• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I like how you can scale some mountains/hills by just jumping across the small outcroppings and try to stealth your way up
This is one of my favorite parts as well. Nothing is off limits and you aren't restricted to the one right path to get somewhere.

Makes it feel like there is some actual danger and risk in your adventure.

TDLink

So I've got to ask...do any of the avatar voices echo Dunban in any way when using Blossom Dance? Like saying "Against the odds" or something?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I like how you can scale some mountains/hills by just jumping across the small outcroppings and try to stealth your way up

Managed to reach a "skell only" data probe site by doing some mountain climbing/cliff scaling reminscent of WoW or an older Bethesda game. Felt kind of cool trying to work up my way up odd angles on a cliffside that was not meant to be traversed, yet did not have me slide off either.

55 hours in, I should really drop the sidequests and affinity missions and get my Skell already...

Jolkien

So are heavy skells really the best ones? Is there any downside to them besides maybe lower evasion?

They are by far the best one at least for level 50. I won't bother farming and testing the level 60 one. They outlast other types so much it ain't even funny. And a dead Skell does 0 damage so go with heavy.

Jolkien

Skell question: Just hit 30, should i buy the Verus with the G-Buster or the Amdusias with the Scythe and why?

G-Buster for one shot potential. It really both works but a good G-Buster hit can make or break a fight with an ennemy way higher level than you. I was 30 and farming level 50 with one. Wasn't one shotting them but the opening burst put me ahead and if I got cockpit time it was super easy.

I played with the scythe too and I loved it. Another Skell in my lineup has it. But I go with G-Buster with melee atk and accuracy buff as well.

StAidan

I'm taking this game real slow, but enjoying the heck out of it. I haven't even started chapter 3 yet.

Funny story about doing Yelv's affinity quest this weekend (the one to get him as a party member)... Mission C had me hunting down 5 Metal Blattas. Pretty simple-sounding until I saw the quest markers on the map. I spent HOURS looking for a way to reach Headwater Summit (by way of... Fallshorn Isle, I think it's called?). Well, Fallshorn Isle has a bunch of bridges connecting it to the larger landmass, but all the bridges that are reachable from NLA (as a starting point) are guarded by level 30-40 Grexes that can 1-shot a level 15 scrub like me.

Anyway, I soon figured out that getting past the Grexes was pretty much impossible. So I explored around Fallshorn Isle probably 4 separate times from all angles, getting really salty the whole time because why are they handing out an un-abandonable quest like this to someone who is clearly too low-level to reach the destination?

So then the funny part: I actually managed to cheese my way up to the top of the Isle by finding one tiny climbable area of the cliffs (that I'm sure was in the game unintentionally). I snuck my way past all the level 50-ish beasts and crossed the final landbridge to Headwater Summit. Then I reach the quest marker spots, and... NOTHING. There's NOTHING THERE, after hours of trying to reach this dang lake. I wandered around the area for a full 24-hour cycle to make sure.

That's when I realized, my destination wasn't Headwater Summit at all. There's a cave right under my virtual feet that was totally reachable BENEATH the cliffs, meaning I never needed to reach Fallshorn Isle at all, let alone Headwater Summit.

lol...

Makonero

I'm taking this game real slow, but enjoying the heck out of it. I haven't even started chapter 3 yet.

Funny story about doing Yelv's affinity quest this weekend (the one to get him as a party member)... Mission C had me hunting down 5 Metal Blattas. Pretty simple-sounding until I saw the quest markers on the map. I spent HOURS looking for a way to reach Headwater Summit (by way of... Fallshorn Isle, I think it's called?). Well, Fallshorn Isle has a bunch of bridges connecting it to the larger landmass, but all the bridges that are reachable from NLA (as a starting point) are guarded by level 30-40 Grexes that can 1-shot a level 15 scrub like me.

Anyway, I soon figured out that getting past the Grexes was pretty much impossible. So I explored around Fallshorn Isle probably 4 separate times from all angles, getting really salty the whole time because why are they handing out an un-abandonable quest like this to someone who is clearly too low-level to reach the destination?

So then the funny part: I actually managed to cheese my way up to the top of the Isle by finding one tiny climbable area of the cliffs (that I'm sure was in the game unintentionally). I snuck my way past all the level 50-ish beasts and crossed the final landbridge to Headwater Summit. Then I reach the quest marker spots, and... NOTHING. There's NOTHING THERE, after hours of trying to reach this dang lake. I wandered around the area for a full 24-hour cycle to make sure.

That's when I realized, my destination wasn't Headwater Summit at all. There's a cave right under my virtual feet that was totally reachable BENEATH the cliffs, meaning I never needed to reach Fallshorn Isle at all, let alone Headwater Summit.

lol...

This game is pretty awesome like that, yeah. :p

Jolkien

Yes, but I'd advise against using it. Doesn't seem to take augments into account at all.

It's by far in recent years the worst implementation of ''strongest gear''. It only take into account raw defense, not resist or anything. At one point it was changing my gear to have 19 more defense but I was losing like 40 points of resistance ane 35 melee attack power and 20 accuracy. Such a useless feature.

Somnid

Yes, but I'd advise against using it. Doesn't seem to take augments into account at all.

Choosing gear in general is difficult. Like you might have upgrades on old equipment but it's so hard to figure out when to start over and if the upgrade potential is worth it and when to stick with what you got.

Also I still have no idea what the bottom right icon (purple swirly shape) means. Negative is apparently better but I couldn't find it in the manual.

Pejo

So wow, this game!

This is the first time I've put significant time into a game over a weekend in a long time. It feels very cozy. The music consistently surprises me, even when the vocals kick in. Battle system gets really fun once you unlock a bunch of arts and skills. The danger in the world keeps you on your toes even in lower level areas. Really liking it!

I just got my Skell license last night before bed and took it for a spin. I had a buttload of skell weapons from grinding on those robot ants, so I got to try out a bunch of stuff, but so far skells are mildly disappointing. I hear the level 30 ones are when they get good though, so I'll just keep playing.

I read through some spoilers in the thread when I probably shouldn't have, but found out you eventually lose
Lao, which bums me out. He was my permanent 4th party member pretty much all the time. Also, he was one of the few characters designs that weren't awful, imo.

I've been trying to get a bunch of the probes planted over the past day, but constantly get frustrated by the high terrain and not being able to find a way up. I think in the future, I'm just going to get what I can get to easily, and only enough to progress the story. I'll clean up the rest when I can fly.

JCX

-You don't need a load save option, if you die, the game just resets you at the nearest landmark with everything you had gained intact.

-In the ground gear menu you can press X to get a new menu which contains an "equip strongest" option and also the fashion gear menu which lets you override the look of your armor.

Sometimes the closest landmark is far from where I actually died, or the path between contains high level enemies that were tricky to sneak by. It's a feature most RPGs have, including Xenoblade, so I'm not sure why they got rid of it.

Good to hear about the auto optimize, one of the things I wanted in the original (unless it was hidden in a menu there too).

StAidan

This game is pretty awesome like that, yeah. :p

The best part about it is that it wasn't really wasted time. I got to plant a probe on Fallshorn Isle, giving me a fast travel point there whenever I want it. I got to explore a large area, visit a bunch of wreckage/bio survey sites, and gain a few levels while doing it.

I've also got probes up in Noctilum and Oblivia, I love being able to explore at my own pace and just pick up the story missions when I feel like it.

Jolkien

Sometimes the closest landmark is far from where I actually died, or the path between contains high level enemies that were tricky to sneak by. It's a feature most RPGs have, including Xenoblade, so I'm not sure why they got rid of it.

Good to hear about the auto optimize, one of the things I wanted in the original (unless it was hidden in a menu there too).

I really don't recommend you using it. Or at least don'T use it blindly. It seems to only gauge defense, no other stats,

Faster fuel consumption I think.

They are by far the best one at least for level 50. I won't bother farming and testing the level 60 one. They outlast other types so much it ain't even funny. And a dead Skell does 0 damage so go with heavy.

Fuel consumption I guess. I really liked the look of the light ones and went with it. Gave the heavy ones to my team.

Ah gotcha. I tend to prefer the look of the light/medium ones over heavy, but... hmm, might give my team heavies and just use the other ones myself. I don't know yet. I've only purchased 2 lvl30s so far.

Somnid

It would put you at the nearest landmark anyway. Saves are also landmark based. If you find yourself traveling more than a segment you probably want to search for landmarks closer to where you want to go.

JCX

I really don't recommend you using it. Or at least don'T use it blindly. It seems to only gauge defense, no other stats,

I probably won't, most helpful for when I get new party members. I upgrade equipment about once or twice per chapter.

With all the systems in this game, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff. Maybe I'll pause to figure it out once I get a skell.

aravuus

It's by far in recent years the worst implementation of ''strongest gear''. It only take into account raw defense, not resist or anything. At one point it was changing my gear to have 19 more defense but I was losing like 40 points of resistance ane 35 melee attack power and 20 accuracy. Such a useless feature.

Yeah, after a couple of dozen hours with the game, the option would have equipped me with worse equipment in literally every way stat-wise. Figured something was up with the option when all I saw was big red minuses lol.

Definitely the worst implementation I've seen in a long time.

Jolkien

Ah gotcha. I tend to prefer the look of the light/medium ones over heavy, but... hmm, might give my team heavies and just use the other ones myself. I don't know yet. I've only purchased 2 lvl30s so far.

Yeah I prefer the Verus look by far, there's just some things I couldn't do in it. For your 30's tho you can probably get away with anything. At 30 I was running a medium, elma a light and Lin a heavy. I had a second medium for the fourth member I brought along.

I went with all heavies when I changed them for level 50 frame. Expensive but it was worth it. I farmed my Ares.90 in a few hours.

Lexxism

It's available at any time. Press X in the equipment screen to bring up the sub menu. Fashion Gear is there.

Only in the Japanese version. The west get it right away.

Nope, it's there from the start, I think you press X in the equip menu.

No, I don't know if its activated at a certain point but to me it felt like it was always there.

Available right from the start.
Oh. I didn't know that. I thought it was after the game. So it's only Japanese version.

Vhalyar

Spent around three hours getting my survey rating of Noctilum to 30% pre-skell, only to realize that the quest I was doing required 30% of Oblivia. No regrets tho.

h0tp0ck3t

42 hours in I finally decide to check out Sylvalum. Man that place is amazing.
Gotta leave my Skell on the beach though, assholes keep one shotting it lol

So uh, for the flight skell module quest, am I fighting the fight things for the drop? The things flying in the air? I need the Light-Speed Jet Fin.

Dineren

Banned
So uh, for the flight skell module quest, am I fighting the fight things for the drop? The things flying in the air? I need the Light-Speed Jet Fin.

Are you fighting the dolphin (never really looked that close) looking things that float over the river in Oblivia? That is what drops it. You can also buy those with tickets in the barracks I believe.

Slathe

How do you unlock more augment recipes and more weapon development recipes? I seem incapable of making any more than I originally started with.

Reposting above question. This thread moves fast.

Also any suggestions on getting more storage probes, or is it quests and treasure like the other types?

Qurupeke

Alex vs Eliza spoilers
Alex died, wow. I hope I didn't fuck the choices somehow and there was a better ending...

Is it possible if I could see an update on what your probe layout across the five maps looks like now?

Actually, I destroyed it in order to build more miranium storage and now I make around 180K again. lol I just found an extra duplicate probe and placed it in Oblivia to expand it. The rest was more or less the same, minus some good spots in Cauldros and Sylvanum.

Are you fighting the dolphin (never really looked that close) looking things that float over the river in Oblivia? That is what drops it. You can also buy those with tickets in the barracks I believe.

Just buy the things with reward tickets. It's better than having to do solo fighting.

I found the things I'm supposed to fight now, but I'm thinking about just buying them with tickets yeah. ><

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I finished chapter 9 and I have a question
aside from Lao heart to hearts I won't miss anything if I finish the story then go back to finish all my quests after? You don't get locked out of any of that in the postgame right? I already know that after you finish the game the world goes on and you can continue playing.

Someone who uses overdrive in ground gear very effectively can you explain how you extend overdrive? Do you use the color the gear thing turns to so you extend it or do you simply do the same color combination over and over again to extend overdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom