• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just beat chapter 5 and spent some significant time in Oblivia.

It's fucking breathtaking there. I thought I was through with desert open worlds after getting completely sick of MGS V's Afghanistan, but this is on a whole other level. It reminds me of the best parts of Journey and Shadow of the Colossus.

I love this game.

Man walking into Oblivia for the first time during a sandstorm was amazing. Then it cleared up a little further in and then you see that giant chasm in the middle and then the music kicked in and I was just like man is this for real right now. So good.

No we were fine when you first joined.

Even got 511 rp

Yeah, either we somehow got progressively worse/worse luck or his RP hit some threshold that increases difficulty. Either way, I don't remember ever seeing a gravity spike on top of his gravity. That was way more DoT than I was mentally ready to handle lol.
Anyways, Good runs guys. We should try this again some time.

Vena

Yeah, either we somehow got progressively worse/worse luck or his RP hit some threshold that increases difficulty. Either way, I don't remember ever seeing a gravity spike on top of his gravity. That was way more DoT than I was mentally ready to handle lol.

Well thanks to today's runs. I am almost done with the Boost.EVA Frame Augment (the 25% boost) which means I will be able to move points out of eva to other things from my weapons. I'll also look into some Ether Res down weapons for these runs.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member

Definitely any time. I'll be on every night. Either on main or second char.

GG guys!

El Odio

Banned
Man, when you first get the flight module and start flying around Primordia it just completely repeats that feeling you first had when you first stepped foot on the cliff at the start of "Holy shit, I can go anywhere."

Then you do start going everywhere and find that all the hidden locations are filled with high level enemies that can wreck your party in one hit >.>

Mistle

Yeah absolutely.
It went from "That sounds like a great idea!" to a warning siren to casual barracks music. Just mood whiplashes all over and you're never allowed to let it sink in.

The getting your first skell moment was a missed opportunity as well.
That cutscene was so good (even though its shown on the first trailer). Would have been a great opportunity for a mission to start right then and have it transition to Black Tar or something.
Would have been really memorable but instead I just did accidental donuts inside the hangar (cause vehicle mode is a pain in the ass to control) to CANT SEE YOU CANT HEAR YOU.

...Which was also memorable but in a different way.
My first Skell moment was immediately spiralling out of control into the middle water of NLA...

Also damn I hate the music when you fly. Or, the vocals moreso. I just want to fly around to the hum of the Skell's engine, dammit. So much ruined atmosphere.

Love the game but it mishandles a lot of things. Sloppy but in a sort of charming way I guess, haha.

pizzacat

Banned
There's not much - the biggest thing I can think about is dialogue and Heart-To-Hearts which get replaced by different options as the game progresses, to respond to the events of the last mission. If you want to know, Chapter
and a sidequest named
Prone Sweet Prone
are two of the bigger events that cause a lot of NPC dialogue to be replaced early on, and you'll want to do all of the Heart to Hearts assigned
to Lao
earlier as well, because attempting them later in the game will gut a lot of the dialogue.
Thanks

Regiruler

As I had worried earlier, getting the Level 30 Skells definitely breaks Chapter 7 completely. The boss went down in about a minute. I'm on the fence about just not using them until the difficulty scales back up again because I feel like I really glossed over some of the little challenges of the chapter. Just warped to the nearest probe and walked a couple hexes over. The story mission ended up taking half the time of some normal missions.

Although, part of me feels like this game is so long and so packed with content that making the game more of a breeze should be an encouraged thing. The game never said you have to spend the bulk of your time (and the bulk of your EXP gain) in the story missions. I dunno, it probably gets more challenging soon.
Is the skell license even required for story progression? Ch7 just seemed to have fairly standard affinity mission requirement.

It's fucking breathtaking there. I thought I was through with desert open worlds after getting completely sick of MGS V's Afghanistan, but this is on a whole other level. It reminds me of the best parts of Journey and Shadow of the Colossus.

I love this game.
Beat the chapter 5 too, man the story is getting a lot better too what a surprise, i was expecting something worse because some reviews. This game is really really good, cant stop playing.

I love this game.

I can relate: I normally despise Desert biomes in video games. Maybe because I grew up in the desert and didn't like it. But this game actually made exploring the desert very engaging and interesting. Plus the soundtrack for it is really good too.

Finally got the Ares 90.

My god...

WVW69ir075wK_DNtAi

So I just got into this game the last few days, having gotten back to my Wii U for the Christmas break. I did Chapter 5 last night, and I have to ask. Am I doing something wrong? Making my way past the
Prone skells, and even the prone themselves, all of whom seemed to pull in huge groups
, was enormously more difficult than most of the stuff to come before it.

And at this point I feel like I don't know how best to get stronger, really. Most quests I pick up from the quest board either give paltry rewards, or seem far beyond my abilities. I could grind indigens but that's dull as hell. I feel like I'm not doing a good job keeping my gear up to date either. There just doesn't seem to be broadly useful upgrades like I found there usually were in Xenoblade wii. And when it comes to the status effects and bonuses on some if the gear and abilities - blackout, and Power Dive's buff come to mind - I have no idea what they do or even where to look to find out besides the internet, and I really don't want to have to google every obscure detail about the game.

I'm really enjoying it though. It's huge and beautiful and I missed this style of game, even if it is frequently a bit opaque and discouraging. Now to check every single affinity mission to see if I can't find A Friend in Need so that I might eventually start Chapter 6.

Holy crap at the difficulty spike in chapter 9. Doesnt help that Lao is usually my 4th guy and I cant use him this mission so Im stuck with an underlevelled Irina. Ugh.

Time to grind to 40 :/

Kadin

I really hate that I'm struggling with grasping various stats in the game. I've read through the manual and have the Prima e-guide (which isn't all that great) and yet I still feel... confused. Comparing stats on gear is just a clusterfuck for me. It's so hard determining when one piece is better when some stats are red and others are blue - and which take priority, etc.

Any tips on how to understand this all better cause I'm clearly not getting it. Also many augmented gear has stuff I have no clue what it means and I can't seem to find a definition list anywhere.

BUT I STILL LOVE THIS GAME!!

zroid

Banned
I really hate that I'm struggling with grasping various stats in the game. I've read through the manual and have the Prima e-guide (which isn't all that great) and yet I still feel... confused. Comparing stats on gear is just a clusterfuck for me. It's so hard determining when one piece is better when some stats are red and others are blue - and which take priority, etc.

Any tips on how to understand this all better cause I'm clearly not getting it. Also many augmented gear has stuff I have no clue what it means and I can't seem to find a definition list anywhere.

BUT I STILL LOVE THIS GAME!!

the lack of any descriptions for what the battle traits do is so bizarre

you basically need to go to the augment engineering menu and if it's available to make you can see what the thing does...

in other words ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

at least most of them are pretty self-explanatory, but you still can't see the minutiae without looking at the augment itself

the lack of any descriptions for what the battle traits do is so bizarre

you basically need to go to the augment engineering menu and if it's available to make you can see what the thing does...
Not so bizarre after it was basically the same in last game. Still just a touch opaque. :p. Thanks, this is super helpful and exactly (one of the things) that I was looking for!

My first Skell moment was immediately spiralling out of control into the middle water of NLA...

Also damn I hate the music when you fly. Or, the vocals moreso. I just want to fly around to the hum of the Skell's engine, dammit. So much ruined atmosphere.

Love the game but it mishandles a lot of things. Sloppy but in a sort of charming way I guess, haha.

The flight music is pretty good but yeah the vocals ruin it. I wish there was no flight music, the respective continent themes are much better.

Yeah, there are missed opportunities all over this game. Its an excellent game but these little things prevent it from being truly incredible.

Holy crap at the difficulty spike in chapter 9. Doesnt help that Lao is usually my 4th guy and I cant use him this mission so Im stuck with an underlevelled Irina. Ugh.

Time to grind to 40 :/

Use the shield wall skill for Lin and I think ghost walk for Elma. Made a big difference

Kadin

Well I had no clue you could do that. I mean I knew the info was there, just didn't put 2 and 2 together. Thanks!

Still doing later game side quests
I have just witnessed two prone marriages in a row and I'm sure I have at least one more romance related quest in my backlog somewhere.

Golnei

Black Suit is the only suitable attire for Murderess

I kind of prefer the leather pants for Murderess. Not the most original, but it does fit her image.

The flight music is pretty good but yeah the vocals ruin it. I wish there was no flight music, the respective continent themes are much better.

I've said this before, but I think the best way to handle it would have just been to have "Skell" and "ground" versions of each continent theme that seamlessly transition between each other, with no separate track for flying. Really, this game could have benefited so much from dynamic instrumental layers.

I guess - but what makes it worse is that a lot of the sound direction problems here weren't really issues in the first game. The cutscene music and audio mixing in the original Xenoblade weren't anywhere near as unfitting or invasive, and you were never really in a position to have the area themes get cut off and repeated as much as when in a flying Skell. Though I do prefer how they handled the alternate 'ambushed' battle theme here.

The more I play this game, the more I feel it came out of the PS1/PS2 era. Obviously not in terms of scope or game design, but moreso in its approach to communicating the authors' intent.

Modern AAA gaming is basically defined by focus tested polish. Everything is incredibly polished but devoid of individual identity.

XBX however takes an opposite approach. Everything about the game is exactly how Takahashi wanted it, regardless of whether it would be popular or not. Don't like the music? The party management? The way the story unfolds? All the game has to say to that is CAN'T HEAR YOU CAN'T SEE YOU

Xane

Xenoblade Chronicles X [OT2] Hmm, what should I whip up today?

Xenoblade Chronicles X [OT3] Hmm, what should I whip up today?

Xenoblade Chronicles X [OT4] Hmm, what should I whip up today?

Etc...

What happened to Xenoblade Chronicles X [OT2] Welcome to New L+A!?

jaina

I'm really enjoying it though. It's huge and beautiful and I missed this style of game, even if it is frequently a bit opaque and discouraging. Now to check every single affinity mission to see if I can't find A Friend in Need so that I might eventually start Chapter 6.
In case you're still searching: A Friend in Need is very well hidden, right next to the story mission table.

Delio

Now that I have the Ares should I start killing monsters for the really good ground gear and for augment mats or just grind Joker with scouted people and bash on the global boss? I assume I also need NegEther since I noticed that thing loves to cast reflect on certain elements.

Matte totally.

I finally got Mia. Talk about being obscure and it is not like the last quest is a red ? either but just a white dot in the
Ganglion Antropolis
once you've got 65% Cauldros (done the last 4) and I guess cleared the
Definian Downfall (at the very least you'll need the keys)
quest.

So there is a lot of her level up quote
Whos a winner? This girl
in my future. Well when the audio doesn't glitch up. I've has post battle banter playing over the top of cutscenes :(

I realise I'm probably a 'baddy' and that I just need to 'l2p' and 'git gud', but not being able to
use a skell for final phase of Lao in chapter 12
is a real dick move. And has pretty much sapped my will to finish the game before taking a break from it.
In chapter 12 I died to that the first time
(as I've said before my ground combat is terrible) the chimeras that showed up slowly took everyone out before we could beat "Lao". When I respawned I noticed my Skells were refueling but entered the fight anyway and they went back to 0 fuel but upon exiting they were refueling. I don't know if they were the first time and I just didn't pay attention but this time I got to the chimera summons phase re-entered Skell and used my 400 accumulated fuel to finish it off (one blast of phoenix followed by a scythe to the back...as always :p)

Holy shit watermelons ARE vegetables! the things this game teaches you man.
I appreciate simple affinity missions like that from time to time.

So I just got into this game the last few days, having gotten back to my Wii U for the Christmas break. I did Chapter 5 last night, and I have to ask. Am I doing something wrong? Making my way past the
Prone skells, and even the prone themselves, all of whom seemed to pull in huge groups
, was enormously more difficult than most of the stuff to come before it.
Remove trash talk from Lin now! AoE taunt is a trash tier art in a game that commonly puts you in close proximity to thing you don't want entering the pray.

Not so bizarre after it was basically the same in last game. Still just a touch opaque. :p. Thanks, this is super helpful and exactly (one of the things) that I was looking for!
That game effectively had two types of damage, physical and ether. Yes Fire, Ice and Lightning (and any other I forget) existed (and had gems to boost) but there ultimately physical or ether. While here you have 6 types of damage; physical, beam, ether, thermal, electric and gravity. The OP has a good list of what is good against what which gives the game a slight Vagrant Story feel (outside of the whole weapon stats going down confusion).

Omzz

forget where but once I got the flight module I'm like hey, lemme get all these data probes. one spot I maneuver between all these high level enemies and finally get to it to place a probe...and then....Mechanical level 5

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

random25

That affinity quest with L was just so...fast. Like I accepted every mission and everything finishes there lol.

Now onto HB's final affinity quest.

Blues1990

I was wondering if someone could help me.

Despite finding this excellent build, I can't seem to mix and match the various arts of other classes for this, despite maxing those specific classes. Also, I seem to be limited with just three skills, despite the build requesting that I need five of them. What's going on?

I was wondering if someone could help me.

Despite finding this excellent build, I can't seem to mix and match the various arts of other classes for this, despite maxing those specific classes. Also, I seem to be limited with just three skills, despite the build requesting that I need five of them. What's going on?

the arts still limited to the weapon type. so there's no way you could use for example longsword arts & photon saber arts at the same time. to use the weapon itself, you need to master the branch path up until the final class in that path. as for skill slots, use the 1st basic class as that's the only class with 5 skill slots

Need help with the Normal Quest (available after Chapter 5)
No Ma-non Need Apply. I've grabbed the information from the first and third locations, but the sports complex one doesn't seem to exist. There's nobody there giving me anything. I've tried different times of day, too. What am I missing?

Edit: Found it. Was some distance off to the side of where you would expect.

Blues1990

the arts still limited to the weapon type. so there's no way you could use for example longsword arts & photon saber arts at the same time. to use the weapon itself, you need to master the branch path up until the final class in that path. as for skill slots, use the 1st basic class as that's the only class with 5 skill slots

So, for the first class, you mean the Drifter Class? I have maxed out the necessary branches to get those skills, so at least that's one less thing to worry about.

Just for reference, this is the thermal build I'm building:

Rifle Set-up:

Offensive Stance>Magnum Edge>Power Dive>Blossom Dance>Burning Blade>True Stream Edge>Incendiary Blade>Defensive Stance.

Ranged weapon: Ramjet Rifle

Dual-Gun Set-up:

Offensive Stance>Primer>Magnum Edge>Blossom Dance>Burning Blade>Incendiary Blade. (Ghost Walker and/or Ghost Factory).

Longsword Skills:

Iron Knuckle (Samurai Gunner) (Physical Damage+%)
Conflagrant Blade (Duelist) (Thermal Damage+%)
Inner Search (Enforcer) (Potential+%)
Zero Zero (FMJ) (Auto-attack delay reduced)
Secondary Accelerator (Mastermind) (Secondary Cooldown reduced delay)

Need help with the Normal Quest (available after Chapter 5)
No Ma-non Need Apply. I've grabbed the information from the first and third locations, but the sports complex one doesn't seem to exist. There's nobody there giving me anything. I've tried different times of day, too. What am I missing?

this should help i think
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/72946258
i guess you missed it due to how the npc didn't load fast enough since you already run past the possible location.... that happens several times for me makes me hate info search type quest post-game... end up hating it more than item collection >.>

edit: ahh you found it already

yes drifter class....
as for art setup, some arts are from party characters which you need to do their affinity quest first before getting the skill (such as blossom dance)

edit: ditch iron knuckle since it is useless for thermal build... also zero zero is dual gun art, not skill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom