• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickroach

I've been playing for over 4 hours (at the beginning of chapter 3, level 9) and I'm pretty sure I still have no idea what I'm doing in battle. just using all the arts (except for that one that I think heals, but it really doesn't) nonstop whenever they become available. should i just keep smashing A, because it seems to be working? also how do I heal?

also, this is totally reminding me of last year when I played FFXIII (which I also started out by just going thru the motions, really having no idea what I was doing, and waiting for the game to take me somewhere interesting)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I've been killing high level monsters. With the right arts and a bit more strategy than just spamming every art all the time, killing medium to large sized monsters even 10 levels above you can be pretty easy, and they give insane EXP (like, enough to level after 4-5 kills)

This is good to know, because of the melia trick in OG xenoblade, monolithsoft programmed the game so that you wont get much exp off of killing like super high level enemies, so even tho you can knock them into the water using melia, you wont suddenly shoot up 30 levels.

Xane

Just finished Chapter 5 and I'm lv32 :< SO MANY MISSIONS, SO MUCH TO EXPLORE.

So I found a secret cave in Oblivia with like 20 - 30 blue collectibles inside and I've wondered if there are any more of these things in other regions? They're badass for Prospectors as every collectible give 3 Blade XP. Also, Collectapedia!

aravuus

Is there any way to select buttons during battles faster? Scrolling through them with the d-pad seems slow and I thought maybe I'm missing something...seems like a missed opportunity to use the touchpad to select arts if I may say so though.

Nope. I think pressing up or down puts the cursor back to the center (overdrive), but nothing more than that.

Not using the pad's screen in battles at ALL is a massive missed opportunity in general. Being able to execute arts with the touch screen would be great too, but I wish they at least gave me like basic information on the pad. Info on the enemy I'm targeting or something like that.

Robin64

So I found a secret cave in Oblivia with like 20 - 30 blue collectibles inside and I've wondered if there are any more of these things in other regions? They're badass for Prospectors as every collectible give 3 Blade XP. Also, Collectapedia!

Oooh. Whereabouts?

Kinsei

Banned
I've been playing for over 4 hours (at the beginning of chapter 3, level 9) and I'm pretty sure I still have no idea what I'm doing in battle. just using all the arts (except for that one that I think heals, but it really doesn't) nonstop whenever they become available. should i just keep smashing A, because it seems to be working? also how do I heal?

also, this is totally reminding me of last year when I played FFXIII (which I also started out by just going thru the motions, really having no idea what I was doing, and waiting for the game to take me somewhere interesting)

You heal by completing the QTE's and performing soul voice combos. When in battle your party members will tell you to use certain arts. If you do you'll get some health.

Impulsor

Ok, so I'm at chapter... 5? or chapter 4 almost at the end? Do not remeber now.

The thing is, this game, mechanics,so much. So deep, so much stuff to take into account, so much stuff to think about while playing.

I got these things down.

-Soul Voice system. Had to look this one down in the manual but easy once understood.
-Levelling up skills
-Class system
-Blade Levelling system
-Division levelling system
-Combat (duh)
-Probes (would have to dwell deeper into this system to fully grasp it though, to early yet)

I have some questions, please soembody answer me.

Is the game designed so that you stick to your division and class combo for the full length or doe sit favor multi class levelling?

Is there a way to change the class of other characters?

Is there any "healer class", if so, which class is it, and what character has it, other than the MC?

How does the R&D Weapon thingy work?

How much do I miss if I don't play online?

When should I start playing online?

DLC characters, when and where to find them?

Thanks and sorry for the bombardment lol.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately, no, there don't seem to be any settings for text size, sorry. :(
That's a real bummer. I'm playing on a 39" screen, and I'm going to have to sit right up next to the TV. I spose I could play it in the game pad.

Reading about the small text is such a bummer. I'm a pretty good distance away from my 720p 32" TV, so I feel like it will be an annoying experience if I get the game.

RIP.

Xane

Oooh. Whereabouts?

I am happy to provide you a recording of how to get there when I'm back home but I'm at work atm. Basically, in Oblivia, the second south east-most data point, jump down into the shores and skim right until you see a cave opening next to a pillar. Inside, keep looking on the right side for another small entrance to a secret area with a fuckton of collectibles. There should be a orange rectangle on the map as there's also a salvagable wreckage inside.
nGltSKq.jpg

Teknoman

Can you make the text bigger? :(

Im surprised people in Japan didnt complain...unless it wasnt that small there. Gonna keep tweeting NOA and NOE in hopes that someone acknowledges and responds at some point. Both the text and icons in menus need to be bigger. subtitles are fine.

I can definitely understand that--a physical manual would definitely be nice to have. At the same time though, the Digital Manual definitely isn't bad at all and has some nice perks to it that would be impossible in a physical manual. For instance, each page in the manual having hyperlinks to other pages in each section for more info on specific topics: if your on a page for one topic in a digital manual, and that page briefly brings up some other topic (like, let's say your on the page for basic combat controls/a description of the combat HUD and the topic of Tension Points comes up), you can typically highlight that topic (in this case, Tension Points) and go directly to the page for that topic for more info on it if you like. Pretty damn handy and not something you can do as easily with a physical manual. So, pros and cons I guess. ^^

That actually seems pretty handy.

aravuus

Is the game designed so that you stick to your division and class combo for the full length or doe sit favor multi class levelling?

Is there a way to change the class of other characters?

Is there any "healer class", if so, which class is it, and what character has it, other than the MC?

How does the R&D Weapon thingy work?

How much do I miss if I don't play online?

When should I start playing online?

DLC characters, when and where to find them?

Thanks and sorry for the bombardment lol.

1. No, changing classes is more or less encouraged since you don't lose anything by doing it. If you find a class that you like, though, feel free to stick with it. Changing divisions is discouraged (costs money), but you can do it as much as you want, too. Consider changing divisions if you're going to be doing something specific, like collecting collectables, to get the most BLADE exp!

2. Nope

3. Psycorruptor seems to have the most arts that have a healing effect. Not sure if MC has it. At least Hope and Irina are Psycorruptor, there might be more.

4. You invest miranium in companies which then sell better stuff in the store

5. Not that much. Reports are currently worthless since everyone's spamming L+A stuff. You do get reward tickets when your squad finishes missions and tasks, though, which can be used to purchase materials, which obviously leads to less farming if you're planning on crafting something

6. After you finish chapter... 3, I think?

e: jesus christ I'm the biggest poster of this thread lol

TheJoRu

I'm playing this on a 26-inch screen. I have to sit quite close to it as you can imagine, can't see the text otherwise, even with glasses on.

Xane

Also, I still don't get some of the Division rewards. Apparently, Prospectors get Blade XP for mining but what does it determine and how much? Is it worth increasing your mining above your capacity? Speaking of capacity, HOW DO I GET MORE STORAGE UNITS? ;^; I'm at 18k limit and I cannot seem to get any more storage.

bodine1231

This has been my biggest concern while I've been playing. So far I've limited art upgrades to level 3 until I can decide, but I feel like I need to choose pretty soon or I'm going to end up struggling.

Same here. I have no idea what I want my character to be (thinking sniper) so I dont want to dump points into melee skills and not have enough if I want to go ranged. The lack of a respec is really paralyzing.

correojon

I started playing this yesterday and had to force myself to put it down so I could get some sleep before work. The beginning is a bit slow IMO, too many "go here and watch a cutscene" repetition, but when you can finally get out of the city and start exploring it´s awesome. I´m at the start of Chapter 3, just chose my Division (go Interceptors!) and can finally start doing missions. I love how the game has built up hype for Skells, I can´t wait ´till I can get my hands on one!

I´ve died quite a number of times, the battle system is a bit tricky and it takes time to get used to. I still don´t think I have it totally under control but it´s been funny and some of the fights have felt really epic. Also, it´s great to have the freedom to go everywhere to suddenly find a level 81 enemy wandering around. It reminds of me of Dark Souls, where you could go wherever you wished right from the start, but the enemies acted as gates to indirectly guide you. I don´t know if that enemy spawned there on it´s own or if it´s appearance is dynamic, but it really gives me a feeling of danger: "go out and explore, but you might not be safe anywhere!".

One noob question: Is there any penalty for switching Divisions? The game shows the subs in Spanish for me but the audio is in english (I need to see if I can put subs in english as well). While explaining Divisions the audio didn´t say anything about there being a penalty for switching, but the sub said that "other people may not like that you change Divisions".

Impulsor

1. No, changing classes is more or less encouraged since you don't lose anything by doing it. If you find a class that you like, though, feel free to stick with it. Changing divisions is discouraged (costs money), but you can do it as much as you want, too. Consider changing divisions if you're going to be doing something specific, like collecting collectables, to get the most BLADE exp!

2. Nope

3. Psycorruptor seems to have the most arts that have a healing effect. Not sure if MC has it. At least Hope and Irina are Psycorruptor, there might be more.

4. You invest miranium in companies which then sell better stuff in the store

5. Not that much. Reports are currently worthless since everyone's spamming L+A stuff. You do get reward tickets when your squad finishes missions and tasks, though, which can be used to purchase materials, which obviously leads to less farming if you're planning on crafting something

6. After you finish chapter... 3, I think?

e: jesus christ I'm the biggest poster of this thread lol

THANKS!

About miranium, How to get that? Probe mining? I'm assigning the type of probe that benefits the most on each probe site, this is the correct way to do it I assume?

I chose Pathfinders as division too, good one? Don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

I like that I can end up having an all class character. MC has psycorruptor too btw, I thought that Astral Knight and I don't remember the other one, the last two classes, the lightsaber dudes.

anyhting important I might be missing with what I asked and told you I know about already? Other than getting better at the game of course.

Sölf

Did more stuff. Unlocked a new character and will probably unlock another today. After that, no idea. Exploration? Or continue the story? So much stuff to do! D:

So I picked friend squads and it's not letting me pick the two people who friended me for Xenoblade X.

Anyone playing currently with open slots in their squad? I'm east coast so it's 4:30 am here. NNID is Sam as username.

Afternoon class tomorrow.

Golnei

Kept having the idea that Monolithsoft should be given the chance to work with some sort of Samus adventure. I could see a Metroid with a Xenobladeish style solo oriented combat system working too. They've certainly got alien design down (even in Saga).

Some of the creature designs as well as the overall environmental aesthetic would definitely fit in with Metroid. I keep wanting a set of armour based on the Power Suit - it's the one time I wish they'd have gone further with amiibo exploitation.

Though speaking of which, though full armour sets or custom avatar presets would have been too much to hope for, I wonder if it'd have been at all feasible to have amiibo unlock the corresponding character's Smash voiceset as an option for the avatar. Obviously, it wouldn't be implemented for characters like Mario, but the voices of characters like Marth, Pit, Captain Falcon, Palutena, Fox, Link and even Peach could work.

aravuus

THANKS!

About miranium, How to get that? Probe mining? I'm assigning the type of probe that benefits the most on each probe site, this is the correct way to do it I assume?

I chose Pathfinders as division too, good one? Don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

I like that I can end up having an all class character. MC has psycorruptor too btw, I thought that Astral Knight and I don't remember the other one, the last two classes, the lightsaber dudes.

anyhting important I might be missing with what I asked and told you I know about already? Other than getting better at the game of course.

Yeah, probe mining gives you miranium. The number on the lower right corner on the map tells you how much you get every 30 minutes of active gameplay. I haven't honestly paid that much attention to what probes I put and where and I still get almost max miranium (shame there's a max amount you can hold, really) with each return but yeah, usually if a node has high production rank, you should put a mining probe there etc

I'm sure Pathfinders is a good choice, you'll be getting BLADE exp for all the other actions too, you'll just get extra for finding new areas.

As for the last paragraph, hard to say, the game has a fuckton of stuff going on. Learn to use arts that support and boost each other, and try to use them whenever a party member wants you to get a small boost and heal some hp. Remember to level up your arts and skills every now and then. Don't try to do all of the generic missions you can take on the computer thingie, they're infinite and you're just going to burn yourself on the game. Don't use the party gear screen's "equip best gear" button as that ignores augments, which are a far bigger deal than a small stat boost you'd get from a slightly better piece of gear.

And so on, and so on. Ask if you've got questions, there's always someone here to answer.

Sölf;188241155 said:
Did more stuff. Unlocked a new character and will probably unlock another today. After that, no idea. Exploration? Or continue the story? So much stuff to do! D:

I generally do all the affinity and normal missions I can between story missions and when I've got nothing but the generic missions left to do, I proceed with the story

Or just explore. It's a huge fucking world after all.

rockx4

The Weaponized affinity mission kicking my ass :(. That Trump Arenatect mob is slaughtering my party. Anyone have tips on it?

Impulsor

Yeah, probe mining gives you miranium. The number on the lower right corner on the map tells you how much you get every 30 minutes of active gameplay. I haven't honestly paid that much attention to what probes I put and where and I still get almost max miranium (shame there's a max amount you can hold, really) with each return but yeah, usually if a node has high production rank, you should put a mining probe there etc

I'm sure Pathfinders is a good choice, you'll be getting BLADE exp for all the other actions too, you'll just get extra for finding new areas.

As for the last paragraph, hard to say, the game has a fuckton of stuff going on. Learn to use arts that support and boost each other, and try to use them whenever a party member wants you to get a small boost and heal some hp. Remember to level up your arts and skills every now and then. Don't try to do all of the generic missions you can take on the computer thingie, they're infinite and you're just going to burn yourself on the game. Don't use the party gear screen's "equip best gear" button as that ignores augments, which are a far bigger deal than a small stat boost you'd get from a slightly better piece of gear.

And so on, and so on. Ask if you've got questions, there's always someone here to answer.

Thanks, did not know about the strongest gear thingy in the menu, will stop using it then.

thanks for the heads up on the questing system. I did know about the arts and skills though.

Can't wait to get home!

Xenoboy

You guys are already at Chapter 5+ it seems...
I haven't even started Ch.4 :p
Quick question -
In the e-manual there's pic of the affinity chart between Elma and Vandham, how do I see something like that in-game?
Like there's comments on how they feel about each other.

Rootbeer

Banned
It was a loooong weekend not being able to play this game due to a shipping error. Hope I can join you guys later today T__T

foxuzamaki

idk if its the group im in now, but people keep complaining about L+A spam, I didnt know what that is for like an hour until i looked to my right and see that it changes the things there so you can favorite posts and such.

Raide

If I wanted to start a new Character, what options do I have?

Also, How do I join a GAF Group? Is it based upon the ones in the friends list?

aravuus

idk if its the group im in now, but people keep complaining about L+A spam, I didnt know what that is for like an hour until i looked to my right and see that it changes the things there so you can favorite posts and such.

Yeah, and reports with lots of favorites seem to keep repeating. So now I'm seeing either "Press L+A to praise Felix" or "Stop pressing L+A ffs" all the time lmao

Will probably turn the report stuff off if this keeps up

foxuzamaki

Im starting to think I should have gone with pathfinder, as I keep going out and getting probes, even went into a area with all 31 worthogs without getting caught once and hardly being sneaky only to find out my mechanical level was too low to get the probe, making me salty, how do you level up mechanical anyways?

DAE think Noctilum was a really tiny continent when you first went there? I didn't scroll up on the gamepad for quite a bit there. I'll be surprised if the last two continent surpass this one in epicness.

Raide

Im starting to think I should have gone with pathfinder, as I keep going out and getting probes, even went into a area with all 31 worthogs without getting caught once and hardly being sneaky only to find out my mechanical level was too low to get the probe, making me salty, how do you level up mechanical anyways?

You can choose to increase it as your BLADE Level goes up.

foxuzamaki

Yeah, and reports with lots of favorites seem to keep repeating. So now I'm seeing either "Press L+A to praise Felix" or "Stop pressing L+A ffs" all the time lmao

Will probably turn the report stuff off if this keeps up

lol yeah, for right now, its a bit funny so im fine with it on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
DAE think Noctilum was a really tiny continent when you first went there? I didn't scroll up on the gamepad for quite a bit there. I'll be surprised if the last two continent surpass this one in epicness.

Well, there's a couple of affinity quests that take you there around level 24 and let me tell you that you ain't seen shit yet.

Quadraxis

Just some random ramblings:

- Targeting parts is a wonderful addition to the battle system. I couldn't give up to Oskar(lol at all the reaactions to him in the Thread) so after refining my tactic i thought i would focus his horns first, as they did that AoE attack. So the battle starts, i take some AoE laser attacks but i manage and destroy the horn. No laser attacks anymore :D after that it was just wittling him down. Felt good to kill him at lvl 15. Another case of this was a tyrant robot in Oblivia during Chapter 5, i encountered him, was lvl 20 and he 22. Just thought go for it. First hit he does with his blaster below him hurt a lot, so i just focus that thing and dismantle him during the fight. Feels so good to kill him like that.

- Size does matter in this game. Oskar is an example to this, but i can make other comparisons. For example there are lvl 21 prones in oblivia, and there is the lvl 21 horse thing that you encounter at the entrance in oblivia. I can't defeat those stupid horse things at all and the i demolish the prone guys(was lvl 19-20 at the time). So be careful around big monsters, although that is kinda obvious :p

- Blast enforcer is the best thing ever. Love the class. Made my other party members to take attention and reduce defense, i wait for the melee attack prompt and let the secondary bar fill up and when its time, starfall blade into starfall rondo slaugthers enemies. Just sooo fun :D. Can't wait to lvl up the Galaxy Knight class.

So yeah, i'm enjoying my time with the game :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, the first Tyrant bet me. Are there any decent quick-start guides to this game? Like, I don't really have many strategic options available. Is the game expecting me to spend time grinding first?

Xane

You can choose to increase it as your BLADE Level goes up.

That reminds me to ask.. I'm currently Mechanic lv4 but I've seen data points that needed lv5. But it is greyed out when I level up my BLADE. I assume I have to be of a specific BLADE level first to unlock the lv5?

Raide

well, the first Tyrant bet me. Are there any decent quick-start guides to this game? Like, I don't really have many strategic options available. Is the game expecting me to spend time grinding first?

The first, first story Tyrant? A little grinding will help but nailing the Soul Voice Callouts usually means Winning or Loosing. Just make sure you equip the strongest gear you have for all your followers. I think there is a Sub Menu option for this in the Ground Gear Section.

That reminds me to ask.. I'm currently Mechanic lv4 but I've seen data points that needed lv5. But it is greyed out when I level up my BLADE. I assume I have to be of a specific BLADE level first to unlock the lv5?

I could be utterly wrong but I think each BLADE level you go up you can raise it by 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom