• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

So yeah, once I figure out which party member fits the fourth role the best I'll bring them to the party indefinitely. For now I'll stick with Doug as my fourth

I've had Hope with me just because she has vastly different arts than either Lin or Elma. No idea if she's any good, but since there's already overlap with my character's and Lin's role (both are tank-ish, I'm just more focused on dealing damage), I really don't need more people trying to fill that role.

Everyone was present in the cutscenes in XB even if they weren't in the active party, why the hell can't the same be true in XBX? I'd really like to have a completely different party every now and then than just MC, Lin, Elma plus random someone.

So between the possible party members seems like my best options are between Hope and Yelv. Hope apparently has crazy buff/debuffing, and Yelv just seems to be an effective support fighter.

I think I might go with Hope. Lin is acting as the Tank for the most part, attracting multiple enemies to her. Elma and myself are the same class/path so we're both doing high damage attacks that are increasingly risky/positional so we need the heat off. And hope would act as the buff/debuffer.

Probably won't matter much once we all have Skells though haha. But that won't be for a while so I'm going in with this mindset. Gotta go grab Hope asap. Probs will do it tomorrow.

I've had Hope with me just because she has vastly different arts than either Lin or Elma. No idea if she's any good, but since there's already overlap with my character's and Lin's role (both are tank-ish, I'm just more focused on dealing damage), I really don't need more people trying to fill that role.

Everyone was present in the cutscenes in XB even if they weren't in the active party, why the hell can't the same be true in XBX? I'd really like to have a completely different party every now and then than just MC, Lin, Elma plus random someone.

Description of Hope in the guide makes it seem like she's crazy at buffing/debuffing. So going for her. Do you remember her starting level per chance?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is the story really so lacking and terrible as I am reading? Considering I read you pass most of the time doing them, are the side quests at least filled up with stories?

Vitacat

To those who replied to me: Thanks. Will try using X tomorrow. It's after 3am and I need to stop. ;-P

Is the story really so lacking and terrible as I am reading? Considering I read you pass most of the time doing them, are the side quests at least filled up with stories?

I'm on chapter 3 and I like the story. It's just different than the previous game, different focus. The game seems to be about exploration more than anything. The world is jaw dropping and amazing to experience. I am absolutely loving this game so far.

Kinsei

Banned

So far it appears to me that if this was a TV show then the story missions would be the "big" episodes that introduce something major to turn things upside down while the affinity missions (one of the side quest types) are all the other episodes devoted to character building.

Make sure you don't skip out on the affinity missions.

Also now that I've unlocked the heavy armor for 4 of the weapon manufacturers, this is where I appreciate japanese developers for some sweet looking heavy armor/helmets haha. Looking forward to hitting level 25 so I can equip my party with those asap. But not before getting my Skell of course.

Gonna repost since no one answered:

Is there a way to pull up the map on the gamepad when only using the gamepad? Also on the map, what's the various symbols means in each segment? Like some have a check list looking icon, others hand shake, etc

What's suggested on making healing songs get used more?

Really, really loving everything about this.
I do wish you could swap people in your party easier without finding them. Also pretty sure I read a review that said you can't escape battle but that's not true. There is a emergency escape action.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Basically every affinity quest and even some normal type quests is the story, not just the story quests, and when your reviewing a game with a deadline, you arent going to do all of those.

aravuus

Description of Hope in the guide makes it seem like she's crazy at buffing/debuffing. So going for her. Do you remember her starting level per chance?

Sorry, don't remember anything about that. I had been doing a lot of side content by the time I got her and now she's already on the same level as my main party, so probably fairly high.

So far it appears to me that if this was a TV show then the story missions would be the "big" episodes that introduce something major to turn things upside down while the affinity missions (one of the side quest types) are all the other episodes devoted to character building.

Make sure you don't skip out on the affinity missions.

This is a good way to put it. Story missions continue the game's "myth arc" while affinity missions give the characters more depth.

The rest of the missions are meaningless filler in context of the main story, but they have their own little stories to tell.

I'm 80h in and I didn't know about this yet...

How the fuck

Malus

Oblivia day theme is the best field theme I've heard so far out of it, Primordia, and Noctilum. Other than being hilariously loud sometimes, I really like the cutscene music too.

Renewed

Cruising along without a care in the world

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01m5o8p.jpg

Is there a way to pull up the map on the gamepad when only using the gamepad? Also on the map, what's the various symbols means in each segment? Like some have a check list looking icon, others hand shake, etc

When using the Gamepad, you have to tap the screen where the Gamepad icon is to go between Frontier Nav map and Off-TV play.

Soul Voice gets used on conditions so at the bottom of the Soul Voices menu, customize the 4 free options available to you that you feel work well with how you play.

jwhit28

I'm only just starting chapter 4 but for as massive as the game feels, it doesn't seem like there is much variety in equipment. At least it's fun to play Fashionblade.

Kinsei

Banned

1. There's no way. You need to switch back to on tv play and then hit the gamepad icon after looking at the map/fast traveling to return to off TV mode.

2. The list icon means that you need to do a certain quest to fill in that segment, the wolf icon means there's a tyrant there you need to kill to fill in that segment, the handshake icon means that you nee to do a certain affinity mission to fill in that segment, and the sparkles mean you need to find a specific treasure there to fill in that segment.

3. Not sure.

Teknoman

Yeah, alot of the camera controls seem hidden behind holding the buttons down. Really wish this came with a physical manual (never liked reading e-manuals). The font size doesnt really help too since you can gloss over info easily.

Kept having the idea that Monolithsoft should be given the chance to work with some sort of Samus adventure. I could see a Metroid with a Xenobladeish style solo oriented combat system working too. They've certainly got alien design down (even in Saga).

Victrix

*beard*
How do you get more Squad quests to appear? The ones in the bottom right of the screen. The last objective timed out and a new set hasn't appeared.

69wpm

So I turned off button indicators and just realized I could level up skills as well, 20 fucking hours in. My god, what a god damn ridiculous difference.

What. This changes everything.

Also: Every 5 mins some message pops up from people getting a skell. I'm lvl. 25 and still far away from it because I don't rush it. But I'm so jealous :/

Kinsei

Banned
What. This changes everything.

Also: Every 5 mins some message pops up from people getting a skell. I'm lvl. 25 and still far away from it because I don't rush it. But I'm so jealous :/

I ended up turning those messages off after the L+A spam yesterday.

Dad

So between the possible party members seems like my best options are between Hope and Yelv. Hope apparently has crazy buff/debuffing, and Yelv just seems to be an effective support fighter.

I think I might go with Hope. Lin is acting as the Tank for the most part, attracting multiple enemies to her. Elma and myself are the same class/path so we're both doing high damage attacks that are increasingly risky/positional so we need the heat off. And hope would act as the buff/debuffer.

Probably won't matter much once we all have Skells though haha. But that won't be for a while so I'm going in with this mindset. Gotta go grab Hope asap. Probs will do it tomorrow.

Who the fuck is Hope

How many recruitable characters are there and why am I always stuck with Elma and Lin

69wpm

I ended up turning those messages off after the L+A spam yesterday.

Yeah, that is annoying. But I do like the messages because it really feels like you have companions around you even if you can't see them. You can also put them on your ignore list. I still hope Nintendo does something about those spammers.

Kinsei

Banned
Who the fuck is Hope

How many recruitable characters are there and why am I always stuck with Elma and Lin

There are tons. I'm currently between chapters 4 and 5 and already have more recruitable characters than I know what to do with. You get a lot of them via affinity quests.

aravuus

I guess I was too busy running around to care ?

How far in the game are you? Just curious, some of the skills are game changers so I'd imagine the game would be pretty hard if you never leveled them

Turning button prompts/info off in the settings making the menu button info disappear too is the dumbest shit

Who the fuck is Hope

Female Jesus. Far less annoying than that certain other JRPG's Hope, thankfully.

Mendrox

It's not "lacking" it is a different form of story. The main quests are the overall story, but the nice "little" bits are in the affinity quests (which are very nicely written) :) I like this more than Xenoblade Chronicles linear thing.

Also the game is fucking awesome. Played for more than 10 hours straight yesterday and it was a long time ago that I did (and could!) do something like that without getting bored.

Played through all GOTY contenders this year (W3, Bloodborne, Fallout 4 and more that I surely forget) but this game just rocks all their shit. The world looks incredible.

This is the game that Final Fantasy 13 could and should have been...

Doesn't help that I love Hirayuki Sawano.

Andyliini

Today is the day. After work today, I'm finally going to collect my Special Edition from retailer. Hopefully I have time to play the game as well today. I'm so hyped.

R.D.Blax

How far in the game are you? Just curious, some of the skills are game changers so I'd imagine the game would be pretty hard if you never leveled them

Turning button prompts/info off in the settings making the menu button info disappear too is the dumbest shit

I finished chapter 7 some hour ago, didn't have any problem finishing it since I was overleveled by 5 level thanks to all that running around

aravuus

I finished chapter 7 some hour ago, didn't have any problem finishing it since I was overleveled by 5 level thanks to all that running around

What level are you? I've just finished chapter 5 and I'm level 37-ish, wondering just how overleveled I am

Yeah, alot of the camera controls seem hidden behind holding the buttons down. Really wish this came with a physical manual (never liked reading e-manuals). The font size doesnt really help too since you can gloss over info easily.

Kept having the idea that Monolithsoft should be given the chance to work with some sort of Samus adventure. I could see a Metroid with a Xenobladeish style solo oriented combat system working too. They've certainly got alien design down (even in Saga).
I can definitely understand that--a physical manual would definitely be nice to have. At the same time though, the Digital Manual definitely isn't bad at all and has some nice perks to it that would be impossible in a physical manual. For instance, each page in the manual having hyperlinks to other pages in each section for more info on specific topics: if your on a page for one topic in a digital manual, and that page briefly brings up some other topic (like, let's say your on the page for basic combat controls/a description of the combat HUD and the topic of Tension Points comes up), you can typically highlight that topic (in this case, Tension Points) and go directly to the page for that topic for more info on it if you like. Pretty damn handy and not something you can do as easily with a physical manual. So, pros and cons I guess. ^^

Kinsei

Banned
What level are you? I've just finished chapter 5 and I'm level 37-ish, wondering just how overleveled I am

...How? I've done all of the affinity quests available to me, all of the mission board quests that take place in Primordia and almost all of the mission board quests that take place in Noctilim and I'm only level 23.

Dad

There are tons. I'm currently between chapters 4 and 5 and already have more recruitable characters than I know what to do with. You get a lot of them via affinity quests.

Do affinity quests and you'll gain recruits to your troops.
I should have phrased that better. I'm past chapter 5 and have more party members than I know what to do with. I'm just annoyed that the game basically forces Elma and Lin into your party for most missions. It feels like I have a huge pool of other characters that are just going to waste. They should have at least funneled some experience to inactive members like in the original game so they aren't sitting around at level 13 being completely useless

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just came across some grexes eating another monster, thats great, I also saw earlier today a grex just chillin but still attacked me when i got into sight

aravuus

...How? I've done all of the affinity quests available to me, all of the mission board quests that take place in Primordia and almost all of the mission board quests that take place in Noctilim and I'm only level 23.

I've been killing high level monsters. With the right arts and a bit more strategy than just spamming every art all the time, killing medium to large sized monsters even 10 levels above you can be pretty easy, and they give insane EXP (like, enough to level after 4-5 kills)

random25

I should have phrased that better. I'm past chapter 5 and have more party members than I know what to do with. I'm just annoyed that the game basically forces Elma and Lin into your party for most missions. It feels like I have a huge pool of other characters that are just going to waste. They should have at least funneled some experience to inactive members like in the original game so they aren't sitting around at level 13 being completely useless

Oh that's what you mean. I'm not really bothered with Lin and Elma being with me for the most part as they are key people in the story. I just want my other recruits to be easily added to the party when I need them, especially since they go out of the party easily after certain events.

I'm only just starting chapter 4 but for as massive as the game feels, it doesn't seem like there is much variety in equipment. At least it's fun to play Fashionblade.

remember that there are 8 arms manufacturers, and that each has its own version of light, medium and heavy armor (some even have armor for use when inside skells). But you only unlock the different armors when you reach level 3 in their AM level.

I've unlocked the armor of the 4 I currently have and I still have like 7 levels before I can start deciding what I'm gonna wear lol

Is there any way to select buttons during battles faster? Scrolling through them with the d-pad seems slow and I thought maybe I'm missing something...seems like a missed opportunity to use the touchpad to select arts if I may say so though.

Is there any way to select buttons during battles faster? Scrolling through them with the d-pad seems slow and I thought maybe I'm missing something...seems like a missed opportunity to use the touchpad to select arts if I may say so though.

definitely a missed opportunity, considering that soul voices are time sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom