• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
Completed Chapter 4,
the fight at the end vs Goetia was so cool since I decided to do that mission using Elma...

Also it was my first time in Noctilum, love that place even if only explored until the
Elephant's Trunk
. One area that I liked was the
lake in which there was this big statue that was actually alive and Killed my party in on sweep. Welp.

Dineren

Banned
I didn't understand the insurance system and lost two right off the bat.

I also am terrible at the QTE timing.

It's slow unlike the ones in combat so it's pretty easy to hit as long as you're watching your skell's health and expecting it. Of course that hasn't stopped me from panicking and accidentally mashing the button and blowing my skell up.

White question marks: not really necessary to talk to, they are either involved in a quest or will eventually become a normal quest client (orange question mark).

But the reason I say to do every normal quest you see while going around the map is because so many of these are chained with each other. Like you could do one normal quest that unlocks another one, and that one is a prerequisite for another normal mission.

For example for one of the companions you gotta do a chain of like 5-7 normal missions before the one you need unlocks.

Excellent. Thank you.

Squishy3

Fair enough... I do have a million dollars in the bank. I probably should buy my team skells before I go into combat with mine again...
The Skell you get for finishing the license exam is the only level 20 Skell in the game, so unless your teammates are level 30 they won't be able to use them.

Unison

It's slow unlike the ones in combat so it's pretty easy to hit as long as you're watching your skell's health and expecting it. Of course that hasn't stopped me from panicking and accidentally mashing the button and blowing my skell up.

Yeah, I freak the fuck out and miss it every time.

I would HAPPILY buy more insurance if the game let me. I know I suck.

Unison

The Skell you get for finishing the license exam is the only level 20 Skell in the game, so unless your teammates are level 30 they won't be able to use them.

Oh, that's kinda lame. I think the two girls are around 25-6. I'll have to grind some before I bring the skell back out. I suppose.

I didn't understand the insurance system and lost two right off the bat.

I also am terrible at the QTE timing.

1. You could always buy a new skell if you haven't already bought multiple for your party members. Give the one that still has 1 insurance to one of your party members. As long as it still has at least 1 insurance left, the party member will have unlimited use of the skell even if destroyed.

2. This bothered me to, but do what I do. Save way more often.

Just did a bunch of things you don't wanna do again? Save.

About to reach a mission circle/dot/location? Save. You don't wanna risk losing your Skell. I had all 3 of my insurances because of reloading if it died in a battle and trying again. If you perfect the B prompt as you escape you won't lose the insurance.

I only recently decidedly to permanently lose one of my insurances for my personal skell because I'm level 46 and I'll buy my level 50 skell first and give this one to the fourth party member.

Dineren

Banned
Yeah, I freak the fuck out and miss it every time.

I would HAPPILY buy more insurance if the game let me. I know I suck.

One thing you can do is change your division to prospector's. That will give you access to all the rewards daily and you can grab a salvage ticket everyday (assuming they stay number 1) that will give you a free skell repair. I tend to just save before triggering a cutscene and reloading if I fail though.

I've been occasionally using Doug as my fourth member because I love that out of all the different choices for party members in this crazy anime inspired sci-fi universe, there's just some completely boring guy... named Doug. He's actually decent in battle too.

I'm using Gwin right now but only to get his affinity requirement out of the way now so I never have to bother with him again. He's such nerd.

Once you have a skell and can take on higher level enemies, leveling characters seems to go pretty quickly.

Unison

Saving more often is going to be a necessity, for sure...

The thing that's most exasperating is that many of my deaths are because dumb AI pull extra monsters into the battle or because some behemoth comes wandering into our fight.

Golnei

I choose by 2 standards, whoever I havent used in a while, and who is the least leveled. and they're always with lin and elma fighting monstesr that are several levels higher than them, so even when they die, they still recieve the experience, and so they level up fast.

That's generally the approach I take as well - keeping most of the optional characters at roughly the same level is sort of a pain, but it's easier than having to grind them specifically; especially if you want to do the majority of affinity missions. Though I've tried to keep Lao's level around the avatar's, since it is a lot easier in some cases to have a complete party around the same level instead of having the 4th member lag behind.

That quest concerning the Ma-non and religion...
damn, that got really fucking dark...

I love how unexpected the conclusions to sidequests can get, especially when your decisions
directly result in the deaths of others.
Of course, the main cast is always going to be unaffected for gameplay reasons -
even Fiora survived in the end
- , but I like that they take the opportunity to torture the NPCs.

my god. I'm already over 40 hours into the game and I'm barely about to start chapter 6 and there's still so much more to do. The list of to do is ginormous. The amount to explore is equally ginormous. Freaking insane. For comparison's sake: The Lost Story can be completed in 30!

This game makes the original Xenoblade seem like it was small.

Zelda Wii U has some big expectations to live up to now. Hopefully Monolithsoft is developing it again.

Vena

Anybody know a good place to power level me and my team to lvl 60?

Most of Couldros isn't giving out good exp anymore.

Rooftops of Sylvalum.

What's considered to be the best Skell Frame size?

Light, medium, or large?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Heavies are tanks with good melee focus or HP/Armor. Medium is jack-of-all and can sculpt based on armor. Light is heavy evasion and good for range.

