• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're about where I was at that time. I've been doing a lot of exploring since then, and now I'm low-20s and not even in Chapter 5 yet. I'm taking the time to catch up on Affinity Missions and improve my loadout/strategy.

By chapter 5 I was around 30 hours.

I think people typically finish chapter 6 around 20-30 hours in, so you're right on pace for that. Just make sure to explore as you go along. Several chapters required certain percentages of areas surveyed and if you've been doing that the entire time you won't need to worry about it halting your progress.

Cool, thanks for the info :)

I'll probably spend some time defeating tyrants and planting some probes on Noctilum and Oblivia tomorrow.

Mother of god the Six Star male level 25 heavy armor is the best thing ever.

I'll give you a hint at what you look like (using it as fashion gear):

I gotta call my level 50 Skell, some variation of Black Panther with skell in its name.

DAMMIT Christmas hurry up and get here
now i have to make 2 characters just to enjoy all the armor

And what does he do with it? Sells it! I would have bought it from him if he'd only ask.

Guess who just bought his third lvl 50 Skell?

oV7CSkw.jpg

How is the one on the right even flying lol the cannons look twice its size.

DAMMIT Christmas hurry up and get here
now i have to make 2 characters just to enjoy all the armor

It's so sweet dude.

It's a shame the female variation of so many armors is basically battle bikinis.

Alright, I am REALLY taking to this game.

I tried to play the first Xenoblade game twice and got very far in both but eventually just got bored or overwhelmed both times even though I really liked the plot and characters. I'm not a big open world game fan.

But something about this setting, about a legitimate SCI FI RPG with guns and lasers and shit just draws me the hell in. I'm really enjoying just exploring and finding shit and doing random missions from people I run into. As is always the case, I'm worried about missing stuff or not doing quests and whatever but it's much easier in this game to just fart around. I'm also really enjoying the characters and voice acting which is pretty darn good. I'm not far in but even the plot seems neat.

I just really enjoy the flow of combat. The switching of weapons and shit is great. I just have trouble hitting the B button in time because I have both my hands doing other shit every time it comes up.

finalflame

I don't know about levels, but I've heard you want to get at least 1 heart of affinity with
Gwin
for story mission progress later on. Can't confirm that yet though.

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind.

Man, I'm 30 hours in and just now finished Chapter 5. Loving it. So much I'm still lost about on gear, augments, etc though. Can't believe I won't even have a flying Skell until Ch. 9 ...

Dad

Skells annihilate the difficulty curve. I went from barely beating the Chapter 7 boss to killing the Chapter 8 boss in one shot. It's kind of hilarious

ugoo18

My Skell just died for the first time and i have no idea where to go to get it back. Been running around the hangar and Barracks for about 30mins lol.

HiroTSK5

My Skell just died for the first time and i have no idea where to go to get it back. Been running around the hangar and Barracks for about 30mins lol.

The computer in the barracks, the second option. I went through the same thing when I drove mine into Oblivia's Abyss.

ugoo18

The computer in the barracks, the second option. I went through the same thing when I drove mine into Oblivia's Abyss.

The network computer?

EDIT: Nvm found it, i'm guessing that was explained earlier and i forgot but still considering your character has a comm device there has to be a more convenient way of finding your skell. Same deal with party members.

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind.

Man, I'm 30 hours in and just now finished Chapter 5. Loving it. So much I'm still lost about on gear, augments, etc though. Can't believe I won't even have a flying Skell until Ch. 9 ...

keep it in mind with Gwyn and Lao btw. You need 1 heart with both of them for different affinity quests that lock out story progression.

Also I wish Murderess was friendlier with me. I want to ber her kohai, but in her affinity quest the reward for the mission was [spoiler[600K[/spoiler] and I only received like 1/5th of that.

Cheap douche. No longer working on your affinity now. Hope will continue to be my kohai and I her ever ignoring senpai.

I'm loving this game. I only played about 15 hours, and have just been filling out my maps surely but slowly. This took the best aspect of exploration for the OG Xenoblade and just expanded greatly on it.

Does every hexagon tile have a fast travel spot, or it just most of them?

finalflame

keep it in mind with Gwyn and Lao btw. You need 1 heart with both of them for different affinity quests that lock out story progression.

Also I wish Murderess was friendlier with me. I want to ber her kohai
, but in her affinity quest the reward for the mission was
and I only received like 1/5th of that.

Cheap douche. No longer working on your affinity now. Hope will continue to be my kohai and I her ever ignoring senpai.

giphy.gif

Just kidding, thanks for the tip. I haven't done her affinity quest yet (not 22!), but man I'm regretting having read the description/details for it.

Is there a big point to talking to every named NPC and filling in affinity stuff? Will I miss out on quests if I don't do that shit? That's a bit tedious.

Ozium

I've been all over the commercial district looking for intel for Hope's Affinity mission..

can't find it but at least I got a bunch of map updates lol

spending the rest of today idling as I take in the miranium and spend it on maximizing my last AM. Once I do this I can officially spend the rest in upgrading my level 55 armor whenever I get it.

