• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syn23

Is there any in deep explanation of stats in this game I could read? For example how damage is calculated exactly and how Potential affects stuff.

Example of an infinite overdrive build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungSk06eous

QisTopTier has a great support build and his beam did 40k damage, but with an overdrive set up you can keep it going forever and consistently rack 20k per art with very little cool down times at all.

This is lower level, the damage you do gets ridiculously insane later one.

You eventually get into the 300,000s and if you're really crazy millions since it's infinite. And you don't need to worry about dying at all because Ghost Walker is GOAT support ability.

There are tons of different examples and builds, this is just to show how broken Overdrive is.
Yeah, it is broken indeed (but in a good way). I'm level 28 and I'm already chaining Overdrive 5 or 6 times, but it's quite risky to do so at this point of the game.

Vena

The one thing I could say that would have been neat for Cross (end game):

If they built onto the amnesia, and made it out that Cross was nothing more than a program anomaly or program defense mechanism, rather than a human consciousness in stasis. Or akin to Elma but unrecorded even to her, that'd have been a fun twist. A twist for Elma. Though I prefer the ghost in the system result, as it'd fit well with you being a ghost in the story rather than the protagonist.

At the end, Cross backs off and disappears.

I liked the ending/story, all said and done. It could have been better but facing it like an anime season or TV show rather than a narrative, it comes off feeling better.

I didn't know sightseeing spots were so key to research probes.

Really wish you could rearrange and try out various combinations without punishment. Moving around higher level probes is fucking expensive at a point where I need to save up every credit for a lvl 50 Skell.
Save and reload!

Being a cheap ass, I also strip my characters of all equipment and clothing when they leave my party, so it does look a bit weird when they show up in cutscenes in the buff.

I wanna make a Alpha Weltall/Id or final form even. Or even something like Fenrir?

Hell I would kill for a Crescens skell.

They put Omega Id in Saga III so it wouldn't surprise me if there some easter egg skell parts....

Is there any in deep explanation of stats in this game I could read? For example how damage is calculated exactly and how Potential affects stuff.

Yeah, it is broken indeed (but in a good way). I'm level 28 and I'm already chaining Overdrive 5 or 6 times, but it's quite risky to do so at this point of the game.
Apparently I need to replace some of the shit I never use (the aura and the purple art) with ghost Walker and the critical up art. I might need to find a big enemy and test out the best strategy against them. Something clear from the videos though is that his strategy relied on coming into the fight with enough TP to activate overdrive with.

Zeroneo

Huh the game stopped loading my save. After choosing a squad it just loads a bit and then crashes back to the main menu. Has this happened to anyone else?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Alright so chapter 7 boss, im doing pretty amazing at, until my teammates died, the boss was almost dead, but a human alone cant defeat the huge boss so I wasent hardly doing enough damage to it, but apparently im pretty good at the button prompt to save my mech, this most likely carried over from xenoblade, once I got use to the fact that i wasent using the wiimote and nunchuck and had to press the B button on the controller face, it has become alot easier and im falling into the groove again of just nailing perfects all day.

You guys think I should grind up to level 30? me, elma and lin are all level 27 and i bought mechs for both of them but I cannot use them, i wondered why and figured it must be because they were level 30 mechs

69wpm

vsgyer.jpg

This happened a few times during the game. Now I'm level 55 so only the big ones scare me. I'm gonna finish the last chapters this week, can't wait to see the ending. It was one hell of a ride until now.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
overdrive on foot is never long enough, but overdrive in the mech is just damn peachy. I could probably keep going for hours if i do it well enough.

Shun

Apparently I need to replace some of the shit I never use (the aura and the purple art) with ghost Walker and the critical up art. I might need to find a big enemy and test out the best strategy against them. Something clear from the videos though is that his strategy relied on coming into the fight with enough TP to activate overdrive with.

Nah it doesn't require coming in with enough TP it just helps and you should go in with high TP for every boss battle to secure any advantage you get.

It's why I think the salvage tickets are useless because the HP and the TP recovery items are worth more and are more useful.

This particular strategy relies on racking up TP with certain moves like Violent Streak and other moves. Ghost Walker ensures that you're basically invincible throughout the entire thing so you can keep racking up TP.

This is one of tons of examples on how to use and take advantage of overdrive.

It definitely isn't for everyone because of how hectic and involved you have to be. It's not necessary, but it makes surviving and going through boss battles more fun and faster if you put investment into it.

If you want to sit back and chill while still doing a ton of damage, go through with the TP Arts and healing route. You'll still do a lot of damage through your party members and through your support damage. It just will take a little longer and it isn't as hectic.

It isn't a bad thing taking longer tho. Longer battles means getting more drops and items after killing because you spend more time breaking appendages.

overdrive on foot is never long enough, but overdrive in the mech is just damn peachy. I could probably keep going for hours if i do it well enough.

It's more than long enough, infinite if you battle plan for it.

Vena

Post-game question:
I've been told by friends in Japan that the Ares-90 is actually outclassed by the custom skell line due to the weapon trees that are unavailable for the Ares, is this still true?

I know somethings were patched between versions.

Post-game question:
I've been told by friends in Japan that the Ares-90 is actually outclassed by the custom skell line due to the weapon trees that are unavailable for the Ares, is this still true?

I know somethings were patched between versions.

yes...
you can't change ares equipments... also, the thing that was patched is joker ticket farming

Renewed

I didn't look into Overdrive too much. All I did was slap on a longsword and the Ramjet rifle with Samurai Soul, Offensive Stance and some arts that add up to Incendiary Edge doing good enough numbers. Basically melted everything as I blitzed to the end of the story today.

If segments have anything that prove to be difficult I'll go cheese it happily. Until then, I need to collect this last lobster.

KarmaCow

Can you actually control how long overdrive lasts in a skell though? I though that you have some influence but it's still mostly rng if it will extend or not.

Syn23

Yep. I'm using a Dual Swords/Sniper Rifle build, so I cannot use Ghostwalker now. I'm spamming Blood Sacrifice, and Phantom Counter and Hellhound Skills (plus Crisis Catalyst and Red Zone for crits). The problem is that if I use it against normal enemies the fight is over in 10 seconds and against bosses, tyrants or stronger enemies I get killed.
The most fun I have is against large groups of weaker enemies.

Alright so chapter 7 boss, im doing pretty amazing at, until my teammates died, the boss was almost dead, but a human alone cant defeat the huge boss so I wasent hardly doing enough damage to it, but apparently im pretty good at the button prompt to save my mech, this most likely carried over from xenoblade, once I got use to the fact that i wasent using the wiimote and nunchuck and had to press the B button on the controller face, it has become alot easier and im falling into the groove again of just nailing perfects all day.

You guys think I should grind up to level 30? me, elma and lin are all level 27 and i bought mechs for both of them but I cannot use them, i wondered why and figured it must be because they were level 30 mechs
I beat that boss yesterday with just one Skell. Me, Elma and Lin were level 27 and the fourth character was around level 22, so it's definitely doable.

Funny thing: my Skell has around 5200HP and Lin has around 5100HP. She's almost tankier than a giant robot.

Yep. I'm using a Dual Swords/Sniper Rifle build, so I cannot use Ghostwalker now. I'm spamming Blood Sacrifice, and Phantom Counter and Hellhound Skills (plus Crisis Catalyst and Red Zone for crits). The problem is that if I use it against normal enemies the fight is over in 10 seconds and against bosses, tyrants or stronger enemies I get killed.
The most fun I have is against large groups of weaker enemies.

I beat that boss yesterday with just one Skell. Me, Elma and Lin were level 27 and the fourth character was around level 22, so it's definitely doable.

Funny thing: my Skell has around 5200HP and Lin has around 5100HP. She's almost tankier than a giant robot.
Ah. Didn't realize ghost Walker was stuck in dual guns. I am currently using dual swords and psycho launchers but I only had psycho launchers to get more electric damage out of the surge attack, which honestly I'm now regretting so I might end up going back to dual guns tbh. I just got seventh edge anyways so I should be able to build tp with that and blood sacrifice fairly well.

Jesus post-game goes full Gundam. And I love it.

Seriously? :O

xBukK8I.jpg

Can't wait. I just got my first Skell last night and getting to grips with the new combat options and movement. Feels so good and at the same time I'm glad I'm not a super powerhouse with it, especially when aggro-ing the higher level enemies that wouldn't have been before.

Last Skell License quest I have left is for 15000 credits in one go.

So from what I can tell, I need to get my revenue total to 15000 from putting research probes around? From my entire game time so far I've only found 3 rank 1 research probes (which I have linked), and then 1 each of rank 2, 4 and 5. Puts me at ~12900 total.

So how do I get more, just run around places I haven't explored and hope for the best?

Edit: Shuffled them around to the highest revenue nodes I had and got to 18000 and finished the quest :p

I think I just might be able to go with a potential High Entia look for some char.
I completely forgot about Celica when she came into the city, and my surprise when I gotten her into the team. I think she will get my angel wings.

TheMoon

my god. I'm already over 40 hours into the game and I'm barely about to start chapter 6 and there's still so much more to do. The list of to do is ginormous. The amount to explore is equally ginormous. Freaking insane. For comparison's sake: The Lost Story can be completed in 30!

This game makes the original Xenoblade seem like it was small.

Zelda Wii U has some big expectations to live up to now. Hopefully Monolithsoft is developing it again.

MonolithSoft isn't and never was developing Zelda games. They help out with some of them for field design (Tokyo studio) or art assets (Kyoto studio for the handheld games). All Zelda games are designed at EAD3 (now EPD).

The one thing I could say that would have been neat for Cross (end game):

At the end, Cross backs off and disappears.

This is what's weird to me. I have an inkling that the person in black that saves Lao is non other than Cross considering that he's missing for that sequence in the ending.

Also he acts super weird during the chapter 11 ending where he actually acts alone without any character input...because of Lao. hmmm

Vena

should be easier to get ares 90 first, then use it to farm for custom-60
I think

Well we'll see which feels worse or better.
Has any of the custome frames come out on top other than the usual Mastema/Amdusias when in doubt? Or are they generally pcik-your-poison enough to give me freedom to roll with Lailah or Urban and not feel like I am intentionally crippling myself? Can you do infinite overdrive Skell with anything other than Lailah/Inferno? That's usually why I prefer Lailah over the twin heavies.

Last Skell License quest I have left is for 15000 credits in one go.

So from what I can tell, I need to get my revenue total to 15000 from putting research probes around? From my entire game time so far I've only found 3 rank 1 research probes (which I have linked), and then 1 each of rank 2, 4 and 5. Puts me at ~12900 total.

So how do I get more, just run around places I haven't explored and hope for the best?

Edit: Shuffled them around to the highest revenue nodes I had and got to 18000 and finished the quest :p

They're generally quest rewards so be on the lookout for them when you're checking out the quest board.

Too much spoil for my eyes here :) will come back after fifty hours into this game.

(Bad) idea of the day: it would be great to have the LOST licence put onto this kind of game.
NLA would be the beach,
Primordia would be the jungle
and so on...

Zafir

Honestly, mute protagonists rarely ever does anything for me, and this game is no exception.

That all said, I don't think that's the biggest issue. The bigger issue is more that a lot of the characters just aren't utilised enough. Even when you have them in your party during missions they just stand there and don't say a word, even though in a lot of cases I'm sure they'd have a lot to say about what's happening in the current mission. I think it also negatively impacts Elma as well to a certain extent as she's never really put in a spot to see other sides of her.

It's tragic because I think a lot of the side characters have potential, but it's not really used to the extent it could have been.

AniHawk

just kinda fuckin around with planting probes and reading this thread i am realizing what i'm doing is baby steps compared to talk of overdrives and mining and what even is this.

reminds me of the first game where i started figuring out affinity stuff and gems sorta late into the game.

Falcs

Banned
As somebody who hates the whole silent protagonist thing, I am SO glad that Elma appears to be the main character so far.
My Avatar is fucking boring as shit. So lifeless and uninteresting. He might as well not even be there. Hell for a little while I considered just controlling Elma as my character and learning to use her instead but it didn't really work.

Hell for a little while I considered just controlling Elma as my character and learning to use her instead but it didn't really work.
I did this for a little while, but not for story or roleplaying reasons, but because the sniper class is incredibly boring to play as and I wanted to keep playing as a Full Metal Jaguar while leveling it up.

Now that I think of it, is the sniper class even any good outside of breaking parts?

NeonZ

I just finished the "False Hope" affinity quest... It really made me wish the game had higher budget for cutscenes, that final sequence was really dramatic, but hurt due to the limited animation of the models. Still, it was pretty strong, and continues the trend of the side-quest stuff being more enjoyable than the main story.

These are exactly my thoughts as well, im just the amnesic friend who trying to get Elma and Irina Sempai to notice me while they try and save the world, while i dick around during my off time a a Blade.

Im a guest star in their story.. and im fine with that

Besides.. all the other side quest characters pay attention to me so not like im completely invisible. Me and my home girl Alexa Outfitter homies

There's a bit of disconnect in that in the side-quests you ARE this famous rookie who becomes known for his talent and battle prowess, with people coming to rely on you or wanting you as their rival, but in the main story it's all 'Elma this', 'Elma that'.

The gameplay also clashes with Elma being the leader, since you're the one getting base upgrades, Skells, and such. I think the game would have felt much more consistent if the main character were just the hero in both the side quests and the main story.

This is particularly weird since there are a bunch of nonhuman species they could have made party members out of and given unique Arts and Skills to. It's especially striking in the case of a certain party member who could easily have been designed to use Skells in a different way.

They'd have needed to make new armor and gear for non-human characters though, which is probably why there are only humans and human-like characters.

Do these decisions/facial movements matter? Right at the beginning.

In the main story, no. They can be important in some of the normal quests though (the ones you initiate by talking with people somewhere in the world).

desu

Example of an infinite overdrive build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungSk06eous

QisTopTier has a great support build and his beam did 40k damage, but with an overdrive set up you can keep it going forever and consistently rack 20k per art with very little cool down times at all.

This is lower level, the damage you do gets ridiculously insane later one.

On the topic of builds for overdrive and TP, saw this yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1JGo9uDwfw ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_.../art_tp_gain_xx_augment_quick_craft_tutorial/ )

What is a fun ranged weapon type? I maxxed out Astral Crusader and while I enjoy the Javelin I don't really like the Sniper Rifle arts at all, which weapon type/class has fun ranged skills?

I feel XBX doesn't get enough credit for how charmingly goofy it is. From the residents of New LA being obsessed over Miralife trading cards to Army Pizza to that one dude who dreams of riding on the palm of Irina's Skell. There is just so much weird shit going on.

Thud

I feel XBX doesn't get enough credit for how charmingly goofy it is. From the residents of New LA being obsessed over Miralife trading cards to Army Pizza to that one dude who dreams of riding on the palm of Irina's Skell. There is just so much weird shit going on.

I wish those cards were collectible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom