• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Odio

Banned
Anyone have some quick and easy tips for battle? Right now, my battle tactics involve using all skills as quick as possible, and I pretty much randomly assign points to whichever skills sound cool.
Safe your skills/arts for when your teammates call for their type, it'll help keep your health up and stop you from dying.

Ventara

Safe your skills/arts for when your teammates call for their type, it'll help keep your health up and stop you from dying.

Hmm, I do die a lot. So I should just auto-attack until then? Also, I notice sometimes the skills light up. That's when my teammates want me to use them, right?

Vena

Anyone have some quick and easy tips for battle? Right now, my battle tactics involve using all skills as quick as possible, and I pretty much randomly assign points to whichever skills sound cool.

Depends on the spec, but the safest path is to hold skills until you trigger Soul Voices. That greatly buffs damage. Some builds, though, are self-sufficient and the Soul Voice is a bonus within rotation of skills.

Just read what the Arts actually do and what combos into what. Arts usually have an extra effect that only procs when you meet its requirement.

For example, "Boost damage when Toppled" or whatever.

Also make use of the topple mechanic and the Soul Voices.

I suggest reading the manual to get a better understanding of each of the mechanics. There's a lot.

Make sure to break appendages off to do extra damage and also stop an enemy from performing certain attacks tied to whatever appendage you destroyed.

Ventara

Depends on the spec, but the safest path is to hold skills until you trigger Soul Voices. That greatly buffs damage. Some builds, though, are self-sufficient and the Soul Voice is a bonus within rotation of skills.

Alright, thanks. I have multiple of some skill types, so I guess I can use one and save the other for soul voice when needed.

Yes on both.

Thanks!

Just read what the Arts actually do and what combos into what. Arts usually have an extra effect that only procs when you meet its requirement.

For example, "Boost damage when Toppled" or whatever.

Also make use of the topple mechanic and the Soul Voices.

I suggest reading the manual to get a better understanding of each of the mechanics. There's a lot.

Yeah, the whole topple thing is pretty much the only strategy I remember from Xenoblade Wii. I have no idea what TP is or how important evasion is and whatnot. I really need to read up on Soul Voices. I do my best to get them when the prompt comes up, but that's it.

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone know how to stop the Arrow Cinicula from doing it's attack that causes 20k damage? I thought it would be breaking the abdomen and head but I was wrong.

It's so dumb that a regular boss (not a tyrant) four levels below me can one shot my entire team at random. My last attempt had it down to just a sliver of health left.

EDIT: It turns out that my team keeps pulling a level 54 flying enemy above me and that's what has been killing me. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Vena

So this is also a no death no equipment upgrade run? ;)

Nah I will still have to eventually upgrade. AoE is becoming more and more of a problem.

I beat the boss for Chapter 5 with full starter gear but I was feeling the aoe pressure and he killed my team by the end of it. By Chapter 6, I doubt I'll have much of an option.

El Odio

Banned
Hmm, I do die a lot. So I should just auto-attack until then? Also, I notice sometimes the skills light up. That's when my teammates want me to use them, right?
What everyone else has said and also take a look at the secondary cool down bonus each art provudes. Basically each art once usable can cooldown again as indicated by the green outline that fills up if you use range or melee attacks. If you wait until it outlines completely then using that art can gain additional effects.

Wagram

I've improved immensely with combat, and the main story is enjoyable, but fuck man the side quests are boring. It's hours of boring for good stuff.

Risev1

So I've got a couple of questions:

How do you upgrade your mining abilities and the like?

Also, I just unlocked Squad Missions. Had to shut down immediately after, but how do these work exactly? Also, it seems that you can recruit other players and have them play with you. Is that a thing? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Ventara

Make sure to break appendages off to do extra damage and also stop an enemy from performing certain attacks tied to whatever appendage you destroyed.

What everyone else has said and also take a look at the secondary cool down bonus each art provudes. Basically each art once usable can cooldown again as indicated by the green outline that fills up if you use range or melee attacks. If you wait until it outlines completely then using that art can gain additional effects.

These are 2 other things I need to look into. I don't even know how to switch between enemies or have my teammates focus in on one, let alone how to aim for a certain monster part.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So I've got a couple of questions:

How do you upgrade your mining abilities and the like?

Also, I just unlocked Squad Missions. Had to shut down immediately after, but how do these work exactly? Also, it seems that you can recruit other players and have them play with you. Is that a thing? Or am I misunderstanding something?

There is quest early on that explains how to upgrade mining abilities. But they are basically tied to your BLADE level. When that goes up report to a certain NPC and then you can upgrade one of your Mechanical/Acheo/Bio abilities.

Teknoman

These are 2 other things I need to look into. I don't even know how to switch between enemies or have my teammates focus in on one, let alone how to aim for a certain monster part.

Hold R and then press Y or A to switch enemies. You lock on by pressing L. Pushing the right stick in lets you lock onto appendages...but I dunno how to change appendage targeting?

Also Mira has 5 moons?

Malus

Phew, that fight at the end of the Close Comrades affinity quest was hype as fuck, even though I was slightly higher level than the enemies. Really made me save up on tp and make sure to hit every soul voice.

george_us

I should really hate this game but I can't stop playing. Even some of the more annoying aspects of the game are somewhat endearing. Wish I could play more but I already played for 6 hours today and I'm about to fall asleep.

komorebi

The more I play of the game the more I'm starting to love the soundtrack. This is nuts because I was once a vocal critic of the music but in the game it (mostly) really works. Also as someone else pointed out, each track is bursting with creativity and great musicianship regardless of what style it is. I guess you could say I'm really feeling it. Noctilum's day theme = holy shit.

Also this game is fucking amazing. I can't stop playing.

Anteo

Oh, I wanted to post this the other day. In one of the very first cutescenes, where you are about to join blade, Elma says something along the lines of "I wonder what would have happened If I wasn't there" when talking about earth attack and destruction. One other character says that he doesnt know, but he knows is because of her that they got away.

I have the feeling that this is the kind of cutscene that only makes sense when you finish the game, like the one in the original Xenoblade were Shulk says that there are 2 versions of him in his head.

Blues1990

My mining total is 17284, and I get a revenue total of 15242. Isn't that enough to complete Proficency Exam 6? Or am I doing something else wrong that's not allowing me to activate it?

h0tp0ck3t

Started exploring Oblivia for a big after having trouble with the chapter 4 boss when suddenly the weather (?)sleep started killing me. Definitely loved what I saw there though.

Happened to me too. Weather: Electromagnetic storm, that sounds cool, sky looks pretty awes.... OH SHIT I'm almost dead! Fast Travel

random25

Gotta figure out when to use ranged and when to melee. Does your weapon auto switch on distance.

You gotta do it manually. Go melee if you want to play the tank as it draws more aggro, but you deal more damage per turn. Go ranged to take advantage of terrain benefits or keep a safe distance while your teammate draws enemy attention.

Dineren

Banned
Has there been any talk about them selling the complete soundtrack or should I just import it? When I initially listened to a few of the tracks I was disappointed and considered it a huge downgrade from the first Xenoblade, but it has really grown on me. I don't think there has been a single track that I really dislike so far about 25 hours in.

random25

Has there been any talk about them selling the complete soundtrack or should I just import it? When I initially listened to a few of the tracks I was disappointed and considered it a huge downgrade from the first Xenoblade, but it has really grown on me. I don't think there has been a single track that I really dislike so far about 25 hours in.

The limited edition has the USB with the soundtrack right? Dunno if they're gonna sell the CDs, so importing it from Japan is the best option.

Teknoman

No you have to manually switch. Only time it autoswitches is when you use an Art.

You gotta do it manually. Go melee if you want to play the tank as it draws more aggro, but you deal more damage per turn. Go ranged to take advantage of terrain benefits or keep a safe distance while your teammate draws enemy attention.

Gotcha. I guess im usually more of a tank kinda guy, but I guess it also depends on if you're near death and want to lose aggro / are playing online with people that might have better armor/more tank inclined than you.

There isnt some icon size increase option i'm missing though...is there?

The limited edition has the USB with the soundtrack right? Dunno if they're gonna sell the CDs, so importing it from Japan is the best option.

Its not the full soundtrack unfortunately. Only 10 tracks.

How often is it that we got money/resources from our probes again? Every hour?

Also for those who have gotten skells, does upgrades their armor/weaponry/look cost money or do you have to build it using resources?

Gotcha. I guess im usually more of a tank kinda guy, but I guess it also depends on if you're near death and want to lose aggro / are playing online with people that might have better armor/more tank inclined than you.

Its not the full soundtrack unfortunately. Only like 6 tracks or so?

Melee class also has the rogue/commando class which is pretty fun imho. You stay to the back and side of enemies and use your special skills. Later on it gets more complicated with moves to halve your HP to gain more TP and do special skills and stuff.

For everyone who have the guide book. How useful is it? Finding specific items for some missions are impossible. Usually the quest detail only gives you the name of the item and its region, which in this game is really huge.

Unless X is still getting regular patches and updates in Japan. Anyone know?
There were a couple of incredibly minor updates for completely trivial things, each a month or two apart.
EDIT: It turns out that my team keeps pulling a level 54 flying enemy above me and that's what has been killing me. Is there anyway to prevent this?
Don't fight at night. Or take off everyone's AoE attacks.

You get money/resources every 30 minutes.

Ah cool. I wish there was a section in the gamepad that showed you how much money/resources you've earned recently. Because then I could leave my screen on something else and just check the gamepad.

looking for "Renewed Will" in the
commercial district
I cannot find this at all

help please

I saw Central Melville Street nothing

Was in front of one of the restaurants. just look for question marks in front of restaurants/cafes and it should be one of them. I think it was in the far north side-ish so look for question marks around there.

Also, my GamePad battery is getting low and it seems the only way to dismiss the message is on the gamepad screen (pro controller doesn't work there). Do I really need to keep getting up to go to my pro controller to dismiss the message if this continues to be an issue? Its been pretty annoying :/

If you are not using the gamepad can't you just plug it in? (sorry haven't owned a wii u in a while)

aravuus

Edit: Also, it's kind of odd how the mute protagonist here is basically a secondary character so far. Everyone generally interacts with Elma, rather than the avatar, even for long speeches and such. There was a mission where the party reunited afterwards and everyone was randomly saying that they won only thanks to Elma, even though she didn't do anything special there in the cutscenes aside from being a party member.

But then in some sidequests, like H.B.'s 1st Affinity Quest, the mute avatar is suddenly the protagonist and people actually mostly interact with them in the cutscenes...

Yeah, I noticed this too. The game seems to have some identity issues concerning the mute main character. Now we just need one cutscene that plays out like a Persona 3 or 4 one, where the MC clearly talks but only to the other characters (no text box etc) and we'll have a game that showcases three very different sorts of mute main characters in one

random25

Its not the full soundtrack unfortunately. Only 10 tracks.

Another advantage of melee is it also rakes in more TP per turn. Great for building up TP in battles.

I haven't seen any icon size increase option. Dunno about that. That's pretty sad for the soundtrack. At least the flash drive looks cool I guess lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom