• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Rizzi

I bought a Wii U for this game, played an hour and a half of it then got distracted by everything else for like three months. I popped it in again though!
My poor Wii U disc drive sounds super loud when I play it. Is that normal?

Pokemaniac

I bought a Wii U for this game, played an hour and a half of it then got distracted by everything else for like three months. I popped it in again though!
My poor Wii U disc drive sounds super loud when I play it. Is that normal?

Depends on what exactly you mean by "super loud". Also, if you're playing a physical copy, downloading the data packs will help with that.

Blues1990

I'm playing the game for a second go-around, & I want to know what's the best build for post-game?

EDIT: Also, with regards to skills, which ones are the best for Lao? Electric Boost, Knock 'n' Shock, Conductive Strike/TP Overdrive?

jonjonaug

I'm playing the game for a second go-around, & I want to know what's the best build for post-game?

There's lots of good builds, but any build that lets you extend Overdrive to infinity on foot (there's a good number of them) should work fine against almost anything. As for Skells, the Ares 90 with proper augments and skill timing (you can't have immobilizing status effects inflicted against you during certain weapon animations) can solo anything up to and including the Telethia.

Blues1990

There's lots of good builds, but any build that lets you extend Overdrive to infinity on foot (there's a good number of them) should work fine against almost anything. As for Skells, the Ares 90 with proper augments and skill timing (you can't have immobilizing status effects inflicted against you during certain weapon animations) can solo anything up to and including the Telethia.

I originally went with the Striker (Assault Rifle + Longsword) and later went with Enforcer after maxing out Samurai Gunner and Duelist on my first playthrough. But good god, I couldn't even remotely do as much damage as some of the other players when I went to do the online blade missions with them.

And after looking online, this Ether Blossom Dance Build looks incredibly tasty. I've been saving a lot of skill points right now, so I just want to know what can work best when I use Overdrive on foot.

Renewed

At some point, the Ares 90 gets rotated for certain custom Skells (I used one that I could tweak for either heavy burst damage or breaking multiple appendages at once for farm runs). But Ares 90 is solid right out the gate.

I had fun with Javelin, Knife, Raygun, etc. Ether Blossom Dance is also a good time when you try it out. Honestly, finding ways to make everything work was the best.

On the mission "The Matchmaker" I should be able to buy 10 pizzas at army pizzas but I can't, I only get these options. I have the money required.

WVW69jPIccUYjAUWed

jonjonaug

I tried. :/

Still doesn't work. I get the same dialogue choices.

Weird, I can't find any similar issues through Google. Try following this video exactly and check your quest log to see if you have any side quests open that might involve the Manon or the pizza restaurant is all I can think of otherwise.

I'm having fun trying to sneak past enemies that will annihilate me in a couple hits because I'm under leveled.

Just swam to Sylvalum from Primordia at level 20 and dropped a couple probes. Very fun. I'm new but I'm mostly having a good time.

matmanx1

I'm having fun trying to sneak past enemies that will annihilate me in a couple hours because I'm under leveled.

Just swam to Sylvalum from Primordia at level 20 and dropped a couple probes. Very fun. I'm new but I'm mostly having a good time.

Yeah the exploration and sense of danger is pretty fantastic. One of my best "sneak probes" was over on the far coast of Oblivia in and around that Prone base that has level 50+ enemies. I think I was around level 20 when I got a couple of those Probe spots, before I even had Skells. Pretty intense and very fun.

flyover

Yeah the exploration and sense of danger is pretty fantastic. One of my best "sneak probes" was over on the far coast of Oblivia in and around that Prone base that has level 50+ enemies. I think I was around level 20 when I got a couple of those Probe spots, before I even had Skells. Pretty intense and very fun.

Yup. Weird as may sound to some, my favorite time playing the game may have been the pre-skell hours I spent abandoning everything except planting as many probes as possible and running away from enemies in Noctilum, Oblivia, and Sylvalum (which I didn't even know I could get to for a long, long time).

Yeah, there's a pretty awesome thrill of "I'm not supposed to be here" when you go out exploring like that, and it's something you don't get from a lot of games

On the other hand, I keep getting weirded out by missions that say they're two or three stars, and it's like "go in this cave and get stuff!" and when I get there I see some level 40's guarding the place. I wish it was more obvious about what your level is supposed to be before you take on a mission.

Weird, I can't find any similar issues through Google. Try following this video exactly and check your quest log to see if you have any side quests open that might involve the Manon or the pizza restaurant is all I can think of otherwise.

I checked my quest log, but had no luck finding anything.

:/

There obviously is something.

EDIT: Had a mission that I had to hand in at the Ma-non ship as the hand in. It involved gathering some food (including pizza) and I must have forgotten about it as I haven't played in months.

After accepting it, the army pizza worked!

Boogiepop

...damn. Okay, just got my first Skell and started to play around with it, and... based on first impressions, my worries of them throwing off a game I've been really enjoying seem unfortunately founded. First off, they seem... kind of broken. As in something that I could just barely not beat turned trivial after plopping my MC in a Skell. Though super strong things seem to still of course be deadly, but yeah, they seem to practically act as a straight up buff that's effectively equivalent to at least a few levels, so you're handicapping yourself not to use it. Which isn't the absolute worst, buuuuuut... at least from my first hour or two with the thing, it seems to be a very similar but slightly worse battle system.

The big thing that's killing it for me is how shockingly poorly they seem to fit with the basic game/world design. IE the idea of a limited amount of insurance goes pretty poorly with the idea of super powerful monsters wandering around everywhere, and that's just made worse by it being the preferable quick transportation that happens to be a bigger target.

I mean, I was doing an affinity quest prerequisite for the next story quest, and got into a battle for it. And without me noticing what was happening, one of those flying things that was like 30 levels over me decided to hop in and one-shot me, costing me an insurance. Ugh.

So yeah, any tips on how to best implement Skells into my playing so they don't screw up an otherwise really neat game (and maaaaaybe manage to add to it somehow)? Thinking that, much as it'd be handicapping myself noticeably, I may be best off using it as a "trump card" for only when I really need it, since that seems like it'd make for a better play experience in the long run. (This is at least doable, right? Like, the game doesn't become unplayable if you choose to use Skells sparingly, yeah?)

Just kind of disappointed right now as I really do feel like the game would've been better off without the giant transforming robots, neat as they may seem at a glance...

Pay attention to what time of day the big beastie appears and fight at a different time.

As for the Skels i use them to roam around a bit, get to higher plateaus and smash critters. I do spend most of my time running around still and if i end up miles away from my skels and fancy some big robot action i just fast travel to the same location and there they are.

I usually scout ahead on foot and run back to the Skel if i think i need it or fast travel and it's there and i'm off again.

Skels are more useful for vertical exploring imo and some creatures don't aggro to Skels so i use them to move through those areas easily.

flyover

XCX has made me realize that Google should seriously get into game development and make games just like this one. They'd make a killing off search ads. I don't think I've ever Googled anything in my entire life as much as I've Googled shit for this game. I have link on my phone's homescreen that pre-populates a Google search with "xenoblade x"...

Boogiepop

Pay attention to what time of day the big beastie appears and fight at a different time.

As for the Skels i use them to roam around a bit, get to higher plateaus and smash critters. I do spend most of my time running around still and if i end up miles away from my skels and fancy some big robot action i just fast travel to the same location and there they are.

I usually scout ahead on foot and run back to the Skel if i think i need it or fast travel and it's there and i'm off again.

Skels are more useful for vertical exploring imo and some creatures don't aggro to Skels so i use them to move through those areas easily.
Thanks for this. I've mellowed a bit since that post and I've been doing okay with the plan of "stick to on foot unless you need a trump card/something for better movement temporarily".

Also, holy crap is it dumb that the sandstorm knocks you out of opening field items. Climbed up to the top of a fortress in Oblivia and one started up, and I had to just sit there and deal with it till it was over since I wanted to open the crap and didn't want to have to climb back up later. Such a stupid and frustrating decision that they made it work that way.

casiopao

First post on the OT here lol. Just inserted 309 hours for the game here and i had question guys. How many Skells i can own? As i wanted to own all Post game skells but i am afraid that i would faces storage problem here.

XCX has made me realize that Google should seriously get into game development and make games just like this one. They'd make a killing off search ads. I don't think I've ever Googled anything in my entire life as much as I've Googled shit for this game. I have link on my phone's homescreen that pre-populates a Google search with "xenoblade x"...

Lol, we had the same experience here lol.

matmanx1

I took a break from Overwatch last night to finish up chapter 8. Fighting against level 31 enemies with my level 40'ish team made most of the fights really easy. Now I just need to purchase level 40 skells which is going to be really expensive!

Blues1990

I have already checked the post linked to the original post, but I was wondering if someone could show me their FrontierNav map, as I'm struggling to make the big bucks.

jdstorm

Banned
I took a break from Overwatch last night to finish up chapter 8. Fighting against level 31 enemies with my level 40'ish team made most of the fights really easy. Now I just need to purchase level 40 skells which is going to be really expensive!

Don't do it. Just save up for the level 50s. You can beat most enemies up to level 60 with the right level 30 skell team.

matmanx1

Don't do it. Just save up for the level 50s. You can beat most enemies up to level 60 with the right level 30 skell team.

Really? Because I have a mission in Oblivia where I have to rescue some xeno's from a Prone base and the enemies are all around level 50. My team can handle one or two at a time but even then it is a little bit dicey.

Do I just need to wait til I hit level 50 and come back to this mission? My thought was that the level 40 Skells would give me the extra bit of "oomph" I needed to get over the hurdle and clear the mission.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Because I have a mission in Oblivia where I have to rescue some xeno's from a Prone base and the enemies are all around level 50. My team can handle one or two at a time but even then it is a little bit dicey.

Do I just need to wait til I hit level 50 and come back to this mission? My thought was that the level 40 Skells would give me the extra bit of "oomph" I needed to get over the hurdle and clear the mission.

The cost of buying skells is really prohibitive. If you spend that money on the Level 40 ones, you are not likely to earn it back by the time you need the Level 50 ones. If you plan on doing any of the end game stuff I fully recommend skipping the lvl 40 skells. Gotta save up that money.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If you're having trouble with mech enemies just grab some beam swords and other beam element weapons.

alvis.exe

Wait are there actually level 40 Skell frames? I thought it was just level 30 and level 50?

jdstorm

Banned

Thats tricky, but you can do that with level 30 skells. just use a medium/heavy one for the extra armour. And make sure you buy a few Gbuster weapons

If you don't mind grinding you can actually hit level 60 with level 30 skells. There is a cliff in the furthest continent (oblivia?) close to a probe

Edit; check your weapon augments and skills to make sure you have weapons that easily damage Prones

TheMoon

There's no way to view the map without the gamepad is there? Not a huge fan of the gamepad.

No.

Play with a Pro Controller. Look at GamePad when necessary. Done. I'm assuming here that you eyes can bear the sight of the GamePad at the very least.

Boogiepop

So wait, you can set Skells to NPCs. Does the mean you can have more of your party in Skells then just the main character? And if so, is that a bad idea because you don't control the bailout for if hp gets low?

Golnei

So wait, you can set Skells to NPCs. Does the mean you can have more of your party in Skells then just the main character? And if so, is that a bad idea because you don't control the bailout for if hp gets low?

NPCs can't use up insurance if their Skells are destroyed, that mechanic only applies to the player.

Pokemaniac

Oh, awesome! That'll help a hell of a lot with the fight I'm on right now, then!

This only works if the skell has at least 2 insurance points remaining. Basically, there's this QTE that happens when your skell is wrecked, and if you get perfect on that AND you still have insurance points AFTER one has already been subtracted, then it will give the point back. NPCs always get perfect on their QTEs, so they take advantage of this quirk (an interview suggested that this mechanic was more or less snuck into the game) whenever possible.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
This only works if the skell has at least 2 insurance points remaining. Basically, there's this QTE that happens when your skell is wrecked, and if you get perfect on that AND you still have insurance points AFTER one has already been subtracted, then it will give the point back. NPCs always get perfect on their QTEs, so they take advantage of this quirk (an interview suggested that this mechanic was more or less snuck into the game) whenever possible.
One remaining

Top Bottom