• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Well shit. I thought this was a long running series (ala final fantasy). I had no idea chronicles was the first one. They knocked it out of the park that much? Damn.

Well, there are other "Xeno" games from the same director (Xenogears, then several "Xenosaga" games), but Xenoblade's combat system and overall focus on large worlds is pretty different from the previous games. It doesn't have any direct story connections to them either, just some similarities.

j-wood

:LOL

That's why I love those fights in that area, shit just happens and you've got to find a way to deal with it or lose. I also love that fight because it's one of those that permanently changes the landscape.

Yup, well these were the Xenogears guy so it's not like they had no experience.

Ah, that's the series I was thinking of when I picked up chronicles. I've never played those either.

EhoaVash

Aw crap I'm just starting Chapter 10. Is level 45 a safe bet? I got whooped hard in the Chapter 9 fight so I spent a good amount of time grinding

I was level 40. I needed to get 4 level 30 skells for my 4 party members to do that chapter. ..lots of shit just happens at once.

Seik

Banned
I finished playing yesterday at like midnight and I was at my 4th mission of Skell license...

SO NEEEAAAAR!!!! -___-

NeonZ

My vacation starts today! Really, it has been a long time since I've played a game that actually makes wake up before work just to put a few more minutes into it.

Shahadan

Jesus Christ, you're gonna stroll through the rest of the game.

Speaking of, any quick-ish way to level from from 40 to 50?

Destroy shit in a prone base with a full party of skells. Preferably 417 in sylvalum (iirc) so you get good skell wepaons in the process

If you already went there, choose a base with more powerful enemies. You can probably kill lvl45 enemies with your skells

Fandangox

Jesus Christ, you're gonna stroll through the rest of the game.

Speaking of, any quick-ish way to level from from 40 to 50?

This is what I did:

Probably not the fastests, but on the south western coast of Sylvanum on the wall that has an entrance guarded by two lvl 30 OrcServers you will find some lvl 60 Zigs positioned around the walls, you can kill them in aboht 4 seconds with a group of skells, and at lvl 56 you will get 1k experience per kill. They are a bit spread out, but if you kill all four and skip back to the entrance you should level up pretty quickly.

If you are taking lower leveled party members fighting on Skells they will level up pretty quickly.

So at level 40 you should be gaining a lot more experience than at level 56. Although some also say the Insectoid Tyrant at the Northwestern cave in Primordia is a good grinding spot too.

Haunted

I would have preferred squad members in NLA leveling alongside your active team (this setup would've been much more painless for the player and is completely supported by the lore), but since it's a necessity sometimes, don't forget to equip those low level members you want to get on par with your main party with as many EXP Boost augments as you can muster, or equipment that has those built in (I noticed they're more common in helmets/headgear). Makes the whole process go by much faster. At least they have decent scaling, beating lvl50+ enemies makes members in the low 20s level up every couple seconds. :lol

Leveling up a character 30+ levels in a matter of minutes is pretty fun.

Yuuuup. The game goes out of its way to make you feel small before you get your Skell, and once you do, you feel so big.

That being said, I really wish you'd gotten it 10-15 hours earlier. Also, a free skell is a free skell, but as soon as you hit 30 I highly recommend upgrading to the Amdusias.
I think there's value in giving the player so much time to get intimately familiar with many of Primordia's and Noctilum's areas - on foot, towards chapter 6 I had explored most of the first continent and knew exactly where I could and, more importantly, couldn't go. So getting that Skell and opening up all those new possibilities was a really powerful moment where the radical traversal, exploration and combat changes in-game reinforce the story importance of that moment.

And then they do it all over again when the player gets the flight module. :D

Astral Dog

Well shit. I thought this was a long running series (ala final fantasy). I had no idea chronicles was the first one. They knocked it out of the park that much? Damn.
What do you mean? No plot connection, i would say just keep playing Xenoblade 3DS, its a massive and very good game with its own qualities even compared to this one, there is no point in worrying to change games soon.

Haunted

Is there any weather effect worse than spores?
Can't see shit with that.
I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, some of the cutscenes in this game are just gorgeous.

WVW69irCGzYxbNyT_Y

OH WAIT

Get the augment for Skell's that makes you see clearly under any weather condition.
oh right, I actually wanted to ask about that stuff. Do the various weather augments have to be installed on the main Skell I'm using, or can it just be on one of the squad member's?

Since I'm doing like 90% of the work in every fight, I'd like the party leader Skell to be focused on combat as much as possible.

I was reading on reddit that if your Skell gets down to 1 insurance, you should consider removing your parts from the frame and sell it since the sell price is the same as repair cost if it's destroyed again. Then simply buy another Skell which will give you another 3 insurance. If you wait until you have no insurance left, you have to repair FIRST to then be able to remove the individual parts which is a pretty high cost.

I've been grabbing the salvage tickets here and there but thought the above advice was pretty smart.

0 insurance. When you have 1 left, you still get a free repair.

I just did this myself, hit 0 insurance, stripped it and sold it for most of the purchase price back.

Vena

oh right, I actually wanted to ask about that stuff. Do the various weather augments have to be installed on the main Skell I'm using, or can it just be on one of the squad member's?

Since I'm doing like 90% of the work in every fight, I'd like the party leader Skell to be focused on combat as much as possible.

Its per Skell. And since you're the one in control, it really only matters for you. But remember that weather affects have debuffs for everyone/thing caught in them.

Haunted

What are some good spots to get Light/Medium Skell Armor drops?
Depends on the level you're at and level of drops you're aiming for.

Generally, enemy Pugiliths and Skells (predictably) drop the most Skell equipment, so clearing out some of those bases in southern Oblivia, or for higher level enemies, uh, pretty much everywhere you look in Cauldros :)p) net you a lot of that stuff.

Haunted

Its per Skell. And since you're the one in control, it really only matters for you. But remember that weather affects have debuffs for everyone/thing caught in them.
Makes sense.

I haven't actually seen one that gives vision yet, only ones that reduce damage from weather, but I've only skimmed through the billion possible skell augments, so I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I was reading on reddit that if your Skell gets down to 1 insurance, you should consider removing your parts from the frame and sell it since the sell price is the same as repair cost if it's destroyed again. Then simply buy another Skell which will give you another 3 insurance. If you wait until you have no insurance left, you have to repair FIRST to then be able to remove the individual parts which is a pretty high cost.

I've been grabbing the salvage tickets here and there but thought the above advice was pretty smart.
I'll one up that advice and say that you should consider giving 1 insurance Skells to your squad members. Since they always perfectly hit the eject, they'll never use up that final insurance.

Man, some of these side quests are so damn dark. Just did the
--seminar--
one and now I just started the one where
the Man-on falls out of the sky with a splatter of blood.

Haunted

Yeah the game just pretty nonchalantly drops some racism/xenophobia issues with real consequences and not always happy endings in some of the missions.

I like the absurd contrast between fun/quirky and deadly serious, even if it means that no one can take any of it seriously.

fast travel inside sylvalum a bit until it appears. It basically looks like a super intense blizzard.
It appears you stopped reading my post at exactly that sentence. :lol

addyb

Just ordered this from amazon uk. Never played a Xenoblade game before but it looks so good. Maybe it will break my bloodborne addiction.

Dawg

Finished chapter 5. Literally WAT.

Right when I was losing a tiny bit of interest in the main story, they pulled me back in HARD.

Xenoboy

I did the quest with Sorana and wow. I really liked how the quest went on and the ending was the quite the pay-off.
I also did two of the May missions, nothing too special.

Is there anyway other way to refuel Skells without waiting and paying 5k miranium?
And what happens if you decide to not help the Ma-non person in Bozé's first quest?

Shahadan

Is there anyway other way to refuel Skells without waiting and paying 5k miranium?

Bind monsters wehn you can and do the qte. Also I think my overdrive replenished my fuel when I used weapons but I'm not sure since I still don't know wtf it does and why they have different names.

But, with the binding I rarely have to refuel. You'll have to do it eventually, but less often.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finished chapter 5. Literally WAT.

Right when I was losing a tiny bit of interest in the main story, they pulled me back in HARD.

I know right? It's like you're playing The Matrix where everyone is actually JACKED IN and they're looking for their bodies. Pretty cool! I wonder if the main characteres actually look like who they are IRL.

I know right? It's like you're playing The Matrix where everyone is actually JACKED IN and they're looking for their bodies. Pretty cool! I wonder if the main characteres actually look like who they are IRL.

Xenoblade X
Xeno = alien
BLADE = you know what
X = Cross = main character
mind = blown

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Yeah the game just pretty nonchalantly drops some racism/xenophobia issues with real consequences and not always happy endings in some of the missions.

I like the absurd contrast between fun/quirky and deadly serious, even if it means that no one can take any of it seriously.

It appears you stopped reading my post at exactly that sentence. :lol

Hey find my missing cat! Oh also, and then someone is murdering aliens in the city. What.

I like it too, for some inexplicable reason.

Chastten

Banned
Well, after finishing Chapter 10 I've spent nearly 25 hours of just doing a bit of everything. Got 2 level 50 skells with Intergalactic weapons, a full party of well-equipped level 60 characters, and plenty of income for a while.

Guess I'll see if I can finish the remaining story chapters tonight.

Not_Mario

Neo Member

I remember someone saying something about people having their mimeosomes look different from their real bodies. Stuff like having their mims look younger than their actual body.

This game. It can be so evocative and beautiful--a testament to how great it is designed. It would be so easy for XBCX to be just another average game, but somehow it transcends the formula it walks along artfully, skillfully, and masterfully.
The beauty of design, and beauty of achievement caputered forever. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Took, like, 45 hours before I was ready to get a skell. Now it's just a matter of settling on a colour scheme that I like...

R.D.Blax

Finally got my Ares 90 ! But I think I will give it to Elma later on, I prefer being able to chose my own gear. Speaking of Elma, any place where a I can get cool dual blade weapon ?

Finally got my Ares 90 ! But I think I will give it to Elma later on, I prefer being able to chose my own gear. Speaking of Elma, any place where a I can get cool dual blade weapon ?

I'm doing the same with my Skells. I've got two Ares 90 at the moment, one for me and one for a team mate. The idea is I'm going to get three of them and then make a kickass, fully augmented level 60 frame for myself. I like that the Ares 90 doesn't require much thought when giving one to my team mates but I'm itching for something more customisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom