• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Yarbskoo

Are there any maps online that show where specific missions can be initiated? The Prima guide is useless for even basic stuff like this.

-Horizon-

Chapter 12 and the game's main story DONE - clocked in at 164 hours

Oh man that last chapter

Would've been cool if the scene with your mechs rushing across the ocean were the ones the characters were actually using. Oh well.

First encounter with the
fodder mechs outside of the lifehold - easy
Second encounter with
sony's vita - pretty easy, not that difficult
Third encounter with
Lao and the queen chimera and lesser chimera - ugh
yo, I had to retry it like 3-4 times. First try I got
Lao
to maybe a quarter of health left but then everything just went to the crapper. Second and third tries it went to the crapper like immediately. Then I got the screen where it asks if you want to lower the boss's difficulty and I was like screw that brah, I'm taking these fools down (I'm assuming if you hit cancel it doesn't lower the difficulty? you actually have to confirm it? if it lowers regardless that'd be pretty dumb). 4th attempt
focused on Lao, then focus on queen, then just wipe the floor with lesser and then refocus on Lao
. Went so much better and I finally won.

I honestly have to give overall in the game, props to Lin and her voice actress. I think she did a great job.

And oh man, Elma
's true form o///o should've told me sooner!

Those revelations they just dump on you at the end, just whoa bro. WHOA.
so the samaarians are basically the super race from another dimension or something and they created the ganglion. And over who knows how long the samaarians became what is known today as humans. And it is those same humans whose DNA can destroy the ganglion if they were to turn against them. Which is why the ganglion were afraid of them and wanted to get rid of them. And what the heck at the after credits scene. So the lifehold mainframe was actually destroyed but everyone's mims are still able to function and retain memories and personality as if the mainframe was still working. WHAT. And with what Elma said at the end with it being because of the planet/ That I actually had my suspicions that the planet is not what it seems. There were so many side comments by the man non and Professor B about why Mira is so strange. They seriously can't let the game end there. I now understand why people want a direct sequel to this so that they can go further into all of this.

I mean I even have a few questions of my own
what is Mira? it is doing something to warp the space around it and to bring all these alien races together and it has to be keeping everyone still alive somehow. Though I guess everyone that was killed in their mim isn't coming back :/
Who is this Great One that luxaar talked about? Was it a samaarian that turned on its own race? I don't know why I said that but idk, that makes sense in my head.
What about that other alien race that got into a battle with the ganglion when they battled and destroyed earth? Who the heck are they? Another faction in all of this?

Overall impression: it was a great game lol.

I want to post some screenshots but I guess they'd be spoilers, I'll just link one I really like :x
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69izVOZ4tsi9k-R

also WR for this game is dropping super fast, though this is in-game time instead of RTA still (spoilers in the linked image) 9:01:13 is pretty fast

Got to see the second half of that live (if that's the same run I saw). Even that run can be greatly improved because the player died a lot of times at a point where he could've done it in one try.

Jims

Am curious, what are you guys' favorite xenoform races in Xenoblade X? Been playing a lot of side missions lately, and have marveled at how interesting and cool each of them end up being.

I'm a really big fan of the Nopon since the original game... Their combination of cute third-person vernacular and phrasing, combined with their arrogance, pettiness, and bluntness is a great combination. Riki or Tatsu just calling characters out on their character flaws so openly is hilarious every time. I like how they have such a different culture with commerce and deal-making, with how crazy thrifty they are and that they openly admit their verbal word means very little. They do horrible things to each other and totally get away with it because they're so upbeat and cute. There's a brutal honesty to them that is awesome.

(Although the Tatsu food jokes makes me want to deduct points from them.)

The Ma-non come really close for me, though. I feel like we've seen this sort of advanced-technologically-but-kind-of-naive alien before. The Ma-non can act like children sometimes around humans, usually being used to contrast to how cynical and cruel humans can be. The way they look at characters so pitifully make me want to get them a cookie sometimes.

Don't know how spoiler-y this is, but the Prone have grone on me a lot too lately. They really did the "proud warrior race" archetype right in this game. Their machismo and one-mindedness is pretty funny. And every sidequest involving Prone romance has been gold. Slovity Pagus is a great character too.

I find the Zaruboggan kind of lame, however. It's all voltant talk, all the time with them.

Malus

Am curious, what are you guys' favorite xenoform races in Xenoblade X? Been playing a lot of side missions lately, and have marveled at how interesting and cool each of them end up being.

I'm a really big fan of the Nopon since the original game... Their combination of cute third-person vernacular and phrasing, combined with their arrogance, pettiness, and bluntness is a great combination. Riki or Tatsu just calling characters out on their character flaws so openly is hilarious every time. I like how they have such a different culture with commerce and deal-making, with how crazy thrifty they are and that they openly admit their verbal word means very little. They do horrible things to each other and totally get away with it because they're so upbeat and cute. There's a brutal honesty to them that is awesome.

The Ma-non come really close for me, though. I feel like we've seen this sort of advanced-technologically-but-kind-of-naive alien before. The Ma-non can act like children sometimes around humans, usually being used to contrast to how cynical and cruel humans can be. The way they look at characters so pitifully make me want to get them a cookie sometimes.

Don't know how spoiler-y this is, but the Prone have grone on me a lot too lately. They really did the "proud warrior race" archetype right in this game. Their machismo and one-mindedness is pretty funny. And every sidequest involving Prone romance has been gold. Slovity Pagus is a great character too.

I find the Zaruboggan kind of lame, however. It's all voltant talk, all the time with them.

I like the Nopon best overall. Band of greedy,scheming traveling merchants, but there's something admirable about the little furballs risking life and limb out in the wilderness doing business and fulfilling contracts. And there are multiple of examples of genuinely good or at least decent Nopon people so they don't seem one dimensional.

My favorite individual xeno character though would be Slovity.

It's too bad that these clips, while cool, aren't actually useful for much.

THEY INSPIRE THE YOUNG IMPRESSIONABLE KIDS OUT THERE TO BELIEVE THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

Capra

Obviously the Wrothians are the best xenos. Proud ninja space lions...
who in the end become space pirates.
What's not to like?

random25

Overall I like the Nopons the most too. Removing the fluffy furball image, they are the closest thing to humans as far as domestic issues are concerned lol.

Golnei

Before the
betaforms and sibling incest
subplot; the Orphe were one of my favourite species.

Also, now that I'm using Yelv and Elma together more; their post-battle dialogue is a lot less inconsequential coming after his final affinity mission.

My favorite individual xeno character though would be Slovity.

I still think Koko was one of the better NPCs, but Slovity is probably the only one that could have been feasibly playable that I would have liked to see become a party member - especially since she's implied to become a BLADE. If they keep the same setting with the next game, I hope they give us a few more playable aliens - though that might conflict with their stated intent to go with a more focused story; which would probably necessitate a smaller playable cast.

Jims

Overall I like the Nopons the most too. Removing the fluffy furball image, they are the closest thing to humans as far as domestic issues are concerned lol.

This too. There is something about the Nopon that makes normal domestic issues more charming. The way they setup Riki in the first game was perfect. I want to use a party member who has basic food and rent issues.

The "My Angel, My Lana" sidequest in Cauldros is a classic.

Although I didn't have the heart to let poor Walolo raise a stuffed animal. I imagine she and Bubu will probably fight and argue for the rest of their lives.

-Horizon-

Obviously the Wrothians are the best xenos. Proud ninja space lions...
who in the end become space pirates.
What's not to like?

I like this gif that someone here used to describe them:

tumblr_ngpl6284M41svuewto1_500.gif

Its so true

Malus

Why are Mediators so high right now?

I think a hacker that was making prospectors rank so high moved to Mediators.

I like this gif that someone here used to describe them:

tumblr_ngpl6284M41svuewto1_500.gif

Its so true

The quest
Leaving the Nest, which had a Wrothian's parents try to kill him to prevent him from leaving the clan and shaming their family really drives that home. The mom even said she was going to suicide after if I remember correctly.

I got a pic of that dude posing in front of a car next to bikini clad women. I move to have it hidden in the banner of the next game's OT somewhere.

EulaCapra

I had a weird glitch.

I'm out of battles and can freely fast travel......but my party keeps getting hit by something. Everyone's getting HP knocked off indicated by orange numbers. My whole party is at HP 1. Chapter 5 in Oblivia after fighting a mech tyrant. I let my avatar drop down to zero and that seemed to put me back into the nearest landmark and I'm glitch free now hopefully.

BUT WTF JUST HAPPENED

Malus

I had a weird glitch.

I'm out of battles and can freely fast travel......but my party keeps getting hit by something. Everyone's getting HP knocked off indicated by orange numbers. My whole party is at HP 1. Chapter 5 in Oblivia after fighting a mech tyrant. I let my avatar drop down to zero and that seemed to put me back into the nearest landmark and I'm glitch free now hopefully.

BUT WTF JUST HAPPENED

Sounds like deadly weather.

Renewed

I haven't done this yet and now that I think I'm done playing the game, I should do this now before I forget.

My thoughts on the game:

Story

It was interesting. The way I kind of saw it was a day in the life. Things would happen as we kept moving toward our final goal and it continuously changed the world. Basically each chapter wasn't just the story mission but everything that happened and unlocked between story missions. After the ending I'd like to see where they could go with this next (at least for the sake of not leaving things as is), as it has my interest for now. Looking back at unused ideas, I wonder how much of it could have actually made it or was deemed unnecessary or couldn't make it in due to time constraints, etc.

World

Pretty large, and with the arrangement of enemies it challenges you to think of what fights you can pick if you're going to be near some dangerous indigens. The idea of looking to FrontierNav to see what segments are beyond you is pretty nice. Of course there can be irregularities like a path that may lead you into dangerous territory. I'd say my favourite territory would be split between Noctilum and Sylvalum (only because of the setting of spores and anything can jump out at you, damn Aevitars), with Cauldros just behind because the on-foot exploration was really interesting between the mining frigates and finding the teleporters up there (like with Trueno, what a jerk) or making my way up Mount M'gando.

As the story progressed, things changed. Especially in NLA which made keeping track of NPCs something I invested a lot of time into. Not only seeing the different dialogue with story progression but how the affinity chart changed with new characters arriving and their interactions with each other changing according to my actions. I really love this kind of stuff and whenever they were doing well, I was actually happy for them.

Affinity Missions helped continually change my perspective on characters multiple times (of course, they can be tropey but I do like seeing them come along). With up to 18 characters, it really makes me feel like I'm not just with a group of allies on a grand adventure but working together with my city to make a life here (despite whatever may happen along the way).

Gameplay

Gonna put exploration, combat and such here. On-foot exploration was great. There were things that tested my patience like sneaking past enemies or examining available paths with the Nav Camera. And after getting familiar with the world in that sense, the Skell changed everything and not only made travel through what you knew easier, but gave you access to things you wouldn't have reached or noticed otherwise. Especially with the flight module which made things much easier. Of course you wouldn't want to spoil the travels you could have had by using it so it can help to take your time. But then you also yearn to get it for both the novelty of flying a transformable mech and the assistance it provides.

Combat was interesting. I don't think I need to get into the basics but if so just ask. Healing through Soul Voice and such makes the assault go much faster since you can forgo healing skills. Good to see they realized how silly Evasion was but now we have to deal with Potential (which increases the damage of Tension Point-using Arts and efficacy of healing Arts/Soul Voice). The conventions of tank/DPS/debuff, etc. can change since you can pick and customize whatever classes you want as you level them up and master them. Since Arts are tied to weapons you'll be coming up with combinations that get the most out of offense and defence (through evasion, reflect or attribute resistances among other things). It gives you the freedom to be what you want with the tools given to you. When you bring this online, you'll either be coordinating with the players in advance to decide your roles or you may all go in on offense and have someone go in a Skell to bind the enemy. You may also decide to be a one hit kill monster, it's all up to you. Just enjoy the farming lol

Pretty much, as rewarding as you want to make it.

Music

Of course down to preference. I enjoyed a lot of it (hell I preordered/imported the soundtrack back when it was announced). The arrangements of field themes, battle themes and event themes were nice and each got to me in different ways. In battle, I was pumped up with all of the different possible themes. Hard to rank field themes but Sylvalum, Cauldros and Oblivia are all up there (tends to change tbh).

One thing I didn't like was the mixing. Dialogue hard to hear over the blaring vocals of some tracks (somewhat similar in the Japanese version, but not as bad). Needless to say subtitles were always on.

Visuals (literally wrote this at the end because I forgot about it)

Looks good. Technically, boggles my mind (no loading screens when out exploring on-foot, fast travel can be quick to load). Pop-in was a regret (especially when they appear no more than two inches in front of you if you don't let things load and just run). Lots of eye candy as you may have seen in screenshot posts from users like chadbodan. Changing weather adds a lot, especially with unique weather like brimstone rain and then seeing a rainbow in Cauldros. Character models look okay although I guess Tanaka's art in 3D isn't the hottest (especially when looking at the initial art for characters like Irina, Celica, Lin or Lao).

Final Thoughts

It's a great game that not only appeals to what I like but is enjoyable/rewarding to play. I'd love to play it again when I'm not busy. If you ever feel stuck, there are various resources out there to help like the spreadsheet in the OT which lists collectepedia item locations, enemy locations, drops, and etc. There are also resources that'll be useful if you need them in the late/postgame like

-Horizon-

I think a hacker that was making prospectors rank so high moved to Mediators.

The quest
Leaving the Nest, which had a Wrothian's parents try to kill him to prevent him from leaving the clan and shaming their family really drives that home. The mom even said she was going to suicide after if I remember correctly.

I got a pic of that dude posing in front of a car next to bikini clad women. I move to have it hidden in the banner of the next game's OT somewhere.
JEEZ that's messed up but sound about what I would expect from that bunch :<

I had a weird glitch.

BUT WTF JUST HAPPENED
Oblivia? Electromagnetic storm perhaps?

Capra

The quest

D:
I changed my mind.

Hm... I choose whatever the fuck L is. Because of course :p

How do I fill in the normal mission segments on the Cauldros map? I've just finished chapter 11 and I'm trying to recruit Mia and the only missions I'm getting are basic gathering missions which I guess aren't segment specific.

Malus

This too. There is something about the Nopon that makes normal domestic issues more charming. The way they setup Riki in the first game was perfect. I want to use a party member who has basic food and rent issues.

Although I didn't have the heart to let poor Walolo raise a stuffed animal. I imagine she and Bubu will probably fight and argue for the rest of their lives.

Seeing Bubu
just laying flat on his face in despair is hilarious.

Ok I gotta find this quest tomorrow to see what's up lol

Good luck finding it without looking it up lol.

I wonder if it'd be less funny if I had chosen different dialogue options.

How do I fill in the normal mission segments on the Cauldros map? I've just finished chapter 11 and I'm trying to recruit Mia and the only missions I'm getting are basic gathering missions which I guess aren't segment specific.

It'd help if you told us which normal mission markers you have left, as in where are they on your map. I know a couple involve quests that start in other continents.

Seeing Bubu
just laying flat on his face in despair is hilarious.

Good luck finding it without looking it up lol.

I wonder if it'd be less funny if I had chosen different dialogue options.

It'd help if you told us which normal mission markers you have left, as in where are they on your map. I know a couple involve quests that start in other continents.

The only normal missions I have left are The root of all evil, turf war, sparking a smile, my angel my lama and trade agreement. I've even finished definian downfall. I'm at 51% survey rate. I would go Tyrant hunting but most of them seem too strong (I have two level 50 skells and two level 30).

I had a weird glitch.

BUT WTF JUST HAPPENED

Some weather effects do damage to you.

Malus

The only normal missions I have left are The root of all evil, turf war, sparking a smile, my angel my lama and trade agreement. I've even finished definian downfall. I'm at 51% survey rate. I would go Tyrant hunting but most of them seem too strong (I have two level 50 skells and two level 30).

Sparking a Smile and My angel my Lana should both start at the NLA Nopon Caravan, no idea what the requirements are though as far as completion. They should probably be in an online guide somewhere. Don't remember where the others start.

I think that two level 50 skells would be enough to get to those quests. They're not exactly endgame/postgame stuff.

Sparking a Smile and My angel my Lana should both start at the NLA Nopon Caravan, no idea what the requirements are though as far as completion. They should probably be in an online guide somewhere. Don't remember where the others start.

I think that two level 50 skells would be enough to get to those quests. They're not exactly endgame/postgame stuff.

Do they contribute to the Cauldros survey rate?

random25

I actually liked the appearance of the stuffed toy baby that my first choice was to go and support Lana's bluffs lol. I did reset and go with the other route out of conscience lmao.

I also think that Nopons would be a great real-world merchants if they exist. Greedy critters who could get away with it by using their cutesy charms, paying peanuts for the best of services you can offer, and are always in pursuit of cash, legal or illegal lol.

Speaking of my favorite individual xeno, I'd go with Professor B. He looks rad.

Though a bit too late, maybe I'll write my final thoughts on this game as well if my laziness won't catch up with me.

Renewed

Root of All Evil - Should be right outside BLADE Barracks, maybe try day or night because this mission could have been started earlier and he'd be there.

Turf War - Check the West Gate entrance in the Industrial District.

Sparking a Smile - Check up north in the Commercial District for the Nopon market set up and try talking to Ngogo.

My Angel, My Lama - Check east of the centre of the Commercial District for the other Nopon market that's set up and talk to the Nopon there.

Trade Agreement - Going east past the Nopon market mentioned just now, look towards the fountain near the buildings for a Nopon called Warawa (I think)

I believe I finished all of these quests before finishing the game or just after finishing the game (like finding everyone for the Trade Agreement mission). "My Angel, My Lama" and "Sparking a Smile" gain Cauldros survey completion.

It's spreading.

Bah, she gets none of my sympathy.

Root of All Evil - Should be right outside BLADE Barracks, maybe try day or night because this mission could have been started earlier and he'd be there.

Turf War - Check the West Gate entrance in the Industrial District.

Sparking a Smile - Check up north in the Commercial District for the Nopon market set up and try talking to Ngogo.

My Angel, My Lama - Check east of the centre of the Commercial District for the other Nopon market that's set up and talk to the Nopon there.

Trade Agreement - Going east past the Nopon market mentioned just now, look towards the fountain near the buildings for a Nopon called Warawa (I think)

I believe I finished all of these quests before finishing the game or just after finishing the game (like finding everyone for the Trade Agreement mission). "My Angel, My Lama" and "Sparking a Smile" gain Cauldros survey completion.

Bah, she gets none of my sympathy.

My apologies. I don't have any difficulty locating those quests. A lot of those I've already started. I just want to know if any of those contribute to the survey rate completion towards Cauldro. I've already done most of the probe installations and treasure finds and most of the segments left are normal missions but I don't know how to complete them.

Renewed

My apologies. I don't have any difficulty locating those quests. A lot of those I've already started. I just want to know if any of those contribute to the survey rate completion towards Cauldro. I've already done most of the probe installations and treasure finds and most of the segments left are normal missions but I don't know how to complete them.

"My Angel, My Lama" and "Sparking a Smile" gain Cauldros survey completion.

Also, if it's just normal missions try mentioning what hex segment it's at (ie. SE of FN5xx, N of FN5xx, etc.) and I could tell you exactly what mission it is and where to start it if I remember correctly. Of course, you can also check out around NLA, base camps, Nopon caravans, etc. for yellow conversation bubbles that could help identify what is where. You'll find that Cauldros base camps will tell you about Cauldros segments so that can help.

Also, if it's just normal missions try mentioning what hex segment it's at (ie. SE of FN5xx, N of FN5xx, etc.) and I could tell you exactly what mission it is and where to start it if I remember correctly. Of course, you can also check out around NLA, base camps, Nopon caravans, etc. for yellow conversation bubbles that could help identify what is where. You'll find that Cauldros base camps will tell you about Cauldros segments so that can help.

Thanks mate! The requirements to get Mia are obscene. As if Definian downfall wasn't hard enough already.

Why not using the ultra diamond spatha longsword from meredith.co if you want to make an ether based blossom dancer? You can save your time to farm for potential up XX, appendage crusher and weapon power up XX instead of the ether katana.
Go for 800+ potential and stack 4-5 appendage crusher and you're going to be more powerful than the most blossom dancer out there tbh.
The highest damage output I've got with meredith ether longsword was 8 million in a single hit, and it took down Gradivus in 1 minute. That's not bad for a longsword with 288 attack.

that sounds good

will give it a grind :)

Top Bottom