• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venfayth

Got my skell wrecked three times yesterday due to patrolling massive enemies. Twice it happened when I was in cockpit mode. Infuriating.

sugarless

^^ That avatar cracked me up.

What is Fashion gear? Can I wear one gear but look like another?
I need that nose band aid back in my life!!

Yes! Open the Ground Gear menu then choose a character. While on the screen that lets you set their gear, press X to open the sub-menu and you'll find the Fashion Gear option. Anything you set here is used for appearance only, with the stats coming from the real gear.

Use this in conjunction with the sub-menu option to set strongest gear and you can be sure that, even if the auto strongest gear is a visual mess of different armour pieces, the character can have a consistent look.

It's quite possible you turned off the control guide because you didn't need it on the main game screen but then are missing vital menu-based button prompts such as X for sub-menu, Y for upgrade and so on. This bugged me too and I wish the control guide on/off option only affected the main game screen because more info is welcome in menus but can get in the way of the gorgeous graphics in the game.

massoluk

Banned
Got my skell wrecked three times yesterday due to patrolling massive enemies. Twice it happened when I was in cockpit mode. Infuriating.

That happened to me way tooo many times. About to drop mobs i needed for mission, and came the patrolling big ass enemies. I just rage quit and reload previous save. Bad habit from Fire Emblem =X

definition of fail...
I selected a first video with youtube, after that i let youtube go freestyle choosing similar automatically the next one like always..
I was listening with one ear while doing some documents review at work..
At a certain point i hear some voice that seems "alike" to those i know, and I couldn't really catch in what games i heard it..
w/e i continued working..
then I hear the name of a few xenoblade u characters with someone screaming and revealing a major plot twist...
turns out i spoiled myself the ending of xenoblade u..
i am an idiot..

;_;

Is anyone else playing the Mastermind class? I'm just got Rank 1 in it and I'm feeling a little gimped currently. The buffs aren't all that great and my damage output is not really there. The debuffs seem pretty useful, but I'm so squishy and it takes a while to take down a group of monsters even at my own level.

Does the Mastermind class get stronger or should I try something fresh? BP seems like a very limited resource right now (lvl 20).
I got it to ten and jumped ship. Mostly used abilities from the class before it the whole time. I can think of times it would have been useful but not enough, especially if your aren't controlling party targets and have a lot of aoe. Might just not be my thing.

Anybody heard from Best Buy about that 7 button offer.

I assume they'll only send the coupon out 15 days after Xenoblade X's release but I wanted to check if anybody got anything yet.

I did get my pizza cash as soon as I picked up my order.

Yes! Open the Ground Gear menu then choose a character. While on the screen that lets you set their gear, press X to open the sub-menu and you'll find the Fashion Gear option. Anything you set here is used for apperance only, with the stats coming from the real gear.

Use this in conjuction with the sub-menu option to set strongest gear and you can be sure that, even if the auto strongest gear is a visual mess of different armour pieces, the character can have a consistent look.
This is actually pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip. (Now to dig up that old equipment...)

I got it to ten and jumped ship. Mostly used abilities from the class before it the whole time. I can think of times it would have been useful but not enough, especially if your aren't controlling party targets and have a lot of aoe. Might just not be my thing.

Yeah the Enforcer felt great but I'm not really feeling the Mastermind class. Would love to do some ranged damage but there doesn't seem to be a class thats particularly great at it.

gconsole

I am on Chapter 3 and wanted to make a few comments on the game:

The Sawano music is horrid, as expected. Cliched, souless anime music that makes me feel I am playing Aldonoah Zero the videogame everytime. What a disgraceful downgrade from X Wii.

The missions are just as expected, monotonous and simplistic. I hope more High-Entia post drama missions are available later in the game. Still, who thought making missions, the worst part of Xeno Wii, the focus of the game was a great idea?

I can shake up this feeling that this gaming shortcomings are tied to Wii U's failure. Like, there's a similar philosophy behind their developments. Trying to appeal to an imaginary audience that just wasn't there.

And a good note, the game is extremely atmospheric and immersive, but it seems wasted with the generic, bare bones storyline.

Good luck saying negative things in OP thread dude. You should give it a bit more time. The scale of this game is a lot bigger than the last one.

BTW, I quite agree with some points, especially the music. Sawano music just doesn't really suit videogames in general. World map is ok, but NLA .. seriously ? I mean you don't need to love the music just to show you love this game. It's one of the worst part of the game. And for what's it worth, lots of people buy this game coming from the first Xenoblade, which is quite different (apart from battle system and sense of world exploration). And the music in this game is just night and day compare to the first one. It's just plain bad.

aravuus

Good luck saying negative things in OP thread dude. You should give it a bit more time. The scale of this game is a lot bigger than the last one.

I've said a lot of negative things about the game and so have others! Aside from some random posts and posters, this has been a pretty good OT in the sense that it hasn't devolved into an echo chamber circlejerk. Real proud of y'all!

e: 275 posts, real interested in seeing if I'll end up being the biggest poster in this OT lol

sugarless

This is actually pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip. (Now to dig up that old equipment...)

You're welcome! This is how I can make my guy look like this without dying instantly in battle:

BTVbtSd.jpg

And it seems that so far for me quite a few side missions have had nice outfits as quest rewards (school uniform, commander's uniform etc.) that apply only to the torso in the gear list and don't let you set anything on limbs, so it lets you get some use out of these beyond the point where their stats are no longer enough for you.

Zomba13

Some of the music is really good, some of it not so good and some of it is great but almost spoiled by lyrics that are just nonsense and don't add anything.

The music in the first game on Wii was amazing though. 100% fantastic stuff. Engage the Enemy is so good.

The missions in this game though are pretty good. Yeah, some of the objectives are kinda grindy with get x amount of whatever or kill x amount of monster but the stories they tell are pretty interesting. Like the stuff at the water plant or the things with Alex or the Celeste Three. And the ones that bring new races and new missions to NLA. And the Afinity Missions offer more character development so they are good (and some give more recruitable characters).

sugarless

BTW, I quite agree with some points, especially the music. Sawano music just doesn't really suit videogames in general. World map is ok, but NLA .. seriously ? I mean you don't need to love the music just to show you love this game. It's one of the worst part of the game. And for what's it worth, lots of people buy this game coming from the first Xenoblade, which is quite different (apart from battle system and sense of world exploration). And the music in this game is just night and day compare to the first one. It's just plain bad.

I haven't played the first XBC on Wii but I love a lot of the music in this game. The title screen music is incredible, particularly when the chorus section kicks in at 1:12, and I like all the overworld music I've heard so far (the first three conjoined continents in daytime and night). However, playing music with lyrics over dialogue scenes in a game without music and dialogue volume adjustment options ranks as one of the worst design decisions I've encountered recently.

Ridley327

Damn the miracle water mission.

Damning criticism. Loved it.

I selected the bottom option at the end there to see how the Ma-non would respond, and I liked that he was level-headed enough to consider researching the possibility of deities, even if he's staunchly atheist all the same. Still, they did not hold back on that mission at all with that commentary.

Chaos17

Zzzzz.... don't jump to conclusion please about us here.... thanks.... Zzzzzzzzz
Also, music is like art, it's hit or miss.

We're here to help, newbies have difficulties to grasp the game, they just have to ask.

The music in this game is almost pure shit I agree. Most of the time if music is inoffensivethe game succeeded imo but this shit is grating. Not trying to get back into my anime phase Monolith. Really should have got Ace+ to do the soundtrack.

Anyone else finding the skell combat going stale? I don't think I'll be doing any endgame tyrant hunting if it's skell required. I'll just finish the game (which I've thoroughly enjoyed) and call it a day.

I've seen videos of players killing high level tyrants on foot, so it seems optional to use a skell once you are strong enough. I'm not close to endgame so I wouldn't know the setup.

kyle-777-

Finally finished Chapter 5 last night and wow, you didn't joke around that there is a big twist.

WTF at people who said there is no story in this game, that's a very nice twist and makes total sense. The whole survival on the new planet makes for a damn good plot and affinity missions build up nicely the personal story for a lot of characters. On top of that you have some normal missions who bring up some dark stories or surprising outcome.

That satisfaction when you sneak behind (or over) a lot of enemies much stronger than you to reach your objective. sogood.gif

And then you just sit there on an edge, looking at the beautiful landscape:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ygqnl.jpg

I have the same opinion as you, I am at chapter 9 and I am really liking the story so far, even the side missions have some plot to it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I think the issue people have with his post is that he's basically judging the entire game off of the tutorial.

Kouriozan

Anyone know how to access FN 224 in Noctilum?
I've been flying all around for an hour now, figured it would be inside a cave or something, no luck so far.
Edit : I think I finally found the entrance.
Edit 2 : yay, done placing all probes on Mira :)

Sylas

So, uh. I wanna recruit
Hope
into my party but I can't begin the quest to get her
(I assume it's in front of the church.)
Says I need to do a basic quest first. Does that pop up eventually or should I keep spamming the board until it appears?

vareon

I'm in the middle of Chapter 5 and I decided I want to change party members.

I can remove Lao (my current fourth), but I can't recruit anyone else. Only Lao hangs out in his usual post if removed.

Who made this decision?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, uh. I wanna recruit
Hope
into my party but I can't begin the quest to get her
(I assume it's in front of the church.)
Says I need to do a basic quest first. Does that pop up eventually or should I keep spamming the board until it appears?

Just spam the board. You don't need to do the quest, you just need to have it.

Also, I really like that character. It fits in well with the rest of my team.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The music gets a lot of hate but i love it.

XC music was on another level of oldschoool video greatness but xbx is still solid.

I dont watch anime so maybe it doesn't seem cliche to me... i also liked twewy music and this reminds me of it a bit but with a more epic twist.

Sylas

Just spam the board. You don't need to do the quest, you just need to have it.

Dammit. Okay, thanks! I sat at the board for like, 15 minutes last night spamming it with no luck. I don't even know why I want her so much, but I do.

Also--I think a great litmus test for how you'll feel about this game is thinking about how you like ye olde MMOs. It reminds me a lot of what I think a good, open world MMO would play like. Kinda makes me sad that this particular IP won't be made into one since I think it's a fascinating world that would benefit greatly from regular updates. There's an excuse for a huge number of player characters and an obvious way to advance the world-state with content updates through colonization.

Alas, pipedreams!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dammit. Okay, thanks! I sat at the board for like, 15 minutes last night spamming it with no luck. I don't even know why I want her so much, but I do.

Also--I think a great litmus test for how you'll feel about this game is thinking about how you like ye olde MMOs. It reminds me a lot of what I think a good, open world MMO would play like. Kinda makes me sad that this particular IP won't be made into one since I think it's a fascinating world that would benefit greatly from regular updates. There's an excuse for a huge number of player characters and an obvious way to advance the world-state with content updates through colonization.

Alas, pipedreams!

If you see a quest asking for natural pearls that's the one. I think you need to be around lvl24 to even pick it up.

The music gets a lot of hate but i love it.

XC music was on another level of oldschoool video greatness but xbx is still solid.

I dont watch anime so maybe it doesn't seem cliche to me... i also liked twewy music and this reminds me of it a bit but with a more epic twist.

The World Ends With You's Soundtrack was amazing. But a large part of it is because its an entirely urban game. A regular JRPG soundtrack would be super outta place in a game like that. Music was also generally stuff you could actually listen too outside of gaming as well. I dont think XCX has a soundtrack where the track would just fit as regular music.

Qurupeke

On another note, the game is certainly not as huge as people made it to be. I'm not referring to its world, but it's length. It's seems to be feasible to finish the main story in around 50-60 hours and I'd say that under 100 seems pretty normal. Before its release, I've been hearing people say that it's 200+ hours to finish just the main story and this really scared me.

That said, in the end, if you plan to reach the end game stuff and fight 90+ monsters, I can totally see 500+ hours on this. Especially if you count the Squad missions.

Sylas

On another note, the game is certainly not as huge as people made it to be. I'm not referring to its world, but it's length. It's seems to be feasible to finish the main story in around 50-60 hours and I'd say that under 100 seems pretty normal. Before its release, I've been hearing people say that it's 200+ hours to finish just the main story and this really scared me.

That said, in the end, if you plan to reach the end game stuff and fight 90+ monsters, I can totally see 500+ hours on this. Especially if you count the Squad missions.

I'm noticing this too and it's definitely a relief. I'm sitting right at 40 hours having just cleared chapter 8, but I've also waffled around and done a lot of side stuff to raise affinities with the characters I like. I can see myself giving the game about 20-30 more hours before I'm probably done with the single player aspect of it.

I was worried that I'd not have the time to see the game through the main story completion, but it seems I absolutely will, which is good.

Rewind

Anybody heard from Best Buy about that 7 button offer.

I assume they'll only send the coupon out 15 days after Xenoblade X's release but I wanted to check if anybody got anything yet.

I did get my pizza cash as soon as I picked up my order.

I never got my pizza cash code but I got the game shipped, idk if they gave out codes to shipping orders.

I'm noticing this too and it's definitely a relief. I'm sitting right at 40 hours having just cleared chapter 8, but I've also waffled around and done a lot of side stuff to raise affinities with the characters I like. I can see myself giving the game about 20-30 more hours before I'm probably done with the single player aspect of it.

I was worried that I'd not have the time to see the game through the main story completion, but it seems I absolutely will, which is good.
I'm at about 70 hours, chapter 10, though I've left the console on while I did other things a few times out of laziness. Also, I suck at videogames.

Jolkien

Did anybody find the probe site in Noctilum, all the way north east ? I can't find it.

EDIT: Nevermind I found it, if someone else is looking it's on a rock pillar in the ocean, really easy to find >_> I was looking for a cave lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom