• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Vena

I'm planning on doing absolutely everything in the game beyond just the stuff tracked by the 100% counter. I just want to make sure the affinity links don't level up or anything.

Oh. I don't think they do but I've never kept track of it.

alvis.exe

So I'm looking to 100% the game and I was wondering about the affinity chart.

Obviously I need to max the affinity chart with the other playable characters and do all the affinity missions but what about the NPCS and affinities between other characters? Will talking to all of them and doing all the Affinity/normal/basic missions cover them?

You'll need to talk to NPCs multiple times throughout the course of the game as affinity links will change and shift as you unlock new NPCs and complete quests. There are even some affinity shifts that are required for 100% map completion!

Of course different outcomes to quests will result in different things happening to the affinity chart like in the first game. I was actually aiming for a "best outcomes" with the least amount of NPC death possible but this one quest chain screwed me over where the selection I made in a seemingly unrelated mission hours ago led to the death of an NPC hours of gameplay later...

Stupid Oche Wolfen. I was fine with Odsent dying since I don't think it gets an affinity chart icon but now I have an extra X in my chart.

But anyways, I'm pretty sure if you do all the normal missions and then talk to all the NPCs (multiple times to be sure they don't have extra dialogue) you'll be able to get all the affinity links/shifts possible? Though sometimes NPCs do move around after the completion of various quests so I wonder if it's possible to miss certain affinity links... I basically just talk to anyone I see if I've noticed they've moved, I haven't talked to them in a while, or if I know they were involved with a quest I just did. Seems to be working well enough!

kunonabi

You'll need to talk to NPCs multiple times throughout the course of the game as affinity links will change and shift as you unlock new NPCs and complete quests. There are even some affinity shifts that are required for 100% map completion!

Of course different outcomes to quests will result in different things happening to the affinity chart like in the first game. I was actually aiming for a "best outcomes" with the least amount of NPC death possible but this one quest chain screwed me over where the selection I made in a seemingly unrelated mission hours ago led to the death of an NPC hours of gameplay later...

Stupid Oche Wolfen. I was fine with Odsent dying since I don't think it gets an affinity chart icon but now I have an extra X in my chart.

But anyways, I'm pretty sure if you do all the normal missions and then talk to all the NPCs (multiple times to be sure they don't have extra dialogue) you'll be able to get all the affinity links/shifts possible? Though sometimes NPCs do move around after the completion of various quests so I wonder if it's possible to miss certain affinity links... I basically just talk to anyone I see if I've noticed they've moved, I haven't talked to them in a while, or if I know they were involved with a quest I just did. Seems to be working well enough!

Thanks, that's sounds like a pain to keep track of but I'll give it a go nonetheless.

basik

I need some help... I'm stuck on the affinity mission "hope springs eternal" its the one you get after finiding the pearls in front of the church. I did not know I shouldnt have accepted this mission! they shouldnt have had this mission available for me and I cant cancel it.
I'm only lvl 21 and I dont have a skell yet. it says I have to go to "couldros" to find the napon caravan. I've never even been to that continent yet and have no idea how to get there. trying to read some faqs they arent very helpful on how to get there without a skell. the faqs also say thats the hardest continent in the game...so great I'm gonna get my ass kicked repeatedly huh. can somebody help me? tell me how to get there and any useful tips for doing this quest without a skell. I'm at the end of chapter 4 and can no longer progress in my game because I accepted this mission!

Renewed

I need some help... I'm stuck on the affinity mission "hope springs eternal" its the one you get after finiding the pearls in front of the church. I did not know I shouldnt have accepted this mission! they shouldnt have had this mission available for me and I cant cancel it.
I'm only lvl 21 and I dont have a skell yet. it says I have to go to "couldros" to find the napon caravan. I've never even been to that continent yet and have no idea how to get there. trying to read some faqs they arent very helpful on how to get there without a skell. the faqs also say thats the hardest continent in the game...so great I'm gonna get my ass kicked repeatedly huh. can somebody help me? tell me how to get there and any useful tips for doing this quest without a skell. I'm at the end of chapter 4 and can no longer progress in my game because I accepted this mission!

Start by heading to the ocean and swim along the west side of Primordia up north (you can set to Auto-Run and click in to sprint). Keep swimming north past the west side of Sylvalum and dodge enemies you might encounter (islands and such). Arrive at this area and try to scale the steep hill to the east towards the main body of Cauldros.

T8GpCbA.jpg

After that, you can head to the nearby marker for the caravan. I might have missed some things but hopefully it should go well. Honestly, you can come up with any feasible idea for getting somewhere and you can do it. You could literally run past everything in Sylvalum up north right into the entrance of Cauldros and you'd probably be alright.

Well, just getting back into this game at around chapter 4, going on 5. I'm level 20 and just met
L
and
Ylev
and they are about five levels lower than the rest of the gang. Is it hard to keep all the reserve party members leveled? Is it even worth it?

Also, there are so many systems to get my head around it's almost impenetrable. I have a plop-ton of missions to do, but I guess I can start doing the side quests with my new party members to level them a bit. Is this a good plan?

Also, what's the point of scouting random party members you meet in the wild?

So many questions...

Rizzi

Is there a way to tell if a mission is going to make me need to run past a bunch of incredibly high level monsters or the boss is going to be way too tough to beat?

alvis.exe

Well, just getting back into this game at around chapter 4, going on 5. I'm level 20 and just met
L
and
Ylev
and they are about five levels lower than the rest of the gang. Is it hard to keep all the reserve party members leveled? Is it even worth it?

Also, there are so many systems to get my head around it's almost impenetrable. I have a plop-ton of missions to do, but I guess I can start doing the side quests with my new party members to level them a bit. Is this a good plan?

So many questions...

I wouldn't worry too much about leveling up your reserve party members because once you get a Skell it's prettttty easy to catch everyone up to where you are. IIRC though you'll want to have at least a bit of affinity with Lao and Gwin as those will be story mission requirements down the line. As for everyone else, you'll unlock ways to quickly level affinity in the post-game so don't feel compelled to grind all the characters to max before then! In other words, just use whomever you like. I liked switching up my party a lot just to hear all the dialogue haha.

Though now that I think about it there are two characters you might want to get up to ~3 hearts affinity each since that will actually let you have them both in the party at the same time. Although considering they're two of my favorite characters in the game I maaay be a little biased on this heh.

I actually never scouted any of the player avatars you find in the world. If you want to you could probably just go directly from the terminal? There's a trick involving scouting low level BLADEs that you can use to earn medals which in turn let you challenge the global nemesis which in turn lets you earn reward tickets which can be exchanged for rare materials you'll need to craft augments/gear... but you really don't need to worry about all that at this point.

Honestly just take it easy! There's a lot of systems but things will come naturally if you just take things one step at a time I think.

I finally got my CE after it travelled across 3 countries lol. Super happy. This is my first Wii U game purchase. Will borrow my friend's Wii U later this month to play it. Already got the 4CD OST on the shelf as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about leveling up your reserve party members because once you get a Skell it's prettttty easy to catch everyone up to where you are. IIRC though you'll want to have at least a bit of affinity with Lao and Gwin as those will be story mission requirements down the line. As for everyone else, you'll unlock ways to quickly level affinity in the post-game so don't feel compelled to grind all the characters to max before then! In other words, just use whomever you like. I liked switching up my party a lot just to hear all the dialogue haha.

Though now that I think about it there are two characters you might want to get up to ~3 hearts affinity each since that will actually let you have them both in the party at the same time. Although considering they're two of my favorite characters in the game I maaay be a little biased on this heh.

I actually never scouted any of the player avatars you find in the world. If you want to you could probably just go directly from the terminal? There's a trick involving scouting low level BLADEs that you can use to earn medals which in turn let you challenge the global nemesis which in turn lets you earn reward tickets which can be exchanged for rare materials you'll need to craft augments/gear... but you really don't need to worry about all that at this point.

Honestly just take it easy! There's a lot of systems but things will come naturally if you just take things one step at a time I think.

Thanks for the great response.

Malrend

So I'm returning to my previous save, after a few months having gone by since I last played.

I'm currently on the Skell Exam quest-line, specifically doing number 7, for which I need one of three "trial" weapons.
Anyone know where to get these?

EDIT:
Nevermind found them.

rulerk1

I've been playing this game alot again and everytime I try to grind enemy drops for something another thing I have to get come ups. I should keep a checklist for this game lol

I also got me an ether sword too. I feel so powerful

Is there a way to tell if a mission is going to make me need to run past a bunch of incredibly high level monsters or the boss is going to be way too tough to beat?

In general no, but at least the Basic Missions will give you a relative difficulty level with the star ratings.

matmanx1

Until you get a few levels in you, you can almost always assume the answer to this is "yes". Consider it part of the fun and challenge!

I finally got my CE after it travelled across 3 countries lol. Super happy. This is my first Wii U game purchase. Will borrow my friend's Wii U later this month to play it. Already got the 4CD OST on the shelf as well.

Congrats! This game is, to me, incredible. 75 hours later and I'm still playing it almost every day and have not yet completed Chapter 10! And as I write this I'm actually listening to the OST, which I really, really like. I sincerely hope you enjoy your time with XCX as much as I am enjoying mine.

jdstorm

Banned

You can swim/run there. Just be careful and run away from every high level enemy

So many questions...

Scouting party members are extremely useful for getting blade medals, which are a very hot commodity in the late game. Scouting in the field is nice in particular because you can do it without having to warp all the way back to the terminal every other battle (the hiring low level scouts from NLA trick is way too quick a process for my tastes when I'm trying to multitask with other things out in the world)

But yea you don't have to worry about it yet in the middle of the story.

rulerk1

TIL: You can give AI commands quickly
R + Up: Concentrate attacks (will attack the selected appendage)
R + Down: Assemble (will stay close to your character)
R + Left: Activate Overdrive (Dunno the specifics about this one, if they'll avoid Tension Arts and helping incapacitated allies)
R + Right: Keep your tension high (Will avoid using Tension Arts and Activating Overdrive. I don't know if they'll avoid helping incapacitated allies)

This is so useful

Raiden

Banned
I recently bought this and i am really enjoying it while i pretty much hated the first version. But i got that one on 3DS and as i suspected the only reason i hated it was because i played it on 3DS. Say what you want but these games are meant to be played on a tv screen with a controller.

I'm digging this game, a lot. I've got over 100 hours in and I've not finished the main story line, to many side quests.
Although I am annoyed at affinity missions required for story progression. Means I have to break up my party to focus on yet another character. They have way to many extra characters in this game, it's just over kill.

But I still enjoy it and I'm going to see if I can't finish up the story this week and move onto the post game.

Ennosuke

I had a long Xenoblade break, but last week I started playing again, because I want to finish the main story, before in the next week many awesome JRPGs will be released. It is hard to believe how much time this game is consuming. I have two weeks vacation now and already put 22 hours in it. Only chapter 11 and 12 are left, but not sure if I am strong enough. My level is 51, but my equipment sucks, especially the ground gear.

It is a great game, but it feels sometimes like too much work instead of fun.

I had a long Xenoblade break, but last week I started playing again, because I want to finish the main story, before in the next week many awesome JRPGs will be released. It is hard to believe how much time this game is consuming. I have two weeks vacation now and already put 22 hours in it. Only chapter 11 and 12 are left, but not sure if I am strong enough. My level is 51, but my equipment sucks, especially the ground gear.

It is a great game, but it feels sometimes like too much work instead of fun.

Too true. I like a lot of the concepts the game is going for. Unlockables, item gathering, then crafting but the grind for each is too high and random.

That said, now that I started cheating in the game, my opinion of it has done a complete 180 as bad as that is to admit. All I've done is give myself items to avoid the random gathering, max BP for abilities as they come along, max money (because why not) and mod the abilities on the weapons I'm using for the protagonist, Elma, and Lin (because these two are disproportionately tied to you) and wham, the games playabiltiy skyrocketed for me.

Best part is, it's still challenging in most spots. Not immortal, not one shotting level 99's at 30 ect. Still have to fight, use positioning, and decent set ups to play.

I'm actually interested in the characters side stories, I can go about story quests without massive gaps between, and no item grinding if I'm getting too bored picking up crystals looking for one drop. This is my third attempt at playing this game and I'm super glad I did not give up entirely, bit the bullet and started modding my file. Being able to see the game at my pace rather than the pace of the grind is awesome.

I may not be playing it the "original way" but this game became a million times more interesting for me now that I made the pace of plot points faster by doing this. Always been an advocate of cheating in single player games to make them more "playable" for the user if they are not enjoying every aspect of the game but still are interested enough to want to play to the end. And should be included in with games (ala Final Fantasy 7-9 re-releases) Turned this from one of my most regretted purchases of last year to one of my favorites.

Sorry for the rant but just excited to make progress lol. The character stories got really interesting, and so did the story, chapter 8 -phew fans self-

matmanx1

Ok, any tips for saving up for a level 50 Skell? My main party hit level 50 and a level 50 Amdusias is my next major goal. I have about 2.5 million and I need about 4.5 million to purchase the Amdusias.

flyover

Ok, any tips for saving up for a level 50 Skell? My main party hit level 50 and a level 50 Amdusias is my next major goal. I have about 2.5 million and I need about 4.5 million to purchase the Amdusias.
Yeah, this is the one part of the game where you'll be strapped for cash. Once you get that skell, it'll add up fast!

First, check out your research probe placement. What a lot of people do (and I did) is set them up all over Oblivia. Link three or more same-level probes to get chain bonuses, and mix in any booster and duplicator probes you have (preferably in spots where they link to several other probes). Mix and match a little to see what arrangement gives you the most revenue. Just like real life, passive income is the best income! Leave your game running even when you're not playing, if you can.

This is also a good time to cull your inventory. You probably have a crapload of stuff you'll never need. Equip all your characters how you want, and then sell off damn near everything else that won't be fashion gear.

Do this purge periodically, and/or sell weapons and armor when claiming battle spoils, if you know you won't want them. Don't worry about accidentally selling something great; you can almost always get it again, if not something better.

Others may have better, more detailed suggestions, but that worked for me. Doing all Alexa's affinity missions will also help you up your skell game, if you've been using her. Good luck!

matmanx1

Yeah, this is the one part of the game where you'll be strapped for cash. Once you get that skell, it'll add up fast!

First, check out your research probe placement. What a lot of people do (and I did) is set them up all over Oblivia. Link three or more same-level probes to get chain bonuses, and mix in any booster and duplicator probes you have (preferably in spots where they link to several other probes). Mix and match a little to see what arrangement gives you the most revenue. Just like real life, passive income is the best income! Leave your game running even when you're not playing, if you can.

This is also a good time to cull your inventory. You probably have a crapload of stuff you'll never need. Equip all your characters how you want, and then sell off damn near everything else that won't be fashion gear.

Do this purge periodically, and/or sell weapons and armor when claiming battle spoils, if you know you won't want them. Don't worry about accidentally selling something great; you can almost always get it again, if not something better.

Others may have better, more detailed suggestions, but that worked for me. Doing all Alexa's affinity missions will also help you up your skell game, if you've been using her. Good luck!

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions. I did some probe rearranging last night to get up to about 86k passive income but I have more that I can do. It would also help for me to go and finally get all the rest of those sightseeing spots uncovered, so I definitely have room to grow in that regard.

I've been grinding like crazy to get the masks for the Ares 90, out of several hours doing the time attack mission, I have 2..... The vita cores were easer to get.

I'm guessing I just need to grind a couple thousand reward tickets.

I've been grinding like crazy to get the masks for the Ares 90, out of several hours doing the time attack mission, I have 2..... The vita cores were easer to get.

I'm guessing I just need to grind a couple thousand reward tickets.

Do you have the Treasure Sensor gear equipped? Because I certainly didn't have that much trouble.

Zalusithix

Just ticket spam them. I got the masks the normal way my first Ares 90, but burned tickets for every other time I needed them. Not worth the time and effort for those things when it is better spent in RNG hell on regular equipment - both skell and ground gear. Getting perfect (or near perfect) attributes on gear is a pain in the ass, and can't be done with tickets.

Just ticket spam them. I got the masks the normal way my first Ares 90, but burned tickets for every other time I needed them. Not worth the time and effort for those things when it is better spent in RNG hell on regular equipment - both skell and ground gear. Getting perfect (or near perfect) attributes on gear is a pain in the ass, and can't be done with tickets.
I keep trying to ticket farm, but the game boots me offline every 10-30 minutes I'm restarting the game more then I'm completing squad goals.

Zalusithix

I keep trying to ticket farm, but the game boots me offline every 10-30 minutes I'm restarting the game more then I'm completing squad goals.

Unless the servers have become even less stable since I stopped playing, getting booted that often seems rather excessive. That said, ticket farming is best done with nemesis part farming which doesn't take long. Especially with part break builds which can be accomplished even on a 50 skell. Using squad tasks for tickets is comparatively a slow boat to China.

So I finally got a Ares 90, then I was able to farm the global nemesis for a second one. I guess now it's on to endgame gear farming and wrapping up affinity missions.

Is there a guide out there that lists what needs to be done to complete each map segment? I'm at 94.48℅, with no idea what to do for most of the remainder.

Edit: Found an incomplete one compiling information from a bunch of places; helped me with a few tyrants.

Picked up this game and am about 3 hours in so far? Just got to the point where I'm officially a BLADE and can do my own thing.

Honestly, I feel my low expectations (due to people badmouthing this) has actually made me really surprised by its quality. Those saying this game is incredible for exploration were absolutely right. The world is simply staggeringly huge and richly detailed.

It needs to be said though - this game is incredibly complex. Like, I'm getting quite overwhelmed by all the systems and details at play here. However, whenever I get too overwhelmed by it all I just say "well, I'll just go out to the world and explore!" and have lots of fun.

Question: are the other continents in this game as detailed and packed with stuff to explore? Do you end up traveling to them naturally through the water (or whatever) or do you have to warp there somehow?

Side point - if Breath of the Wild is indeed almost as big a world as this, I'm going to be shocked. It's huge!

Zalusithix

Picked up this game and am about 3 hours in so far? Just got to the point where I'm officially a BLADE and can do my own thing.

Honestly, I feel my low expectations (due to people badmouthing this) has actually made me really surprised by its quality. Those saying this game is incredible for exploration were absolutely right. The world is simply staggeringly huge and richly detailed.

It needs to be said though - this game is incredibly complex. Like, I'm getting quite overwhelmed by all the systems and details at play here. However, whenever I get too overwhelmed by it all I just say "well, I'll just go out to the world and explore!" and have lots of fun.

Question: are the other continents in this game as detailed and packed with details to explore? Do you end up traveling to them naturally through the water (or whatever) or do you have to warp there somehow?

Side point - if Breath of the Wild is indeed almost as big a world as this, I'm going to be shocked. It's huge!

Yes the other continents are quire packed with detail. Lots of stuff you wont have a chance of even seeing until you get a skell, and even more where you need flight capabilities. Though flight can trivialize everything that doesn't need it.

All travel in XCX is organic. There's no warping until you've unlocked an area and choose to use the function. You could go through the entire game with never using quick travel.

Yes the other continents are quire packed with detail. Lots of stuff you wont have a chance of even seeing until you get a skell, and even more where you need flight capabilities. Though flight can trivialize everything that doesn't need it.

All travel in XCX is organic. There's no warping until you've unlocked an area and choose to use the function. You could go through the entire game with never using quick travel.

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Looking forward to this.

Pokemaniac

Is there a guide out there that lists what needs to be done to complete each map segment? I'm at 94.48℅, with no idea what to do for most of the remainder.

Edit: Found an incomplete one compiling information from a bunch of places; helped me with a few tyrants.

If you're still having trouble finding stuff, feel free to ask about any specific hexes you're missing. I might not be able to answer right away, but I can easily look up the clear conditions for any of the hexes (I'm at 99.5% survey, and know exactly what I'm missing).

If you're still having trouble finding stuff, feel free to ask about any specific hexes you're missing. I might not be able to answer right away, but I can easily look up the clear conditions for any of the hexes (I'm at 99.5% survey, and know exactly what I'm missing).

Thank you very much for the offer, but...

I managed to get there. :)

I'm almost disappointed. It was a fun world to explore.

matmanx1

It was a productive holiday weekend for me. I finally got all the credits I needed to buy the lvl 50 Amdusias Skell which also meant I could pass down my lvl 30 Lailah to whoever my 4th party member was (currently Irina).

I picked up the Tobias quest where you need 130k credits collected from probe revenue in a single go and I should have that set up by tonight. I just need a few more scenic viewpoints discovered in Cauldros and I understand that this quest is sort of a pre-req for the eventual Ares-90, so that is good.

Once I have that finished I will probably go ahead and do the Chapters 10 - 12 story missions all in succession, unless there is some compelling reason to wait.

Top Bottom