• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

chadboban

Today I got absolutely nothing done. I got lost in my Skell for hours. lol. Had fun though. Plus I got some shots at least.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01uhrnk.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_014bs6w.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016ao1k.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01gtqmr.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ujs0v.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016bq8c.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_018sr0h.jpg

Malus

OH MY GOD THAT (normal quest spoilers)
TROLL MOVE IN THE MIRALIFE CARD TRADING MISSION. "Oh you have that Silver card I've been wanting! In exchange... (next text box) Oops, I don't have anything?

I already know what to do next though lol, glad I figured this one out without having to look it up.

Jims

Has everyone seen the other outcome for the "Alien Nation" quest yet?

Spoiler warning if you haven't done that quest yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HfmYYe8Vq4

Gotta be one of the darkest moments in a Nintendo game ever. Yikes. Characters betray other characters all the time in Nintendo games but shooting defenseless creatures in the back is a new level of dark for the company. I literally gasped a little when I watched the clip because I don't expect Nintendo games to pull that stuff. I know the third guy gets up in the end but it almost makes it darker because the Ma-non ends up blaming himself for the incident. Xenoblade X has got to be Nintendo's darkest game since, uh, Majora's Mask maybe?

A shame about how monochrome most of the humans are. It's not like X is particularly bad by JRPG standards, but a narrative explicitly trying to handle themes of multiculturalism and xenophobia starring the survivors of LA definitely could have stood to have a more diverse cast than an ocean of white punctuated by three Asian-Americans and an ambiguously brown anime girl.

That was definitely something I loved to see unfold - seeing the progression of species settling into NLA justified the decision to centralise it as the only real city in the game world singlehandedly.

Though I agree that more alien party members would have been welcome. Hopefully, the next game will introduce some more character-specific classes - as much as I like the class system and unrestricted equipment; it led to not being able to take advantage of the varied world they'd established. Why can't I play as Koko?

I was just thinking about that lol. Everyone is white or tanned-white. Is really dumb, specially when the game set itself in a real-USA setting. It's not even about fitting a quota or whatever, it's about reflecting the human ethnic reality -- I mean, isn't this fucking New LOS ANGELES? What city more diverse than it?.

In other thoughts, The Murderess is kind of a cliche character, but I really love her. <3

Todays sad mission was
the one about the crew of scientists celebrating in the water purification plant in the lake in Primordia.

Cantons are really the grossest and creepiest creatures in the game. At least we now know how they're born.

Gotta be one of the darkest moments in a Nintendo game ever. Yikes. Characters betray other characters all the time in Nintendo games but shooting defenseless creatures in the back is a new level of dark for the company. I literally gasped a little when I watched the clip because I don't expect Nintendo games to pull that stuff. I know the third guy gets up in the end but it almost makes it darker because the Ma-non ends up blaming himself for the incident. Xenoblade X has got to be Nintendo's darkest game since, uh, Majora's Mask maybe?

I was pretty mad at the
dead Nopons
but the "bad" end to this mission is even worse. Ugh.

Mistle

Finally got the Ares 90. Kind of feel like One Punch Man tbh, initial excitement but then a feeling of "now what"?

But it's fine lol, I know there are super tyrants or whatever that will still wreck me. I have quite a few Affinity missions left so I'm going to do them and as many Normal missions as I can before I lose interest I guess! Played about 120hrs already so if my interest wanes at this point, I definitely got my money's worth.

In the case that I don't lose interest even after all that, I guess I'll look into those lvl 60 custom Skells and so called superweapons (which I have none of yet).

oh yeah, so awesome that I can get 60bp in that short post game mission! i've maxed all the classes, think I'll go with Photon Saber/Dual Guns. I know that the Longsword is technically better if I want to break everything, but I can't pass up the Photon Sabers :D

Wtf is this quest 'Going Viral'.

'Go kill this enemy for me.'
'Hmm interesting, go back and kill 2 more of them.'
'Hmm interesting, go back and kill 4 more of them.'

If he tells me to go back and kill 8 after this....

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Anyone think fast travel should only exist in new LA? It ruins some of the exploration aspect. Also, how do you get more party members? Is it just a story thing? I'm only on chapter two.

Marcus

Anyone think fast travel should only exist in new LA? It ruins some of the exploration aspect. Also, how do you get more party members? Is it just a story thing? I'm only on chapter two.

the game would be almost unplayable if fast travel was limited to NLA. the world is VERY big

Social missions lead to new characters a lot of the time. The Vandham one which pops up is just telling you to start the next story mission so ignore that.

For Yelv's first affinity quest, does is matter which mission I pick between Hunt/Gather/Reclaim? Are there different rewards?

Edit: Nvm, guess he's got his mind set lol

Mistle

Now what? Make a Skell like this, feel even more powerful:

i really want to honestly, but i'm a little frightening by the amount of time that'll probably take haha. is that yours? how many hours do you think it took? frame, weapons, augments, the lot.

once I start I'll want to finish it, and it'll become all consuming D:

Vena

i really want to honestly, but i'm a little frightening by the amount of time that'll probably take haha. is that yours? how many hours do you think it took? frame, weapons, augments, the lot.

once I start I'll want to finish it, and it'll become all consuming D:

Its taken about 30-40 hours in all to make that from scratch, I'd say. But some large chunk of that was spent afk flying around.

Haunted

It's probably best to think of this as a Monolithsoft game with Nintendo only serving as the financiers and the publisher who (thankfully/hopefully) didn't really interfere with the developer's intentions and story beats.

Treating this as a Nintendo game and how a Nintendo game "should be" reads like a very limiting train of thought.

Now you know, Pard.

The end of that quest was a nightmare for me XD
The first part was the hardest for me, where you have to hunt to cintras or w/e. And then it calls in some level 90+ titan, REAL NICE YELV!

Edit: Are there any guides on the optimal probe setup? I have no idea wat I'm doing in regard to probes lol.
Yes, even after reading the manual and the links OP provided...

Edit 2: What the hell do I do with Miranium other than the few basic missions? Should I just be donating it liek crazy to arms manufacturers? I haven't even touched that stuff...

Golnei

I was just thinking about that lol. Everyone is white or tanned-white. Is really dumb, specially when the game set itself in a real-USA setting. It's not even about fitting a quota or whatever, it's about reflecting the human ethnic reality -- I mean, isn't this fucking New LOS ANGELES? What city more diverse than it?

Though in that case, you have to consider the imagery Monolith wanted when they invoked the US - an artist doesn't have a responsibility to reflect 'human ethnic reality' when they're penning an idealised fantasy that uses 'LA' as aesthetic fluff and a tone-setting piece for a JRPG narrative. Changing that wouldn't be forcing diversity when compared to the real population of LA, it'd be forcing diversity when compared to the narratives and imagery the creators find interesting, relatable, and/or engaging. The same goes for sex, gender and orientation.

JJJEEESSUSSSSS, fuck the Supplies Surprise mission. Gathering specific shit among a myriad of shit is just not fun when what you're looking for is as uncommon as it is. Goddamn it. Fuck you and your mission, Nalu. >.>

stupid ass kiweggs :(

If you haven't been trying it yet, just keep fast travelling to the Dorian Caravan in Oblivia. All those items that spawn around the tree there have a chance of being Kiweggs.

Yeah, I really hated that mission too.

DeathPeak

Got the Special Edition for X-Mas and was finally able to play. I'm excited for the fun that lies ahead.

I feel like my character is on vacation with this screenshot.
12194962_10206597250703396_4864170938676023083_o.jpg

Haunted

I'm looking to just go through the main story and enjoy "story" focused sidequests.

What kind of grinding am I looking at for that? How well will I need to know the systems if I'm just looking to complete the main game? Is just a general understanding enough?

Some of this bonus stuff and deeper mechanics is just... I feel way in over my head.
Reading about systems like this in a theoretical vacuum always seems much more daunting than it actually is in practice, when the game introduces you to this bit by bit over the course of dozens of hours.

I don't think it's a hard game, so I think you'll be just fine. It's a big game so it'll take a while to complete, they're gating the main storyline progression so you'll have to invest some time.

Edit 2: What the hell do I do with Miranium other than the few basic missions? Should I just be donating it liek crazy to arms manufacturers? I haven't even touched that stuff...
Miranium is used to engineer augments as well as unlocking augment slots on your existing gear.

Basically, don't worry about it until much, much later and just donate to the manufacturers every chance you get. You get a new batch of Miranium every half hour or so, after all.

Kyzon

The first part was the hardest for me, where you have to hunt to cintras or w/e. And then it calls in some level 90+ titan, REAL NICE YELV!

Edit: Are there any guides on the optimal probe setup? I have no idea wat I'm doing in regard to probes lol.
Yes, even after reading the manual and the links OP provided...

Donate like crazy. You'll find better weapons, and be able to buy better ones as well.

oh shit I did not even notice Tatsu missing

tried to get a quest from one of his little siblings and all he asked was were did Brotherpon go?

Lin is not a member of my party :smacks head

So what are the steps to go about gathering the material for the Ares 90?

I've got the Vita Core stuff from the time attack mission, the rest I haven't got a clue.

Already have the miranium factory setup so that's not an issue

Haunted

So what are the steps to go about gathering the material for the Ares 90?

I've got the Vita Core stuff from the time attack mission, the rest I haven't got a clue.

Already have the miranium factory setup so that's not an issue
Here's a good guide for the item drops, very handy.

The biggest issue for me were the Golden Yggdrasil Hearts and Neilnail Masks, don't use your reward tickets for anything else. Took one evening of farming while listening to the GB goty podcast. :D

Totally worth it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Most implausible thing about the world of XCX - how skell insurance companies remain in business.

Golnei

Is there a way to use fashion gear to make it look like there's nothing equipped?

On its own, I don't think so - the closest thing you can do is equip a "swimming" part, but that comes with armbands. Depending on what you want to hide, maybe try equipping a multi-part piece of bodywear and only equipping corresponding fashion gear for one of its slots?

On its own, I don't think so - the closest thing you can do is equip a "swimming" part, but that comes with armbands. Depending on what you want to hide, maybe try equipping a multi-part piece of bodywear and only equipping corresponding fashion gear for one of its slots?

I wanted to remove Celica's top, because when I put pants on her and it removed her default multi-part body armour she had an awesome sporty look going on with her sports bra.

Closest thing would be to put the swimming top on her yeah, but I don't want the bikini, that's too revealing and tacky for me :p

Guess I'll just unequip her top lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm still really, really early. And I have full intention to push through another couple of chapters to see how I feel. But so far this game is immensely disappointing coming off Xenoblade Wii, and if I feel the same way later on I'll probably end up selling it.

It's not clicking at all. The dialogue/cutscenes/characters are unbearably flat and uninteresting, I just want to skip every single dialogue exchange. Visually it's technically impressive and the skyboxes are nice, but the lack of richer colours and interesting worldbuilding through visual design from Xenoblade really let down the overall aesthetic. The soundtrack's great tracks are offset by the terrible ones, so it's far less consistent than Xenoblade as a whole. The UI is a mess. The whole questing structure and game flow is dragging its knuckles.

I'm at the point of bewilderment, to be honest. I loved Xenoblade so much, and that's within a genre that I'm not a big fan of in the first place (I'm exceedingly picky with JRPGS). The praise this has gotten here and elsewhere from people who also loved Xenoblade had me excited. It's obviously drawing a lot from Xenoblade in design and vision. But unlike Shulk I'm not really feeling it at all. So far absolutely nothing, except the Skells, about the story, world, and game design itself is standing out or grabbing my interest. I'm bored, so bored. And I'm sure as shit not grinding 10+ hours of content just to play around with a Skell.

Man :(

zroid

Banned
WELP

had my first Skell evacuation situation, that was scary. was fighting a tyrant for a basic mission and then got aggro'd by some huge bastard flying by (._. )

tried to run but nope

Perfected it, thank god. Would have hated to waste an insurance on a stupid accidental aggro.

Beats

I've been doing post game stuff for quite a bit and I'm really enjoying a lot of the scenarios that play out in the sidequests along with seeing the outcomes of my choices. But I've been dwelling on the combat while playing and I dunno if I really enjoy it all that much anymore. It sort of feels like too much of a numbers game? I haven't fought absolutely everything but it's mostly either I completely destroy the enemy because of the way I've built my characters or the fight is over for me fairly quickly because the enemy does too much damage and/or outpaces my party's healing output. I found it pretty rare that a fight ended up being really close.

There are situations where enemies with really strong attacks of a specific element that my party members were not sufficiently resistant to or a tyrant reflecting x element that ended up killing me because I didn't know beforehand. The best solutions to those sort of scenarios just seems to be going back and crafting the right augments to negate the reflect/increase your resistances or equipping a bunch of gear that ups your resistance to whatever element they mostly use. I'm not really sure how you can combat this during battle without preparing in advance for it though.

For example I was fighting that big Simius tyrant near NLA that was around level 80+ if I remember correctly and it had a thermal attack that was one shotting me or another party member. I couldn't really avoid it during battle because enemy attacks can still hit you even if you're not anywhere near the attack and you can't really dodge unless you use an art like Power Dive or have a high evasion stat. I came back to the fight with better resistances, but that extra preparation trivialized the fight. Also if your damage output is too good then your resistances and what the enemy can do don't really matter all that much because you've probably already killed them before they can do anything. Most fights end up being really short because it's not that hard to do a ton of damage in a small amount of time.

I dunno...it's like the player has to force a middleground with their equipment/builds and hold themselves back if they want thrilling drawn out fights.

zroid

Banned
there is a little guy that shows up only during this weather
WVW69it1zRMMkFbHig

he was so cute

why are we forced to kill cute things?

nah man, it was definitely trying to kill you...

also this picture reminds me I need to go back to the path leading to Sylvalum from Primordia and collect those treasures and such. now that I can deal with those enemies there...

Top Bottom