• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Finished Chapter V finally
I liked it better when Wild Arms 1 did it. Also my char would of never sacrificed themselves for fucking Tatsu

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's true, but I always feel like the follow ball takes away some of the fun of hoofing it through an unknown territory. I like seeing the little blue dot on the mini map and kinda figuring out the path for myself. Kinda reminds me of how Metroid Prime worked, now that I think about it.

But yeah, I probably do waste a decent amount of time not using it much.

I honestly don't use it much myself, but if I find myself trying to get into an area and it's surrounded by level 50 dudes who want to eat my face I'll just use it to check and see if I'm going the right way.

Vena

So something from the story that after thinking about it, sticks out to me:

The fact that there is no Lifehold, makes a lot of the deaths in the game/quests a lot more permanent doesn't it?

Cross is the only character who doesn't actually remember himself, out of all NLA this is the only time you see an amnesiac. This stuck out to me more than just "hurr durr silent protag" because of a few reasons:
(1.) You're the seemingly the last survivor found (to the point where they had given up hope of ever finding anyone else).
(2.) No one else has lost memories.
(3.) Your amnesia is extreme, to the point that you didn't even know you were a Mimesome.
(4.) There is no Lifehold Core for you to be synced with, nor is there seemingly any record of you. Every other character has a pre-WW record. You don't exist, both figuratively in the history of the game or more jokingly in the main story. (This is what really sticks out to me. Where did Cross come from at all given the story's conclusion. Everyone in LA knows who they were because Mira seemingly effectively moved everyone's memories/souls into the Mimesomes from the computer frame. So why is Cross empty? Its almost like a Cross wasn't part of the White Whale, like a fabrication of Mira (of which we run into many).)
(5.) We know Mira is changing the rules of the game. Its why everyone is even alive, why the alien races can speak to each other so easily, and it prevent Prof B from leaving. Its like its stuck in time.
(6.) There are a few other details in quests and such which make you out to be a "solution" to a bunch of different species or interspecies problems/savior. Professor B needs you. The Orphe need you otherwise they'd have gone extinct. The Ma'non needed you. The hazmat dudes needed you as well.
(7.) Elma the all-knowing didn't know you, your amnesia, or anything about you for that matter.
(8.) Elma is the source of the Ganglion fear/troubles, but Cross is the actual hammer that breaks everything. Why didn't you exist before Mira? Why wasn't some of Cross' talent enlisted as a soldier? He was obviously a crew member of the whale... but then why does no one know him?

Your character is basically Mira's (the planets) avatar and end-game solution to keeping several races alive against the odds. If you weren't found, a lot of scenario change as, while you may not be directly appreciated, play a pivotal role in several key moments (particularly at the end where autonomy is stripped from the player to save Lao).

Knowing Takahashi, I don't want to say this is coincidence. I think this is the vestige of what used to be the main character Cross was before he became a mute/nameless protagonist. To a degree I think its actually a better form for the story to take if Cross was meant to be an eventuality system of Mira or glitch in the system. This is like Shulk + Monado revelation stuff but more subded, rather than being god, you are a more literal force of nature from the planet.

I'm already at around 70 hours, with my true non-idle playtime being closer to 64 hours. This game just has so many things for players to do...

One thing I'm realizing is that the areas that looked fun to traverse due to scary overleveled monsters are becoming rarer now that I'm level 43, and that's a real shame. I still had to get the hell away from a couple lv 90 monsters in northern Noctilum, but most of my map traversal is really safe now (g-busters are so overpowered it isn't even funny). Even prone camps full of level ~48 stuff are safe as long as I don't battle too many enemies at once, and I'm no longer tempted to run away from most tyrants.

Earlier today I beat the mission where you'd rescue a BLADE's cat, but then I stopped paying attention to the dialog at the end of the mission and only got to hear Elma saying "you'll see in due time", which got me curious about what she might've been talking about and kind of frustrated that there's no way for me to check what happened outside looking for that cutscene in YouTube.

I ran into this problem too until I found that Sylvalum seems to be the actual end-game zone with how it stratospheres in levels as you go up. I'm level 55 and there are several regions I still am not confident in entering in Sylvalum because of the mob density, bosses, and levels therein.

Another question. For the life of me I cant find hope. I did her quest and gained her as a partner but now i cant find her. Shes supposed to be either at the park or church but i cant see her

Rich!

This game is without a doubt the biggest game I have ever played

And I've only explored a tiny bit of the first three regions. I spent three hours yesterday just aimlessly exploring Noctilum, found a cave, spent half an hour exploring that, was ambushed, noped out and then promptly fell off a cliff, and landed in a huge waterfall region

Like whaaaaaaaat. This shit makes makna forest look like a playpark

And unlike say, Eryth Sea, every piece of the scenery is densely populated and filled with stuff to see and do. And battle. It's mind blowing.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This game definitely has problems but for me the exploration aspects more than make up for it. Can't wait to see this in 1080p some day.

Dineren

Banned
Another question. For the life of me I cant find hope. I did her quest and gained her as a partner but now i cant find her. Shes supposed to be either at the park or church but i cant see her

There is a tree with flowers planted around it that I've also seen her at. I think it is south of the church. If you can't find her you might just need to change the time of day and she should end up back at the park eventually.

zroid

Banned
Question about May's second mission:

I picked the Redwood Aprica thing because I figured I could just get them with reward tickets whereas I think the other items were collectibles. Then after I delivered them, she said to get that other item that you could choose... Magic something. What happens if you picked that one to begin with?

actually it turned out I already had that Magic thing in my inventory without realizing, so wondering if I wasted all those reward tickets if I had just picked it to begin with, lol.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member

The fact that there is no Lifehold, makes a lot of the deaths in the game/quests a lot more permanent doesn't it?

Cross is the only character who doesn't actually remember himself, out of all NLA this is the only time you see an amnesiac. This stuck out to me more than just "hurr durr silent protag" because of a few reasons:
(1.) You're the seemingly the last survivor found (to the point where they had given up hope of ever finding anyone else).
(2.) No one else has lost memories.
(3.) Your amnesia is extreme, to the point that you didn't even know you were a Mimesome.
(4.) There is no Lifehold Core for you to be synced with, nor is there seemingly any record of you. Every other character has a pre-WW record. You don't exist, both figuratively in the history of the game or more jokingly in the main story. (This is what really sticks out to me. Where did Cross come from at all given the story's conclusion. Everyone in LA knows who they were because Mira seemingly effectively moved everyone's memories/souls into the Mimesomes from the computer frame. So why is Cross empty? Its almost like a Cross wasn't part of the White Whale, like a fabrication of Mira (of which we run into many).)
(5.) We know Mira is changing the rules of the game. Its why everyone is even alive, why the alien races can speak to each other so easily, and it prevent Prof B from leaving. Its like its stuck in time.
(6.) There are a few other details in quests and such which make you out to be a "solution" to a bunch of different species or interspecies problems/savior. Professor B needs you. The Orphe need you otherwise they'd have gone extinct. The Ma'non needed you. The hazmat dudes needed you as well.
(7.) Elma the all-knowing didn't know you, your amnesia, or anything about you for that matter.
(8.) Elma is the source of the Ganglion fear/troubles, but Cross is the actual hammer that breaks everything. Why didn't you exist before Mira? Why wasn't some of Cross' talent enlisted as a soldier? He was obviously a crew member of the whale... but then why does no one know him?

Your character is basically Mira's (the planets) avatar and end-game solution to keeping several races alive against the odds. If you weren't found, a lot of scenario change as, while you may not be directly appreciated, play a pivotal role in several key moments (particularly at the end where autonomy is stripped from the player to save Lao).

Knowing Takahashi, I don't want to say this is coincidence. I think this is the vestige of what used to be the main character Cross was before he became a mute/nameless protagonist. To a degree I think its actually a better form for the story to take if Cross was meant to be an eventuality system of Mira or glitch in the system. This is like Shulk + Monado revelation stuff but more subded, rather than being god, you are a more literal force of nature from the planet.

I ran into this problem too until I found that Sylvalum seems to be the actual end-game zone with how it stratospheres in levels as you go up. I'm level 55 and there are several regions I still am not confident in entering in Sylvalum because of the mob density, bosses, and levels therein.

For your point # 4 & 7 *ENDING SPOILERS*
Personally, I believe there are 2 scenarios:
1. You lose your memories due to the damages that were done to the database.
2. The game is intended that you, the person behind the gamepad, is the one that is remote controlling the mim. Why or how is this possible? It is because of Mira or "this planet" as Elma put it.

Anyway, this is just how I view it. I would love to see what people think!

R.D.Blax

Question about May's second mission:

I picked the Redwood Aprica thing because I figured I could just get them with reward tickets whereas I think the other items were collectibles. Then after I delivered them, she said to get that other item that you could choose... Magic something. What happens if you picked that one to begin with?

actually it turned out I already had that Magic thing in my inventory without realizing, so wondering if I wasted all those reward tickets if I had just picked it to begin with, lol.

She ask you take go find the other thing regardless of your first choice

zroid

Banned
This game is without a doubt the biggest game I have ever played

And I've only explored a tiny bit of the first three regions. I spent three hours yesterday just aimlessly exploring Noctilum, found a cave, spent half an hour exploring that, was ambushed, noped out and then promptly fell off a cliff, and landed in a huge waterfall region

Like whaaaaaaaat. This shit makes makna forest look like a playpark

And unlike say, Eryth Sea, every piece of the scenery is densely populated and filled with stuff to see and do. And battle. It's mind blowing.

I think I know exactly the cave and ambush you're talking about :lol

I had to shadowrun past it :D

aravuus

What happened to the magical machine that could create creatures out of thin air? Was it permanently destroyed when monster Lao fucked things up and it started spewing out those things? It was 4am when I finished the game and I was already kind of sick of the story so I must have missed something, cause I can't recall the machine getting destroyed

Frodo

About probes, what is that Battle Support stat?

Is there some other kind of probes other than Mining, Research, Duplicator and Storage?

if you've gained affinity with her then she's at one of many places throughout the city at different times of the day for a heart to heart.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
What happened to the magical machine that could create creatures out of thin air? Was it permanently destroyed when monster Lao fucked things up and it started spewing out those things? It was 4am when I finished the game and I was already kind of sick of the story so I must have missed something, cause I can't recall the machine getting destroyed

I believe he/she is referring to
The scene after the ending credits

Well, in my quest for some spherical EM motors I finally found a route somehow to this part of Noctilum:

This proper chopper quest got me really sidetracked from the main story. :p

In today's play session, I got the spherical EM motors rather quickly for a collectible that's supposed to be rare. Luck's on my side today.

Then I decided to pick up an affinity quest that starts in NLA but quickly changes to "Oh, please go to Sylvalum." That was quite a swim from Primordia. O_O

jgwhiteus

I couldn't find this information elsewhere - what are the requirements for triggering heart-to-hearts, besides showing up at a certain place / time without the character in your party? Do you need to have affinity levels to see later conversations? Do you have to complete certain chapters?

I had the first heart-to-hearts with Irina, Gwin, Elma, Lin, and Doug, and I'm above one-heart affinity for all of them, but for some reason I haven't been able to see any of their second heart-to-heart conversations, despite showing up at the designated places / times I found in the master Google Docs spreadsheet.

I don't think you need the map segments to update because I saw the first ones without having an NPC comment on them / updating the map.

JulianImp

Yeah, that area is obviously geared towards the late-game, but it's boring that the other continents no longer feel like a place where I could get ambushed and die any moment. Being at the top of the food chain is certainly not as thrilling as shitting your pants because of stuff such as a random tree that turns out to be an overpowered bug of doom.

About probes, what is that Battle Support stat?

Is there some other kind of probes other than Mining, Research, Duplicator and Storage?

Yeah, I just got a probe that increases your skell's fuel recharge rate in the area it's placed in by completing a myranium request mission (that asked for about 10K), and I guess there must be a couple other ones as well.

Jolkien

I couldn't find this information elsewhere - what are the requirements for triggering heart-to-hearts, besides showing up at a certain place / time without the character in your party? Do you need to have affinity levels to see later conversations? Do you have to complete certain chapters?

I had the first heart-to-hearts with Irina, Gwin, Elma, Lin, and Doug, and I'm above one-heart affinity for all of them, but for some reason I haven't been able to see any of their second heart-to-heart conversations, despite showing up at the designated places / times I found in the master Google Docs spreadsheet.

I don't think you need the map segments to update because I saw the first ones without having an NPC comment on them / updating the map.

There's an affinity requirement. Sometimes an animal requirements as well. Some appear to be only trigger-able when you are solo.

Renewed

Some of them require you to have pets in your Barracks (ie. dog, cat). You can get them after you do the affinity mission "Nine Lives" which is in the northern commercial district. Then you start taking the missions on the board that usually say Pet Rescue or something.

aravuus

I believe he/she is referring to
The scene after the ending credits
I understood that the Zohar-looking thing in the core where you fight the final boss contained a snapshot of everyone's consciousness from earth? And the ones from the stinger contained the mim user's "current" consciousness, the one that's controlling the mims and learning new information which it would retain when transferred to an actual body.

So essentially they could recreate everyone forever, just that every time they died, they'd go back to pre-WW times mentally.

But yeah, like I said, it was late. I was tired. I was not paying much attention.

jgwhiteus

There's an affinity requirement. Sometimes an animal requirements as well. Some appear to be only trigger-able when you are solo.

Some of them require you to have pets in your Barracks (ie. dog, cat). You can get them after you do the affinity mission "Nine Lives" which is in the northern commercial district.

Cool thanks - I do have pets already (multiple cats and a dog), though I guess I might have to change which pet is "active" in customization for some? I'll make another attempt at the places / times on the Google Docs spreadsheet, with characters I have high affinity with (I think I'm already at 4/5 hearts with Lin and Elma).

hiryu64

My friend is getting this for me for Christmas, and he wants to know whether I want the disc or digital version. I'm aware of the existence of the data packs to minimize the load times for the physical version, but I want to know if there's a comparison of load times between the physical version with data packs and the digital version. Also whether it would be better to install to the internal flash memory versus USB (I do have a 32 GB unit, so I can go full digital on the internal memory if possible). Generally, I avoid digital for consoles--especially Nintendo--but if the performance difference significantly favors digital, then I'll probably just go that route.

JulianImp

Some of them require you to have pets in your Barracks (ie. dog, cat). You can get them after you do the affinity mission "Nine Lives" which is in the northern commercial district. Then you start taking the missions on the board that usually say Pet Rescue or something.

Thank you so much. I asked about pet missions yesterday but the thread scrolled by so fast that it looks like nobody noticed my post in time. I had completed the Nine Lives mission today in the morning, so I guess I'll go hit the mission board next time I play.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I understood that the Zohar-looking thing in the core where you fight the final boss contained a snapshot of everyone's consciousness from earth? And the ones from the stinger contained the mim user's "current" consciousness, the one that's controlling the mims and learning new information which it would retain when transferred to an actual body.

So essentially they could recreate everyone forever, just that every time they died, they'd go back to pre-WW times mentally.

But yeah, like I said, it was late. I was tired. I was not paying much attention.

*ENDING SPOILERS*

Basically in the end credit, Elma went back to the Lifehold to check on the "memories" of all the mims, which is apparently kept in a different database bank. The Zohar thing, holds the conciousness/soul of the survivors, but not their memories.

Seriously we need a spoiler thread. I'm scared to post all of these up ><

Can you still play online? Offline mode seems to work for me but if I try to go online it goes back to freezing.

It's not letting me play online, it still freezes. Right now I'm just glad that I can actually finish the game. I'll keep trying though, might be some server issues, don't know.

Jolkien

Ennosuke

You know what? When they announced the Wii U, I thought "damn this will be awesome to use the map on the gamepad". I own the Wii U since release and this is the first time, that the gamepad does something really useful, which is annoying in other games.

zroid

Banned
CWNRh5AU8AAG1NT.jpg

Hope this gets released in NA, but I may import if necessary.

zroid

Banned
You know what? When they announced the Wii U, I thought "damn this will be awesome to use the map on the gamepad". I own the Wii U since release and this is the first time, that the gamepad does something really useful, which is annoying in other games.

Have you played Mario Maker :p

JulianImp

Just reached the end of Chapter 5

Uh...what? Huh? Wow.

And the music is still overbearing. >_<

That's a reveal whose impact was greatly lessened by
the MC not having any spoken lines at all, and thus not screaming in pain as his/her arm was torn from his/her mimeosome body
, IMO.

Vena

Thats just the mainframe. After the credits its turns out the Lifecore was destroyed years ago. There is nothing there but that machine that can generate biomatter. The humans are all dead sans the ones in mims whom were, seemingly, saved by Mira and exist in their mims.

So anyone who dies... Is dead. Theres no promised backup or body. They were alive in theirs mims.

Everyone can now get real bodies and transfer back in but the dead are dead for good.

69wpm

Yeah, that area is obviously geared towards the late-game, but it's boring that the other continents no longer feel like a place where I could get ambushed and die any moment. Being at the top of the food chain is certainly not as thrilling as shitting your pants because of stuff such as a random tree that turns out to be an overpowered bug of doom.

Yeah, I just got a probe that increases your skell's fuel recharge rate in the area it's placed in by completing a myranium request mission (that asked for about 10K), and I guess there must be a couple other ones as well.

I have 2 and I think I'm gonna get another one when I start up the game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom