• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are the OP arts for this game guys?

also gems

it is time for me to get revenge :)

If you want to do ridiculous damage in ground gear focus on potential, TP generation, and anything that boosts damage for TP arts. Then wait until a party member is asking for that type of art, use the TP art and see the life of enemies just fly down.

As to gems, I focus on getting potential up, TP generation and melee accuracy because of this.

My only issue is I don't know how to get more engineering augment options. Like i currently can only create Potential Up V from scratch.

69wpm

I think I'm going insane. Where the heck is the Flight Module mission? I've already completed chapter 10 and don't see it. I want to get that thing before I start chapter 11.

Vena

I think we can all agree that a silent protagonist didn't meant that you had to be basically the background character in "the adventures of lin and elma"

Nobody really talks to you during main mission and affinity quests that involve Elma/Lin.

You're still pivotal, but you're not the protagonist but the enabler. You're a red shirt.

Oblivia's storms are so beautiful, wowser. That screenshot upthread doesn't capture it's full majesty. Really gotta see it in motion to properly experience it.
The main thing with the Storage probes is that Boosters and Duplicators work on them. Duplicators also duplicate Boosters. So for example there's a really obvious Duplicator spot in Oblivia - it's got 2 Sightseeing spots and 4 connections to other nodes. Say you put a Duplicator there, a G2 Booster to its south, a Storage to its north, a Research to its southeast (this also has 2 Sightseeing spots), and then whatever you want to its northeast (let's just ignore this one for now). You're getting income from the equivalent of 8 Sightseeing spots and the capacity of 4 Storage nodes. I have that and Storages attached to some of my other Duplicators, with a total capacity of about 52.5k. I only just learned that you could link Storages so I might move the ones attached to Duplicators off to a separate chain. What I really need are more Boosters - I only have two.

Basically just aim to put Research probes on Sightseeing spots and Duplicators at big intersections that have Sightseeing spots with neighboring Sightseeing spots, Boosters next to Duplicators, Storages next to Duplicators or Boosters, and then Mining everywhere else since you have a billion of those probes.
I am bookmarking this post for future Oblivia discoveries.

Good work.
You're still pivotal, but you're not the protagonist but the enabler. You're a red shirt.

It's honestly refreshing, at least up to where I'm at in Ep 4.

Considering I'm the guy doing 99% of the damage and the one fucking buying skells for them like daddy fucking warbucks, at the very least stop asking elma for fucking every decision and ask for mine. And yes, my decision will always be to boast about how I can kill everybody in the room without them.

Because it's true.

If you want to do ridiculous damage in ground gear focus on potential, TP generation, and anything that boosts damage for TP arts. Then wait until a party member is asking for that type of art, use the TP art and see the life of enemies just fly down.

As to gems, I focus on getting potential up, TP generation and melee accuracy because of this.

My only issue is I don't know how to get more engineering augment options. Like i currently can only create Potential Up V from scratch.

Sounds good

I hear the Nopon AM raises what you can craft higher

Vena

It's honestly refreshing, at least up to where I'm at in Ep 4.

Considering I'm the guy doing 99% of the damage and the one fucking buying skells for them like daddy fucking warbucks, at the very least stop asking elma for fucking every decision and ask for mine. And yes, my decision will always be to boast about how I can kill everybody in the room without them.

Because it's true.

I personally like not being the "chosen one". Doesn't prevent me from kicking ass at all. I don't need the game to tell me I am special. :p

Just got Tatsu. I already want to fucking strangle him, which probably isn't a good sign.

Well, I mean, how else will you
season
him? It's not like he'll sit still for you.
I personally like not being the "chosen one". Doesn't prevent me from kicking ass at all. I don't need the game to tell me I am special. :p

Yeah, pretty much. With how missions are structured, it's hard not to admit that Elma is leading the squad. A player's agency can only go so far in objective-based games.

Plus Elma's pretty rad. She can have the spotlight.

KarmaCow

I kind of agree with all his main points. While there's added complexity to the combat that I like, I do not feel it flows as fluidly as XC. Kind of intangible so far as to why, but it feels clunkier.

Yea the combat is weird. There is clearly more to it than in XC but it felt like there were more clearly defined roles in XC that gives something solid to grasp and it was fun to switch around different characters. It's kinda jumbled mess of arts in XCX and you need to futz around to find interesting setups. Also not that XC wasn't basically MMO style waiting on cooldowns but soul voice system is even more amplified version of that, sloppily trying to make battles feel dynamic.

I'm not saying you have to be special.

I'm saying that when every single major NPC seems to matter more than you in these cutscenes, and people acknowledge tatsu more than they acknowledge you, it's an issue. Everybody is in their own little world growing closer together as buddies and friends and you're basically the guy they ask the occasional question for as yes, a red shirt.

I love normal missions because in those you are the focus, people come to you and ask for help from you. Not Elma or Lin.

Gotchaye

Overall there's a lot I like about this game, but there are a whole bunch of unforced errors. I'm also in the Xenoblade-was-better camp. One thing that sticks out for me is that while they clearly spent a lot of time making the combat and stats system more involved, they so completely failed to communicate how it actually works that they almost shouldn't have bothered - I expect that I'm not alone in leaving characters with the same piece of equipment for dozens of levels because it's not worth trying to figure out if some new thing is actually better. The other standout issue is the way that every character is a mix-and-match of one of six ranged and melee weapons. Characters feel much less distinct to me, especially when you put them all in Skells anyway where there's even less variety. This is particularly weird since there are a bunch of nonhuman species they could have made party members out of and given unique Arts and Skills to. It's especially striking in the case of a certain party member who could easily have been designed to use Skells in a different way.

random25

As far as the role MC is concerned, I really like it. It's just a change of pace and deviate from the common JRPG tropes. And it makes me feel like I am playing as myself, not somebody else's life.

As for Elma and Lin taking the spotlight in the story instead of the MC, it makes it all the more better. I mean, they are technically the superior officers and they show it. I affect the story a bit in terms of change in dialogues and such, but still I like that in this game, the superior officers of an organization show competence. Elma is my sempai, and she notices me, so all is fine in Mira.

HiroTSK5

In my post game I've decided to design my Skell around my beast fighting and the Amdusias' weapon of choice being the Scythe, tonight Gherman joins the hunt.
O0tv23J.jpg

Qurupeke

Actually, I feel like they didn't explain anything at all about the combat. Even when they introduced you to it, it's basically "Hey, use arts and skills to beat this". They don't explain at all what the various stats do. Soul voices of the + menu were barely mentioned. After 100 hours, I learned yesterday that you apparently can take control of other characters.

Dad

I don't really mind playing sidekick in the story. My bigger gripe is that I don't think Elma is a strong enough character to carry the entire narrative on her shoulders, particularly since she can almost exclusively interact with Lin, Tatsu, and whatever dumb expression my guy decides to emote. She has an extremely limited range of emotions and her only real defining traits are being "badass" and modest

As far as the role MC is concerned, I really like it. It's just a change of pace and deviate from the common JRPG tropes. And it makes me feel like I am playing as myself, not somebody else's life.

As for Elma and Lin taking the spotlight in the story instead of the MC, it makes it all the more better. I mean, they are technically the superior officers and they show it. I affect the story a bit in terms of change in dialogues and such, but still I like that in this game, the superior officers of an organization show competence. Elma is my sempai, and she notices me, so all is fine in Mira.

you can be a less important character than another one and still not be a ghost. Look at the Witcher series, or even Final Fantasy X. Where in the grand scheme of everything they don't matter as someone else or multiple people who hold much more influence, but you are still recognized and acknowledged at least amongst your friends.

Won't point to you, but I feel that some folks are equating saying that hating that you hold no influence whatsoever that folks with this mindset automatically want to be the Jesus leader figure. That's not true. I dislike this aspect of bioware titles. I enjoy being unimportant in the global scheme, but at least being relevant to a small group of people would be appreciated. And I don't mean the occasional Elma/Lin asking you "what do you think?" after they've had every important conversation with other characters and what you say won't matter.

exfatal

These are exactly my thoughts as well, im just the amnesic friend who trying to get Elma and Irina Sempai to notice me while they try and save the world, while i dick around during my off time a a Blade.

Im a guest star in their story.. and im fine with that

Besides.. all the other side quest characters pay attention to me so not like im completely invisible. Me and my home girl Alexa Outfitter homies

Gotchaye

Elma worked fine for me. But I guess my bar for jrpg characters is pretty low. Worth noting that, outside of her interaction with Tatsu, Lin was by far the best young prodigy girl character I've seen in basically anything that's come out of Japan. Other characters are often horribly overwritten. Tatsu is terrible.

The plot actually held together somewhat well, which surprised me. The only thing that struck me as weird in a way that's not a genre convention is that the game basically assumes that none of these characters ever talk to each other except when the camera's on them.

Because it's true.

So your character is an oafish, violent, loud-mouthed braggart who's bitter about often being overlooked when it comes to making the hard choices. They're also a key member of an elite group and despite the bitterness they are motivated enough to do the brunt of financing and organising the group while being a warrior with abilities far beyond even the legendary Elma.

Shun

It depends on your play style.

TP is extremely necessary but potential and TP arts don't always do the most damage because it takes longer to get TP that way.

Overdrive combos in this game are where you do the most damage because of all the extensions and bonuses you get.

Your overall damage can go into the 300,000+ if you go into overdrive. Overdrive is the most exploitable feature in the combat system.

The combat system is also much much better than the original Xenoblade. It takes more investment but it's much better.

Mendrox

Actually, I feel like they didn't explain anything at all about the combat. Even when they introduced you to it, it's basically "Hey, use arts and skills to beat this". They don't explain at all what the various stats do. Soul voices of the + menu were barely mentioned. After 100 hours, I learned yesterday that you apparently can take control of other characters.

They explain almost everything for the battle system... it was even a bit too much for me because I played Xenoblade Chronicles and it is a bit the same. For everything else there is the E-Manuell which is really good. Also is this your first JRPG? I think they knew that players know that you have to change the first character in the character screen to control them and also... why even bother to organize their artes if you cannot use them? ;-) It was right in your face all the time.

Game surprises me and surprises me. I was at every continent now, did almost all affinity quests avaiable to me (almost got to Hopes second one too! Just a bit more affinity needed) and I got my Skell yesterday. Should I buy another one with level 30? I have 6 Millionen so I can take it a bit farther I guess. :D

Game is GOTY for me, just right before Bloodborne and The Witcher 3.

So your character is an oafish, violent, loud-mouthed braggart who's bitter about often being overlooked when it comes to making the hard choices. They're also a key member of an elite group and despite the bitterness they are motivated enough to do the brunt of financing and organising the group while being a warrior with abilities far beyond even the legendary Elma.

Don't forget my heart of gold if you dig deep enough.

Why won't people love me.

It depends on your play style.

TP is extremely necessary but potential and TP arts don't always do the most damage because it takes longer to get TP that way.

Overdrive combos in this game are where you do the most damage because of all the extensions and bonuses you get.

Your overall damage can go into the 300,000+ if you go into overdrive. Overdrive is the most exploitable feature in the combat system.

The combat system is also much much better than the original Xenoblade. It takes more investment but it's much better.

I guess this is the upside of having Fullmetal jaguar where I can insta-get 1000 TP+ from using arts and then just do whatever I want throughout the battle as I'm always generating TP fairly fast.

69wpm

then go to the mission board and look for the mission that deals with the flight module. You should have gotten a pop-up after beating chapter 9. If it isn't there, just exit and enter again. The list refreshes.

Thanks a ton. Never got a pop-up for that thing and I was running around like an idiot.

random25

you can be a less important character than another one and still not be a ghost. Look at the Witcher series, or even Final Fantasy X.

Won't point to you, but I feel that some folks are equating saying that hating that you hold no influence whatsoever that folks with this mindset automatically want to be the Jesus leader figure. That's not true. I dislike this aspect of bioware titles. I enjoy being unimportant in the global scheme, but at least being relevant to a small group of people would be appreciated. And I don't mean the occasional Elma/Lin asking you "what do you think?" after they've had every important conversation with other characters and what you say won't matter.

I am not aware much of how the Witcher series handle MCs. It's not a JRPG though so I kinda not consider it, with the way Japanese devs handle their RPG stories and such.

As for FFX, while it's no Tidus' journey, it certainly is Tidus' story as in having the biggest focus in the game. Him being the love interest of Yuna, being the son of Jecht, being a star player of the main mini-game, being a guy that had to be dragged out by his father's best friend from another dimension, all that jazz. Things center around him for the most part.

Of course I do get your point in like the MC should be a little more involved in story interactions. I would also like that as well. I just don't think that Elma and Lin taking the spotlight is a bad thing like some people think.

I've been playing this on and off during my free moments, and I'm immensely impressed with its world design. Most open world games have dull worlds to me, and feel like prefab assets plonked down on procedurally generated terrain. This year GTA5, Witcher 3 and MGS5 made pretty good strides towards a world that feels "designed", and Xenoblade X seems to go another step further. Mountains, lakes and all sorts of elevation feel deliberately placed, and feel great to traverse. Then once you're able to leave Primordia, the look and feel of the other areas really fuel my drive to explore and soak in the environment.

I'm getting the polar opposite impression from the characters sadly enough. They feel very prefab, as if they're made using the same character creation tools as we used. Their characterisation is fine, and I'm enjoying the missions of the characters that have them, but a lot of the character designs themselves look a little bit duller than I had expected. It gives the whole game the feel of an MMO.

H.B. is so bad for me too. He allows me to be a cold, pedantic jerk, and get validation for it.

Shun

Don't forget my heart of gold if you dig deep enough.

Why won't people love me.

I guess this is the upside of having Fullmetal jaguar where I can insta-get 1000 TP+ from using arts and then just do whatever I want throughout the battle as I'm always generating TP fairly fast.

Tony has the right idea ghost walker + long sword or any other melee of your choice = infinite overdrive bonuses and your damage can go on forever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Elma worked fine for me. But I guess my bar for jrpg characters is pretty low. Worth noting that, outside of her interaction with Tatsu, Lin was by far the best young prodigy girl character I've seen in basically anything that's come out of Japan. Other characters are often horribly overwritten. Tatsu is terrible.

The plot actually held together somewhat well, which surprised me. The only thing that struck me as weird in a way that's not a genre convention is that the game basically assumes that none of these characters ever talk to each other except when the camera's on them.

Elma was fine if the player was the MC, but she did need to be more well defined considering the player is playing second fiddle to her.

I did like Lin as well, they did a great job with her and I didn't expect that.

Shun

Example of an infinite overdrive build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungSk06eous

QisTopTier has a great support build and his beam did 40k damage, but with an overdrive set up you can keep it going forever and consistently rack 20k per art with very little cool down times at all.

This is lower level, the damage you do gets ridiculously insane later one.

You eventually get into the 300,000s and if you're really crazy millions since it's infinite. And you don't need to worry about dying at all because Ghost Walker is GOAT support ability.

There are tons of different examples and builds, this is just to show how broken Overdrive is.

Haunted

The main thing with the Storage probes is that Boosters and Duplicators work on them. Duplicators also duplicate Boosters. So for example there's a really obvious Duplicator spot in Oblivia - it's got 2 Sightseeing spots and 4 connections to other nodes. Say you put a Duplicator there, a G2 Booster to its south, a Storage to its north, a Research to its southeast (this also has 2 Sightseeing spots), and then whatever you want to its northeast (let's just ignore this one for now). You're getting income from the equivalent of 8 Sightseeing spots and the capacity of 4 Storage nodes. I have that and Storages attached to some of my other Duplicators, with a total capacity of about 52.5k. I only just learned that you could link Storages so I might move the ones attached to Duplicators off to a separate chain. What I really need are more Boosters - I only have two.

Basically just aim to put Research probes on Sightseeing spots and Duplicators at big intersections that have Sightseeing spots with neighboring Sightseeing spots, Boosters next to Duplicators, Storages next to Duplicators or Boosters, and then Mining everywhere else since you have a billion of those probes.
I didn't know sightseeing spots were so key to research probes.

Really wish you could rearrange and try out various combinations without punishment. Moving around higher level probes is fucking expensive at a point where I need to save up every credit for a lvl 50 Skell.

Haunted

I enjoy the fact that Elma is the main character in the story and you're just a pretty good soldier working under her, in her team.

That narrative setup does clash sometimes in non-story missions, when you recruit Elma to your team the roles are weirdly reversed (and she starts calling the player character sir/ma'am), but the game plays it really loosely with the hierarchies in this "military" setting in the first place, so whatever.

Finally someone else who shares this pain. I absolutely hate the camera movement in tight quarters. At the very least there should be an option to change the sensitivity when indoors if it's going to be so drastically different.
I actually messed around in the options for a good long while before realising that indoor camera speed cannot be changed. Baffling decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom