• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, is anyone like me and taking their time. Think this is the first RPG I played for long time that I didn't want to rush and enjoy the game...Can't remember but I don't think i'm level 15 yet (12 or something).

wish I was at home playing it now.

160+ hours delaying chapter 10 not because I want to slow down but because I want my end game to be easier

I have more fun with a story when I don't redo fights

I want to see what NLA looks like with all the expansions finished

Parfait

The one drawback of beating the game is that you'll never get to pick how Tatsu is cooked today :(

Qpvtfub.jpg

LV60 for characters and Skells. You can reach 60 on characters before you finish the story but LV60 Skell blueprints won't unlock until after the story is complete.

why they bother capping at 60 with level 99 dudes outside the walls?

I promised myself an A90 for X
eno
-mas hope I make it

You can buy new head armour, not sure if it changes the looks of it but it might, all I remember is that every other head armour was worse than the one it starts with so I didn't even consider looks.

So I should go Heavy Skells? Can I change part of the design, at least? Like the heads? The one at the vendor is really ugly.

what they should have done is create a fashion mode for the Skell Parts just like they do gear that way we could choose the look we like for a Heavy or Light

Finally finished the last Story chapter at 92 hours, and Level 50 for my main team (with one at 47), and it wasn't easy.
I had to lower the difficulty in the last phase, lost 3 out of 4 Skells in my team beforehand, and the partner couldn't use it, or didn't want to.

The story was enjoyable as it was; Main plot was good, some plot holes aside, but the side missions were the real meat of the game. Gameplay took some getting used to, but there are a lot of customization options in terms of moves and weapons. Liked the music for the most part (though I wished you could toggle off the flight music), as well as most of the characters; yes, even Lin and, to a lesser extent, Tatsu (but I hate the ongoing "Linly wants to cook Tatsu" jokes). I also like that you're part of someone else's story not only helping the main characters with their mission, but being shared the spotlight rather than taking over or being left in the background. Best part is they sometimes let you choose how to go about a [side] mission and how it affects the outcome (the
helicopter
mission being an example of this) or share your opinion and get some reaction out of it (The
Nopon caravan
mission as an example of this).

But the best part, in my opinion, was the sheer size and scale of the world, and there is little loading time involved except for going to your barracks, missions, or fast-traveling.
That, itself, is impressive.

MAJOR Post-Story spoilers(!):
1)
Shame that Lao isn't an available partner anymore for obvious story reasons. I have Gwin and Alexa in his place, but still...

2)I would like to say that
True Form Elma is best Elma! I'm absolutely keeping that look for her.

Now it's onto the end-game stuff. I barely even touched the crafting stuff that let's you make your own gear and Skells, since I don't have enough materials anyway. Need to get to Level 60 to buy those Skells, increase my income and miranium production, try out the other weapon classes and, of course, join you guys for some online play.

Phew. I think I need a short break before coming back, since there are other games in my backlog to play but I don't want to put it down.

This was a really fun game, overall.

I feel like I've been slowly working towards this +25 seconds to overdrive augment for half the game. All I need is some Red Brandy and those turtle bastards just don't drop it. Is there a breakable part I'm missing, other than the face? I've only found 2 + a couple from tickets, and I need 12.

heavies just seem better to be honest. Part of it is just that I'm constantly fighting things way above my level so it's not like I'm going to be dodging much anyways.

I'm reading that light armor might be best for ground gear because it's more upgradeable, but before I get to at least level 45 it's not like I'm going to drop tons of miranium and other resources per slot onto gear upgrades.

Thanks for this reply.. Heavy it is!!!! Now I'll need to scrape money to get for Skell Gear.

Mupod

So near as I can tell the only 'missable' stuff is related to chapter 9. Spoilers for that chapter (obviously):
Lao leaves the party, assuming permanently since in retrospect he is very easy to max out affinity for and all his bonus Arts/affinity quests are unmissable

I saw this coming and didn't save after the end of the chapter,
so since then I've been going back and cleaning up random missions/leveling up Lao's affinity for his heart to hearts. They are pretty inconsequential and I don't think they affect percentage completion, but hey why not. I doubt there's anything at all important tied to him but if there is please let me know so I can take care of it before moving on.

Hasn't been a waste of time though, I've enjoyed a lot of these sidequests and I almost got enough hearts in
Nagi for Blossom Dance.
SOON.

Zafir

So near as I can tell the only 'missable' stuff is related to chapter 9. Spoilers for that chapter (obviously):
Lao leaves the party, assuming permanently since in retrospect he is very easy to max out affinity for and all his bonus Arts/affinity quests are unmissable

so since then I've been going back and cleaning up random missions/leveling up Lao's affinity for his heart to hearts. They are pretty inconsequential and I don't think they affect percentage completion, but hey why not. I doubt there's anything at all important tied to him but if there is please let me know so I can take care of it before moving on.

Hasn't been a waste of time though, I've enjoyed a lot of these sidequests and I almost got enough hearts in
Nagi for Blossom Dance.
SOON.
I didn't even get to watch his heart to hearts because Ive no idea where they were. Infact i don't know where anyone's is outside of Elma. That said i knew what i was getting into, i just accepted that i wasn't going to see them.

So I bought the 2 heavy frame level 30 Skells and tried one out and I don't like how clunky and slow the heavy frames feel. :/

I'll just give those two to Elma and Lin and I'll roll with the free one until I get more money to upgrade to a better light or medium one.

aravuus

The one drawback of beating the game is that you'll never get to pick how Tatsu is cooked today :(

More like the best reason to finish the game

I'm still legit baffled by how many times they repeated that joke. Even if they LOVED it back at the office, you'd think someone would have gone "hey guys, it's literally the 20th time we're making the same potato-Tatsu joke, maybe we should come up with something new?" lol

I didn't even get to watch his heart to hearts because Ive no idea where they were. Infact i don't know where anyone's is outside of Elma. That said i knew what i was getting into, i just accepted that i wasn't going to see them.
For future reference regarding heart to heart locations the speadsheet in the OP contains these. Now to get myself a dog...

oooh looks great! I'm glad those sketches weren't the cover.

do you know what the content description is?

With the help of translation machine and my limited knowledge of Japanese (still learning), it should feature official artworks, unpublished settings, interviews, production materials and short story written by Yuichiro Takeda, the chief scenario writer of XCX.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Any way to check completed quests?

Trying to do Yardley quest and house of cards but

I dont know if i already did Yardley.
I can't find him anywhere, but he is on my affinity chart.
House of cards isnt on the terminal.

I dont know what to do. :(

Jolkien

Any way to check completed quests?

Trying to do Yardley quest and house of cards but

I dont know if i already did Yardley.
I can't find him anywhere, but he is on my affinity chart.
House of cards isnt on the terminal.

I dont know what to do. :(

Took me a few reload (5-10'ish) of NLA and to the terminal to make the quest appear.

Finalow

lemme try again

- should I save money for when I get Skells and ignore new equipment?

- any gaf squad to play online with? So I maybe I can finally get some tickets. I assume I need to add a bunch of people?

I unlocked the flight module at like 1:30am last night. It was glorious. First thing I did was to fly around to some of the scenic viewpoints. I'm making so much money now that I'll easily be able to buy the level 50 skells once I get my level there.

Kinsei

Banned
lemme try again

- should I save money for when I get Skells and ignore new equipment?

- any gaf squad to play online with? So I maybe I can finally get some tickets. I assume I need to add a bunch of people?

No need to save your money. By the time you can buy skells you should be rolling in dough. Whne I reached level 30 I bought a skell, new weapons, a new armor set, and a full set of armor and weapons for my new skell.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
They really drove the ''Tatsu looks like a potato let's eat him'' to the ground. It wasn't that funny to begin with.
Especially since they started with that like 20 seconds after finding a bunch of dead bodies.

"Oh no, our squad mates were murdered by aliens. . . tee hee that little guy looks like a potato!"

Fandangox

I know lvl 60 Skell frames are after the main story is completed, but what about the integrated DLC quests? Didn't those have Skell blueprints at the end of the questline?

Jolkien

Got the skell I wanted at 60. Think I'm done with the game. 138 hours in total. The game ask a ridiculous amount of items to craft anything I don't think I'll bother. Way too grindy.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Everyone seems to be saying to get heavy skells.

Is there any reason to buy a light or medium one?

Jolkien

Everyone seems to be saying to get heavy skells.

Is there any reason to buy a light or medium one?

I use light and medium for my level 30. They really don't cut it at 50 for anythign post game. Even in the last chapter they died pretty fast, last chapter was still a joke difficulty wise tough.

If you wanna do some post game you absolutely need heavy only.

I am almost ready to start chapter 10

I hear you can miss some missions for
the Leo guy

Did I already miss them?

I tried to google a list by character but no luck

Shun

There are too many damn Psycorruptor party members and I unlocked them all and used them all...

Irina, Celica, Mia, Hope...

Effect

I'm increasing enjoying how the world is setup. Most game worlds are clearly designed for the player in regard to how they'll go from A to B, etc. While some of that is present here it increasingly feels you are entering the territory of these creatures and that they've staked out their own corner of an area. You have some just grazing and others that seems like they're actively patrolling their borders. The npcs actually talks about this and how you really are forcing these creatures out of their habitats. It's one thing to say it though and another for the game world to actually reflect that and to make you feel that really is the case.

I really like that in order to get to some areas you have to sneak pass or rush pass some creatures. I like to imagine it as if they've found a good and dry spot and were strong enough to take it and keep it from all the other creatures in the area. So you have to go through their territory to get where you need to go and back to creatures that are more your level. Love stuff like this.

JCX

Just got past Chapter 5

The
mims reveal
explained a lot of the perceived plot holes I had early on about the whole re-colonization plan. Really raised the stakes to find the lifehold

- Music is great so far, haven 't run into a track I hate yet. I even kind of enjoy that weird barnyard Tatsu song

- Underestimated the impact of affinity missions. They're hurt by the weird choice to just have the characters stand completely still

Some negatives

- no easy load save option. Used it a lot in original XC when trying to face a boss.
- Really miss Vision/Chain attacks, but battles are much faster in XCX
- Having to find party members. They should be swappable once you gain the option to have them in your party. Unnecessary tedium in a game that mostly gets time saving right.

Is there an auto-optimize equipment option in this?

ugoo18

After seeing some of the prices thrown around here i'm considering whether i should just hold onto my money till i'm lvl 50 and then buy the lvl 50 skells for my MC and team.

Nagi for Blossom Dance.
SOON.

I heard there's a lot of other kinda missable stuff, inconsequential maybe but still...

For example in the quest where
you choose to spare or kill a den of baby pigs, if you spare them, the quest giver NPC dies permanently. This isn't exactly a missable I suppose, but it does lose you an NPC.

And I've heard there are a lot of breadcrumb quests that are there to take you back to base to pick up a new main quest, and they do have checkmarked/tracked entries, something like that.

Chaos17

I'm increasing enjoying how the world is setup. Most game worlds are clearly designed for the player in regard to how they'll go from A to B, etc. While some of that is present here it increasingly feels you are entering the territory of these creatures and that they've staked out their own corner of an area. You have some just grazing and others that seems like they're actively patrolling their borders. The npcs actually talks about this and how you really are forcing these creatures out of their habitats. It's one thing to say it though and another for the game world to actually reflect that and to make you feel that really is the case.

I really like that in order to get to some areas you have to sneak pass or rush pass some creatures. I like to imagine it as if they've found a good and dry spot and were strong enough to take it and keep it from all the other creatures in the area. So you have to go through their territory to get where you need to go and back to creatures that are more your level. Love stuff like this.

Same!
Some reviewers and players felt frustrated about that but for me it's a BIG pro of the game. As the player I'm adventuring into beasts territory as a stranger, that's not dysney land but really Jurassic park :)

I think we can all agree that a silent protagonist didn't meant that you had to be basically the background character in "the adventures of lin and elma"

Nobody really talks to you during main mission and affinity quests that involve Elma/Lin.

Yeah, if they had an approach more like in Persona 3 or 4, it would've been better.
The Mc is also silent but he still matter.
Or just let us be Elma, lel

It runs fine, just long load times

you sure you can't even download just the 2GB basic pack?

For some reason my console just refuses to download them and repeatedly gives a server error, despite the fact I literally just downloaded Fast Racing NEO the other day. If it's just long load times that it remedies though then I don't mind dealing with that!

khaaan

LOL, is anyone like me and taking their time. Think this is the first RPG I played for long time that I didn't want to rush and enjoy the game...Can't remember but I don't think i'm level 15 yet (12 or something).

wish I was at home playing it now.

I'm similar, trying to get as many side quests out of the way as possible before continuing on with the main story. About 5:30 in, level 10-12, in the middle of Chapter 3. I've gotten most of the quests given from the node computer thing and I've taken on a couple of NPC quests as well. The game has so many systems and it's a lot to take in, I need to read up on how to build up NLA, so far I've only dumped a little bit of Miranium into the weapons development (AF development..I think? It said something about how just equipping stuff will get me points?) but I haven't checked to see what else I can dump points into.

Does every octagon on the map have a fast travel point? I've unlocked a few by just walking normally and finding a landmark, other times I just set the beacon if my level is high enough. There are some where I feel like I've explored most of it but they don't unlock the fast travel point. For some of them I'm guessing I have to climb up onto one of the mountains but I can't because to get to the one I want I have to cross a land bridge meaning I have to climb a different one which in turn means it's often guarded by high level indigens :(

For some reason my console just refuses to download them and repeatedly gives a server error, despite the fact I literally just downloaded Fast Racing NEO the other day. If it's just long load times that it remedies though then I don't mind dealing with that!

I had issues with that too, are you trying to download all the packs in one go? I found the large bundled download caused issues but when I broke them up and downloaded one at a time I ran into no issues.

Somnid

Some negatives

- no easy load save option. Used it a lot in original XC when trying to face a boss.
- Really miss Vision/Chain attacks, but battles are much faster in XCX
- Having to find party members. They should be swappable once you gain the option to have them in your party. Unnecessary tedium in a game that mostly gets time saving right.

Is there an auto-optimize equipment option in this?

-You don't need a load save option, if you die, the game just resets you at the nearest landmark with everything you had gained intact.

-In the ground gear menu you can press X to get a new menu which contains an "equip strongest" option and also the fashion gear menu which lets you override the look of your armor.

What race is Elma supposed to be? Latin, maybe?

It doesn't matter but I'm curious. Looks darker than a tan, but her face structure is the same as every other character. Due to this she kinda looks ganguro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom