• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

So I turned off button indicators and just realized I could level up skills as well, 20 fucking hours in. My god, what a god damn ridiculous difference.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Oh wow, I'm crushed. For some reason I thought I read that this game had Japanese language support... now just saw that it doesn't.

I speak Japanese and am very sensitive to bad English dubs, which is 90% of that we get. So disappointed.

So how's your guys success rate with tyrants so far, so far im 2-0, defeated one that was like 4 levels higher than me, I was in pure elation

doesn't always work nicely. Because there's some that may say for example level 13 but since they're a big monster it's recommended to fight them with a skell, as their damage dealt is ridiculous.

burgerdog

This game is too big and too thick for it's own good.
Not a bad thing but still..

I figured that the option would only get rid of button indicators while in the field. Never in million years did I expect the game to remove them from menus. Better late than never, I'm doing so much more damage now, hopefully I'm not missing anything else.

It's serviceable - a competent, standard dub; there's only really one character I find particularly grating, and my issue is with his performance, not the script. Depending on what you disliked about what the first game tried to do with its dub, you might find X a lot more tolerable.

Better than anime and Atlus dub.
Go for it, as someone who usually dislike english dub in j-rpgs
(because they do it badly or doesn't suit them)
, I'm fine or even pleased depending of the character.

Thanks guys, that's good to hear. Ordered the standard edition of the game as the collector's is sold out everywhere still. Looking forward to playing it. I wish they'd offer Japanese voices as DLC or something though. IMO it should be standard practice for all JRPGs as English voices always come off as very jarring to me. Oh well, I'm glad they handled them competently at least. Just hope Persona 5 has a dual audio option like the fighting games did.

Squishy3

Ohhh! Didn't realize only Tyrants have them. I thought the crowns indicated Tyrants.

And I love the music track that plays for Tyrant battles. So awesome.
There's low level Tyrants and then the ones with crowns. The low level ones might be able to get crowns too but the crowns run on unknown parameters where x amount of kills determine what type of crown it has. So the lower leveled ones just might not have killed enough people to get a crown. IE let's say a bronze crown is ~25 kills obviously a tyrant with less kills than that wouldn't get one.

Numb

I figured that the option would only get rid of button indicators while in the field. Never in million years did I expect the game to remove them from menus. Better late than never, I'm doing so much more damage now, hopefully I'm not missing anything else.

You bet your ass you are missing something somewhere lol

Ohhh! Didn't realize only Tyrants have them. I thought the crowns indicated Tyrants.

And I love the music track that plays for Tyrant battles. So awesome.
Nah, the purple dots indicate Tyrant status. The crowns indicate that a Tyrant has killed a significant number of players, with a gold crown indicating that it's killed more players than a silver crown does and such.

And yeah, the Tyrant battle music is great IMO. :D

There's low level Tyrants and then the ones with crowns. The low level ones might be able to get crowns too but the crowns run on an unknown system where x amount of kills determine what type of crown it has. So the lower leveled ones just might not have killed enough people to get a crown. IE let's say a bronze crown is ~25 kills obviously a tyrant with less kills than that wouldn't get one.

Yeah I see some gold crowns. Many a player have died by their hands I take it. Lol. Awesome.

My most memorable moment thus far is fighting one of the young cats outside the east gate and all of a sudden the Uncontrollable music kicks in. A few seconds later I die and on screen I see Hayreddin, the Territorial walk over to kill the rest of my party next.

rec0ded1

i shat on the "uh, yeah" song so much at first...now it's my favorite next to the oblivia overworld theme. I've been grinding the classes maybe i should do chapter 4 some day.

jfoul

Really annoying how headset audio works with the Wii U Gamepad. Audio only outputs to the headset when the play screen is set to the gamepad. Unless I'm missing a game/system setting somewhere.

Evilkazz

Banned
Really annoying how headset audio works with the Wii U Gamepad. Audio only outputs to the headset when the play screen is set to the gamepad. Unless I'm missing a game/system setting somewhere.

Having the same problem bro. I use my Computer Monitor with my Wii U so I was scared the first time I booted up X to get no audio from the gamepad. I've since gotten used to switching to gamepad mode when necessary. It's not the biggest thing to me but still pretty inconvenient at times.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The new "uh uh uh uh uh" shit, NLA Night Music :D

I just completed Chapter 5 tonight.

WTF! I didn't see that coming at all but it makes sense in hindsight.

Yeah, skills that are specific to Skells.

They are basically pilot suits like in Gundam.

That the Mimeosome thing?

I had a tiny inkling earlier, like not only was finding the lifehold important for humanity's survival, but their own. Couple other lines here and there made me wonder if it was a surrogates/matrix type thing, and it sounds like it is. In the text, did they imply that people "dying" out in Mira would just find themselves back in the lifehold, meaning they didn't really die, or that they "die here, they die in there". The tower also fit in with my thoughts, and yep, it's what I thought it was.

I did like the little bit with the ma-non's, about how everyone understands everyone's speech, and hope that is brought up again later on.

Yeah I see some gold crowns. Many a player have died by their hands I take it. Lol. Awesome.

My most memorable moment thus far is fighting one of the young cats outside the east gate and all of a sudden the Uncontrollable music kicks in. A few seconds later I die and on screen I see Hayreddin, the Territorial walk over to kill the rest of my party next.

wait really, there's gold crowns out there? make sure you're not confusing them with copper crowns

I wonder if it was smart to go Bastion Warrior (Shield/Gatling Gun). They are basically the tank class, but that it might have been better for me to go for damage instead.

As far as I know you can't reset your BP for art/skill upgrades so I kind of screwed myself I think.

Dineren

Banned
I wonder if it was smart to go Bastion Warrior (Shield/Gatling Gun). They are basically the tank class, but that it might have been better for me to go for damage instead.

As far as I know you can't reset your BP for art/skill upgrades so I kind of screwed myself I think.

This has been my biggest concern while I've been playing. So far I've limited art upgrades to level 3 until I can decide, but I feel like I need to choose pretty soon or I'm going to end up struggling.

aravuus

i shat on the "uh, yeah" song so much at first...now it's my favorite next to the oblivia overworld theme. I've been grinding the classes maybe i should do chapter 4 some day.

That's the Stockholm syndrome speaking!

5 hours left at work. Wish I was home playing lol.

69wpm

Does anyone know what that heart-to-heart (mission?) is about? I'm standing in the spot it shows on the map at night and don't see anything happening.

All right. Miranium and money can definitely fill up every 30 minutes as long as your gamepad doesn't fall asleep and as said already, you probably aren't in a menu system that doesn't allow you to walk.

I just completed Chapter 5 tonight.

WTF! I didn't see that coming at all but it makes sense in hindsight.

Yeah, skills that are specific to Skells.

They are basically pilot suits like in Gundam.

All right thanks. Guess it'd be a good idea to buy me some whenever I get a Skell. Outside of my regular armor.

Really struggling with what Skell I want to go with whenever I get one. I think it'll depend on how much of a change the different armor types look, and whether the evasion bonus /speedier nature is worth it for light armor skells if they have smaller fuel tanks.

I think I might save right before the pivotal point when you get your own skell and if I can afford a medium, test it out to see if I can make it move as close as possible as the light skell.

Ooccoo

I'm still not sure where Hope and some other characters are. The way you have to level up everyone is ridiculous MMO-style grind.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Never thought I would be running into tyrants out nowhere in Noctilum.

Hmm, got scared by one earlier there:

There's this big massive lake with a cliffside, and from there, I see what I thought was some old wrecked robot/statue thing. Hours later, on a mission hunt that takes me down there, I aggro some crab I don't want to fight, so I take off swimming into the lake. Damn crab won't stop following me.

I'm heading towards that statue. Wait, that thing is moving. Oh shit, that thing is the fucking God of Tyrants.

aravuus

Does anyone know what that heart-to-heart (mission?) is about? I'm standing in the spot it shows on the map at night and don't see anything happening.

The person whose heart-to-heart you're trying to trigger can't be in your active party

I'm still not sure where Hope and some other characters are. The way you have to level up everyone is ridiculous MMO-style grind.

Hope's at the park next to the church

TWILT

Banned
Really enjoying these Affinity Quests; just finished Lin's and the grind for the Energy Tubes aside, it was pretty fun and it's nice seeing the story for her character fleshed out more.

El Odio

Banned
Hmm, got scared by one earlier there:

There's this big massive lake with a cliffside, and from there, I see what I thought was some old wrecked robot/statue thing. Hours later, on a mission hunt that takes me down there, I aggro some crab I don't want to fight, so I take off swimming into the lake. Damn crab won't stop following me.

I'm heading towards that statue. Wait, that thing is moving. Oh shit, that thing is the fucking God of Tyrants.
I was being stupid and for whatever reason thought that's where I was supposed to go for the mission thing in chapter 4. OH man my face when I realized my mistake...

^^^^^

This alongside the fact that certain characters tend to always/usually be 'restricted' for story and affinity quests due to their relevance to the over-all plot makes me want to pick up one of the DLC characters that fits the role of the party member that I need (I need either a regular damage dealing dude or a buffer/debuffer) and just stick with the same party the entire game except for the occasional mission I can only bring two people and it's the main two.

I've never had a mission where I didn't have to bring Lin or Elma or both, and since they're always story relevant that means I need them to be the appropriate level all of the time, leaving one spot in my party that can be interchanged.

So yeah, once I figure out which party member fits the fourth role the best I'll bring them to the party indefinitely. For now I'll stick with Doug as my fourth

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im just scrolling down my friend's list and im seeing smash 4....and then xenoblade xenoblade xenoblade xenoblade hahaha

Big Brett

I'm on Chapter 4 and I need help.
It's telling me to go to Noctilum's Sunlit Spring and there seems to be no path there. What gives?

Fou-Lu

Finally got my Skell after a solid weekend of play. Fooled around with it for a bit and now I am taking a break 30 hours in. Loving the game so far, the environments and the combat and the music are all phenomenal and the storyline is not as dire as I was led to believe.

69wpm

The person whose heart-to-heart you're trying to trigger can't be in your active party

Hope's at the park next to the church

Oh, now I understand. It's some kind of moment between you and that person. I had Lin selected as my character and thought some kind of cutscene would be triggered. Thanks for the help.

Vitacat

Finally put in a decent chunk of time today. I'm on Chapter 3.

OMG, this game is FANTASTIC. I personally am loving it more than the previous Xenoblade so far. I feel bad for people who don't own a Wii U; so many great games on this weird little console. What an incredible world they have created. Saw this Lovecraftian thing flying around and took a shot:

nPMr1np.jpg

QUESTION: can you unequip armor? I put this helmet on Elma and would like to remove it. Can you only remove stuff by putting on another item? Not seeing an unequip option. Probably missing something obvious...?

QUESTION: can you unequip armor? I put this helmet on Elma and would like to remove it. Can you only remove stuff by putting on another item? Not seeing an unequip option. Probably missing something obvious...?

The 'X' in the games name actually is a hint as to how you level up skills, equip augments and fashion armor, and a bunch of other shit. Xenoblade Chronicles X-button.
It's like Takahashi knew.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Finally put in a decent chunk of time today. I'm on Chapter 3.

OMG, this game is FANTASTIC. I personally am loving it more than the previous Xenoblade so far. I feel bad for people who don't own a Wii U; so many great games on this weird little console. What an incredible world they have created. Saw this Lovecraftian thing flying around and took a shot:

nPMr1np.jpg

You can take helmets off, idk if you can do it manually, but theres a option in the settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom