• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenhaZ

Neo Member
Tried to connect my Wii U to PC monitor for non-stop night sessions, but apparently it's not outputting the signal in 1080p or 720p, only 480p works : (

At these settings X looks like a first Xenoblade and by eyes are bleeding from this blurish mess. Fonts are super small, same then you are playing on the gamepad.

ike_

Lin, look, I know where this is going.
GtjDrw6.jpg

If you don't stop with these jokes I'm going to have to find something even more humiliating for you to wear.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Just got my skell and yea, this is my GOTY hands down. I wasn't sold after the first few hours but now I can't stop playing. It's soooo goooood.

Zafir

It was really just the first part of Chapter 9 that kicked my ass. I beat the second part without too much issue (although the end got dicey somewhat).

The two cat people could do some crazy combos that did SO much damage to me. I had to go back to a previous class that I had maxed out (Galaxy Knight FTW) because my other one just wasn't pumping out enough damage fast enough. To be fair, I was also having to use a lower level 4th character since my regular 4th guy (Lao) wasn't part of the mission. And my partners kept wasting TP by reviving her instead of saving it for me lol.

Question about later in the game:

Can I count on having Lao as an option for Chapters 10-12 or should I level up Irina or someone else?
Just done that fight myself. Pretty much had the same issue.
Fortunately I did have Irina levelled up so used her instead of Lao, but she was utterly useless throughout the fight. She just kept dying. I managed to retweak my build enough(I'd also been levelling a second line) and grinded max TP quickly and that allowed me to win. Even despite the fact my gamepad died midfight and it took me a bit of faffing to get the cable.

The Skell fight after was utterly laughable in comparison. My Skell's made short work of them. I guess it shows what all my money went into, lol.

How are you supposed to level up? I started chapter 4 at level 12 and the boss at the end is 16. Unless I'm supposed to run around murdering everything around the right level just progressing barely gives anything.

Landed at the end at level 13 and I'm getting whooped.

Just done that fight myself. Pretty much had the same issue.
Fortunately I did have Irina levelled up so used her instead of Lao, but she was utterly useless throughout the fight. She just kept dying. I managed to retweak my build enough(I'd also been levelling a second line) and grinded max TP quickly and that allowed me to win. Even despite the fact my gamepad died midfight and it took me a bit of faffing to get the cable.

The Skell fight after was utterly laughable in comparison. My Skell's made short work of them. I guess it shows what all my money went into, lol.

Yeah,
the skell fight afterwards was a joke compared to the first part which is a little funny considering how the male cat guy kept saying how that first fight was "just the beginning!" lol

I feel like I don't know how to choose the best parts/abilities for Skells... a lot of the time, I just choose a weapon that has the best "Force" rating without really knowing what the ability does until afterwards. *shrug* I don't know what's good. Any good recommendations for a Medium lvl30 skell?

Also, what level should I be by the time I beat the story?

Anyone know how this game is performing in the West?

I really hope that Monolith takes another crack at open world games and that the sales of XBX would justify it.

Vena

Murderess VA work + Affinity Missions are some of the best in the game. She's probably one of my favorite of the cast.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If I'm just now heading into chapter 4, about how much longer until I can get a doll (yes doll)?

your still at level 13 last time I checked :p and your a ways away, word of advice is go survey aka probe every area you can find of noctilum until atleast its past 10%, but preferably 20%, this will save you some time later.

I would like to use Irina as a backup 4th member when another character isn't available, but I swear, she dies SO often... I don't know what her deal is, lol. She doesn't even have a taunt, so I don't know how she's drawing so much aggro and dying on so many fights. :S She's a little underleveled but still.

Oh and if the other characters have a skell that "dies" in combat, it doesn't use insurance does it? I assume they always get a "perfect" rating and insurance isn't used?

foxuzamaki

Anyone know how this game is performing in the West?

I really hope that Monolith takes another crack at open world games and that the sales of XBX would justify it.

A few days ago ivysaur checked and said some 100,000+ people have tried and failed against a tyrant, which means atleast 100,000 people have the game, or atleast close to it.

And that was only a few days ago, plus theres some thats probably under some christmas trees right now.

I'm only past chapter 5, but holy shit am I enjoying taking my time with this game.

They really nailed the feeling of being stranded on a hostile planet. Anything anywhere can fuck you up if you're not careful. The trek through the northern part of Primordia and across the ocean to Sylvalum was tense! Ironically though most of the monsters in Sylvalum ignore you on foot, it's kinda relaxing in a haunting sort of way.

I love that the only thing gating you are the enemies. Like someone said earlier in the thread, it feels like you are getting away with something you shouldn't be. Except in this game, even the later areas have stuff for you to do and monsters for you to fight should you choose to go somewhere underleveled. I never feel like I'm wasting time exploring areas ahead of the story since I can plant probes to make traversal later on much quicker. It feels very rewarding and instills a great sense of danger.

Lastly, minor geographical spoilers for Oblivia:
Was disappointed to find out that there's nothing at the bottom of the chasm. It felt really jarring to just die and teleport back up when the rest of the game lets you go pretty much anywhere without boundaries. Would've been awesome to have something like in the Spongebob movie where the valley is full of horrifying, high level monsters! I do know that there is at least one cave along the cliffside though, so at least that.

So, just to know if I'm in line with others people playtimes. I've just finished Chapter 4 and I've done some sidequests. I am almost at the 18 hours mark.

Am I rushing it or taking my time accordingly? I don't want to rush this game. :p

How are you supposed to level up? I started chapter 4 at level 12 and the boss at the end is 16. Unless I'm supposed to run around murdering everything around the right level just progressing barely gives anything.

Just kill stuff and complete missions to gain XP. Pretty much everything grants XP of one kind or another.

Some stuff to keep in mind: enemies above your level will give far more XP than those at or below your level, so try to push yourself. Note that an enemy's size is as important as their level in determing their strength. Also note that tyrant-designated enemies are vastly stronger than others of their kind; they're designated by a purple aura near their level info. Finally, enemies of the same species may join in battle against you, and roving mobs may do the same, which can heavily stack battle against you if unprepared.

Another thing: aside from gear, properly utilising your arts during combat (and activating soul voices--the QTEs mid-combat) are hugely important in succeeding in battle. Proper synergy can be the difference between dealing 200 damage or 2,000 damage with an attack. So pay attention and optimise your attack order! It's tough but very satisfying to pull off.
So, just to know if I'm in line with others people playtimes. I've just finished Chapter 4 and I've done some sidequests. I am almost at the 18 hours mark.

Am I rushing it or taking my time accordingly? I don't want to rush this game. :p
You're about where I was at that time. I've been doing a lot of exploring since then, and now I'm low-20s and not even in Chapter 5 yet. I'm taking the time to catch up on Affinity Missions and improve my loadout/strategy.

Zafir

Yeah,
the skell fight afterwards was a joke compared to the first part which is a little funny considering how the male cat guy kept saying how that first fight was "just the beginning!" lol

I feel like I don't know how to choose the best parts/abilities for Skells... a lot of the time, I just choose a weapon that has the best "Force" rating without really knowing what the ability does until afterwards. *shrug* I don't know what's good. Any good recommendations for a Medium lvl30 skell?

I found an orange G Buster while exploring Sylvalum off some prone, and then I found an orange BB-Sword while saving some dudes from a prone camp in Oblivia. Both of those just destroy anything I come against. Can even kill level 55-60's assuming the attacks don't miss.

Hmm, I don't know how to get the mechanical level 5 quest to trigger on the board. I've had Mechanical level 4, but have yet to get the quest to upgrade it. Any tips?

I found an orange G Buster while exploring Sylvalum off some prone, and then I found an orange BB-Sword while saving some dudes from a prone camp in Oblivia. Both of those just destroy anything I come against. Can even kill level 55-60's assuming the attacks don't miss.

lol wow...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah,

Skell equipment changes based on the fight. If you're fighting other skells focus on beam damage exclusively as it gets a huge bonus against mechanical enemies. You'll face roll any enemy skells, like 2 arts and they die.

foxuzamaki

I'm only past chapter 5, but holy shit am I enjoying taking my time with this game.

They really nailed the feeling of being stranded on a hostile planet. Anything anywhere can fuck you up if you're not careful. The trek through the northern part of Primordia and across the ocean to Sylvalum was tense! Ironically though most of the monsters in Sylvalum ignore you on foot, it's kinda relaxing in a haunting sort of way.

I love that the only thing gating you are the enemies. Like someone said earlier in the thread, it feels like you are getting away with something you shouldn't be. Except in this game, even the later areas have stuff for you to do and monsters for you to fight should you choose to go somewhere underleveled. I never feel like I'm wasting time exploring areas ahead of the story since I can plant probes to make traversal later on much quicker. It feels very rewarding and instills a great sense of danger.

Lastly, minor geographical spoilers for Oblivia:
Was disappointed to find out that there's nothing at the bottom of the chasm. It felt really jarring to just die and teleport back up when the rest of the game lets you go pretty much anywhere without boundaries. Would've been awesome to have something like in the Spongebob movie where the valley is full of horrifying, high level monsters! I do know that there is at least one cave along the cliffside though, so at least that.
I was enjoying swimming from primordia to sylavum when heading to the middle islands ot find a while bunch of prones with their mechas on the island, needless to say i took a hard left going forward

random25

I would like to use Irina as a backup 4th member when another character isn't available, but I swear, she dies SO often... I don't know what her deal is, lol. She doesn't even have a taunt, so I don't know how she's drawing so much aggro and dying on so many fights. :S She's a little underleveled but still.

Oh and if the other characters have a skell that "dies" in combat, it doesn't use insurance does it? I assume they always get a "perfect" rating and insurance isn't used?

Maybe because she goes melee in every fight? Try putting more arts that act as support like Last Stand or ranged attacks.

Vecks

Killing is the main way. It shouldn't take too long to get a few levels, especially if you kill things around your level. I mean, you do get xp from other things like all the treasures, finding landmarks, quests--but it's usually not much, as you say. The highest I've gotten so far from just finding a new landmark was 500, but that was a secret area.

Skell equipment changes based on the fight. If you're fighting other skells focus on beam damage exclusively as it gets a huge bonus against mechanical enemies. You'll face roll any enemy skells, like 2 arts and they die.

Oh interesting, didn't know that. I guess I don't really know what the upcoming fights will be though, so I just choose a variety of different attacks lol

Maybe because she goes melee in every fight? Try putting more arts that act as support like Last Stand or ranged attacks.

Hmm, it's possible she's doing that. I might change up her arts and look at them a bit more.

Dad

Chapter 8

The game bugged out near the end of the boss fight and started blasting NLA Night Theme. I'm dying

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Chapter 11 is so stupid...

I don't want to side with Lin and Lao, I want to put 2 bullets into his skull. The lack of player agency is complete bullshit and this story is just a complete clown fiesta, such a frustrating experience.

Vecks

By chapter 5 I was around 30 hours.

A few days ago ivysaur checked and said some 100,000+ people have tried and failed against a tyrant, which means atleast 100,000 people have the game, or atleast close to it.

And that was only a few days ago, plus theres some thats probably under some christmas trees right now.

Cool. Would you know if thats just for NA or EU or is it a combined total?

Anecdotally, it seems to be doing well in Sydney. The collectors edition was completely sold out by day 1.

Dineren

Banned

I think people typically finish chapter 6 around 20-30 hours in, so you're right on pace for that. Just make sure to explore as you go along. Several chapters required certain percentages of areas surveyed and if you've been doing that the entire time you won't need to worry about it halting your progress.

foxuzamaki

Cool. Would you know if thats just for NA or EU or is it a combined total?

Anecdotally, it seems to be doing well in Sydney. The collectors edition was completely sold out by day 1.

Im not sure, sorry, and yeah, i remember day of release there were alot of complaints of the game selling out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh interesting, didn't know that. I guess I don't really know what the upcoming fights will be though, so I just choose a variety of different attacks lol

It seems like the story has a lot of skell vs skell fights, so prioritize beam weapons. Everything else seems like it would be good for post-game, that said I'm not all the way through yet.

By chapter 5 I was around 30 hours.

I'm closing in on 60 hours in and I'm working on the prerequisites for chapter 11. My big issue is I kinda cheesed the chapter 10 fight by going heavy on the beam weapons and beat it at a lower level than I should have. So I'm not a high enough level to do the affinity quests I need despite having everyone at the right rating.

That's crazy. I did not die to that Tyrant. Although I did die twice to the chapter 4 boss.

One thing that helped beat it was I must have found something somewhere that let me create an HP XV augment. 800 HP increase when my characters are 1500 - 2000. I need to find where I got the stuff and create some more.

Loving this game. Just need to talk to the commander to officially complete chapter 4, then going to start some affinity missions.

Calculated it and I need about 9.1 million to purchase the 3 level 50 skells.

And I can only assume the armor and weapons are gonna be expensive as fuck. So I'll assume I will need maybe 11-12 million to buy the 3 skells plus trick them out.

HiroTSK5

That sword of legendaryness looks awfully familiar

And what does he do with it? Sells it! I would have bought it from him if he'd only ask.

Calculated it and I need about 9.1 million to purchase the 3 level 50 skells.

And I can only assume the armor and weapons are gonna be expensive as fuck. So I'll assume I will need maybe 11-12 million to buy the 3 skells plus trick them out.

Guess who just bought his third lvl 50 Skell?

oV7CSkw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom