• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

I loved how Go-rha, the Guardian Deity, was still a surprising ass to fight even 150hrs in and you're piloting the most uber of Skells.
NOW EAT MY BURST STREAM OF DESTRUCTI---oh shit.

What about the one in the small island to the west of Sylvalum? :p

massoluk

Banned
I finally beat that asshole lobster. Was thinking this guy was impossible then I picked classes with topple mechanical and he suddenly became a joke. :|

It would be even better if they just scrapped the new heart to heart system and went vack to the old one entirely. Fuck this daily life shit. Just tell me where they are at what time like the gamepad already does. And leave it at that.

Golnei

What the hell was that giant thing that
she's your life in chapter 6?

In his last affinity mission, L tells you that it
serves as a judge of all life tasked to purge impure creatures; which explains why it went after the Tainted and not you
, but nothing in the game directly addresses how
a Telethia can exist on Mira in the first place

I might misunderstand you, but what's exclusive with, say, this situation: Murderess is not at her spot, we give a call and she's "Can it wait? I'm in the middle of something", and we overhear guy saying he saw Murderess at the cafe? Immersion achieved, but there's convenience, too.

That'd be a reasonable solution from a gameplay perspective, but it'd complicate things by needing even more writing to implement. Every individual heart to heart from every character having its own corresponding conversation if you try and remotely add a party member wouldn't be an insignificant amount of text, even if each were only a few lines long.

rhandino

Banned
My brother has been using almost exclusively Elma, Lin and Lao and he is now starting chapter
. kii

Meanwhile I'm being sidetracked doing bounties and arms testing quests and still ready to start chapter 11 so I think that next week I'm going to wrap the story to start tackling all the post-game content now that my character is Lvl. 60 and I have 4 Lvl. 50 Skells...

Steejee

My brother has been using almost exclusively Elma, Lin and Lao and he is now starting chapter
. kii

Meanwhile I'm being sidetracked doing bounties and arms testing quests and still ready to start chapter 11 so I think that next week I'm going to wrap the story to start tackling all the post-game content now that my character is Lvl. 60 and I have 4 Lvl. 50 Skells...

I decided to finish chapter 12 before finishing too much side quest stuff in part because after around chapter 10 it felt like side questing didn't feel thematically 'right' with how close the countdown was to 0. Now after 12 doing the sidequest stuff almost feels like we got over the big crisis and we're working on the more day-to-day rebuilding stuff. Works out pretty well and some of the stories are pretty awesome.

I loved how Go-rha, the Guardian Deity, was still a surprising ass to fight even 150hrs in and you're piloting the most uber of Skells.

I first ran into him when I first got to Noctilum and just saw some collectibles near a neat statue. I was like 'Hey, cool statue' *aggro music, statue gets up* OH CRAP *bzzzrraaam*

I was laughing too hard at Monolithsoft's deviousness to be angry.

What the hell was that giant thing that
she's your life in chapter 6?

Sorta spoilers for Xenoblade Chronicles and XBX, but not very big ones:

That's a Telethia, which in XBC was a creation of the Bionis (the big thing you're on) that exists to protect it. In XBX it seems to be somewhat similar - a Telethia is a Mira creation that is serving Mira somehow. The one in Ch 6 never plays a part in the story again, and you're left to your own devices to decide why it helped, but you can actually find it out and about as a fightable Tyrant.

Thinking about getting another TP: Arts Gain XX and using
the Rustsword and Weapon ATtack XX to bring it up to 888 Attack
to make my DPS not terrible.

It'll be a long grind ahead.

Malus

It would be even better if they just scrapped the new heart to heart system and went vack to the old one entirely. Fuck this daily life shit. Just tell me where they are at what time like the gamepad already does. And leave it at that.

Aw hell naw. the old system of heart to hearts just being inaccessible gray icons scattered across the map was terribly boring by comparison. Nothing like walking through the residential district and finding L
practicing his innovative new cardio routine.
If I really can't find them then I can choose to cave in and look it up online, rather than have the game ruin the surprise for me automatically.

I might misunderstand you, but what's exclusive with, say, this situation: Murderess is not at her spot, we give a call and she's "Can it wait? I'm in the middle of something", and we overhear guy saying he saw Murderess at the cafe? Immersion achieved, but there's convenience, too.

Anyway this is dragging too much into the what if territory while the game is clearly not, so I apologize.

I don't think talking about the game's mechanics and what you'd like to see changed is terribly off topic. Someone suggested that the characters tell you where they are when you call them, which is incompatible with disovering where they are through town exploration or overhearing where they are from NPCs. It would work fine if they just told you they were busy and left it at that.

Aw hell naw. the old system of heart to hearts just being inaccessible gray icons scattered across the map was terribly boring by comparison. Nothing like walking through the residential district and finding L
practicing his innovative new cardio routine.
If I really can't find them then I can choose to cave in and look it up online, rather than have the game ruin the surprise for me automatically.

It's awful the way it is currently. The system ruins the playability of the game. I should just be able to pick a character from a menu. The heart to heart info isn't a secret either, the residents fill in the hexagons anyway. The way it is now is pure shit.

Malus

It's awful the way it is currently. The system ruins the playability of the game. I should just be able to pick a character from a menu. The heart to heart info isn't a secret either, the residents fill in the hexagons anyway. The way it is now is pure shit.

That's a bit dramatic lol. Just warp to where they are and pick them up, if they're not there go find their heart to hearts which are usually very entertaining.

I might agree with you if you absolutely needed certain characters in your party because party configuration is super important, but in my experience it largely didn't matter who was in my party at any given time. If I couldn't find somebody I just picked somebody else. And the heart to heart stuff is pretty secret. You don't know which residents are going to tell you about which heart to hearts and when, and you often just run into them without being told.

I see why you find it frustrating but even in the worst case I'd just look it up which I don't think is a problem. I like asking around the community for stuff. In Monster Hunter I pretty much was on the gamefaqs forum all the time for tips.

Just got my Skell license at level 33 and just below 50 hours of gameplay. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the missions were already completed upon accepting them. :)

(All that exploring and screwing around paid off after all.)

I feel like I'm stumbling drunk through this game. I'm level 47 at chapter 11 and while my Skells are wrecking machines, on foot I'm awful. I have no clue what arts to put on Elma and Lin. I don't know what to upgrade so they both have 300+ points. And I'm broke as shit, only getting 30k revenue. I hardly have any probes down because I have a ton of mining, but hardly any research.

I'm just not figuring this out...

And now I'm passed. Lost a Sell. No money to replace, so I reloaded as I just saved. But I'm an hour back and lost a ton.... wtf.

NOW EAT MY BURST STREAM OF DESTRUCTI---oh shit.

He doesn't have a gold crown for nothing. He probably has the most kills of any tyrant.

eaise

Neo Member
He doesn't have a gold crown for nothing. He probably has the most kills of any tyrant.

That brings up a question I've been trying to figure out. Is there a way to view how many kills each tyrant has?

I know the crowns show which has killed a lot of players but I'd like to see exactly how many kills each tyrant has

Malus

I feel like I'm stumbling drunk through this game. I'm level 47 at chapter 11 and while my Skells are wrecking machines, on foot I'm awful. I have no clue what arts to put on Elma and Lin. I don't know what to upgrade so they both have 300+ points. And I'm broke as shit, only getting 30k revenue. I hardly have any probes down because I have a ton of mining, but hardly any research.

I'm just not figuring this out...

And now I'm passed. Lost a Sell. No money to replace, so I reloaded as I just saved. But I'm an hour back and lost a ton.... wtf.

Booster probe + dublicator probe combo should help you make more cash, found this online: http://i.imgur.com/Bt3yyYJ.jpg

There was a better picture somewhere (with a slightly different layout too), can't find it now tho sorry.

You know, since the option to lower enemy levels by 5 if you die 3 times exists...

what happens if you die 3 times to any of the required battles from Origin Blatta to Volkampf?

That brings up a question I've been trying to figure out. Is there a way to view how many kills each tyrant has?

I know the crowns show which has killed a lot of players but I'd like to see exactly how many kills each tyrant has

Pause menu > intel > enemy index
Pick the tyrants and look at the word "defeated by" on the bottom left of the screen.

kwj7z3Z.jpg

That's a bit dramatic lol. Just warp to where they are and pick them up, if they're not there go find their heart to hearts which are usually very entertaining.

I might agree with you if you absolutely needed certain characters in your party because party configuration is super important, but in my experience it largely didn't matter who was in my party at any given time. If I couldn't find somebody I just picked somebody else. And the heart to heart stuff is pretty secret. You don't know which residents are going to tell you about which heart to hearts and when, and you often just run into them without being told.

I see why you find it frustrating but even in the worst case I'd just look it up which I don't think is a problem. I like asking around the community for stuff. In Monster Hunter I pretty much was on the gamefaqs forum all the time for tips.

The issue is that if you want to do the affinity quests for all the characters you need to grind up affinity and grinding up affinity stalls you from doing stuff I'd much rather be doing. So combining that with now having to run to each characters spot when I want to use them further meaning another stupid teleport away from my current position to the city is beyond dumb. The system they have in place now is bad. Minimally in Xenoblade 1 there were not stupid loops one had to jump through purely for the sake of "immersion"/ You should be able to pick your character from a menu full stop. And you should be able to change the time of day from the menu as well. These were 100% steps backwards.

eaise

Neo Member
Pause menu > intel > enemy index
Pick the tyrants and look at the word "defeated by" on the bottom left of the screen.

You seem to be the all knowing Xenoblade X player haha. Thanks for the information. Time to find out which has the most kills!

Just started playing this.

Early Game Thematic Spoilers.
Does the game ever do anything interesting with its kinda gross and weird colonialism themes?

Does the game ever do anything interesting with its kinda gross and weird colonialism themes?

Yes, I recommend doing side quests that are triggered by NPCs in the city/world that goes into a lot of the themes of the game

Neiteio

They're forced to live there out of necessity. How is that "colonialism" weird and gross?

There are NPCs who question the ethics of intruding on animal habitats, if that's what you mean.

And Elma implores you to not pick fights with animals unless the animals are attacking or endangering humans.

Tripon

I'm 120 hours in and have to do a mission to get 130,000 credits in one go. So I'm trying to find secnic viewpoints to build up my research posts. Such a cool and subtle way to force me to explore the hidden areas of the world.

Malus

The issue is that if you want to do the affinity quests for all the characters you need to grind up affinity and grinding up affinity stalls you from doing stuff I'd much rather be doing. So combining that with now having to run to each characters spot when I want to use them further meaning another stupid teleport away from my current position to the city is beyond dumb. The system they have in place now is bad. Minimally in Xenoblade 1 there were not stupid loops one had to jump through purely for the sake of "immersion"/ You should be able to pick your character from a menu full stop. And you should be able to change the time of day from the menu as well. These were 100% steps backwards.

Well I just disagree. It's not about immersion, it's about the sense of exploration and discovery that this game constantly pushes. It'd be great if you could select them from a menu, sure, but having them run off into town for heart to hearts is a great mechanic and a big step forward imo.

The time thing is silly. Doesn't really add anything. But I never found it more than a very minor inconvenience, especially in the face of all the big convenience additions made to this game over the original. The 'return to skell' feature alone is a major help.

Grinding up affinity is mostly just a matter of doing sideqests.

I just completed chapter 10. Holy hell that was a memorable fight.

As a quick aside, I wanted to customize my skells but had no clue what I wanted to do, so I ended up naming and coloring them all after the Avengers. I'm piloting Thor, Elma is in C. America, Lin is in a heavy Hulk skell, and whoever is my fourth gets Iron Man (Celica currently, for a long while it was Doug). I spent time getting all of their colors correctly and all that jazz. Even got Hulk to have purple bottoms.

Very minor spoilers follow, and the real spoilers I have tagged. But otherwise it's just general descriptions that doesn't go into specifics.

So in comes
Zu Pharg, this giant ass robot that dwarfs mountains
and I've found myself in a bizarre take on the Avengers. It's slowly advancing throughout the whole fight which means I have to keep flying around to meet it. I start the fight taking out one of its two flunkies it spawns (Elma/Captain America got the other) and then we get into it and I start directing the team to take out its limbs. Meanwhile it's firing about 100 lasers a second at me as I'm flying around shooting lightning at it and trying to get decent hits in. I see Iron Man/Celica zooming around running interference on the other flunkies its spawning and taking most of their fire, while Hulk/Lin is lower down on the thing and just beating on it and Cap/Elma is dancing around and eating missiles while also doing what damage she can. After carving out bits of him I fly around and start targeting its spine. Lasers and shit are flying absolutely everywhere as I'm alternating between shielding, using the G-Buster and shooting the behemoth up with lightning. I break its spine and I can hear
Ryyz
screaming as we take the last of its HP. The whole thing probably took 5-10 minutes.

The way everything worked together, along with the names and colors I'd given the skells, and the utter enormity of the
Zu Pharg
combined into a crazy amazing experience. Everyone's lights on their skells match up too, so I'd see Iron Man's yellow shoot by me occasionally or see Hulk's green glow if I looked down. For a good chunk of time we were out of each other's sights as we were covering different areas, but that act of teamwork to take it down was unparalleled. The theming was just the icing on the cake that made it a surreal experience.

Fuck, what an awesome game.

Watching a live test run of Xenoblade X speedrun routing, just watched (ch. 9 & 10 spoilers)
the Skell part of the Wrothian fight and Zu Pharg get taken down by the player controlling Elma on ground. Elma can infinite overdrive as early as you first get it.

Bombless

I just completed chapter 10. Holy hell that was a memorable fight.

As a quick aside, I wanted to customize my skells but had no clue what I wanted to do, so I ended up naming and coloring them all after the Avengers. I'm piloting Thor, Elma is in C. America, Lin is in a heavy Hulk skell, and whoever is my fourth gets Iron Man (Celica currently, for a long while it was Doug). I spent time getting all of their colors correctly and all that jazz. Even got Hulk to have purple bottoms.

Very minor spoilers follow, and the real spoilers I have tagged. But otherwise it's just general descriptions that doesn't go into specifics.

So in comes
Zu Pharg, this giant ass robot that dwarfs mountains
and I've found myself in a bizarre take on the Avengers. It's slowly advancing throughout the whole fight which means I have to keep flying around to meet it. I start the fight taking out one of its two flunkies it spawns (Elma/Captain America got the other) and then we get into it and I start directing the team to take out its limbs. Meanwhile it's firing about 100 lasers a second at me as I'm flying around shooting lightning at it and trying to get decent hits in. I see Iron Man/Celica zooming around running interference on the other flunkies its spawning and taking most of their fire, while Hulk/Lin is lower down on the thing and just beating on it and Cap/Elma is dancing around and eating missiles while also doing what damage she can. After carving out bits of him I fly around and start targeting its spine. Lasers and shit are flying absolutely everywhere as I'm alternating between shielding, using the G-Buster and shooting the behemoth up with lightning. I break its spine and I can hear
Ryyz
screaming as we take the last of its HP. The whole thing probably took 5-10 minutes.

The way everything worked together, along with the names and colors I'd given the skells, and the utter enormity of the
Zu Pharg
combined into a crazy amazing experience. Everyone's lights on their skells match up too, so I'd see Iron Man's yellow shoot by me occasionally or see Hulk's green glow if I looked down. For a good chunk of time we were out of each other's sights as we were covering different areas, but that act of teamwork to take it down was unparalleled. The theming was just the icing on the cake that made it a surreal experience.

Fuck, what an awesome game.

I have mine painted as various Gundams from SEED. My fight was less epic though as I was way overleveled and we trampled it with big ass shots rather quickly hehe. Awesome story though!

-Horizon-

Started the final walk that is chapter 12.

And now I'm getting distracted because I want to see how some NPCs dialogue changes because of it.

Dang it.

And now I'm getting distracted because I want to see how some NPCs dialogue changes because of it.

Dang it.

Yeah, due to this dialogue change reason, I completely replayed the game after completing Chapter 5. Currently I am at Chapter 8 and have just finished the quest chain for (xeno race)
Orphean
and tons of new dialogue appear in NLA! I really appreciate Monolith for doing so much work on building NLA throughout the whole game.

Dang it.

That is something that I always love in games. When NPC's dialog changes as the story goes by. It is also something that adds a ton of time to any game that as it because of my need to go around and talk to everyone after every event.

Malus

Yeah, due to this dialogue change reason, I completely replayed the game after completing Chapter 5. Currently I am at Chapter 8 and have just finished the quest chain for (xeno race)
Orphean
and tons of new dialogue appear in NLA! I really appreciate Monolith for doing so much work on building NLA throughout the whole game.

That is something that I always love in games. When NPC's dialog changes as the story goes by. It is also something that adds a ton of time to any game that as it because of my need to go around and talk to everyone after every event.

Yeah there are tons and tons of little details in the dialogue that unravel as you do various quests and story missions, and sometimes seemingly just over time. Little mini stories developing between random unnamed NPCs. I really liked
The woman at the water purification plant in NLA who speaks of a suspicious person hanging around at night. At night it's a Zaruboggan who says "Yes, I have been devoltanizing the water, no, I'm not a suspicious person." Then eventually they get the whole confusion cleared up. Then there's the Man-on proposing in the park, who eventually comes up with the idea of a wedding pizza after she must've said yes. Also the Mediator trying to deal with the arguing couple behind Repenta Diner.

Although there are some pretty egregious errors where certain NPCs and even main characters in heart to hearts don't reocgnize when major events have occured.

I have mine painted as various Gundams from SEED. My fight was less epic though as I was way overleveled and we trampled it with big ass shots rather quickly hehe. Awesome story though!

I'm certain I'm overleveled (49, sooooooo close to those level 50 skells) but for whatever reason I wasn't curbstomping that fight at all. I'm pretty sure the weapon types I was using were weak against it, but I didn't want to put the time into it and change everything. And being so close to 50, I just want to wait till then until buying new gear.

Yeah there are tons and tons of little details in the dialogue that unravel as you do various quests and story missions, and sometimes seemingly just over time. Little mini stories developing between random unnamed NPCs. I really liked
The woman at the water purification plant in NLA who speaks of a suspicious person hanging around at night. At night it's a Zaruboggan who says "Yes, I have been devoltanizing the water, no, I'm not a suspicious person." Then eventually they get the whole confusion cleared. up. Then there's the Man-on proposing in the park, who eventually comes up with the idea of a wedding pizza after she must've said yes. Also the Mediator trying to deal with the arguing couple behind Repenta Diner.

My favorite is the couple at the water purification plant. The guy proposes to his girlfriend there, and she's pissed cause it's the least romantic spot possible. She's starting to get over it now - I'll have to see how it ends.

Malus

I'm certain I'm overleveled (49, sooooooo close to those level 50 skells) but for whatever reason I wasn't curbstomping that fight at all. I'm pretty sure the weapon types I was using were weak against it, but I didn't want to put the time into it and change everything. And being so close to 50, I just want to wait till then until buying new gear.

My favorite is the couple at the water purification plant. The guy proposes to his girlfriend there, and she's pissed cause it's the least romantic spot possible. She's starting to get over it now - I'll have to see how it ends.

Yeah I forgot about that one. I love it because the dialogue there stays the same for so long, at least for me, that it was such a cool surprise when it finally did change. Game is just full of neat little surprises like that.

How she finally relented and went over and how she was gonna bring her spaghetti or something over next time. So much good feels to see it work out.
I also liked how the Nopon and wrothian who were over at the party got along in a super fur hug.
Just so cute x3

I totally missed this :eek:

-Horizon-

I really liked the whole deal with Wendy and how she
slowly warms up to her neighbor having all the xenos over at night when she outright hated them before.
How she finally relented and went over and how she was gonna bring her spaghetti or something over next time. So much good feels to see it work out.
I also liked how the Nopon and wrothian who were over at the party got along in a super fur hug.
Just so cute x3

Bombless

Oh haha, in true Gundam tradition I had them all fitted for maximum beam spam! The beam sniper is downright brutal.

rhandino

Banned
There is mission in Sylvalum where you find a camp full of Harriers that starts all bright and normal and ends up being so twisted towards the end of the mission, specially the part where
2 members of that team are captured and then you found one of them in a cave and she starts to describe the things they did to her partner. oh GOD.

Its not like I wanted to sleep or anything T-T

I really liked the whole deal with Wendy and how she
slowly warms up to her neighbor having all the xenos over at night when she outright hated them before.
Just so cute x3
!!!

I loved this sub-plot a lot and I Always went to that house every time I bringed another race to NLA.

Beam weapons get a bonus against other mechs

I'll give that a try! Thank you!

There is mission in Sylvalum where you find a camp full of Harriers that starts all bright and normal and ends up being so twisted towards the end of the mission, specially the part where
2 members of that team are captured and then you found one of them in a cave and she starts to describe the things they did to her partner. oh GOD.

I did that mission. That was extremely disturbing and I felt like I'd messed up somewhere and got a bad ending or something. Same thing with the Biahno plant mission with the eggs. Those two really made me upset and I wanted to retry them, but I don't remember doing anything along the way that could have made a better outcome. :(

rhandino

Banned
I did that mission. That was extremely disturbing and I felt like I'd messed up somewhere and got a bad ending or something. Same thing with the Biahno plant mission with the eggs. Those two really made me upset and I wanted to retry them, but I don't remember doing anything along the way that could have made a better outcome. :(
So much this.

The Sylvalum one has a decision early on were you can be nice or strict to the rookie of the group and now I'm here wondering if choosing to be more strict would have helped.

Probably not T-T

Top Bottom