Renewed

Finished the story because I'm sick of getting requirements telling me to be further along in the story. Screw the story, I'm more interested in the side stuff than this shit lol

Gotta get to level 50 so I can get those new Skells. Also need more research probes.... hell give me more duplicator and booster probes so I can make mad money

I've been all over the commercial district looking for intel for Hope's Affinity mission..

can't find it but at least I got a bunch of map updates lol

Check the southeast most intersection, I think the northwest side?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
spending the rest of today idling as I take in the miranium and spend it on maximizing my last AM. Once I do this I can officially spend the rest in upgrading my level 55 armor whenever I get it.

My miranium has been stuck at 15000 cause I have no more storage probes, been like this for like 2 days now ;_;

At least 200k now I guess.
Does one person killing a tyrant multiple times count as multiple-
He can be farmed. Use Volkampf.
welp guess it does!

what's Volkampf at then (though really I don't need yet another NA update, where's the EU people at)

Are there any tyrants over level 100 in this game? Like in the first game.

no, highest is level 99

that's high enough though considering the level cap is 60

Is there a big point to talking to every named NPC and filling in affinity stuff? Will I miss out on quests if I don't do that shit? That's a bit tedious.

Affinity quests work to expand on the characters themselves. If you want to expand on the world, the city, and getting to know the different alien races, alongside some decently cool missions, then do the normal missions.

I'd focus on normal first, then do the affinity quests you care to do if you like a character (outside of the main two obviously, do their affinity quests whenever you can).

Apparently late game there's a mission you can keep redoing to raise affinity super fast so if you really felt like seeing those affinity quests you could do them then.

But yeah, give priority to the normal quests you find scattered around the city sections. Those are the best.

My miranium has been stuck at 15000 cause I have no more storage probes, been like this for like 2 days now ;_;

How many do you have? I only have like 4-5 but I linked them all and have a max storage of 33000. I am only currently making 33K at a time since I'm too lazy to figure out where to put all of my mining probes but I could hit that limit. Ah fuck it I'll do it. I'm watching tv anyways, I am doing it all on the gamepad.

Mupod

I figured I'd plow through some quests on the board before diving into affinity quest stuff, which I've barely touched. Only doing the 'story' type quests and tyrant hunting.

A whole day later and the quests just keep on coming...and New LA is a lot livelier.

Also I just realized I've been playing this game for 60-something hours and haven't had to recharge my Pro Controller yet. What kind of Ma-non tech is powering this thing? After a few months of PS4 Destiny I got so sick of that piece of junk's battery life.

Who do you guys pick as your 4th member? I usually just picked whoever is required for the mission, but for main story missions, Iwould like to have the best team at hand. So far I've liked Lao and Gwin, but Frye and murderess also look quite qood.....

foxuzamaki

I figured I'd plow through some quests on the board before diving into affinity quest stuff, which I've barely touched. Only doing the 'story' type quests and tyrant hunting.

A whole day later and the quests just keep on coming...and New LA is a lot livelier.

Also I just realized I've been playing this game for 60-something hours and haven't had to recharge my Pro Controller yet. What kind of Ma-non tech is powering this thing? After a few months of PS4 Destiny I got so sick of that piece of junk's battery life.

pro-controller has a 1000 hour battery life

Affinity quests work to expand on the characters themselves. If you want to expand on the world, the city, and getting to know the different alien races, alongside some decently cool missions, then do the normal missions.

I'd focus on normal first, then do the affinity quests you care to do if you like a character (outside of the main two obviously, do their affinity quests whenever you can).

Apparently late game there's a mission you can keep redoing to raise affinity super fast so if you really felt like seeing those affinity quests you could do them then.

But yeah, give priority to the normal quests you find scattered around the city sections. Those are the best.

Cool, but...do I have to talk to randos without quest markers to gain knowledge of their affinity in order for those quests to show up? Like if Dustin has a quest will I just see it when it comes up or do I have to have talked to him before to know he has a brother he doesn't like to trigger the flag to show the quest?

foxuzamaki

How many do you have? I only have like 4-5 but I linked them all and have a max storage of 33000. I am only currently making 33K at a time since I'm too lazy to figure out where to put all of my mining probes but I could hit that limit. Ah fuck it I'll do it. I'm watching tv anyways, I am doing it all on the gamepad.

I think ive had 3, and they're all spread out all over the place, because i dont want to put them in a useful probing spot where I can get alot of money

Mupod

Who do you guys pick as your 4th member? I usually just picked whoever is required for the mission, but for main story missions, Iwould like to have the best team at hand. So far I've liked Lao and Gwin, but Frye and murderess also look quite qood.....

I try to give everyone a turn to keep affinity levels rising. But if I have to choose, Space Dunban
Nagi
is by far the coolest and most effective. It's like they tried way harder with his AI for some reason and he actually fights intelligently.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's about what I've got. I make about 32k a pop, any more than that seems like it would take a crazy amount of optimization.

Dineren

Banned

I'm mainly using Hope now, but I'm as far from a min/maxer as you can get. I can't even think of what arts she has.

foxuzamaki

I try to give everyone a turn to keep affinity levels rising. But if I have to choose, Space Dunban
Nagi
is by far the coolest and most effective. It's like they tried way harder with his AI for some reason and he actually fights intelligently.

I choose by 2 standards, whoever I havent used in a while, and who is the least leveled. and they're always with lin and elma fighting monstesr that are several levels higher than them, so even when they die, they still recieve the experience, and so they level up fast.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Need some help on Chapter 12...

Is this game fucking serious? 2 boss fights in a row all my skells got destroyed now I have to fight these chimeras that are destroying my entire party? This is just awful design. Is there any way to cheese these guys or escape the lifehold? I already lowered the difficulty but it didn't help at all. I really don't want to reload.

Unison

Am I the only one who likes the game LESS once they got the Skell license.

I'm so nervous about losing my Skell now that it's completely changed my playstyle and made me cagey about exploring, whereas I threw caution to the wind early on.

Bleh. It's not a bad game by any means, but I hate how they handle the Skell repairs. :/

Gattsu25

Banned
The network computer?

EDIT: Nvm found it, i'm guessing that was explained earlier and i forgot but still considering your character has a comm device there has to be a more convenient way of finding your skell. Same deal with party members.

Regarding the bold, it wasn't.

ike_

I've been using Irina as my 4th wheel, but today I learned there is a recruitable character named Murderess I need to find.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'm so nervous about losing my Skell now that it's completely changed my playstyle and made me cagey about exploring, whereas I threw caution to the wind early on.

Bleh. It's not a bad game by any means, but I hate how they handle the Skell repairs. :/

It's really not that bad. If you're doing good with your probe set up you'll make the money back in an instant.

Dineren

Banned
I know it's not possible in some cutscenes, but in ones where you are fighting against a skell or something bigger it would be nice if they left you in your skell instead of having your characters all on foot drawing their weapons.

You can't abandon affinity missions? Screw that. I can't even do anything in this one and am just waiting for crap to mine.

Yeah, this is a pretty big annoyance. It forces you to save before accepting an affinity mission and makes me very cautious about saving in the middle of a mission.

Squishy3

You actually need to be really reckless to lose all 3 of your insurances. The gimme they give you isn't that great for actual combat, since it's only level 20. The others are then level 30 and 50 respectively, and much better.

You won't lose it in standard combat with stuff your level, it's when you try to bite off way more than you can chew that you risk actually letting it get destroyed. Example: I was fighting a level 45 tyrant and winning with 2/4 of my party members equipped with Skells, then I accidentally managed to hit one of the flying whales. RIP Skells. If you land the Soul Voice prompt with a perfect when your Skell gets destroyed also, you won't lose any insurances.

And each new Skell comes with 3 insurances as well.

Cool, but...do I have to talk to randos without quest markers to gain knowledge of their affinity in order for those quests to show up? Like if Dustin has a quest will I just see it when it comes up or do I have to have talked to him before to know he has a brother he doesn't like to trigger the flag to show the quest?

White question marks: not really necessary to talk to, they are either involved in a quest or will eventually become a normal quest client (orange question mark).

But the reason I say to do every normal quest you see while going around the map is because so many of these are chained with each other. Like you could do one normal quest that unlocks another one, and that one is a prerequisite for another normal mission.

For example for one of the companions you gotta do a chain of like 5-7 normal missions before the one you need unlocks.

I think ive had 3, and they're all spread out all over the place, because i dont want to put them in a useful probing spot where I can get alot of money

Personally I put them in Noctilum. Left side has shit that it won't be the end of the world if you put them there. Remember that research probes are better used in chaining things with 1/2 sightseeing spots.

I'd recommend having one of the less important blades as your fourth member. I say this because the main story quests tend to block you from using one or more of the main 4-5 blade party members. Personally I use Hope, she's ok. If it wasn't that I've invested so much effort into leveling her I'd go for another one though.

Unison

You actually need to be really reckless to lose all 3 of your licenses. The gimme they give you isn't that great for actual combat, since it's only level 20. The others are then level 30 and 50 respectively.

I didn't understand the insurance system and lost two right off the bat.

I also am terrible at the QTE timing.

Zomba13

Chapter 11 is so stupid...

I don't want to side with Lin and Lao, I want to put 2 bullets into his skull. The lack of player agency is complete bullshit and this story is just a complete clown fiesta, such a frustrating experience.

I just did that bit and agree. We get to make choices for a lot of things but for that we get nothing?
Lao was a stupid jerk and Lin was naive. If it was about protecting the data then I agree with what Lin did, 50/50 odds aren't enough to bet humanity on but it was protecting him because he's our friend and they don't want him to "die" blah blah blah. He was weak, Elma and MC should have just rushed him and pulled the terminal out of his ass or wherever he decided to hide it.

Unison

It's really not that bad. If you're doing good with your probe set up you'll make the money back in an instant.

Fair enough... I do have a million dollars in the bank. I probably should buy my team skells before I go into combat with mine again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom