• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Lumyst

I think the game sometimes tries to compensate the player if they choose the bad choice. For that one quest gives you a little more information and
makes Powell much more sympathetic.

Ah, so
the outcome where Ackwar dies is the one where the player gets some closure out of Powell?

Astral Dog

finally unlocked lv. 50 Skells, but im dissapointed they seem mostly the same models :( i was hoping completely new designs.

But now to see if i buy the most expensive then i might get two lv 50 and the old lv 30 but there is going to be someone left on foot...

RaidenZR

Having a really REALLY tough time with something and I feel like I'm ultra-fucked and stuck in this game. I took on an Affinity Quest called "A New Rival?" which needs me to go to the continent of Noctilum with H.B. (who's a piece of crap)

The problem lies in the fact that I'm still nowhere close to mapping out Primordia, and can't actually even get to Noctilum, so I'm not even sure I can complete some big mission there. Either the geography blocks me or there's overpowered enemies near the fringes of Primordia that 1-shot my entire party.A quick google search has led me to believe there's no way to cancel, quit, or shelve an affinity mission, so this adds to the problem. I also can't take more story missions with this affinity one active.

I'm super annoyed. Anyone have any advice or information? Am I missing something?

Collectible quests needs to go away for the 3rd installment.. Especially ones where you need "uniques".

Uniques as in the ones that show up as red? Nothing wrong with those.

I thought the quests in general were massively improved in this from the first Xenoblade (don't know about the quest board ones though but they're entirely ignorable, not sure why they even included them tbh).

Rurunaki

I thought the quests in general were massively improved in this from the first Xenoblade (don't know about the quest board ones though but they're entirely ignorable, not sure why they even included them tbh).

Uniques as in those that rarely spawn usually the last boxes in the Collectopedia.

Astral Dog

I'm annoyed at this final mission before getting the Skell license. I have to find 3 beagflea squashes but they aren't dropping

ugh this thing, i think they were on Oblivia the Caravan around the lake (or other lakes), not sure if you can use reward tickets to drop them

Rurunaki

Having a really REALLY tough time with something and I feel like I'm ultra-fucked and stuck in this game. I took on an Affinity Quest called "A New Rival?" which needs me to go to the continent of Noctilum with H.B. (who's a piece of crap)

The problem lies in the fact that I'm still nowhere close to mapping out Primordia, and can't actually even get to Noctilum, so I'm not even sure I can complete some big mission there. Either the geography blocks me or there's overpowered enemies near the fringes of Primordia that 1-shot my entire party.A quick google search has led me to believe there's no way to cancel, quit, or shelve an affinity mission, so this adds to the problem. I also can't take more story missions with this affinity one active.

I'm super annoyed. Anyone have any advice or information? Am I missing something?

Explore Primordia and do message board quests. That's what I did before going to Noctilum.

Golnei

I'm annoyed at this final mission before getting the Skell license. I have to find 3 beagflea squashes but they aren't dropping

They should be a common drop around Lake Basel.

ugh this thing, i think they were on Oblivia the Caravan around the lake (or other lakes), not sure if you can use reward tickets to drop them

Only enemy drops can be bought with reward tickets, unfortunately.

Let me guess. Dual Guns + Longsword?

2 times with thermal longsword; thermal katana from Sharnaak and the normal giant blade one (I prefer thermal than ether katana since ether build make you lose the ability to break the appendages and also because thermal can give higher damage output with low cost), and yeah it was paired with dual guns.

Ghost factory/ghost walker is pretty essential for sword user so I don't really have much choice for sub-weapon unless I could spend more time to grind for material to make another build (infinite topple)

2 others, I'm using shield and sniper.

By the way, fighting Gravius actually need a bit of strategy, even when you already have the same exact ultra build (like the famous ether blossom dance). If you don't know his pattern, you'll get wrecked within few turns. Try it :)

1) HB is actually awesome.
2) You can get to Noctilum right out of the gate. Look at your map; there's a way. Everyone misses it and I have no idea why.

Hint:
You can just swim across the lake in the northwest. The other side is beach and the entrance to Noctilum is of low elevation, that is, you can walk right in.

RaidenZR

1) HB is actually awesome.
2) You can get to Noctilum right out of the gate. Look at your map; there's a way. Everyone misses it and I have no idea why.

Hint:
You can just swim across the lake in the northwest. The other side is beach and the entrance to Noctilum is of low elevation, that is, you can walk right in.

Hmm, I did this but it was all walled cliffs for days. It eventually opens out?

Soulflarz

Banned
So for the sake of discussion
Why the hell did they call this a spiritual sequel

Does Monolith not know the difference between "not direct sequel" and "spiritual sequel"?

Golnei

The normal and affinity missions are so much better than the first game's sidequests, I agree completely. The basic missions are okay if you treat them as being completely optional - if there's a gathering mission you're one item off finishing or a tyrant near somewhere you're already going; they can function as small additional tasks on top of a larger objective; and having the social missions point out currently available normal missions is convenient - though they aren't substantial enough to be pursued on their own. I think future games would be better served by further streamlining the basic quests and the method in which they're accepted and sorted, rather than abolishing them completely.

Soulflarz

Banned
Having never played the original, what's the issue with the description?

Spiritual Sequel = No relation in plot at all, similar style (See: Demon Souls-> Dark Souls)

This game straight up mentions a place from Xenoblade Chronicles, among other things.
That isn't spiritual >_>

So for the sake of discussion
Why the hell did they call this a spiritual sequel

Does Monolith not know the difference between "not direct sequel" and "spiritual sequel"?
"Spiritual sequel" typically implies the story/lore/setting are 100% detached from the previous game or series while still paying homage to the old game(s)'s mechanics and/or tone, in which case XCX fits the bill.

However, usually devs do a "spiritual sequel" when they can't obtain the original IP (like in the case of Irrational making Bioshock because they didn't own the System Shock IP), so that's definitely weird since that wasn't the case here.

Hmm, I did this but it was all walled cliffs for days. It eventually opens out?

No idea where you jumped down from, but if you look at the map, there's a lake in the northwest shaped roughly like a "<". You want to jump in there and walk out the west side. And yes, there are some higher level enemies you'll have to avoid.

Edit: The lake is partially in the hex with Primordia's leftmost probe site, second from the top. The entrance to Noctilum is just west of the probe site.

Soulflarz

Banned
"Spiritual sequel" typically implies the story/lore/setting are 100% detached from the previous game or series while still paying homage to the old game(s)'s mechanics and/or tone, in which case XCX fits the bill.

Yeah, that's kind of my issue >__>
We have creatures from XBC like Nopons
We have a Telethia even
We even had Frontier Village get name dropped

I mean Monado earrings? Okay, reference! These things? Nope.

edit: A few Telethia actually

You should be able to walk straight to Noctilum and not encounter anything over level 12 or so.

lIG8bPe.png

Yeah, that's kind of my issue >__>
We have creatures from XBC like Nopons
We have a Telethia even
We even had Frontier Village get name dropped

I mean Monado earrings? Okay, reference! These things? Nope.
It's common for developers to reference past games even if they don't intend for it to be canon. I wouldn't take those references as implication that the game is a sequel to XC's story.

Heck, Takahashi (the series director) is already known to do this. Xenosaga was not a direct story sequel to Xenogears, and Xenoblade was not a direct sequel to either of the previous Xeno franchises.

Think of it kinda how there's a Cid in every Final Fantasy game.

finally unlocked lv. 50 Skells, but im dissapointed they seem mostly the same models :( i was hoping completely new designs.

But now to see if i buy the most expensive then i might get two lv 50 and the old lv 30 but there is going to be someone left on foot...

Lin on foot is better tanker

correojon

More than 100 hours afterand this game still manages to surprise me. I had seen very little of Cauldros and thought it was boring looking until I did a few missions there and discovered the Phosphorus Lake and a big lava pool with a gigantic new enemy inside, sorry for doubting you Xeno X! I went to Sylvalum to complete a mission and spent more than 1 hour running around discovering new things after I had planted all probes some days ago. I didn´t even use my Skell, just running around and basking in the awesome scenery and music is such a rewarding experience.

I don´t like much the direction the main story has taken, I´d like it to focus more on explaining
why everyone speaks the same language, why so many races ended up in Mira instead of some chapters just being squirmishes against the Ganglion.
However, most sidequests are great and really flesh out the world. One major flaw is that
I´m after chapter 10, the Balde Tower counter is at 9% and there´s no sense of urgency from the people of NLA. Why isn´t Nagi or Moustache Man sending everyone to explore like crazy to find the Life Core? Time´s running out!!

Something that bothers me is that I have a couple of gathering quests almost form the start of the game which I can´t complete, one of them asks me to get 2 auroral bones and the other 2 abacuses, both located in Primordia. After all the time I´ve spent in that continent I still have 0 of each one...where can I find them? They don´t appear in the list to be bought with reward tickets. The game should really give some hints on the locations of some items :S

Soulflarz

Banned
It's common for developers to reference past games even if they don't intend for it to be canon. I wouldn't take those references as implication that the game is a sequel to XC's story.

Heck, Takahashi (the series director) is already known to do this. Xenosaga was not a direct story sequel to Xenogears, and Xenoblade was not a direct sequel to either of the previous Xeno franchises.

Well
Xenosaga and Xenogears and whether or not the plot in them can be used to fill gaps in each other is a completely different topic, especially considering those are real Xeno games, vs XBC just taking the name out of honor to the director (And not stuff like "heres plot overlap leaving you with heavy deja vu!")

I dunno
Cid in every FF is okay for me since they're all diff. I'd spittake if FFVII Cid went out and mentioned Terra though.

FF7 Cid can mention FF10 crew though since FF7 is later in the timeline ;3

RaidenZR

No idea where you jumped down from, but if you look at the map, there's a lake in the northwest shaped roughly like a "<". You want to jump in there and walk out the west side. And yes, there are some higher level enemies you'll have to avoid.

Edit: The lake is partially in the hex with Primordia's leftmost probe site, second from the top. The entrance to Noctilum is just west of the probe site.

Figured it out. Thanks for the help. Was able to put up a probe near the intro to Noctilum so I'll tackle the rest tomorrow.

Appreciate the assistance and direction!

Delio

Grinding out this certain Tyrant for Boundless armor. Only got like one piece that has the augments i want on it. Amazing how long this is taking with all treasure sensor gear. Ah well once it's out of the way that will be great.

Firehead

150-something hours in, I finally have flight.
I went a bit... hog wild with the side-quests. >_>

Holy shit, flight is amazing. This changes EVERYTHING!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Im on 11
I don't like this nonsensical motivation

It's a classic of JRPs.

Chapter 11 Spoilers:
Oh the government lied to me about saving my wife and child? Then the entire human race deserves to die.
THAT IS THE ONLY LOGICAL TURN OF EVENT POSSIBLE.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's a classic of JRPs.

Chapter 11 Spoilers:
Oh the government lied to me about saving my wife and child? Then the entire human race deserves to die.
THAT IS THE ONLY LOGICAL TURN OF EVENT POSSIBLE.

It's really a shame how cliche this game is coming off of XBC

edit: I giggled at some of this stupidity

Pokemaniac

The game clearly wants you to believe that there is a connection. For one thing, a random unnamed Nopon says that, according to his grampypon, Nopon aren't actually native to Mira. When combined with all the other hints from the Nopon, particularly the very odd bit in chapter 12 where
Tatsu refers to humans as "Hom Homs"
, which is a bit hard to write off as a simple reference with all the attention the game draws to it, I don't really seem any reason to come to any conclusion other than that the games do have a direct connection.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's probably like an hour minimum, assuming you don't have to retry any of the fights. I personally wouldn't start this late, but it's not my decision.

An hour?

Pftttt
*looks over at espresso machine*
hmm

How do you feel about boss gauntlets? lol

There are like 5 phases in the fight so hopefully you know to decimate everything ever even out of Skell.

All 60s. As for ground? I was killing 45s as a 25 solo. Should be okay ;P

R.D.Blax

Well Chapter 11 sure got meta with the socio political stuff.

Im on 11
I don't like this nonsensical motivation

I also don't like that I could watch 2012 for the same stupidity

To be fair, it's not only about that, but motivation aside, what I really find stupid about this chapter ending
is that it looks like they didn't anticipate that some people would go crazy/suicidal about the whole situation like Lao and Irina. Did they forgot to bring any therapist on board to deal with this sort of stuff ?

Top Bottom