• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game is starting to become overwhelming with side quests (more than it is already). I ended up opening up like five new ones just trying to find the NPCs to speak to, to finish ones I just completed objectives for. The bane of that one quest that always unlocks 20 more. :/

Time to hold them off until later.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Cauldros is by far my favorite continent. It is massive, the scale is overwhelming, the music is epic, and it really feels like an ancient alien 'civilization' exists there due to the architecture of the monumental structures and buildings, and the deployment of all the mechinoids.

After experiencing Cauldros, this game has catapulted itself to the top of 'expertly designed gameworlds'. Mira is the most amazing planet I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in video game history, and I couldn't be more happy that I've been privileged with enough free time to fully enjoy it.

Blues1990

yes drifter class....
as for art setup, some arts are from party characters which you need to do their affinity quest first before getting the skill (such as blossom dance)

edit: ditch iron knuckle since it is useless for thermal build... also zero zero is dual gun art, not skill

Ah, okay. Thank you for the info.

What skill would you recommend me to replace Iron Knuckle?

Shahadan

"Sheldon, the Dentally Challenged" :lol:

Also those rings in Oblivia come from the white whale or are relics? The biggest one, at least, seems to have crashed and even destroyed a mountain in its path, but I'm not sure about the others.

Amalthea

Banned

Also those rings in Oblivia come from the white whale or are relics? The biggest one, at least, seems to have crashed and even destroyed a mountain in its path, but I'm not sure about the others.
Pretty sure they are acient. I guess Mira is like a
Bermuda Triangle
planet.

God that Blossom Dance long sword/dual guns/ether build doing the rounds is absolutely monstrous. I've got the three TP when using arts XX augments and a decent set of armour/amazing weapon but I'm far from fully geared for that build, and the results are already amazing.

I still have no idea what to kit my Ares 90 out with though.

Shahadan

Affinity grinding takes a long time... anyone have tips for quickly gaining more affinity?

You could wait until after beating the story, there will be a repeatable mission giving lots of affinity.

Otherwise you can just do normal missions, there usually each give a few occasions to give an answer and thus boostig affinity a bit.

Heart to hearts are useful as well but that's only one per full heart.
Don't try to max everyone like I tried to :D

Sadist

Thanks, guess I'll wait then hehe. And a repeatable mission after completing the story? Hmmm.

Guess I'll just complete some missions (the ones I can) and grind some money. Need a lvl 50 skell man.

Shahadan

Thanks, guess I'll wait then hehe. And a repeatable mission after completing the story? Hmmm.

Guess I'll just complete some missions (the ones I can) and grind some money. Need a lvl 50 skell man.

Same thing, after story there are repeatable missions for money :p (as well as miranium, exp, etc).
The biggest one gives you 300k gold. It's easy and fast, but rather boring.

You might want a 50 skell for the last boss though, even if it's not necessary. Apparently some people find it hard.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I like quests where they set you up for a fair fight and then you just hop into your skell and obliterate them instead.

Spent half the night yesterday finishing Chapter 6 and getting my Skell license. I am now quite overwhelmed with my new Skell and opportunities it offers :).

Also tried off-screen play with gamepad. It's surprisingly playable (small text aside). But Pro controller is so much more comfortable, I can't reliably click on sticks on gamepad for some reason.

Xenoboy

This game really has some amazing moments -
tumblr_nzt6uhqTNY1u8hrm1o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nzo94nv1SG1u8hrm1o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nznnciUxHh1u8hrm1o1_540.jpg

Chaos17

Noppon caravan in Oblivia will tell you they're relics of a big battle that happened.

Shahadan

Noppon caravan in Oblivia will tell you they're relcs of a big battle that happened.

Oh cool, okay. I guess I haven't read everything they had to say.
also I have a quest telling me to get to all the nopon caravans in the game (not the treaty quest)...Is there one in primordia or sylvalum? I went to mama tatsu, the dorian caravan in oblivia, and the one in cauldros, but can't remember if I even met the last one.

Oh cool, okay. I guess I haven't read everything they had to say.
also I have a quest telling me to get to all the nopon caravans in the game (not the treaty quest)...Is there one in primordia or sylvalum? I went to mama tatsu, the dorian caravan in oblivia, and the one in cauldros, but can't remember if I even met the last one.
Yeah there's one in Sylvalum. In the falls (evergreen falls?, not sure of the name) in the southeastern corner of the region.

Venfayth

God that Blossom Dance long sword/dual guns/ether build doing the rounds is absolutely monstrous. I've got the three TP when using arts XX augments and a decent set of armour/amazing weapon but I'm far from fully geared for that build, and the results are already amazing.

I still have no idea what to kit my Ares 90 out with though.

For the skell frame augments get 3 increased damage from above, then the rest you're best off just increasing evasion. You might want a couple of the augments that nullify ether reflect on the skell weapons also.

Oh thanks game. After I farm the feathers for Biology level 5 I get a squad mission that gives me them as a reward :(

Can we meet a Yggralith Zero in solo play, or it's a online only monster ?
Yes but it is a very high level tyrant and the one of the two Ultrafauna enemies along with Telethia, the Endbringer.

The nemesis version is notably weaker though.

I decided to do the same and my Beauty and the Beast* time attack (chapter
boss rematch) time was well less than half what it was before. That is with a fairly bad build too so I can see why there are videos online of it doing stupid damage (especially the ether sword). In my sample size of 2 I'm only getting drops from the beast...maybe I should fight the beauty first instead and see if that makes a difference.

*-Whenever I watch that film I'm going to be thinking
no negotiation, no compromise and no mercy

Same thing, after story there are repeatable missions for money :p (as well as miranium, exp, etc).
The biggest one gives you 300k gold. It's easy and fast, but rather boring.
They really botched giving you the support missions as the point you unlock them they generally have little use aside from affinity and gold for level 50 skell frames but even then trying to get good level 60 weapons from killing joker & co (which are probably the lower rung of level 60 weapons) will amass a small fortune:
WVW69irjZhg2Sm0e9o

Should be noted that is with selling a few of the 1-2 augment level 60 weapon drops which sometimes is a bad thing to do as they can still have very good augments.

Golnei

A minor thing that's been bothering me is how the default join-up quote for a party member will always remain the same (leading to weird situations like them greeting you with "hey, you're that one from Elma's team, right" when you've maxed their affinity and done all of their heart-to-hearts and affinity missions), but they went out of their way to write new lines if you approach them during story missions, which change depending on the context - and which most people will only see a tiny fraction of.

Xenoboy

I just got the Skell, W00t!
But it feels so OP, I can basically destroy enemies alone, I beat a 29 tyrant at level 26 with it.
Anyone else felt that the Skell controls a bit weird? Maybe I'll get used to it, hopefully :p

Golnei

Anyone else felt that the Skell controls a bit weird? Maybe I'll get used to it, hopefully :p

Heavy and medium Skells have some handling differences to the starter/light Skells; especially in sprint/vehicle mode, so buying one of those when Level 30 Skells become available might help a little.

Owensboro

So I just got into this game the last few days, having gotten back to my Wii U for the Christmas break. I did Chapter 5 last night, and I have to ask. Am I doing something wrong? Making my way past the
Prone skells, and even the prone themselves, all of whom seemed to pull in huge groups
, was enormously more difficult than most of the stuff to come before it.

And at this point I feel like I don't know how best to get stronger, really. Most quests I pick up from the quest board either give paltry rewards, or seem far beyond my abilities. I could grind indigens but that's dull as hell. I feel like I'm not doing a good job keeping my gear up to date either. There just doesn't seem to be broadly useful upgrades like I found there usually were in Xenoblade wii. And when it comes to the status effects and bonuses on some if the gear and abilities - blackout, and Power Dive's buff come to mind - I have no idea what they do or even where to look to find out besides the internet, and I really don't want to have to google every obscure detail about the game.

I'm really enjoying it though. It's huge and beautiful and I missed this style of game, even if it is frequently a bit opaque and discouraging. Now to check every single affinity mission to see if I can't find A Friend in Need so that I might eventually start Chapter 6.

I just got past chapter 4 last night and am having the same trouble as you with not really knowing how to really get stronger. New weapons and armor have an overwhelming amount of stats to worry about almost to the point where I just say "uuuuuh, I'll go with the higher armor value?", which I assume caused my death 5 times at that chapter 4 boss. Sub question for that boss as well:
So I realized after my first attempt that she was doing what I assumed were lighting attacks, but I had no way of confirming it. Is there a damage log, boss information page, or anything that tells how to avoid boss abilities / what element they are that isn't just a straight up hint-guide? Also, where the heck do you get elemental resist gear?
For every moment that I think I get a grip on this game there are two more things I don't know how to find the information on short of looking it up online. God I wish this game came with a physical manual I could have sitting on my lap. Maybe I'll just print one.

Oh! Second question! What does the color coding on the hex map mean? I found a color chart of enemy levels in the manual that I thought would relate to it, until I entered a purple hex and whatever thing was I needed to complete the hex (Tyrant? I think?) was a solid 30+ levels above me. Is there a separate color chart for Hexs somewhere I missed? Maybe I just got my colors mixed up.

Also, just to assuage anyone's fears, I'm constantly shocked at how much I'm loving the game despite it being not great at explaining things to me, or putting information multiple menus deep.

Alrus

I just got past chapter 4 last night and am having the same trouble as you with not really knowing how to really get stronger. New weapons and armor have an overwhelming amount of stats to worry about almost to the point where I just say "uuuuuh, I'll go with the higher armor value?", which I assume caused my death 5 times at that chapter 4 boss. Sub question for that boss as well:
So I realized after my first attempt that she was doing what I assumed were lighting attacks, but I had no way of confirming it. Is there a damage log, boss information page, or anything that tells how to avoid boss abilities / what element they are that isn't just a straight up hint-guide? Also, where the heck do you get elemental resist gear?
For every moment that I think I get a grip on this game there are two more things I don't know how to find the information on short of looking it up online. God I wish this game came with a physical manual I could have sitting on my lap. Maybe I'll just print one.

I think the attributes appear next to the name of the attack when it happens (it's probably very easy to miss).

Different type of armor from different manufacturers have different type of resistances. Check those ones out (for example, heavy armor from the first manufacturer -forgot the name- have great physical defense but are very weak against gravity). You can see the values when picking them.

Drive-by hype post...

... Getting this for Christmas and I'm so hyped! I've been lurking in this thread just counting the days till I'm in Mira.

Get ready for my noob questions when I don't know what I'm doing!

brb, pre-writing some "read dat god damn OP!" post templates especially for you :D

Ha, I think I've got an OK grasp of the basics (I've watched the survival guides etc) it'll be more specific stuff about various armour types and buffs etc.

Getting a new 4k uHD 43 inch TV in a few days too. It's gonna be glorious.

So, when I fire the game up, am I gonna have to sit through an update? (I've got the data packs already).

TheMoon

Ha, I think I've got an OK grasp of the basics (I've watched the survival guides etc) it'll be more specific stuff about various armour types and buffs etc.

Getting a new 4k uHD 43 inch TV in a few days too. It's gonna be glorious.

So, when I fire the game up, am I gonna have to sit through an update? (I've got the data packs already).

For real, though, bookmark (or d/l) Caaaaw's spreadsheet and download that manual PDF. Always good to have that stuff handy, especially the spreadsheet.

And yea, there was a small day-1 update. I was ready to go in a handful of minutes when I popped my disc in (data packs also predownloaded).

Man, when you first get the flight module and start flying around Primordia it just completely repeats that feeling you first had when you first stepped foot on the cliff at the start of "Holy shit, I can go anywhere."

Then you do start going everywhere and find that all the hidden locations are filled with high level enemies that can wreck your party in one hit >.>

My favorite parts are going like "I can get all those far away probe locationa now!" Only to find a majority of them are lv 5. (PS, you can put probes down in every location in Cauldros without a Lv 5 Mechanical skill. Every other continent requires at least one)

The other favorite part is flying around and suddenly you're attacked by some elder god tyrant or a swarm of high level enemies just flying around. That goddamn claw in Cauldros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom