• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Same battle system? Never played the first one, if I love this game (I do), am I going to be ga-ga over the original?

Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the similarities, spoiler free?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
L's affinity mission scared the fuck out of me

edit:
good lord tora is a bastard...

Some Nobody

I absolutely hate the Nopons in this game. They're all greedy fucks, wish there was an option to abandon Tatsu when you first meet him, so they can all get eaten lol.

Tatsu was only a minor annoyance
until that bit in Chapter 6
. But yikes, after that I REALLY hate him now. Scrappy Doo is okay, but not if he's making me fight giant, evil monsters because he's too stupid to stay home when I tell him.

After finishing Chapter 6 Sunday, I FINALLY finished all the stuff to get my first Doll yesterday. The license missions are annoying, but aside from the Gathering mission not all that hard, and its all worth it when you hop into your giant robot for the first time. Hnng. I immediately bought two more for my party members even though I can't use them yet.

I am wondering, though: I keep completing all the question marks and affinity missions as soon as I get the chance...but there don't seem to be that many of them, really. Am I just underestimating how much stuff I'm doing, or does a LOT more stuff unlock in the later chapters? I'm at 25% for Primordia and Noctilum and roughly 15% for Oblivia with Sylvalum largely untouched.

Finished chapter 10 or wherever I kill the enormous thing. It seems like most of the sidequests I have left are affinity missions for characters I have no affinity with. How should I go about grinding affinity? Should I even bother?

Nagi
looks so cool in shades.

This is something you'd want to put in spoiler tags

LMAO @ how quickly
Fortuna
changes her tune after you destroy the Rexoskell. So much for all the shit talking she did earlier.

"Shes dead! ... Hey, you know I've always thought you were cool. So uh, how can I help you?"

Haunted

Same battle system? Never played the first one, if I love this game (I do), am I going to be ga-ga over the original?

Similar battle system. The insane amount of named NPCs it keeps track of. Fantasy mixed with sci-fi and mechs, oh my.

The biggest similarity is probably the unrivalled sense of scale while exploring their respective worlds and their sheer beauty. There are some truly stunning sights to see on both Mira and the two Giants.

Vena

LMAO @ how quickly
Fortuna
changes her tune after you destroy the Rexoskell. So much for all the shit talking she did earlier.

"Shes dead! ... Hey, you know I've always thought you were cool. So uh, how can I help you?"

I generally don't like
Fortun
. She's inherently evil from how she's portrayed, so even with the mods I don't like the idea of keeping her alive. Also the
Definians
don't feel free with her around.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have been stuck at 4/5 white cometites for awhile now. Went to get something to eat and it's still like that.

God damn this affinity quest.

Nia

Where the fuck is that?!

I picked a place to fast travel near the Molten Hollow. It dropped me on top of a mountain, where I soon found myself face to face with that thing. It's the big jagged mountain near Northpointe Beach. You can see the hole in this image.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...derness.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150423020323

Edit: It can fly?! I found it scary with it just being in that hole. It reminded me of a deep sea creature hiding in an underwater shaft.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Similar battle system. The insane amount of named NPCs it keeps track of. Fantasy mixed with sci-fi and mechs, oh my.

The biggest similarity is probably the unrivalled sense of scale while exploring their respective worlds and their sheer beauty. There are some truly stunning sights to see on both Mira and the two Giants.
Awesome, thanks. I'm really impressed with the battle system in X, so I had wondered if that would carry over.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers that it eventually comes to the Nintendo E-shop like it did for EU. :)

Damn that monster looks crazy and scary as fuck. To think even with all this exploring and flight, I still have places I havent visited yet.

Nia

I just came across my old friend lambert
he dies in one hit now
poor lambert
I hoped he would get stronger with me ;-;

When I fought Lambert the first time I was able to knock him off the cliff. I jumped after him to finish our battle. It was quite dynamic.

Gameplay:
Xeno 1 combat is very similar yes, you're more restricted in your customisation as each character has their own pre-set abilities, but then you also have more freedom in that you can play as whatever character you like. The mage character was especially fun to play as.
The level design is similar, but it has more areas that are smaller than X's continents, and the flow through them is pretty linear from one to the next.

Story:
The original is a lot more story focused on its central narrative, you always have your core objective like a traditional JRPG, and don't accept missions as you please like in X, this helps as you get a lot more cutscenes and story as you travel through the areas themselves, as you can't reach them until you're up to that part of the story.
The characters are also a lot more fleshed out and hands on in the story, as they are all with you at all times and it isn't just Lin and Elma with the non-required member just standing there.

Overall I still prefer the original.

Soulflarz

Banned
When I fought Lambert the first time I was able to knock him off the cliff. I jumped after him to finish our battle. It was quite dynamic.

Truly a bro, there to serve us

RIP in peace lambert ;~;

^and XBC>XCX
XCX has all these issues mixed with the good. XBC is just bliss.

Whatever you can't swing with, you need to burst down. Pretty much the rules of the game after chapter 8. Chapter 9 is a SMT check. If you've been going through the motions til then... the game will let you know real quick lol (also lin is a shitty tank)

Skell weapons you just really gotta experiment with. Outside of the Superweapons you can pick up, there are a LOT of really useful weapons out there that compliment easy to find setups well.

This lvl 50 Lailah I got has a B2-Gatling that pretty much mopped up everything in the game after I specced for range acc/atk, beam damage, and cooldown. Cheap and ez - Especially with the Lailah's overdrive that pretty much lets you cheese cockpit time.

I had no idea the game had drones. I noticed my skell had only melee arts so I just happened to purchase a non melee weapon and this thing is awesome :O I've just been looking at the power number and nothing else when it comes to purchasing weapons, both ground and skell gear.

What do you mean burst down?

I generally don't like
Fortun
. She's inherently evil from how she's portrayed, so even with the mods I don't like the idea of keeping her alive. Also the
Definians
don't feel free with her around.

Do you know where I can find her after DD? I heard theres an extra quest involving her afterwards. Thats the only reason I let her live, though I also enjoyed the comedy.

Malus

I think Cauldros has gone from my least favorite to favorite map. Though maybe that's just recency bias. It's been a blast to explore.

correojon

This world is so beautiful and well made, after 120+ hours I just passed running a Grex in primordia who was frantically digging on the earth like dogs do for the first time. I also love the giant snail-like creatures in Sylvalum playfully jumping around and falling to the ground, the Grexes laying down, the Tenebras chilling around water...It really feels like I´m the intruder/aggressor in this living world filled with peaceful creatures, so I try to kill only the necessary and leave the indigens go on with their lives...most of the time.

The two heart ones are easy to get, there's some four heart ones later on that can be annoying though.

I see, grinding straight to 4 hearts from 0 can get annoying. I´m doing all missions so hopefully when those come around I´ll have everyone at 2 hearts and will only have to grind 2 more.

Y'know, I think the biggest downgrade from the original isn't the music, or the story, or anything like that, it's the party banter.
The hilarious shit they'd say to each other with their british accents gave the game so much charm.

yes, and that is probably why i will play the original xenoblade over and over again.

Or maybe the banter is still good and it's just that I can't hear it over the music. Either way.
I find it absolutely disconcerting when the created main character is babbling in the battle. I dont know if disconcerting is the right word for it. Its just so strange and feels out of place to hear someone talking all the time but not in the cut scenes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I see, grinding straight to 4 hearts from 0 can get annoying. I´m doing all missions so hopefully when those come around I´ll have everyone at 2 hearts and will only have to grind 2 more.

It's just the sheer number of characters you get access to make it insanely annoying. Like if it was 4 or 5 it wouldn't be an issue, but there's like 10 additional characters or whatever.

random25

I think Cauldros has gone from my least favorite to favorite map. Though maybe that's just recency bias. It's been a blast to explore.

I like how elaborate enemy bases are in Cauldros. Feels more interconnected than the ones in previous continents.

Golnei

I find it absolutely disconcerting when the created main character is babbling in the battle. I dont know if disconcerting is the right word for it. Its just so strange and feels out of place to hear someone talking all the time but not in the cut scenes.

There's definitely a bit of a disconnect there - despite how amusing some of the dialogue choices are, the contrast between complete silence and some of the more exuberant avatar voices is pretty noticeable. Maybe they should have had a silent option that just consisted of Link-esque grunts and yells.

It's fun from a gameplay perspective, but it hasn't really clicked with me visually at all - even with the palaces and alien technology, it's much more of an archetypical video game setting than the other continents, which felt more like ecosystems than Forest World, Snow World and Desert World.

...Is this actually a thing?

Behold.
El4Z7Gd.jpg

I'm incredibly surprised they didn't choose to make (squeezable) figures of these Skells, instead of the ones that actually got produced.

Nia

I am working to level up Yelv quickly so he can wear this level 55 outfit that will make him look more like a certain someone.

correojon

It's just the sheer number of characters you get access to make it insanely annoying. Like if it was 4 or 5 it wouldn't be an issue, but there's like 10 additional characters or whatever.

I was neglecting affinity missions and I still have to affinity grind Nagi, Irina, Murderess, HB and Boze for their first affinity missions (just those that I can think of). I´m enjoying it as I just add them to my team and keep on doing missions and exploring as usual, so when they finally meet the requirements is like an extra bonus. Anyway, I guess I´m going to throw Lin and Elma out of the party for a while and affinity grind 3 other characters at the same time.

Golnei

Anyway, I guess I´m going to throw Lin and Elma out of the party for a while and affinity grind 3 other characters at the same time.

I did that from the beginning for every mission they weren't required for - there are too many characters to grind to waste a chance to raise affinity. And even then, there are a couple of times where I've had to go out and explicitly grind.

At least the postgame makes that easier.

Vena

Do you know where I can find her after DD? I heard theres an extra quest involving her afterwards. Thats the only reason I let her live, though I also enjoyed the comedy.

I think she's either in the residential or the commercial district. She should show up as a big ?.

I was neglecting affinity missions and I still have to affinity grind Nagi, Irina, Murderess, HB and Boze for their first affinity missions (just those that I can think of). I´m enjoying it as I just add them to my team and keep on doing missions and exploring as usual, so when they finally meet the requirements is like an extra bonus. Anyway, I guess I´m going to throw Lin and Elma out of the party for a while and affinity grind 3 other characters at the same time.

how do you affinity grind in this game? Through normal battles and/or soulvoice activation or with these gathering/bounty missions? I havent seen any heart popups in battle like in XBC.

Golnei

how do you affinity grind in this game? Through normal battles and/or soulvoice activation or with these gathering/bounty missions? I havent seen any heart popups in battle like in XBC.

There's all of those, as well as heart-to-hearts, dialogue choices and completing normal missions. I miss the gift system.

Top Bottom