• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

I was on the fence as the game doesn't have Japanese audio, but I decided that I'll go get Wii U and this game today.

I got the impression that digital version might be better? As in no screaming disc drive?

hoserx

I am on Chapter 3 and wanted to make a few comments on the game:

The Sawano music is horrid, as expected. Cliched, souless anime music that makes me feel I am playing Aldonoah Zero the videogame everytime. What a disgraceful downgrade from X Wii.

The missions are just as expected, monotonous and simplistic. I hope more High-Entia post drama missions are available later in the game. Still, who thought making missions, the worst part of Xeno Wii, the focus of the game was a great idea?

I can shake up this feeling that this gaming shortcomings are tied to Wii U's failure. Like, there's a similar philosophy behind their developments. Trying to appeal to an imaginary audience that just wasn't there.

And a good note, the game is extremely atmospheric and immersive, but it seems wasted with the generic, bare bones storyline.

I disagree with all of this but at least I said okay, this is an understandable opinion to have.... until I got to the bolded part. What?

jorgejjvr

The Sawano music is horrid, as expected. Cliched, souless anime music that makes me feel I am playing Aldonoah Zero the videogame everytime. What a disgraceful downgrade from X Wii.

The missions are just as expected, monotonous and simplistic. I hope more High-Entia post drama missions are available later in the game. Still, who thought making missions, the worst part of Xeno Wii, the focus of the game was a great idea?

I can shake up this feeling that this gaming shortcomings are tied to Wii U's failure. Like, there's a similar philosophy behind their developments. Trying to appeal to an imaginary audience that just wasn't there.

And a good note, the game is extremely atmospheric and immersive, but it seems wasted with the generic, bare bones storyline.
I happen to love everything you dislike

Opinions I guess

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also, is there a special GAF definition for "generic" outside all the dictionary ones. I see it used very often intended to be some kind of an insult or something, but that doesn't reflect any of its definitions. One might say it's a very generic word around here.

jorgejjvr

I was on the fence as the game doesn't have Japanese audio, but I decided that I'll go get Wii U and this game today.

I got the impression that digital version might be better? As in no screaming disc drive?
Going to be a great purchase!!!

The game is amazing

As for the second part, I'm not sure

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I disagree with all of this but at least I said okay, this is an understandable opinion to have.... until I got to the bolded part. What?

Keep in mind he's also judging the missions on the basic ones he's getting from the board, not the large number of vastly superior normal and affinity missions. Of course the bog standard collection missions are boring, they're just there to help you get money and affinity while you do all the other missions.

I was actually a little surprised at how much the music has grown on me. I still think the OST from Xenoblade Wii is *far* better overall, but there's definitely some good tracks in X.

Mendrox

Man your life gotta be horrible if you still try to give things a go even though you already know that you don't like them. Good that people have good tastes and confirm these with Xenoblade Chronicles X. Also get out of the tutorial and do not compare it to Xenoblade Chronicles. The setting is different, it is a different world etc.

And no the quests are not horrible - affinity quests are the nice meat in this game and they were good in Xenoblade Chronicles too (and made the game good).

Also your imaginary audience comment is bullshit as you can see with this thread.

NeonZ

There are some very developed side-quests, even outside of the Affinity ones, although they have no VA work (Affinity Quests have presentation on par with the main story missions though). There are exceptions, but generally if the sidequest starts by sending you to talk with someone (or it's one of the sidequests you get by talking with people, rather than the mission board) you'll get some kind of story scenario involved.

Focus on sidequest according to an interview came because this is their first HD title and they focused their budget on world building, which eventually led to the sidequest focus and mute avatar main character, since story sequences are generally the most expensive parts of JRPGs. Although I'll never get people who love the original Xenoblade for its story anyway...

Mupod

Do heals from ground characters work on Skells?

I tried to do some multiplayer stuff last night. Tried meaning I absolutely cannot figure out the rhyme or reason for what causes squad missions to appear. Sometimes there's 4-5, sometimes there's only that boss one which nobody ever joins for. Sometimes there's only 1, sometimes there's 4 but all are greyed out.

I've only ever seen an active squad mission once, and only once have I been recruited for one while running around in the field. Is shit just broken or what? The conquest squads I join are always full up.

Also, last night I saw a character named Shulk who looked like Shulk. With the Yuri Lowenthal voice.

doraemoe

So I mistakenly switch to easy difficulty when the game asked me if I want to, is there anyway to switch back? Can't find anything in the setting.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Post-chapter 3 opens up the game quite a bit, including introducing the affinity quests. Seems that may alter your perception.

Personally love the game shying away from cliche-ridden 'gaggle of kids go on a quest to save the world from dictatorial oppression/God' narrative redundancy. Discovery, exploration, and survival are thematically appropriate given the both the open-world design and narrative theme. Bummer that so many wish for more melodramatic drivel rather than give this new take a chance. There is an incredible amount of story in this game, yet too many are blinded by expectations to actually see it.

Xando

So how do i get better armor other than looting?
I've invested miranium in Sakuraba Arms to get to lvl 3 but they don't have any good armor for me?

massoluk

Banned
So much for bug-free, selling the game tomorrow XD
WVW69ipewJw88s0lQJ

Wiseblade

1) Chapter 3? You're barely out of the tutorial, are you sure you're comfortable making such definitive statements?

2) This is a game with heavy Sci-Fi elements that prominently features giant robots. The soundtrack was always going to sound a certain way.

3) Sawano gonna Sawano. I wouldn't call it bad, but he definitely has a sound that isn't necessarily to everyone's tastes.

4) The focus isn't supposed to be on the story. It's on navigating the giant environments, taking advantage of the landscape to avoid overwhelming encounters while you build your party up using the vast array of customisation options and come back to wreck face. It's about the journey from prey to predator and the struggles along the way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But I don't want to fight lower leveled enemy, it seems like I'm bully it :(

I don't think you can switch back the difficulty now. That prompt is triggered after you die several times fighting it, so the enemy rather bullied you before, it should be even.

thumb

Banned
Also, is there a special GAF definition for "generic" outside all the dictionary ones. I see it used very often intended to be some kind of an insult or something, but that doesn't reflect any of its definitions. One might say it's a very generic word around here.

Used around here, it means "typical" or "very common" in a way that is unwelcome and too familiar.

Sorry for the obvious question, but whats the point of ground gears and classes once you get the skells?
Places you can't fit skells. Honor. More fun imo. I think someone mentioned you can make ground attacks more powerful than Skell as well. Might make sense since they cap out at 60 iirc and player level may be a bit higher (don't actually know).

Jolkien

Places you can't fit skells. Honor. More fun imo. I think someone mentioned you can make ground attacks more powerful than Skell as well. Might make sense since they cap out at 60 iirc and player level may be a bit higher (don't actually know).

Skells don't level up. The game level cap is 60.

Ridley327

Sorry for the obvious question, but whats the point of ground gears and classes once you get the skells?

There are actual areas where it's impossible to get a Skell into (mainly caves, but there are some buildings, too), and the penalty for dying on foot isn't anywhere close to as severe as losing your Skell. Honestly, with where I'm at in the game, my party is doing much more damage in terms of overall output than I am in my Skell, despite having a buster sword, and I often find myself being more of a support for binds than I am concentrated on doing raw damage.

Waikis

You don't always fight in your skells. They are big and don't fit everywhere and fighting in them burns fuel.

But most of the time (say 80%?) we will now be fighting in skells right?

About fuel, do you really ever run out of fuels? I get the bind command every other fight and that seems to top up my fuel back to 90%-100%.

Edit: alright thanks for the answer guys, I kinda like ground battle and miss all that when I got the skells. Glad to hear ground fightd are still viable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Used around here, it means "typical" or "very common" in a way that is unwelcome and too familiar.

While this might be true for movies, there aren't that many games that focus on the survival of the humanity on another planet after Earth's destruction. Or if there are I would like to play those games with this very common theme.

ksamedi

Man the music in this game is so good.

My only negative about the music is the cutscene music that is used sometime. You cant hear the characters talk when some sections hit.

For the rest though, its really good stuff. Better then Xenoblade Wii.

Chapter 3? You haven't even done anything yet :/

If there is one extremely valid complaint about this game its that it doesn't do a good job of organically explaining shit to you.

Upgrading your mechnical field skill is super important. Shouldnt that be made obvious? A player shouldn't in a game about exporation wander all the way to an explore point just to be told "yo not high enough level" without any indication that is even a thing. By the time you reaxh your first locked explore point its very possible you havent invested in mechanixal yet and even worse its very possible the player may not even know how to boost it.

I really like this game but the streamlining and quality of play features are a major step back from Xenoblade 1.

Jolkien

About fuel, do you really ever run out of fuels? I get the bind command every other fight and that seems to top up my fuel back to 90%-100%.

Edit: alright thanks for the answer guys, I kinda like ground battle and miss all that when I got the skells. Glad to hear ground fightd are still viable.

Grinding in Skells depletes it quite fast. I fight more often on the ground than in my Skells, ground combat is much more fun. nothing beats flying around tho.

Depends. If you want to, you can usually fight in your skells. Not always. And yes, you can run out of fuel. I did yesterday. Flying also consumes fuel.

Chaos17

Edit : bare bone story line ?
Nope, that game has a lot of side quests to enhance the background of the main story.
Finish chapter 4 and you will began to access those affinity/normal quests.
Explanation here : https://fanofxenobladex.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/tips-2-how-to-dig-into-the-lore-and-characters/

Like others said, you're still at the begining.
I'm not playing this game 40+ hours if it was that shallow just because it's on Wii U

Advice : read the manual, read the OP and read us.
We'r all giving advices for beginners to have a good start.

Cob32

Anyone else finding the skell combat going stale? I don't think I'll be doing any endgame tyrant hunting if it's skell required. I'll just finish the game (which I've thoroughly enjoyed) and call it a day.

aravuus

Man your life gotta be horrible if you still try to give things a go even though you already know that you don't like them

Sounds like a pretty open-minded person to me, willing to give something a try they're skeptical about.

And having low expectations doesn't mean they know they're gonna hate it, I mean, I expected the same things as he did. OST was better, thankfully, and aside from the actual objectives being super repetitive and grindy in the missions, the little stories made them worth it

Zomba13

I know this can be said for most mascot characters, but seriously, this game would benefit tremendously from excising Tatsu entirely.

Tatsu is great. The annoying bit is Lin's "lol let's eat Tatsu guys. Guys, do you get it? Because he's funny looking. It's funny right? I'm funny yeah? pls respond". Lin is an ok character but the whole "lol Tatsu is food" just gets annoying. Like when you have that one friend who makes a funny joke once and then just falls back on it every single time you see him. Like, we get it. It was funny the first time.

Dee Dee

^^ That avatar cracked me up.

What is Fashion gear? Can I wear one gear but look like another?
I need that nose band aid back in my life!!

My boyfriend sat next to me on the couch late last night as I cruised through NLA: "What is it with this Lenny Kravitz music bullshit?"

It... was pretty hard to explain.

Jolkien

Is there a list of material needed to build the best skell somewhere ? I'm looking around and I can't find it. Only video I found showing it was in Japanese. I was start working towards it.

Mupod

You don't always fight in your skells. They are big and don't fit everywhere and fighting in them burns fuel.

they also don't seem to be able to target specific body parts on anything mid-sized or smaller. Which you frequently need to do for specific drops (breaking the head for Grex tongues for example).

I use the Xenogears rule - anything human-sized I fight on foot. For anything big I get in the Skell. Exploring is easier on foot sometimes as a lot of monsters only aggro Skells, and you don't lose anything if a level 60 monster one-shots you on foot. Honestly my Skells feel very OP right now and I hope it levels off a bit, Amdusias with a Buster basically one shotted the chapter 7 boss.

Sadly people in online missions don't give a shit and it's all robots all the time.

But yeah with the right setup you can do crazy damage with a ground character. I need more Overdrive time extension augments though.

The whole Lin and Tatsu humor potential dried up a few chapters ago for me.

But, I like the wackiness I get from putting weird characters on my team.

Do you guys think Alexa is good?

Is anyone else playing the Mastermind class? I'm just got Rank 1 in it and I'm feeling a little gimped currently. The buffs aren't all that great and my damage output is not really there. The debuffs seem pretty useful, but I'm so squishy and it takes a while to take down a group of monsters even at my own level.

Does the Mastermind class get stronger or should I try something fresh? BP seems like a very limited resource right now (lvl 20).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom