• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgwhiteus

So what's the disadvantage of Skells? I go my level 20 one and it dominates. Can handle level 30 enemies and what not. Does the level mean less than your characters level and what they can fight?

As time goes on the longer cooldowns for Skell arts become a disadvantage compared to a good ground build that has accelerated cooldowns and can get to Overdrive constantly. At the moment my Longsword-wielding character with Offensive Stance, True Stream Edge, etc. and skills like Secondary Accelerator and Aura Assault can deal way more damage over time than a Skell that uses G-Buster and has to wait a minute to use it again (though I bet if I had better skell gear that wouldn't be as much of an issue).

Also, some fights don't allow you to use Skells, or are against several small enemies where it's more efficient to fight on foot.

NeonZ

So what's the disadvantage of Skells? I go my level 20 one and it dominates. Can handle level 30 enemies and what not. Does the level mean less than your characters level and what they can fight?

The only disadvantage is, well, nothing. They cost money if they're destroyed, after the first 3 times - but the free insurance won't drain up if you get a perfect on the prompt or they're being piloted by npcs. There's also the fuel issue, which needs miranium, although it won't come up with the lvl 20 one, since it doesn't have access to the best weapons that use more fuel.

Depending on your build and current level the lvl20 one quickly falls behind, but the other ones afterwards are all great and you'll only need to fight without them in some caves and a couple of story battles.

Haunted

I don't really understand the Overdrive concept

I do not seem to benefit me at all
There's a little bit of text to the left and right when you activate overdrive that will actually tell you the (usually four?) immediate benefits you'll get depending on your gear and setup.

hQrzONP.png

you can kinda read it in that picture

"Zero Fuel Use"
"Melee Weapon Attack Up"
"Component Regen"
"2x Damage Reflect: Physical"

There are also behind the scenes benefits when you combo different colours with each other, someone posted a chart earlier in the thread.

Mega

Banned
Unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm ready to quit at chapter 5 because I don't have time to grind levels all day for minimal gain. Do I need to grind for more levels or is there a trick to getting past all the enemies? I have all the best equips and abilities currently at my disposal and have spent plenty of time grinding for levels and doing side missions. I'm at a loss at the big jump in enemy levels AND their quantity. I read something about getting past enemies with a non-aggro move but that seems really cheap like I'm gaming the system instead of playing properly.

Fandangox

I don't really understand the Overdrive concept

I do not seem to benefit me at all

Depending on the Skell Frame you have it will have different benefits, such as healing, taking more damage, dealing less damage, recovery of appendages, etc. Plus you have more chance of going into the cockpit view, which refreshes the cooldown of all your arts, and makes you invincible during the duration.

For Ground Gear there's a list that gives you the color bonuses of using overdrive (such as Orange Art on succession giving more EXP)

It was posted somewhere in the thread, but I can't remember where it was.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I'm ready to quit at chapter 5 because I don't have time to grind levels all day for minimal gain. Do I need to grind for more levels or is there a trick to getting past all the enemies? I have all the best equips and abilities currently at my disposal and have spent plenty of time grinding for levels and doing side missions. I'm at a loss at the big jump in enemy levels AND their quantity. I read something about getting past enemies with a non-aggro move but that seems really cheap like I'm gaming the system instead of playing properly.

uuuh.. you are not supposed to fight those enemies, you are supposed to go around them. There's a reason why when a quest sends you to fight something inside a high leveled area the actual objective you have to fight is at much lower level.

CSX

Played for a couple of hours last night...

Why are there only two types of cutscenes? Cutscene with zero bgm and then cutscenes where the bgm is so loud you can't really hear what the characters are saying.

...or is it all deliberate throwback to Xenosaga 1?

Klyka

Banned
Played for a couple of hours last night...

Why are there only two types of cutscenes? Cutscene with zero bgm and then cutscenes where the bgm is so loud you can't really hear what the characters are saying.

...or is it all deliberate throwback to Xenosaga 1?

The game has very VERY bad audio mixing and no volume controls at all

zroid

Banned

just to add to what was said above,

there are very few enemies in the game which you NEED to fight to get past them

also what level are you actually? you should probably be around 20 for chapter 5.

Jims

Chapter 5 can be a little tough with all the enemies it throws at you. The one turret (on the opposite side of the canyon from the other two), the enemies really are deliberately too high leveled. I think you gotta sneak around the back to get there. For a couple of the turrets in the middle of the bases, I found that you really have to pick and choose carefully which foot soldiers to take on. That area, they're much lower leveled (like Level 20, I think?). I generally avoided all of the mech walkers completely if I could, and see if there's either a stealthy way around or a way where I could take out 2 or 3 soldiers without creating too much aggro in the area. Just kinda look at paths and see if there's a way through by defeating just 1 or 2 specific guards.

If you're not strong enough to take out the individual prones standing guard (the lower-leveled ones), I'd say you probably gotta do a little grinding. Maybe Level 18-20 should be enough, can't remember precisely.

There's a little bit of text to the left and right when you activate overdrive that will actually tell you the (usually four?) immediate benefits you'll get depending on your gear and setup.

hQrzONP.png

you can kinda read it in that picture

"Zero Fuel Use"
"Melee Weapon Attack Up"
"Component Regen"
"2x Damage Reflect: Physical"

There are also behind the scenes benefits when you combo different colours with each other, someone posted a chart earlier in the thread.

Depending on the Skell Frame you have it will have different benefits, such as healing, taking more damage, dealing less damage, recovery of appendages, etc. Plus you have more chance of going into the cockpit view, which refreshes the cooldown of all your arts, and makes you invincible during the duration.

For Ground Gear there's a list that gives you the color bonuses of using overdrive (such as Orange Art on succession giving more EXP)

It was posted somewhere in the thread, but I can't remember where it was.

uuuh.. you are not supposed to fight those enemies, you are supposed to go around them. There's a reason why when a quest sends you to fight something inside a high leveled area the actual objective you have to fight is at much lower level.

ok that is pretty cool

Chastten

Banned
So, finally got time some decent time in today. Grinded and quested a couple of hours to get my main party from level 51 to 58. Also did the first quest to get my probe skill thingy to 5 and got my first level 50 skell. So, couple of questions:

I got all my arms manufacturers to the max, is the level 55 gear they sell any good? Or should I grind it somewhere?

Any tips for good Skell gear and where to get it? I'm having a lot of green and blue stuff, but I keep hearing people about these special items (orange or something?).

zroid

Banned
could someone explain how duplicator probes and booster probes work in concert?

Let's just use this as an example:

Code:
{booster}---{duplicator}---{storage}
                 |
                 |
                 |
             {storage}

Does the booster's effect on the duplicator probe yield an effective result of 2 normal storage probes + 2 boosted storage probes?

Or does the duplicator probe ALSO duplicate the booster probe so that it boosts the two adjacent storage probes as well, and you get a net result of 4 boosted storage probes?

or am I totally off base here. shit's complex mang.

Wait...I don't understand what you're trying to say here at all.

When I fight the global nemesis, I get drops from them, which AFAIK can only be used for turning in for tickets.

Also at the end of the week or whatever, they leave and a new Nemesis shows up and you get 90-something parts from them, which I guess are used for crafting.

What am I supposed to do at what time to get extra tickets? Am I supposed to NOT turn in the normal parts I get for tickets until the end of the week or something?
There are no extra tickets.

If you don't turn in the appendages for tickets it gives you one ticket for each and empties your nemesis spoils. Consider the appendages tend to be worth 25 or more that if you trade them in normally it is an insult especially as the event doesn't warn you at any point that it will do that to the appendages if you don't trade them in.

There are no extra tickets.

If you don't turn in the appendages for tickets it gives you one ticket for each and empties your nemesis spoils. Consider the appendages tend to be worth 25 or more that if you trade them in normally it is an insult especially as the event doesn't warn you at any point that it will do that to the appendages if you don't trade them in.

Ah, ok. Yeah I already knew that...I'd read someone frustrated with it earlier, how they lost everything.

Jackano

Can someone post a pic of that G-Buster thing please?
I'm trying to figure out what it is/farm it. But I don't play in english and google doesn't help much with such a common term.

Can someone post a pic of that G-Buster thing please?
I'm trying to figure out what it is/farm it. But I don't play in english and google doesn't help much with such a common term.

not in the game atm but it's large big sword on shoulder... go check verus (bunny skell) default right shoulder weapon

Qurupeke

I would have an ares 90 after two runs getting 1k per. Are you doing it solo?

I didn't really try solo, I was in a full team 4xProg Ares for 3 runs, just because it was pretty effortless. The appendages were destroyed in seconds and then I would just basically spam various combos and overdrive.

Thanks guys. I think I figured it out. Why are people farming a thing that come by default with the Verus?
And I got a shotgun x sniper like weapon that deal way more damages than this. So I will check this out later.

chance of getting better quality with better augment combination

So has anyone gone down the enforcer class to mastermind? I figured the class would be helpful but not feeling the weapons or skills. Only a level 9 enforcer right now.

Mastermind's final skill is -50% secondary cooldown timers, which if you can fit into a build, is real nice.

Oh fuck you game, you can't just give me a character called Murderess and not expect me to use her in every battle no matter how many times she literally shoots me in the back. That's cheating.

arimanius

I'm leveling through the Mastermind class now. Skills are...a little lackluster tbh. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Healing my teammates is nice but I feel like I give up way too much damage by staying in this class. Was forced to switch back to Duelist to get past a story boss.

Yeah I'm not seeing the healing being worth the damage reduction.

Mastermind's final skill is -50% secondary cooldown timers, which if you can fit into a build, is real nice.

That does sound nice but I don't know if it's worth it for just one skill.

Mega

Banned

Chapter 5 can be a little tough with all the enemies it throws at you. The one turret (on the opposite side of the canyon from the other two), the enemies really are deliberately too high leveled. I think you gotta sneak around the back to get there. For a couple of the turrets in the middle of the bases, I found that you really have to pick and choose carefully which foot soldiers to take on. That area, they're much lower leveled (like Level 20, I think?). I generally avoided all of the mech walkers completely if I could, and see if there's either a stealthy way around or a way where I could take out 2 or 3 soldiers without creating too much aggro in the area. Just kinda look at paths and see if there's a way through by defeating just 1 or 2 specific guards.

If you're not strong enough to take out the individual prones standing guard (the lower-leveled ones), I'd say you probably gotta do a little grinding. Maybe Level 18-20 should be enough, can't remember precisely.

Thanks for responding.

Level 21 for the 3 mains. I have no trouble with the small groups of humanoid aliens and bots. It's the large mechs that cause problems; they're around level 28-30 and unpredictably powerful at times. I can sometimes kill them on their own but it's a drawn out battle and it may attract other enemies... or sometimes the mech alone inexplicably fast KOs my team. On my way to the second turret, there are several mechs spaced out and blocking all obvious paths. I'll take the advice and see if there's some other way. May have been relying a bit much on the scout ball.

And I never played an RPG where "don't fight the enemies in the area where you're supposed to be" was a viable strategy, lest you end up under-leveled later on. I know I shouldn't engage an unrelated lv 40+ monstrosity in the vicinity of a mission where I'm meant to kill some lv 18 bird, but I assumed the mechs were meant to be tackled since they're Prone tech and grouped closely with the Prone grunts. For example, the very first one (tyrant?) is patrolling a narrow valley with only one approach. If this is common throughout the game, I will keep it in mind but it's worth noting that this isn't entirely obvious to a beginner.

Whizkid7

Yeah I'm not seeing the healing being worth the damage reduction.

That does sound nice but I don't know if it's worth it for just one skill.

Mastermind's really not that great for bosses since the class is largely focused around using Brainjack, which bosses are immune to. Against anything that isn't immune to Control effects, though? It's amazing. And depending on your build, the skills in that tree are all extremely useful (especially Secondary Accelerator).

Mastermind isn't meant to put out insane damage. It's meant to cripple your opponent with debuffs galore and then mind control them.

The Goat

Finally got my wifi issues sorted, and got the game installed. Took me a few fights to get the flow of combat. Once it clicks though, it's really fun. The world is great, and I love the scale.

I really hope the cutscenes subside, because they really don't add anything, and really slow the pace. Currently getting my ass handed to me in Chapter 4. Not sure if I need to level more, or if I'm just not handling the combat correctly.

So much stuff to learn!

rhandino

Banned
What's the weapon damage? If it's beam then it'll devastate enemies skells.
Ooooooh! I have one big sword (it takes all the back weapons slots) that does beam damage but I changed it for the other one that do 12000.

Will change it since I was fighting a lot of skells with the beam one and I do noticed that it was more effective.

Damn, the Skells really change everything and I still tendo to fight on foot a lot.

Officially hit the 40 hour mark and just... wow. I feel like I've just barely scratched the surface of what this game has to offer. I've only explored a little over 30% of the first three continents and only just finished chapter 8 of the main story.

At first, I find myself just doing the Affinity Missions and just randomly wandering through the fields, until I realized just how much depth and story there were to even the Normal Missions. Despite them not being voiced, I still feel a connection to the NPCs I help out and the tasks I find myself doing are all meaningful to grand scheme of things. It's cool seeing the world itself change as you slowly knock out these missions.

My only gripe so far is how much of a pain the item collection tasks are. It would be nice for the Collectopedia to list not just the continent the items are found but also specific regions as well. It's very tedious how to found a specific item when the just lists a whole continent, so I'll accept the missions and just ignore them until I just so happen to stumble upon them doing other things.

Whew, sorry for such a long post for quick thoughts, but this game truly is amazing. When I'm finished or close to end game, I'll start up the Xenosaga trilogy I recently scored off eBay.

Fandangox

Thanks for responding.

Level 21 for the 3 mains. I have no trouble with the small groups of humanoid aliens and bots. It's the large mechs that cause problems; they're around level 28-30 and unpredictably powerful at times. I can sometimes kill them on their own but it's a drawn out battle and it may attract other enemies... or sometimes the mech alone inexplicably fast KOs my team. On my way to the second turret, there are several mechs spaced out and blocking all obvious paths. I'll take the advice and see if there's some other way. May have been relying a bit much on the scout ball.

And I never played an RPG where "don't fight the enemies in the area where you're supposed to be" was a viable strategy, lest you end up under-leveled later on. I know I shouldn't engage an unrelated lv 40+ monstrosity in the vicinity of a mission where I'm meant to kill some lv 18 bird, but I assumed the mechs were meant to be tackled since they're Prone tech and grouped closely with the Prone grunts. For example, the very first one (tyrant?) is patrolling a narrow valley with only one approach. If this is common throughout the game, I will keep it in mind but it's worth noting that this isn't entirely obvious to a beginner.

Nah there are plenty of examples like this, if your level and gear is high enough you _can_ take them on, but the game doesn't really expect you to.

There's a few sidequests like this, one had you infiltrate a somewhat high leveled base (comparable to the earliest point you could get this quest) but only to sneak in and kill a single target.

While other has you infiltrate another base of 55-65 enemies to fight a trio of level 38 enemies.

CrisKre

I wanted to share with you guys my impressions of XCX and why it has a place on my game of the year list:

XCX is to the Xeno series what Majoras Mask is to Ocarina Of time.

A game that at first glance bewilders and confuses its players, but that with some player investment becomes a whole so thought out, so intricate and intimate, that it trancends the norms of its respective genere.

Here is a game that throws all gaming conventions of the last 5 to 10 yesras out the window. A game that doesn´t hold player´s hands in the slightest. A game that above all else rewards exploration and player initiative, all within the confines of its premise: you are humanities last remnants, stranded in an alien planet, fighting for survival. It comes as no surprise, then, that the player is initially at a loss as to how it all works.

Exporing is of VITAL IMPORT here, as it should, and its rewarded by the game´s design in spades. Peril abounds. The surprising thing is how Monolith Soft managed to balance this, and soon, you start to feel more powerful and confident, understand the intricacies of this new planet and society, and become more and more attuned to the many wonders Mira offers. Its been a long long time since I felt so invested in a gaming world and felt a part of a bigger whole in an RPG.

I predict that, just like Majoraá Mask, players will look very very fondly on this masterclass of an RPG with a unique approach down the line because of its uniqueness, scope and sheer beauty of the world and creatures.

arimanius

Mastermind's really not that great for bosses since the class is largely focused around using Brainjack, which bosses are immune to. Against anything that isn't immune to Control effects, though? It's amazing. And depending on your build, the skills in that tree are all extremely useful (especially Secondary Accelerator).

Mastermind isn't meant to put out insane damage. It's meant to cripple your opponent with debuffs galore and then mind control them.

Yeah which was why I was trying it out. My guy is still enforcer 9 but I wasn't seeing the advantages of the lower damages yet. So I was just checking to see if it would still be worth pursuing or just go back to a damage class.

So.... I am crazy enough to create a second playthrough now (male character this time). Anyone else started a second playthrough?

Nah, that's a bit much for me right now. Not enough would change to really make it worth doing this soon after completing the game. A year down the line, maybe. I've finally just 100%'d the world survey and have gotten into min-maxing and seeing the numbers go up is too much fun. I'll just keep switching genders daily like I originally planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom