• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Falcs

Banned
Is it really that much of an issue that you don't get to choose her dialogue responses in conversations? You can already play her as your main character in every other respect.
I meant more that your avatar is basically completely pointless. I'd be perfectly happy if he didn't exist and the game just starts off with you being Elma.

But really, nah it's not that big a deal. The game is so awesome anyway.

Wait a damn second do my saves not do anything? I just cleared this massive section saw a hard guy saved fought and died and now I'm back at the very beginning of the area and can't see how to reload...wtf

Haunted

Yeah, a reload button would've been nice.

I've had to go back to title screen a couple times once I got (and of course, lost) my first training Skell. :D

You have to reset if you want to reload a save.

Whaaaaaaa.

That seems crazy. Lord and with how long it takes to load up no thanks. Why the hell would they do that.

On a side point anything about the combat that I should know that isn't immediately apparent?

So far I'm deducing:
- move to enemies blind sides
- b countdown is a critical damage/evasion multiplier
- use certain skills in conjunction with others - Ability that topples + Weapon that wrecks toppled dudes

Anything else?
Also I'm a lvl 10 Drifter. Should I pick another class at this point?

Whaaaaaaa.

That seems crazy. Lord and with how long it takes to load up no thanks. Why the hell would they do that.

On a side point anything about the combat that I should know that isn't immediately apparent?

So far I'm deducing:
- use certain skills in conjunction with others - Ability that topples + Weapon that wrecks toppled dudes

Anything else?

You can exit to the title screen to reload your save.

Also change your class. You don't need to stick to one until end game. The last class in a chain allows you to master weapon types so you can use them in any class.

Steejee

Save system is basically just inventory + stats + mission states (meaning no enemy placements/info or things like that). Game doesn't seem to store much more than that, which is fine by me even if I've reaaaaally wished I could hop back to my last save and have it be exactly as it was at that point.

Anyways, 100% probe coverage, finally! Finishing up Cauldaros was fun - I actually stayed on the ground for a good chunk of it and was pretty surprised how many probe points had lower level mobs (like level 10 at one). Sylvalum was actually my final zone to get coverage, thankfully those were all open air.

After the initial rush of basically flying everywhere, I've pruned back my flight a lot and stick to the ground when possible. Keeps that sense of scale (especially in Cauldaros) and prevents me from burning through fuel like candy.

Haunted

Anything else?
You should switch. It'll set you back a bit in the short term and you'll be weaker at lvl 1 of any of the more advanced classes, but your end game will be stronger at lvl 10 of that class than lvl 10 drifter. Most importantly, if you master the final class in any chain you unlock the use of its weapon (and associated skills) for any class - which is vital to mix and match your favourite skills for an end-game build.

eaise

Neo Member
That's a gravity based attack and you need to stack your gravity res up to 130++ to reflect it. And you only need reflect grav, ether and physic augs to fight Pharsis.

Ok so the higher your resistance to an attribute the more of it you can reflect. That's something I didn't know. Thank you!

I only had all reflects equipped because I wasn't sure what attributes she used as I'd never fought her. Being able to use other augs now should help too

MomoQca

Just finished chapter 8. Shit's startin' to go down, mang!!

Elma is so fricken awesome! I wish she was the main character that you control instead of your boring, silent Avatar.

You CAN control Elma. In fact, I've been playing as her since Chapter 1. :)

Edit: Never mind lol.

Neiteio

OMG

Guys

You need to strip down to your undies and run through Primordia

Doesn't matter where — just get naked, pick a direction and RUN

Never before have I felt so free in a videogame

Golnei

OMG

Guys

You need to strip down to your undies and run through Primordia

Doesn't matter where — just get naked, pick a direction and RUN

Never before have I felt so free in a videogame

The default underwear is far too restrictive. I have no idea how anyone's supposed to feel free in that.

vareon

You guys just sell collectibles?

Don't. You can complete the collectopedia, and many of the collectibles are required for quests. If you want a quick affinity or money you can hop to the mission control to pick missions in which you have already completed the objectives.

Selling loot isn't the main way of making money here either, questing and research probes are.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh man people should really explore NLA between chapters, ESPECIALLY when you got a bunch of xenos moving in.

You get hilarious shit like Nopon committing adultery, hobo Nopon, xeno harem night parties, devoltanizing parties, and all that shit!

So to accomplish any of these squad tasks is just luck right?
I'm wandering all over the damn place and none of the targets in my list are anywhere

Don't. You can complete the collectopedia, and many of the collectibles are required for quests. If you want a quick affinity or money you can hop to the mission control to pick missions in which you have already completed the objectives.

Selling loot isn't the main way of making money here either, questing and research probes are.

Thanks so much!

Steejee

Don't think I've sold a single collectable or even piece of gear (though I really should clear out my gear inventory). Just gives peanuts compared to the probes, and too much time for a small return.

Random non-spoiler question for anyone who's finished the main story - is there any reason to hold off on story missions aside from level/readiness? Meaning, is there anything you felt you should have done before missions 10, 11, or 12 that would have made those better? I've already finished 9, so I've taken care of the one thing I knew I could miss. Been sorta dragging it out, almost like finishing the story would ruin the game world for me, but that's probably a silly expectation. Starting to feel like I should commit to finishing just so I don't have to worry about story spoilers anymore...

Haunted

You guys just sell collectibles?
After putting them into the collectopedia, I'd say it's safe to sell them down to 30 or so. You'll rarely, if ever need more than that amount for a single quest. Most of them don't give a great return though, there are only a few that are even worth the clicks it takes to sell them. :D

So to accomplish any of these squad tasks is just luck right?
I'm wandering all over the damn place and none of the targets in my list are anywhere
They basically assume that you have fast travel access to all five continents and a flying Skell, since the squad tasks are randomised, the monsters and collectibles could be pretty much anywhere.

Like basic gathering missions, I wouldn't even consciously pursue them - just take some enemies out when you come across a marked mob while you do other stuff, but otherwise, it shouldn't even be a focus.

Here's a complete list online if you want to make a concerted effort. (location and enemy spoilers, obviously).

Slow start but now 10 hrs in I'm really really into this game

protips
planes and cars usually have probes in them so get them asap
oh and get rid of your lv 20 starter skell and grind to lv 30 and get a real one asap
youll thank me later
going Full Metal Jaguar and Duelist will make your life easier postgame for whats to come

random25

Remember that running in and out of the Cauldros Waters is faster than "Return to Skell" for changing the weather :p

Changing the weather isn't really much a problem for me. Getting EM storm is. I think I only got one EM storm in Cauldros my whole playthrough and everything else is just Brimstone or Rainbow lol. Maybe I will try my luck tomorrow.

rhandino

Banned
Oh god, now I have ANOTHER team comprised of Frye, Celica and L and now I am grinding affinity, levels, skills for them while doing even more normal quests.

And there was an incredible heartwarming quest about and
Orphean
who is really scared and his plan to
tame a beast to protect him
leads him to meet and make friend with another Xenoforms in the Ma-non ship. So cute.

Slow start but now 10 hrs in I'm really really into this game
Awesome, I got REALLY into this the moment I started to explore Noctilum and noticed how environments and fauna can change inside the same continents.

Oh god, now I have ANOTHER team comprised of Frye, Celica and L and now I am grinding affinity, levels, skills for them while doing even more normal quests.
What a coincidence, I happen to be affinity grinding these exact three as well :p (though I'm waiting to max out my A&M shops before buying new gear for Celica and L who I actually plan on using)

Was your thought process also "well, Celica and L are easy to find, go away Gwyn, Frye is easy to find as well so I'll pick him up too"?

boxter432

Changing the weather isn't really much a problem for me. Getting EM storm is. I think I only got one EM storm in Cauldros my whole playthrough and everything else is just Brimstone or Rainbow lol. Maybe I will try my luck tomorrow.

I had the same problem...got some tips on here to do it early morning..and I got an EM storm on my first fast travel, before that I had traveled and returned to skell over 40 times. So do it Early Morning and you should get one.

Steejee

Whenever I wanted a specific weather event I camp out at a BC and just kept changing the time ahead a few hours until I get what I want. Seems to work pretty well + is fairly quick and easy.

protips
planes and cars usually have probes in them so get them asap
oh and get rid of your lv 20 starter skell and grind to lv 30 and get a real one asap
youll thank me later
going Full Metal Jaguar and Duelist will make your life easier postgame for whats to come

So appreciated! I have no idea what any of that means but I'll be sure and do all of it.

Thanks!

Neiteio

Whaaaaaaa.

So far I'm deducing:

Anything else?
Here are some of the basics:

You switch between your melee weapon and your ranged weapon by tapping X. Your ranged weapon allows you to attack from afar; it does less damage but you can keep a safe distance from enemies. Your melee attacks do more damage but you must be closer to your target; melee attacks will also agro an enemy, causing it to focus on you.

The same applies to your ranged arts (the yellow icons) and melee arts (the orange icons). Note that every time you use an art, there's a cooldown period. There are two cooldown periods: the first determines when you can use the art again, and the second (measured by the green circle filling up around the icon) determines when you can use it at full strength. If you wait until the second cooldown is complete, the art will be much stronger!

You can make the cooldown go faster by using auto-attacks of the same kind. So for example, let's say you want to use the Tornado Blade art again, and you want to use it at full power. It's a melee art, so to make the green circle fill up faster, use your melee auto-attacks!

And yes, it's generally safer to attack from the sides of an enemy, or behind an enemy. Also note that if you cycle between different parts of an enemy by tapping R, you can target different parts of their body (in some cases). Last night, I fought a boss where targeting his hands caused him to topple. There are also attacks that can induce topple. When an enemy is toppled, they'll be more vulnerable to attacks!

Also take advantage of your arts that buff you or debuff your enemies. One move (a blue icon — I forget its name) replenishes your HP over a period of time, and increases your defense (I think), but it makes your attacks weaker while the buff is in effect.

Also note the number next to your health bar in the upper-right of the screen. Those are your Tension Points, or TP. These build as you use attacks. Once they're over 3,000 (if I recall correctly), you can use them to revive fallen comrades. Simply stand over them and hit A to revive them.

Also, when the game prompts you to hit the B button, try to do so while the line is inside the ring. This will produce positive effects, such as healing teammates.

And when your teammates say to use melee attacks, ranged attacks or auras (buffs/debuffs), it'll make arts of those kinds pulsate on your screen; choosing those arts at that time will allow you to unleash a powered-up version of it. So use melee attacks when told, ranged attacks when told, etc!

This should help you get started and make the fighting go more smoothly.

eaise

Neo Member
I have beaten Pharis the Everqueen with my ground build (and after several times finally got the hologram for her).
Now I want to find a way to kill Telethia the Endbringer. My skell isn't anywhere near ready unfortunately. Is it possible to fight Telethia with ground build?
Like can I lure him to the ground and then fight him?

Is it possible to fight
Telethia
with ground build?
Yeah, I've only seen it done with a Gatling Gun build though, and even that used a skell to lure it.

EDIT: That might be a spoiler for players that haven't started the game, so I'm gonna be on the safe side.

Malus

Yeah, I've only seen it done with a Gatling Gun build though, and even that used a skell to lure it.

EDIT: That might be a spoiler for players that haven't started the game, so I'm gonna be on the safe side.

I wish this were considered a spoiler by everybody but it was basically common knowledge leading up to release :(

eaise

Neo Member

I can lure it with a skell and am using a reflect build so I should be able to win...think I'm gonna try. Thanks for the info

I guess I should've put the name is spoiler tag. My apologies

EDIT: what attributes does he use. I know ether. What others?

Let me double check, does anyone have the Japanese Volkampf numbers? This is what I remember (though I know the sales are correct until we get an end-of-year update for titles that were below-Top 20 on the trackers, I don't think there was ever another update on digital sales in Japan after the first week).

500k in the US, I meant. I think is doable since Nintendo games are not as front loaded in the US as they are in JP.

eaise

Neo Member
Can't get
The Endbringer
close enough to standable ground he always flies way above.Luring him with a skell isn't working for me. I don't know how someone managed to that

Neiteio

The default underwear is far too restrictive. I have no idea how anyone's supposed to feel free in that.
Luckily for you, the diving bottoms have a convenient opening in the front, just north of the love button, and Elma shaved for aerodynamics!

(I'm a bit surprised by the "female armor" in this game, although refreshingly, one of the NPCs in the commercial district laments the risqué designs)

Top Bottom