• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFatMan

Swam all the way to Sylvalum to do an Affinity Mission last night. I gotta say, no game has ever kept me so excited to play it and explore after this many hours. I've put 23 hours into the game so far and I feel like I have barely scratched the surface.

I never thought this game would be a GOTY contender when I bought it, but I was wrong.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Chapter 3? You haven't even done anything yet :/

If there is one extremely valid complaint about this game its that it doesn't do a good job of organically explaining shit to you.

Upgrading your mechnical field skill is super important. Shouldnt that be made obvious? A player shouldn't in a game about exporation wander all the way to an explore point just to be told "yo not high enough level" without any indication that is even a thing. By the time you reaxh your first locked explore point its very possible you havent invested in mechanixal yet and even worse its very possible the player may not even know how to boost it.

I really like this game but the streamlining and quality of play features are a major step back from Xenoblade 1.

Its true the game doesn't spoon feed you all the tooltips upfront, but it is actually very organic in how it does deliver pertinent info. NPC's will regularly highlight info so long as the player takes the time to explore and chat now and again(complementing the theme of the game). Yes, info may arrive staggered during some players adventures, making certain systems or features unknown until the player discovers them, but I really dig this approach.

I get some find it frustrating as they want for total greased efficiency, considering how often quests and missions will pull you to locations regularly, missing a data node isn't really a big concern anyway as you posit. I love the little discoveries as I progress, visiting a new section of NLA to grab a quest and also learning a mechanic that was previously unhighlighted, or being given a tip where I can grab a rare collectible for a mission sitting in my log for hours. Happens constantly. But yes, looking at the game through the lens of an Ubi-checklist...you will hate this approach.

Chapter 8 was so amazing; it seems like the more I play the game, the better it gets.

Quick question: What does it mean when an Art says "boost damage in melee combos"? Like if I use that art then do another melee art quickly, it'll give bonus damage?

Chaos17

Chapter 8 was so amazing; it seems like the more I play the game, the better it gets.

Quick question: What does it mean when an Art says "boost damage in melee combos"? Like if I use that art then do another melee art quickly, it'll give bonus damage?

Yeah, that's how I understand it.

Makonero

So, I have the info for Elma and Phog's second heart to hearts, but I haven't even had their first ones! Do I have to have the info from a random person first? Kinda weird that they'd give you that information without you having done the first one.

Also, where do I get a pet cat!?

zroid

Banned
Finally played Ch 4 last night, I really should have done this ages ago. I'd already placed down a probe right by the boss.

Also
dammit give me some warning I'm about to face humanoid enemies, I need time to switch my arts/skills! ...not that I really needed it this time, way overleveled

Whizkid7

Yeah the Enforcer felt great but I'm not really feeling the Mastermind class. Would love to do some ranged damage but there doesn't seem to be a class thats particularly great at it.

Honestly if you're not going for the whole "spam Brainjack and Sleep arts" setup that Mastermind is basically built around there's really no point to running with it. Most of its beam arts are only there to supplement debuffing an enemy and making them easier to hit with control. Grab the skills and move on (Secondary Accelerator is really excellent).

Xenoblade

The text is just too damn small. Can we combine the powers of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Heart and GAF to petition Nintendo to patch the font size?

Man controlling Elma while having a duelist MC is amazing. Soul voices off the charts and critical power with stream edge while once they magnum edge.

So good.

So far my character ranking on how fun they are to control.

1. Elma (sprint during battle and positional arts op)

2. Doug

3. Irina (I like managing heals ok)

4. Gwin

5. Lao/Alexa (This class isn't as fun as I hoped it would be, there's just not enough variety)

6. Lin/HB (High cd arts, playing the tank class and not many chances for voice prompts also the AI sucks at controlling topple boosted arts)

Correct. You'll know you hit it because you'll see the spiky message bubble around the numbers, similar to successful positional arts.

I am on Chapter 3 and wanted to make a few comments on the game:

The Sawano music is horrid, as expected. Cliched, souless anime music that makes me feel I am playing Aldonoah Zero the videogame everytime. What a disgraceful downgrade from X Wii.

The missions are just as expected, monotonous and simplistic. I hope more High-Entia post drama missions are available later in the game. Still, who thought making missions, the worst part of Xeno Wii, the focus of the game was a great idea?

I can shake up this feeling that this gaming shortcomings are tied to Wii U's failure. Like, there's a similar philosophy behind their developments. Trying to appeal to an imaginary audience that just wasn't there.

And a good note, the game is extremely atmospheric and immersive, but it seems wasted with the generic, bare bones storyline.

Wow... Um like they say about Dragon Age. Get out of the Hinterlands.

I see where you are going but the games first few chapters are training wheels before you get the normal quests. I hope you give it more of a chance.

Another thing about the combo arts, melee and ranges doesn't just mean orange and yellow.

For example, side slash and magnum edge also count as a melee art for the purposes of bonus damage. I haven't tested burning slash yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Another thing about the combo arts, melee and ranges doesn't just mean orange and yellow.

For example, side slash and magnum edge also count as a melee art for the purposes of bonus damage. I haven't tested burning slash yet.

Burning slash counts, I have it as a part of my rotation.

Edit : bare bone story line ?
Nope, that game has a lot of side quests to enhance the background of the main story.
Finish chapter 4 and you will began to access those affinity/normal quests.
Explanation here : https://fanofxenobladex.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/tips-2-how-to-dig-into-the-lore-and-characters/

Like others said, you're still at the begining.
I'm not playing this game 40+ hours if it was that shallow just because it's on Wii U

Advice : read the manual, read the OP and read us.
We'r all giving advices for beginners to have a good start.

Ok. I am going to shut up and keep playing. I know I am gonna end up loving the game (I already do, sans Sawano, ugh) it is just hard to let go of the idea that this isn't Xenoblade 2. :p

Chaos17

Ok. I am going to shut up and keep playing. I know I am gonna end up loving the game (I already do, sans Sawano, ugh) it is just hard to let go of the idea that this isn't Xenoblade 2. :p

Good luck, we're here if there is something you don't understand.
By the way, don't start any companion quests before you finished the tutorial quests of Eleanora and Kristy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You know, I really wish this game had a NG+. Like all they would have to carry over is affinity, it would just be so much better.

Brandon F

The text is just too damn small. Can we combine the powers of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Heart and GAF to petition Nintendo to patch the font size?

Add bestiary entries to the bottom screen when targeting enemies in combat. Cannot believe the gamepad just displays a goddamn logo. Amateur hour.

Mupod

I want to recruit the guy who gives you Blossom Dance
Nagi
. I have the guide and it says after chapter 7 I get an affinity quest for him with no requirements, and it should show up in the barracks. I've got nothing there in my game, what gives? Maybe an affinity quest prerequisite?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Add bestiary entries to the bottom screen when targeting enemies in combat. Cannot believe the gamepad just displays a goddamn logo. Amateur hour.

Shit, they could put the health bars and arts pallet down there as well. It just feels like a total waste of an opportunity.

Nagi
. I have the guide and it says after chapter 7 I get an affinity quest for him with no requirements, and it should show up in the barracks. I've got nothing there in my game, what gives? Maybe an affinity quest prerequisite?

Are you sure it's after 7? I've been running around and haven't seen anything and that's where I am now.

Astral Dog

I got to level 10 in my class again, and one thing bothers me a bit, is there a huge benefit to changing classes inmediatly? Because i assume alot of the Arts i will be getting are new, and im currently leveling up the ones i have. Big improvment from the class before, but..

Its better to change classes right now or to wait a bit more?

Also, how do you equip augments?

jgwhiteus

Is there a list somewhere of story-required affinity quests and their affinity level requirements? For example I've read one of Gwin's affinity quests is required to complete the game, so you need to build up one / two hearts with him beforehand.

I kind of just want to get those base affinity levels out of the way early on so I don't have to stress about experimenting with different members down the line.

I got to level 10 in my class again, and one thing bothers me a bit, is there a huge benefit to changing classes inmediatly? Because i assume alot of the Arts i will be getting are new, and im currently leveling up the ones i have. Big improvment from the class before, but..

Just equip both your old weapons on your new class. You can still level up / use your old arts, while gaining class levels (and arts) in your new class. Downside is the class might have different stats which render your old arts less effective (e.g. my HP went way down switching from Duelist to the Enforcer class, and I'm assuming melee attack as well, limiting the impact of my Longsword arts). Edit: I assume youre talking about a class change after mastering a class line.

Nagi

It's after chapter 8 I believe. I'm looking at it right now on my game.

Iryx

Is there a list somewhere of story-required affinity quests and their affinity level requirements? For example I've read one of Gwin's affinity quests is required to complete the game, so you need to build up one / two hearts with him beforehand.

I kind of just want to get those base affinity levels out of the way early on so I don't have to stress about experimenting with different members down the line.

IIRC, the only affinity needed for the main story is 1 heart for Lao and Gwin.

Lexxism

Ugh. Some of the quests are sooo vague. Like, find the xx item on Primordia. Yeah, right. I need to explore the whole region to find this item.

Brandon F

Also, how do you equip augments?

Worth it, later classes also provide passive bonuses that Drifter does not(described on the class descriptions). Some artes also transfer(based on weapons), so at least you can stick to the upper path to maintain the same style of play while reaping the rewards of new, more powerful artes(some which are upgrades).

You can also shift at any time if you prefer, but it doesn't take that long to level each class up and wrap your head around the slight changes. Certainly worth experimenting rather than settling in the long-run.

Qurupeke

Ch. 10 spoilers:

That was quite the big scale of a battle. I loved how big the enemy was. Other than that though, this felt like the first time the enemy is a damage sponge. It couldn't do enough damage and I had to wait everytime for my big attack. Still, l liked the battle.

I also just realized that Silica and Ryyz are of the same race. lol

silva1991

Everything is gonna be fine, it's not like there is a giant monster trying to make a bread out of me :p

sdpbsRB.jpg

Vecks

So, I have the info for Elma and Phog's second heart to hearts, but I haven't even had their first ones! Do I have to have the info from a random person first? Kinda weird that they'd give you that information without you having done the first one.

Also, where do I get a pet cat!?

I did get the info from a random person, but I don't think you need the info to activate the quest. It just helps you to figure out when and where you need to be. The main requirement is probably just that you have one heart of affinity available. I haven't even gotten Phog yet, but Elma's first heart to heart is by the west gate in the industrial district. She needs to be out of your party and you will find her there talking to some people in the afternoon behind some large containers.

Xenoboy

Wait, there are heart to hearts?
I thought they were affinity missions or am I just confused?
If they are affinity missions, isn't Elma's first in the barracks.

h0tp0ck3t

Ok so after something like 3 hours of stealthing my way around monsters roughly 20 - 30 levels higher than me I finally planted enough probes to get Noctilum to 20% and start Chapter 6. I'm definitely doing something wrong right? It shouldn't be that difficult to get to a measly 20% Survey rate right?

Vecks

Heart to hearts are different from affinity missions. They are just simple cutscenes that boost affinity.

Is there a video that shows off all the clothes/fashion stuff that's available? I can't find an English one but I'm hoping that since the game has been out so long in Japan, one might exist in Japanese.

I want that super sweet jacket and leather pants I have seen someone wear. I must know their names.

Mendrox

Ugh. Some of the quests are sooo vague. Like, find the xx item on Primordia. Yeah, right. I need to explore the whole region to find this item.

God damn it people :D

Just buy the mats in the BLADE devision shop with your bonus tickets.

Or use google - you can easily find any quest because someone already had the same problem always :)

NeonZ

There are Heart to Hearts, special conversation scenes triggered in specific places. They aren't the same as the Affinity missions, which are actual... missions, not just interaction scenes.

Xenoboy

Heart to hearts are different from affinity missions. They are just simple cutscenes that boost affinity.

Good to know. Thanks. So does the map update with locations of them then?
I gotta do some of these.

There are Heart to Hearts, special conversation scenes triggered in specific places. They aren't the same as the Affinity missions, which are actual... missions, not just interaction scenes.

Thanks for this too.

Makonero

I did get the info from a random person, but I don't think you need the info to activate the quest. It just helps you to figure out when and where you need to be. The main requirement is probably just that you have one heart of affinity available. I haven't even gotten Phog yet, but Elma's first heart to heart is by the west gate in the industrial district. She needs to be out of your party and you will find her there talking to some people in the afternoon behind some large containers.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom