• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Daknight

Lao is in my team.. could it be that I've finished it?

Do you remember starting it? You do by checking if their is an affinity symbol near the cafe. If you think you did it check in achivements for 'The Matchmaker mission completed'. Even then you should be able to start the story mission if you do meet all requirements.

I wish the Wii U was more successful and that more games used the Gamepad. I loved just having the map open and available at all times in XCX. I refer to maps often during adventure games. I just noticed how many times I have to pause in Tomb Raider and The Witcher 3 to look at the map, which really takes me out of the experience. Miss just looking down at my controller and getting the info I want.

Renewed

Hum, I managed to kill Nardacyon pilot before she could enter her skell somehow, I'm not sure it's supposed to be possible...

You can kill the pilot if you're fast but then you don't get to fight Nardacyon (I say that like it's a privilege to fight that lol)

R.D.Blax

Speaking of Nardacyon, what's her deal ? She keept insta-killing me at some point everytime. Did she have a reflect or a spike damage which come at one point ?

Hum, I managed to kill Nardacyon pilot before she could enter her skell somehow, I'm not sure it's supposed to be possible...

You can kill the pilot if you're fast but then you don't get to fight Nardacyon (I say that like it's a privilege to fight that lol)

Speaking of Nardacyon, what's her deal ? She keept insta-killing me at some point everytime. Did she have a reflect or a spike damage which come at one point ?
Are we talking about the same boss
I need to kill her I always get her to zero

She cheats never dies

I just got the game a few days ago, loving it so far. I didn't know there were downloads to improve performance. I'm on the disc version, would it have done those automatically or do you have to manually go to the eShop and get them? The game downloaded an update when I started. And do the downloads help with pop-in? That's the single thing I don't like about the game so far, the pop-in is really terrible.

The reason I came to the thread was to find out about weapon stats. The weapon stats are kind of confusing, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. My rifle has an attack of about 4 while my melee weapon has an attack of 20-something. But the rifle seems to do a lot more damage (I really wish there was a way to add up all of the ranged hits to directly compare damage more easily).

I'm thinking this is because of two reasons

1) The rifle hits like 20 times, so even though the attack value is lower it's hitting for less damage more times.

2) My rifle had Ranged Attack II which I've know upgraded to IV. This is the part that kind of throws me. I've found rifles that have a power of around 8 or so, but equipping them drops my Ranged Attack stat a lot because of the Ranged Attack IV augment. Is that all there is to it? Is there any behind the scenes math going on, like maybe the rifle with a high attack ignores more armor or something and could potentially do more damage than my augmented 4-attack rifle? Does the Ranged Attack factor in number of shots? Could it potentially be worth my while to equip a rifle that lowers my ranged attacks but has a bigger magazine?

The game is sort of overwhelming, there's so many stats and none are explained, and there's so much stuff you can do. Upgrade arts, upgrade skills, customize the soul voices (which I found by clicking around in menus, the game itself hasn't even mentioned them), and the number of weapons and weapon augments you can craft is just insane.

Luckily so far it seems like none of it really makes a huge difference though, so I've still been able to have fun roaming around without worrying about utilizing everything I find to it's fullest extent.

2) My rifle had Ranged Attack II which I've know upgraded to IV. This is the part that kind of throws me. I've found rifles that have a power of around 8 or so, but equipping them drops my Ranged Attack stat a lot because of the Ranged Attack IV augment. Is that all there is to it? Is there any behind the scenes math going on, like maybe the rifle with a high attack ignores more armor or something and could potentially do more damage than my augmented 4-attack rifle? Does the Ranged Attack factor in number of shots? Could it potentially be worth my while to equip a rifle that lowers my ranged attacks but has a bigger magazine?
I believe Ranged Attack IV adds a flat modifier, not a percentage so it'll have a bigger effect on weapons that have a bigger magazine.

Irminsul

Man, everything surrounding the Biahno Water-Purification Plant is pretty grim.

I just got the game a few days ago, loving it so far. I didn't know there were downloads to improve performance. I'm on the disc version, would it have done those automatically or do you have to manually go to the eShop and get them? The game downloaded an update when I started. And do the downloads help with pop-in? That's the single thing I don't like about the game so far, the pop-in is really terrible.
You have to download them on your own. And they basically shorten load times. Pop-in is still pretty noticeable, but better than without those data packs.

Renewed

I don't mess with her much but I know she has a lightning attack that'll smite you. I believe she has an attack or two that goes through reflect.

Are we talking about the same boss
I need to kill her I always get her to zero

She cheats never dies

When you see her call for Nardacyon, she's immune and can't be killed (even if it looks like her HP is gone). If you mean Nardacyon itself, I haven't killed it. Maybe I'll start playing again and give it a shot.

When you compare stats, you'll notice your base ranged/melee attack. Then there's weapon attack which is added to ranged/melee attack and adds up to the Total Ranged/Melee Attack. For more on damage there's this from the spreadsheet in the OT. I don't think it's finished in terms of everything there is to consider.

Yes, it can add up. What I'll say is don't just rely on that alone. After you're done firing your rifle and need to reload, just switch to the melee weapon and get a hit in. Builds TP faster too and you're not idling wasting time.

eaise

Neo Member

You need to get your beam resistance up. Somewhere in the 130-150 range. Then that attack will just tickle. The biggest problem with fighting Nardacyon is that even with 500 accuracy once you get him down to 10% health you can barely land an attack

I believe Ranged Attack IV adds a flat modifier, not a percentage so it'll have a bigger effect on weapons that have a bigger magazine.

Right now I have a rifle with 4 attack that gives me Ranged Attack +20. If I'm understanding this right I'd need a weapon with base 24 attack to equal my current damage output? Seems crazy because the highest base attack I've seen from something I can equip is only around 8. I guess I am forgoing other potential bonuses but none seem as useful as pure attack.

Then again I have no idea what potential is.

You have to download them on your own. And they basically shorten load times. Pop-in is still pretty noticeable, but better than without those data packs.

Oh, that's disappointing. The pop-in sucks but the load times haven't bothered me so far. Maybe because I just played through Just Cause.

Right now I have a rifle with 4 attack that gives me Ranged Attack +20. If I'm understanding this right I'd need a weapon with base 24 attack to equal my current damage output? Seems crazy because the highest base attack I've seen from something I can equip is only around 8. I guess I am forgoing other potential bonuses but none seem as useful as pure attack.
I think the +20 you're getting takes account magazine count, and the damage per bullet from Ranged Attack Up IV is much smaller than that. I could be wrong.

Then again I have no idea what potential is.
Potential increases the effects of TP arts (both damage, healing, and other effects that scale with it), and is a more important stat for dealing damage since TP arts tend to have much higher damage output in the long run.

I think the +20 you're getting takes account magazine count, and the damage per bullet from Ranged Attack Up IV is much smaller than that. I could be wrong.

Potential increases the effects of TP arts (both damage, healing, and other effects that scale with it), and is a more important stat for dealing damage since TP arts tend to have much higher damage output in the long run.

Ah, thanks for the potential explanation.

As for Attack Up, the bonus increases five points per level. So Ranged Attack Up gives +5, Ranged Attack Up II gives +10, and so on. It seems like this is uniform across different weapons, I'll have to check it out more later.

Not sure how deep down the rabbit hole I want to go though since like I said earlier the combat isn't giving me any trouble so far. Just wish I was more certain when deciding whether a piece of equipment is better than another. I wish they would have went easy with the augments until later in the game, it's a little ridiculous. I don't want to be making decisions about whether +2 Defense or +100 HP is a better bonus an hour into an RPG with a ton of other stuff going on as well.

Nerrel

I thought I had heard the worst of the soundtrack. Then I unlocked the skell flight module:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4r8ufspg0

"...Anyway, let's move on." The singer herself got tired of how vapid and shitty the lyrics were and spared us. Very kind of her.

I'm at the point where I've tuned the battle raps out and don't even notice it anymore, but this just grates my nerves the entire time I'm flying. Really can't see why Suwano was so highly sought for this kind of game; these are the kinds of pop tracks you get tired of within moments, and the player is liable to hear them for hours... possibly in one session. They'd be decent if the vocal tracks were muted... Someday an emulator mod may make it possible.

I actually like the purely instrumental music he composed a fair amount. But... Jesus. Is it just me? Is this thing on? Is there anyone there? Am I all alone? I need a bigger font.

Malus

I thought I had heard the worst of the soundtrack. Then I unlocked the skell flight module:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4r8ufspg0

"...Anyway, let's move on." The singer herself got tired of how vapid and shitty the lyrics were and spared us. Very kind of her.

I'm at the point where I've tuned the battle raps out and don't even notice it anymore, but this just grates my nerves the entire time I'm flying. Really can't see why Suwano was so highly sought for this kind of game; these are the kinds of pop tracks you get tired of within moments, and the player is liable to hear them for hours... possibly in one session. They'd be decent if the vocal tracks were muted... Someday an emulator mod may make it possible.

I actually like the purely instrumental music he composed a fair amount. But... Jesus. Is it just me? Is this thing on? Is there anyone there? Am I all alone? I need a bigger font.

Love the stuff :p

When Sawano was first announced for the project I was somewhat concerned we'd get nothing but the "epic" stuff like the Cauldros theme and CODENAMEZ (which I like too), but I'm really glad he let some of his weirdness get in like NLA, manon, and the alternate skell battle theme. Reminds me of his work on Kill la Kill which is my fav soundtrack of his.

You need to get your beam resistance up. Somewhere in the 130-150 range. Then that attack will just tickle. The biggest problem with fighting Nardacyon is that even with 500 accuracy once you get him down to 10% health you can barely land an attack

Is that for on foot or Skells?

beam resistance if that is all that keeps you alive I could wait it out

eaise

Neo Member
Is that for on foot or Skells?

beam resistance if that is all that keeps you alive I could wait it out

I was on foot. I'm not sure about skells. I was also using a reflect build (only that one beam attack can break through the reflect) but without that you'd probably need other resistance too since he attacks with thermal, electric, physical, and beam. But those other attacks will probably do significantly less damage than his "ohko" beam attack

klee123

These normal missions are great.

Some of them are dark, some are sad and some are quite amusingly funny.

There's one where
I have to help a Wrothian find some food recipies because he discovered that food is more than just sustenance, his speech to the woman was just priceless

It's just really interesting seeing the different viewpoints from different races and how they are adapting to human life being despite that this is all fiction.

Just really well done overall.

Neiteio

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01c8sfo.jpg

lol

Haunted

Beautiful shots of the wildlife up there, Neiteio.

Most of the creature design in this game is absolutely top notch.

Falcs

Banned
And now a few quick screenshots:

Wtf? Something definitely seems off there. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen their faces like that. If it happens again, I would restart the console maybe? Looks like some texture or lighting hasn't loaded properly.

Neiteio

^^^ I think the shadows on that guy's pics have to do with the angle and lighting -- I had something similar happen under a lamp at night:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01y5sct.jpg

Beautiful shots of the wildlife up there, Neiteio.

Most of the creature design in this game is absolutely top notch.
Thanks, Haunted. :)

Steejee

Haven't quite started up the Ares 90 path in earnest, still going through Affinities and Normal Missions.

Though maybe I should focus on the Ares to make the Affinity grind faster...

DECISIONS

-Horizon-

Ohhhh I like that mech coloring.

Hey guys..

How can I get higher level skells?

You unlock level 30 mechs when your characters are level 30

You unlock level 50 mechs at level 50

You unlock the rest after you finish the story and are the appropriate level or when you have the correct crafting material depending on what mech you want

Ohhhh I like that mech coloring.

You unlock level 30 mechs when your characters are level 30

You unlock level 50 mechs at level 50

You unlock the rest after you finish the story and are the appropriate level or when you have the correct crafting material depending on what mech you want

That's great thanks.

How much do they cost?

-Horizon-

That's great thanks.

How much do they cost?

You can buy quite a few level 30s by the time you unlock them because I doubt you'll have spent a lot of your money.

Level 50s will cost a good chunk. So by that time you will need to have some good setups for your research probes so that you can get a lot of money each time.

Also I can't remember exactly but you may need to max out one of the arms manufacturers to unlock level 50 mechs. I forgot which one it was though or if it was even required.

Edit: checking online, to get level 50 mechs you need to max out the Sakuraba arms manufacturer level in the terminal

You can buy quite a few level 30s by the time you unlock them because I doubt you'll have spent a lot of your money.

Level 50s will cost a good chunk. So by that time you will need to have some good setups for your research probes so that you can get a lot of money each time.

Also I can't remember exactly but you may need to max out one of the arms manufacturers to unlock level 50 mechs. I forgot which one it was though or if it was even required.

I've already bought 4 level 30 skells.. I'm really broke lol

I never level up merchants. No idea what benefit they give to be honest (I don't read a lot :p)

EDIT: re the probes. every how long do they give me the money?

-Horizon-

I've already bought 4 level 30 skells.. I'm really broke lol

I never level up merchants. No idea what benefit they give to be honest (I don't read a lot :p)

EDIT: re the probes. every how long do they give me the money?

checking online, to get level 50 mechs you need to max out the Sakuraba arms manufacturer level in the terminal

and try to lay down some more research probes in areas where you've unlocked something called 'sightseeing spots'. You get more money if you lay research probes there. If you haven't found some sightseeing spots, well, looks like you're gonna go look for some haha. And try to link a bunch of the same level and same type probes in a row so that they're effects multiply.

When you level up merchants, you unlock more stuff in the shop as well as have those weapons/armor have more augments already attached to them.

Like if you level up a manufacturer to max 5, a weapon will have like 3-4 augments already attached that makes the weapon better than if the manufacturer was only at level 1.

And I haven't timed it to see how long it takes for the tick where probes give you stuff but I guess its around 15-30 minutes? Its somewhere in that range. Actual play time of course, you can't speed it up

checking online, to get level 50 mechs you need to max out the Sakuraba arms manufacturer level in the terminal

and try to lay down some more research probes in areas where you've unlocked something called 'sightseeing spots'. You get more money if you lay research probes there. If you haven't found some sightseeing spots, well, looks like you're gonna go look for some haha. And try to link a bunch of the same level and same type probes in a row so that they're effects multiply.

When you level up merchants, you unlock more stuff in the shop as well as have those weapons/armor have more augments already attached to them.

Like if you level up a manufacturer to max 5, a weapon will have like 3-4 augments already attached that makes the weapon better than if the manufacturer was only at level 1.

And I haven't timed it to see how long it takes for the tick where probes give you stuff but I guess its around 15-30 minutes? Its somewhere in that range. Actual play time of course, you can't speed it up

Thanks. I just spent all my Miranium on other AMs just before reading your reply haha!!

I can leave the game on overnight to help ramp up the cash.. Where do I get Miranium form? the probes?

And is there a guide to tell me where the "sightseeing spots" are? How can I identify them?

I guess it's weird that I had all the manufacturers that I had unlocked caped and was sitting on like $4mil before I even unlocked Skells. Only reason why I even rushed through the next mission to unlock them was because I had nothing else to spend miranium on and didn't like the thought of just sitting on it capped...

Branson

I only have like $600,000. I'm stuck on chapter 12 here and was going to grind up to 50 or so to make it easier but level 50 Skells are like 4million? It's going to take me forever to finish this chapter. I can't do any side missions or anything because I'm in this main chapter 12 mission.

-Horizon-

Thanks. I just spent all my Miranium on other AMs just before reading your reply haha!!

I can leave the game on overnight to help ramp up the cash.. Where do I get Miranium form? the probes?

And is there a guide to tell me where the "sightseeing spots" are? How can I identify them?

I think there's something in the game where it'll stop you from going on standby and leaving the game on over night lol
There are some people who work around it by doing something to the controller where you'll rotate in a circle haha.
You get get miranium from any probe. You get MORE miranium by using mining probes. Like I said before, try to link same level and same type probes in row so that their effects multiply. Like put all level 4 mining probes in a row.

And this is what I used to find the sightseeing spots, its under the frontier nav tab
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g0YR4M8RAHiRhCbAvV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/htmlview?sle=true#
Some of them you can't reach unless you can fly. And what it can help you do is give you a name to the place so you can google them for exact locations from gamefaqs haha. Like for "headwater cliff" in FN104, just google it and there will be some post online about how to get there exactly. There are videos I found but they either didn't cover all the spots or it was in japanese which didn't really help.
And you'll know you found a sightseeing spot when it flashes on the tv screen once you get the location.

I think there's something in the game where it'll stop you from going on standby and leaving the game on over night lol
There are some people who work around it by doing something to the controller where you'll rotate in a circle haha.
You get get miranium from any probe. You get MORE miranium by using mining probes. Like I said before, try to link same level and same type probes in row so that their effects multiply. Like put all level 4 mining probes in a row.

And this is what I used to find the sightseeing spots, its under the frontier nav tab
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g0YR4M8RAHiRhCbAvV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/htmlview?sle=true#
Some of them you can't reach unless you can fly. And what it can help you do is give you a name to the place so you can google them for exact locations from gamefaqs haha. Like for "headwater cliff" in FN104, just google it and there will be some post online about how to get there exactly. There are videos I found but they either didn't cover all the spots or it was in japanese which didn't really help.
And you'll know you found a sightseeing spot when it flashes on the tv screen once you get the location.

very informative. thanks a lot.

I'm so broke I cannot afford even removing a probe LOL .. I'll try to do the controller trick.. I'm desperate for money

-Horizon-

I guess it's weird that I had all the manufacturers that I had unlocked caped and was sitting on like $4mil before I even unlocked Skells. Only reason why I even rushed through the next mission to unlock them was because I had nothing else to spend miranium on and didn't like the thought of just sitting on it capped...
At this point in the game, I'm only spending miranium to unlock augment slots. And man they cost a lot lol. I need to work on finding a better probe configuration on the maps.

I only have like $600,000. I'm stuck on chapter 12 here and was going to grind up to 50 or so to make it easier but level 50 Skells are like 4million? It's going to take me forever to finish this chapter. I can't do any side missions or anything because I'm in this main chapter 12 mission.
Wait, did you already go past the point of no return when Elma asks you like twice if you're ready?
If not, I think you can still do regular missions before that which can sometimes net you a good amount of money.
And have you unlocked all the scenic views yet? Or rearranged your probe placement to get more money?

very informative. thanks a lot.

I'm so broke I cannot afford even removing a probe LOL .. I'll try to do the controller trick.. I'm desperate for money
Do some regular missions at mission control! You sometimes get some good money just for collecting/hunting random stuff.

Branson

At this point in the game, I'm only spending miranium to unlock augment slots. And man they cost a lot lol. I need to work on finding a better probe configuration on the maps.

Wait, did you already go past the point of no return when Elma asks you like twice if you're ready?
If not, I think you can still do regular missions before that which can sometimes net you a good amount of money.
And have you unlocked all the scenic views yet? Or rearranged your probe placement to get more money?

Do some regular missions at mission control! You sometimes get some good money just for collecting/hunting random stuff.

No I saved right before that fight. As in when she asked you twice I was like huh I better save. I'm there. I can roam around the world and stuff. I haven't set up my probes much either. I'm getting like 21000 miranium. Wait I guess I can do normal missions and stuff right? Not affinity. I didn't even think about that.

A question though. I found a good spot to grind until level 50. Does the amount of damage a skell can do increase as your level goes up? Or is it all based off of equipment. Like if I can't beat the boss at level 45 with the same equipment as level 50? I'm just not making a lot of money right now.

Top Bottom