• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Renewed

That said, Support Missions are a great help.

Would have been a greater help if they would unlock from the very beginning of the game and be available as you continue along. What's the point of giving a mission below level 20 for when you've beaten the game? iirc in Japan they were all available from when you purchased the DLC. So did they think it'd be better to hold the missions back until post-story or was in an accident?

Not saying they should be a substitute for other things, but a quick fix of miranium/BP/money as I continued the story would have been greatly appreciated.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Would have been a greater help if they would unlock from the very beginning of the game and be available as you continue along. What's the point of giving a mission below level 20 for when you've beaten the game? iirc in Japan they were all available from when you purchased the DLC. So did they think it'd be better to hold the missions back until post-story or was in an accident?

Not saying they should be a substitute for other things, but a quick fix of miranium/BP/money as I continued the story would have been greatly appreciated.

Support missions were DLC?

h0tp0ck3t

Beaten

Final Chapter:
You can imagine the final chapter where everyone's heading to the Core but you see these characters you don't really care about getting face time.

Chapter 12 spoilers
HB was in my party going in lol. Pretty funny to see him addressed as the leader of a separate squad only to see him back in my team a second later

Dee Dee

Is the
matchmaker Lao's
last affinity mission? If so, is there any need to raise
his
affinity over one heart?

I drove myself insane and got them to 5 hearts in order to see all the heart-to-hearts. That's the only thing you miss out on.
Pretty sure it was not worth it. The conversations don't count towards map completion, and they still pretended to not know my name when I went to their usual spot to recruit them.

I just finished chapter 9 as well. I did it the normal way: By recruiting a level 60 player avatar into my party who wrecked shit. I feel no remorse at all.

End of chapter 9 feeling: :/
End of chapter 9 unlocks Flight Module feeling: :DDDD

And then I walked between the two business towers in the business district and holy hell...
RIP pizza man. q.q

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i felt the same early on. it gets better, but it never gets to be great. i actually completed the main story at 100 hours and i've put in another 15 so far just doing side missions (which actually chain together) as well as affinity quests.

xenoblade chronicles x is basically 'video game: the video game' where there's a shitload of game systems and things to customize and play around with. what i like is that there's a real sense of progression beyond exploring the world. i like that it first opens up with skells, and then flight mode, and finally post-game content. there's definitely a challenge to see and do everything, especially since the super skells aren't that tough to get. there's still a bunch of caves that you can't enter skells with though, meaning you still have to be pretty skilled at playing the game.

the downside to having everything is that the focus is too divided. this is a problem that never really goes away. what i loved about xenoblade chronicles was how i thought the game was doing one thing with colony 9 and then opening up into a much bigger world later. here, everything is presented at the start and the world actually shrinks over time. it actually becomes less impressive. the lack of focus is annoyingly brought into the story too, since your character is really there for side-missions and mute responses. elma and lin are the real main characters. i think they're both great actually, but i feel like the player should have controlled either one of them from the start.

the pacing of the story is weird too. xenoblade kind of leads you from one place to another, and has a couple of twists near the end, right before the endgame. xcx has the main characters basically doing one thing, and in the final mission, all of the cutscenes and plot revelations happen one after another. you're just getting used to one plot twist and then another one pops up.

and yeah the music is a big thing too. xenoblade chronicles felt to me like a final fantasy xii-esque game, with a better story and better music. it was basically an rpg with a shitload of depth and game systems. xcx has even more game stuff, but it feels a lot more like an open-world adventure game. it's not a bad thing, but it wasn't what i was interested in with xenoblade chronicles. in the first game, i was wowed by the new locales and the bigness of the world (and how the world seemed to get bigger the more you saw of it). in here it's just kinda more of the same.

i think i'll get the post-game skell, kill a couple tyrants that were making me have a bad day, and call it quits. i hope yoshi's better than this.

Exactly how I feel in my negativity, and why I've now chosen to bow out. I think there's a good game in there, but it's not at all what I want from both the genre and this (potential) series. It's too scattered, aimless, and spread thinly in the same way MMOs are at the expense of a greater sense of moment-to-moment progression, which Xenoblade did very well. There's no one thing XCX does that takes me out of the adventure, so much as the sum total of parts. What on the surface looked like another Xenoblade, with a twist is in fact a very different game even if it shares some superficial ideas. Structurally and conceptually it's a different beast, and since I'm already obscenely picky with JRPGs this is, as a whole, leaning far too hard in a direction I have no interest in.

Where Xenoblade was for me a return to form for the classic genre tropes with modern trimmings and a great premise and cast, XCX is a dull and somewhat aimless excursion in knuckle dragging that lacks the punch of its predecessor. It could also be that my love for Xenoblade also burned me out in the formula, but XCX is too different for no gain.

So yeah. Gave it a crack, but not for me. Gonna sell it off to someone who can appreciate it.

Soulflarz

Banned
SO
This is how it went down

They had a wheel they spun to see what the topic of the sidequest they were developing next was

Except the whole thing was xenophobia. The entire wheel.

SO
This is how it went down

They had a wheel they spun to see what the topic of the sidequest they were developing next was

I mean, if humanity was barely surviving, forced to abandon our home planet, and then suddenly massive amounts of a ridiculous number of different aliens decided to take up residence in our one surviving city, yeah, there'd be a fuckton of xenophobia to deal with.

Dee Dee

SO
This is how it went down

And they still managed to work pizza or "get rich quickly" schemes into most of them.

So I've tried Definian Downfall and it has occurred to me that it is completely bogus.
Why didn't my character just shoot her?
Any advice for the boss?

What are your favorite lines Gaf?
Mine are -
H.B: Will I ever stop excelling?
Irina: I didn't know I was so popular.
MC: Now you see me, now you see more of me!

Boze': KAAATSUU!
Frye: Let's go break stuff.
Yelv: How 'bout an aura to really make me blush?
L: They FELL for it! Get it?
Murderess: I promise I won't shoot you in the back or anything.
MC: Can I... CUT IN?

And here is one from a xenoform NPC

Nan'celeg: IT'S ALL ON YOU BRO! YOU ARE THE BEST! SAVE NEN'CELEG AND YOU WILL BE A LEGEND FOREVER! OH, YES BRO! ...I believe you are sufficiently motivated, please begin.

MegaPanda

Woooooooo. Beat the tyrant for the Level 5 Archaeological quest with only two lvl 50 skells. Took hours of reloading/swapping skell gear but now I don't have to worry about running into treasures I cant open

th4tguy

Game just came in the mail. Very excited. Watched most of the videos in op. Feeling ready. Sit down to rock my son to sleep and read the manual as per thread title..... There is none

Almost every single mechanical treasure I find gives me another freaking mining probe.

I just unlocked level 50 skells which are super expensive and I'm trying to increase my revenue. Does anybody know where else research proves are located?

random25

Finished Chapter 11. Too easy lol. I'm excited for the final chapter fight where many seems to be having difficulty.

Just noticed that now I got my man with Treasure sensor equips I get recruited more often than before. I should have done this sooner lol.

Renewed

Chapter 12 spoilers
HB was in my party going in lol. Pretty funny to see him addressed as the leader of a separate squad only to see him back in my team a second later

I went with Celica because I needed to increase her affinity. I figured a boss gauntlet would help and then I thought: So we give L a Skell to fly in. I guess we actually let him join BLADE when we were going to let him stay in the city? Also a Skell for Celica? She sure as heck didn't ride shotgun or float here, Qlu ain't that good lol

So how do I unlock the mystery man quest?

So you checked the northeast area of the industrial district? I remember I just happened upon him and talked and the quest just started. Although it's been a while.

Almost every single mechanical treasure I find gives me another freaking mining probe.

I just unlocked level 50 skells which are super expensive and I'm trying to increase my revenue. Does anybody know where else research proves are located?

Did you check the islands between Primordia and Sylvalum? I VAGUELY remeber finding a research probe there. Otherwise you may have start looking for sightseeing spots and place probes with a high grade in revenue.

TheMoon

Game just came in the mail. Very excited. Watched most of the videos in op. Feeling ready. Sit down to rock my son to sleep and read the manual as per thread title..... There is none

Every 3DS and Wii U game has an eManual that you can read by pressing the home button and clicking the manual button.

There's also a PDF of the thing linked in the OP.

El Odio

Banned
Holiday shenanigans have finally died down for me which means I can finally get back to this game after skipping out on it for almost a week. Just in time too since I finally received this in the mail today:
jBfpPWZ.jpg

Time to finally get back in the swing of things.

Lunar15

This is a weird game where it simultaneously becomes less impressive the more you play it but also more addicting.

It's funny that this deep in (at the final mission) and I still stand by my point that this world feels incredibly small despite the size.

Wiseblade

Another Telethia run, another 15 minutes spent teaching people about reflect augments.

THERE'S TOO MUCH TO THIS GAME

It's the digital in-game manual. It's also avail on the Nintendo website and there's a link in the OP.

robot

Did the H.B affinity quest, that was fun. Should I keep doing these affinity quests or move on to Chapter 4? Does it matter?

So lucky
I haven't even unlocked it yet.

Hmm, Well I always tried to do as much as possible before advancing through the story to build affininty for other characters (I actually try to use Elma and Lin as less as possible). I am the type who really enjoys talking to NPCs, that led me to run around New LA and hear random pieces of dialogue. I actually wouldn't have known that the quests I was doing was leading up to definian downfall if I hadn't looked in this thread or
Rise of the Blood Lobster (Save yourself the trouble and just look it up when you need to complete it).

Wiseblade

Is Lao the only party member that uses a Sniper Rifle? I seriously can't think of anyone else. It would suck to hear that I beat the game without unlocking everyone, but the alternative that character diversity is borked would be worse.

Did the H.B affinity quest, that was fun. Should I keep doing these affinity quests or move on to Chapter 4? Does it matter?

Don't worry about it too much. A lot of affinity missions are tied to story progression anyway. as long as you remember to rotate party members when you fall into your Normal Mission rabbit hole (don't fight it, just let it happen) you'll be mostly fine.

I feel like the ground game is pointless since a heavy smell is so much More powerful and has way more HP.

If you spec HP just right you can have like 30k+ on a character. QTE checks in combat, and soul voice heals are all % based. My main char has 25k hp. I QTE heal for 2400, Geolibrium ticks for 2k, and Arts: Gain HP XV does 630.

After a short break, getting back into the game and doing chapter 5 felt soooo good.

(Now, if only the game would temporarily mute notifications during the cutscenes...)

artbook get

lots of cool stuff inside... Irina is much hotter in her design sketch than ingame ;___;
also there's the sketch for the original protagonist, his dad & heroine + few more unused stuff

I'm kind of jealous (still waiting for my copy to arrive). :p

Top Bottom