• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Silvard

I got this game at release but I only just started playing it a couple of days ago because I was traveling for then holiday and... holy fuck, this game has so much shit in it. It's insane. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. There's fucking everything.

Is Rexoskell the hardest boss pre game? Should I bother trying to beat it pre game or try again post game? (Just finished chapter 11).

Yeah this guy took me like 10 tries. I had my party at 40+ and got Mechanoid Slayer XX augments on all of their weapons.

I heard it helps if you have Blossom Dance art too but I beat him without it. My team mates died a lot but I had this art where I gave away my TP which helped with reviving fallen members.

Zareka

Snipe Hunt side quest:
Do I really gotta pay out five HUNDRED g's to complete this? There's no other way? Apart from not getting the Ma-non shot to begin with, obviously.

Branson

So, are any heart to hearts required to finish the game? Also are the hearts in the affinity chart equaling 1 affinity each? Or is it a full 5 hearts equal 1 affinity?

So, are any heart to hearts required to finish the game? Also are the hearts in the affinity chart equaling 1 affinity each? Or is it a full 5 hearts equal 1 affinity?

1.) No
2.) 1 heart = 1 affinity. Each character has 5 heart-to-hearts, 1 for each heart/affinity level

GWX

I'm enjoying the game but I'm overwhelmed with the freedom this game offers. I often complete a quest and then think, "Okay now what do I do?" I miss the linearity of the first game. I was hoping I wouldn't be wiki'ing every quest as I did in Xenoblade but that's essentially the only way for me to enjoy the game (unless I can use follow ball to the next objective, wish every quest used it). Any tips on what I should be focusing on so I can get addicted to a gameplay loop? I really need my gameplay loop.

No matter what you choose, you'll make progress. That's the beauty of it. There were times I just wanted to explore with no mission active whatsoever, and it paid off every time. What I end up doing most of the times is coupling exploration with normal missions until I feel comfortable enough to tackle a story mission. Sometimes I mix it up with affinity missions, which there are tons of as well (so much great content in this game, I love it). I got the flying module 15h ago, and I haven't progressed the main story since, nor I feel the need to :lol. Exploring and completing missions is too much fun.

I know I'm probably the only person that's had problems with this fight but I can't beat that blue chick in chapter 4. I'm level 15 and I've spent about an hour trying to beat her. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I don't know how to heal my party members when they scream heal me. God this is frustrating. I hate this about RPGs sometimes.

I must've been overlevelled or something, cuz I beat that bitch's ass with no problem.

Branson

I must've been overlevelled or something, cuz I beat that bitch's ass with no problem.
Whoa. Lol. This is way before I got most things figured out with the game. I'm doing fine now but damn. I think I was under leveled when I started this fight and wasn't sure what the combat nuances were.

I'm sad I picked this game up a couple of months late. I wish this thread was as active as I saw it back then.

Malus

Maybe I'll just do that. Wasn't looking forward to farming all those ultrafauna XX augs

Those slayer augs are some of the easier to make in the game. Light on precious resource usage too.

You do know their is an 'auto-run' function right? Just pick that and the character will keep running without need to input anything (is what I do to just traverse land). Same function as using a 'rubber band'

Bah! Doesn't hold a candle to the elegant design of the rubber band solution :p

edit: 250 hours in..."let's go do some survey completion for Primordia...oh shit new cave"

Silvard

So I finally unlocked the multiplayer mode I think? The squads.

Which of the two options should I take? Lifehold or conquest? What's the difference? Can I switch later?

Is there a GAF squad? If so how would I join it?

Renewed

So I finally unlocked the multiplayer mode I think? The squads.

Which of the two options should I take? Lifehold or conquest? What's the difference? Can I switch later?

Is there a GAF squad? If so how would I join it?

Squads put you in one at random if you don't pick friends or favourites. Lifehold squads are usually players who want to focus on single player stuff and not worry about multiplayer things. Conquest squads are for multiplayer focused people who may want to clear squad tasks or do Global Nemesis fights.

You can always change the type of squad you're in from the main menu and social, then squad select. You'd have to add people and coordinate to team up in a squad (or just join on someone you see online).

Silvard

Squads put you in one at random if you don't pick friends or favourites. Lifehold squads are usually players who want to focus on single player stuff and not worry about multiplayer things. Conquest squads are for multiplayer focused people who may want to clear squad tasks or do Global Nemesis fights.

You can always change the type of squad you're in from the main menu and social, then squad select. You'd have to add people and coordinate to team up in a squad (or just join on someone you see online).

Does it place me in a random squad every time I launch the game or is it more like a semi permanent guild thing?

Does XenoGAF usually squad up to do things?

Does XenoGAF usually squad up to do things?
I do. I like to kill the squad tasks. I usually do online missions as well.

Does it place me in a random squad every time I launch the game or is it more like a semi permanent guild thing?
I think it's a random squad if you just click conquest but you can join squads your friends are in.

doop_

Banned
Many questions.
Where can i find Lao hanging out ?
Any good grinding spots for a level 20 duelist struggling with chapter 5 ?
Should i replace Lin ?

Where can i find Lao hanging out ?
At the end of the Division Drive, where you see the road ending to a cliff.

Any good grinding spots for a level 20 duelist struggling with chapter 5 ?
Hmm, Noctolum is full of enemies in their 20's.

Should i replace Lin ?
Considering the game wants you to use her for every story mission and most of the affinity missions, no.

Finished chapter 11. Finished the mission where Lara Mara
sends you to find the Lifehold piece in Sylvalum, and you bring it back and Vandham is excited, but Lara Mara says they couldn't give you a raise because BLADE contracts are set in stone.
Then immediately after that I start the mission where the reward is
5,000,000 credits. BLADE contracts are set in stone though so I was very excited to complete the mission.

Also, I can kinda tell that Definian Downfall is available for me to start, but I know there's a big choice that I have to make at the end, so I didn't want to start before knowing the pros and cons of the options. I know what the choice is. Which should I pick?

Finalow

I sure wish there were more online co-op missions, or rather, more variety and interesting worth-playing stuff. I barely used 5 medals because those ''global nemesis missions'' get boring and dull very quickly.
not going to 100% the game but I don't think I'm very far from it, *I believe* I've done almost all the the side-quests and all the regions are around 70-80%. played this game for a lot of hours so I'm going to stop now, enjoyed it quite a bit, for the most part.

Malus

The Lurker normal mission:
Just fought a group of Gi Zang Shadow Clones from sunset to night. Caught a pic of one of them doing a jump slash over the sunset. Awesome.

mclem

I've been playing for about a week - just finished chapter 4, done a ton of side stuff - but there's one thing I don't think I've grasped and either it's not covered in the OP or (perhaps more likely!) It's covered in a topic I've avoided through fear of spoilers...

It's regarding how weapons and armour vary. In particular, I'm getting a bit thrown with things like:

Worn Titanium Shield
Titanium Shield

...yet they're apparently pretty much identical in stats terms. Why use the latter over the former? The name makes It sound like it ought to be better. Is it something to do with the random augments?

As something of a corollary to that: I've not seen any explanation as to when and how you should take into account the *weight* of armour. I've not noticed any compelling reason to use lighter armour (with lower defence) over the same-tier version of heavy armour - there must be one, I have to assume, but it doesn't seem that apparent from the stats. The only thing I have observed is that heavy armour has 'lower gravity resistance' (If I'm cross-referencing the icons right) - but it's not really apparent what gravity damage is, how prevalent it is, and whether that's something I necessarily need to be concerned with in the more general case.

And then there's the novelty 'casual' items (work suit, school blazer, that sort of thing), which for some reason have massive def values. Where's the catch?

I've been playing for about a week - just finished chapter 4, done a ton of side stuff - but there's one thing I don't think I've grasped and either it's not covered in the OP or (perhaps more likely!) It's covered in a topic I've avoided through fear of spoilers...

It's regarding how weapons and armour vary. In particular, I'm getting a bit thrown with things like:

Worn Titanium Shield
Titanium Shield

...yet they're apparently pretty much identical in stats terms. Why use the latter over the former? The name makes It sound like it ought to be better. Is it something to do with the random augments?

As something of a corollary to that: I've not seen any explanation as to when and how you should take into account the *weight* of armour. I've not noticed any compelling reason to use lighter armour (with lower defence) over the same-tier version of heavy armour - there must be one, I have to assume, but it doesn't seem that apparent from the stats. The only thing I have observed is that heavy armour has 'lower gravity resistance' (If I'm cross-referencing the icons right) - but it's not really apparent what gravity damage is, how prevalent it is, and whether that's something I necessarily need to be concerned with in the more general case.

And then there's the novelty 'casual' items (work suit, school blazer, that sort of thing), which for some reason have massive def values. Where's the catch?
I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but yes, heavy armor has lower gravity resistance. I wouldn't worry about that too much though, I've only seen it come up a few times in ground combat.

As for the catch on some novelty items, they often take up multiple armor slots.

Malus

I feel like Gradivus is the postgame version of Vainamo the Bellower. You look at his level and think he shouldn't be a problem...oh boy.

Malus

I'm lazy and half the pic is taken up by battle UI so

giphy.gif

whoops double post sorry

-Horizon-

I feel like Gradivus is the postgame version of Vainamo the Bellower. You look at his level and think he shouldn't be a problem...oh boy.
I needed 3 level 50 mechs to take the bellower down. Maybe I didn't need that many but after quite a few failed attempts with level 30 mechs, I was pretty agitated lol.
Screw that stupid jump attack it has. Even when you break its legs it'll still jump somehow :/

I wonder if Knives/Psycho Launchers is a good weapon setup. Thinking of migrating to Knives from Longsword.

Haha yeah. Levels simply stop mattering for Tyrants in the post game, there are Tyrants I can beat no problem with a ground build that are level 80 but then there are level 60 Tyrants that use an enemy type that makes them straight up impossible for my character.

Renewed

You'll see with weapons that they apply a naming format of [x] [y] [z]. It's more obvious as you compare battle trait levels between equipment but X and Y tell you the quality of the equipment. Like, Ultra y1 or Ultra y2. They both fall under level 60 gear but y1 has higher battle traits (like XV) than y2 (XIII or something). And then Z is just something that applies specifically to weapon type (ie. Machine for Gatling Gun, Dyads for Dual Guns). I don't pay enough attention to lower level equipment but it might be the same rule there.

Some stuff was mentioned like gravity resistance, but another thing is upgrade limit. On heavy pieces you find in the field, you can have up to 6 upgrades before you can't upgrade that armour piece anymore. As you go lighter and up to Skell wear, you'll see higher upgrade limits which let you max out more armour traits that you might like.

And yeah, casual wear defence values are deceptive since it takes up to 4 slots. Only good for fashion gear later on (if you choose equip strongest gear it won't factor in battle traits on your gear).

The naive me from 3 weeks ago... poor sap. Now I'm messing around with Arts like Maximum Voltage/Drum Roll/Ether Blast and it's the only thing that'll survive long enough for me to get to Overdrive Max... until I go try this all out on the Ultrafauna or other superbosses. Maybe I should mess with Overdrive Count Up XX

Malus

You'll see with weapons that they apply a naming format of [x] [y] [z]. It's more obvious as you compare battle trait levels between equipment but X and Y tell you the quality of the equipment. Like, Ultra y1 or Ultra y2. They both fall under level 60 gear but y1 has higher battle traits (like XV) than y2 (XIII or something). And then Z is just something that applies specifically to weapon type (ie. Machine for Gatling Gun, Dyads for Dual Guns). I don't pay enough attention to lower level equipment but it might be the same rule there.

Some stuff was mentioned like gravity resistance, but another thing is upgrade limit. On heavy pieces you find in the field, you can have up to 6 upgrades before you can't upgrade that armour piece anymore. As you go lighter and up to Skell wear, you'll see higher upgrade limits which let you max out more armour traits that you might like.

And yeah, casual wear defence values are deceptive since it takes up to 4 slots. Only good for fashion gear later on (if you choose equip strongest gear it won't factor in battle traits on your gear).

The naive me from 3 weeks ago... poor sap. Now I'm messing around with Arts like Maximum Voltage/Drum Roll/Ether Blast and it's the only thing that'll survive long enough for me to get to Overdrive Max... until I go try this all out on the Ultrafauna or other superbosses. Maybe I should mess with Overdrive Count Up XX

I spent like 10 hours grinding augments for my Skell, so I'm doing it with this build or not at all >.<

I've only fought him once, and while he wasn't doing much damage to me he RAN AWAY and reset the fight. I dunno if this is a gimmick or just bad luck lol.

Y'know it just occured to me but I was always waiting for the infamous "Repair Job" mission I heard so much about. Turns out it was form early game and I must've already had whatever it needed haha.

klee123

Wow at Ares 90.........

Despite that equipment can't be changed, its existing equipment pretty much can tear through 95% of the enemies in the game.

Sure makes farming mats a lot easier that's for sure lol.

Malus

Wow at Ares 90.........

Despite that equipment can't be changed, its existing equipment pretty much can tear through 95% of the enemies in the game.

Sure makes farming mats a lot easier that's for sure lol.

Throw some weapon speed xx on the gatling and grinding tickets goes by like nothing.

Malus

Just killed Gravidus. Probably woulda had him the first time if he didn't RUN AWAY.

I think having 500 evasion pretty much kept him from hitting me.

"Whew. Beat him. He sure had a lo-WOO MINED 4 BONJELIUMS"

Just killed Gravidus. Probably woulda had him the first time if he didn't RUN AWAY.

I think having 500 evasion pretty much kept him from hitting me.

"Whew. Beat him. He sure had a lo-WOO MINED 4 BONJELIUMS"

I had to look up who it was and then when I looked at his HP my immediate thought was -- no freaking wonder I was hardly doing any damage! I actually was but his HP is just so damn high!

Malus

Just a heads up, I heard somewhere on gamefaqs you can spawn Electromagnetic Storm weather by doing the return to skell thing during 5am-7am. Tested it twice now in Oblivia and Cauldros and got EM storm within a couple tries :D

edit: And right on cue Coil the Neverending down. I was dreading "farming" for em storm.

Top Bottom