I don't think it'll do a million soon, but I could see it next year at this rate. Both EU and NA will be 200k by Christmas.

ehh I don't think this game will have those kind of legs, at least chances are both regions will run circles around Japan (helps that this is the new Wii U game for the holidays cause lolUltraSmash, lolAmiiboFestival)

btw anyone tried those Time Attack Missions? I wonder if any of you guys are close to a WR ;)

In already just in awe at Primordia. I cant imagine how the other areas will blow my mind.

I dont even mind the pop in so much. Its really exciting seeing a lvl 92 fucking behemoth pop in front of you as youre heading towards some mountains. It makes the epicness more epic, like seeing the fog clear or something.

Mistle

Managed to string 3 overdrives together (by rebuilding my TP during). Still learning the mechanics of OD but it was pretty exhilarating! haha. the whole colour combinations and number tally is a bit confusing though.

also, wow, just did the affinity mission which had me swim from primordia to sylvalum. great moment. sylvalum looks fantastic. but what really dawned on me was that there is a whole sea of potential content that's not on the frontiernav? o_o i could see islands and such off in the distance that weren't the main continents. gonna have to come back once i can fly in a skell so I don't have to swim.

I've been occasionally using Doug as my fourth member because I love that out of all the different choices for party members in this crazy anime inspired sci-fi universe, there's just some completely boring guy... named Doug. He's actually decent in battle too.

I'm using Gwin right now but only to get his affinity requirement out of the way now so I never have to bother with him again. He's such nerd.

Once you have a skell and can take on higher level enemies, leveling characters seems to go pretty quickly.

In fairness, Doug uses a laser sword and a giant beam cannon, so it's not like he's completely free of anime

In fairness, Doug uses a laser sword and a giant beam cannon, so it's not like he's completely free of anime

He gives you Starlight Duster which is pretty damn anime, being a 9 hit saber combo. High level photon saber is pretty fun, you basically can to combo into combos because you can reduce the cd by doing melee combos by 50% and gain tp by doing combos.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Completed Chapter 4,
the fight at the end vs Goetia was so cool since I decided to do that mission using Elma...

Also it was my first time in Noctilum, love that place even if only explored until the
Elephant's Trunk
lake in which there was this big statue that was actually alive and Killed my party in on sweep. Welp.
It sucks so hard that I had that spoiled for me by Nintendo minute lol

ivysaur12

Banned
ehh I don't think this game will have those kind of legs, at least chances are both regions will run circles around Japan (helps that this is the new Wii U game for the holidays cause lolUltraSmash, lolAmiiboFestival)

btw anyone tried those Time Attack Missions? I wonder if any of you guys are close to a WR ;)

There are so few releases on the WiiU, it's not like anyone who buys the console has a lot of options. And these numbers are probably on the low end, since there's a decent amount of WiiU's not connected to the internet.

Probably optimistic, but I could see it crawling there eventually.

Delio

Completed Chapter 4,

Elephant's Trunk

I almost swam to that thing on my first trip there but my gut was telling me "Just leave that alone you KNOW what's going to happen."

Completed Chapter 4,

Elephant's Trunk

That last part is a rite of passage for everyone.

My approach up till now is to take the less important members to do normal and board missions, and take Elma and Lin for the affinity missions.

Going to Noctilum with L and H.B. both underleveled was rough.

Also, I don't use Doug often because he overlaps with my character. Galactic knight kicks ass.

Saving more often is going to be a necessity, for sure...

The thing that's most exasperating is that many of my deaths are because dumb AI pull extra monsters into the battle or because some behemoth comes wandering into our fight.

There is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, more annoying during a quest than fighting a tough enemy and then a level 60+ giant titan appears because FUCK YOU and you have to either escape or risk losing your skell and dying anyways.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I can see this in like a year getting to 1 million, word of mouth goes a long way nowadays and JRPGS are kinda stuck on this line between possible million sellers and niche, it just all depends on both marketing and good word of mouth.

alvis.exe

quick question before I start chapter 9

Is there anything I should do
with Lao? I have the feeling something is gonna happen with him soon and don't want to miss any affinity quests I could have done.

If anyone wants to just give me a "yes" or "no", that would be awesome

Kinda late reply but YES.

You're OK affinity mission wise but do the heart-to-hearts.

And then tell me what they talk about in them because I'm still kicking myself that I missed'em.

random25

Completed Chapter 4,

Elephant's Trunk

I am probably the only one
who woke up that thing and not got myself killed lol.

Vena

NavNet is up to 250k now.

Are you sure you meant Sylvalum? Every Deer thing here is mid 40's.

Had better luck in the bubble cave with the tiny 68 things. Then the lvl 97 queen jumped down and one shoted us.

The central pylon of Sylvalum should be crammed full of mechanoids >60, unless my memory is failing.

the what? I have every probe besides the ones that are level 5. Specify continent and location-ish.

It's very high up, on Sylvalum's rooftop so to speak.
this is the level 5 south beam I am standing on
WVW69iqJVGgpUYWNf8

the one north west of that is the north peak of the summit cannot find the beam

finalflame

Are you serious

Connors comm device is next to a pack of lvl 36 grexes?

Fuck you connor

Hah, my sentiments exactly. If you're very slow you can sneak up to it without aggroing the Grexes and get it. I just climbed up towards it and slowly inched forward until I got it and booked it outta there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom