them are humans.

It's a real disappointment.

Ravijn

Ugh, the placid duogill is kicking my ass. Its AOE attack obliterates my party. How do you deal with AOE with your party ai? Just call all of them to you?

I remember that guy wrecking me with those pink AOE lasers. I'm pretty sure I destroyed one of the appendages that it would use to cast that spell. Try targeting different limbs.

Apologies if it's been answered already but what is the purpose of affinity quests? Are they there to flesh out the story? Do you need to finish them all to complete the game? If so how does that make them different from the main story quests?

They're there to give the character development, atmosphere and pacing that are missing if you just do the main story. I recommend doing all the affinity missions you can before you do the next story mission.

random25

Lock-on to the tentacles I think then you are hitting it press R+Up to have them concentrate fire on that part. Destroying it kinda make it stop doing that electric attack plus it drops a quest-related item.

Dee Dee

I finished chapter 5, and I concur: @_@

Also, this city is getting weirder each day.

Still haven't unlocked any additional characters after the main ones. I need to get cracking on those affinity quests it seems. (Story Missions are so cooool though, and things actually change after them)

How do I get the Skell goddammit??

Edit: I solved a quest with frozen pizza. I knew it! Now what do I do with the leftover quest items I did not need (burger + hot dog)?

aravuus

Hahaha,
Nagi
is wearing the fashion gear I gave him in the chapter 12 cutscene

http://i.imgur.com/9XCuLl1.jpg

Doesn't look
like a very important official
with that leather jacket and those sun glasses lmao

I think it's beautiful that something as throwaway as the
character creation screen
has a genuine canonical explanation. It also explains a lot of the weird stuff, like how
you heal automatically after battle, or how you can't take fall damage
etc.

I don't think it does, though.
I was talking about the mims before in this thread, about them feeling pain etc, and it's apparent the mims are practically identical to human bodies, except for the fact that they have pistons and whatever instead of muscle tissue. A fall from a high place would still kill them, and they still need to be repaired after taking damage.

The first point is true, though

brinstar

if you're trying to get that drop for that affinity quest, there's a level 10 variant of duogill in a cave you can get it from too. Just make sure to destroy the tentacles.

george_us

Lock-on to the tentacles I think then you are hitting it press R+Up to have them concentrate fire on that part Destroying it kinda make it stop doing that electric attack plus it drops a quest-related item.
Lock-on to the tentacles I think then you are hitting it press R+Up to have them concentrate fire on that part
press R+Up to have them concentrate fire on that part
WHAT

I remember that guy wrecking me with those pink AOE lasers. I'm pretty sure I destroyed one of the appendages that it would use to cast that spell. Try targeting different limbs.

Lock-on to the tentacles I think then you are hitting it press R+Up to have them concentrate fire on that part. Destroying it kinda make it stop doing that electric attack plus it drops a quest-related item.

if you're trying to get that drop for that affinity quest, there's a level 10 variant of duogill in a cave you can get it from too. Just make sure to destroy the tentacles.

Thanks! Finally took it down, barely killed its tentacle in time. Locking on kind of sucks in this game.

desu

Meh I think the endgame stuff is just not for me.

The grind required doesn't need to hide compared to popular MMOs. I think an endless grind for money, affinity and materials is not worth the ratio of like 95% grind to 5% meaningful content like extra story or fighting interesting bosses.

I'll ask again just in case someone recalls when the mission unlocked for them. But anyone know when Lakeside Getaway unlocks in the story/progression?

You need to do a quest called "Water Woes". Both can be found at the Water plant in the residential district.

I'm curious, which affinity mission needed that?

I did Water Woes and Rosie/the NPC in front of the water purifier plant hasn't unlocked the mission. So I can only assume there's more I gotta do/go further in the game.

And the mission is for murderess. Her affinity mission requires you do another mission called Haywire, but that only unlocks after you do all these other normal missions and progress so far in the story.

any newcomers to the genre here? Like this will be my first full blown console RPG or JRPG. can someone new to the genre and xenoblade give me impression and if you had a hard time learning how to play between the combat and everything else.

I'm going to make a thread about it after I beat the game but I hate jrpgs. Like I haven't found a single one that I like... Usually don't like the stories, and especially don't like the combat. However, I'm loving Xenoblade X and its the world. Its just so amazing to explore and is easily the best open world I've ever been in. It has major problems but the world keeps bringing me back and I've put in 20 hours with ease. Really good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom