• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Fandangox

Nagi looks so cool in shades.

WVW69itYQBs_U9okrh

youaregoddamnright.gif

random25

how does you affinity grind in this game? Through normal battles and/or soulvoice activation or with these gathering/bounty missions? I havent seen any heart popups in battle like in XBC.

Through soul voice and soul challenge, if the party member answers your call.

correojon

played over 100 hours and havent noticed one yet xD

I noticed this yesterday and remembered that at the start of the game it seemed much more frequent with Elma and Lin. The thing is that it happenned with L right after I replied to a soul voice from him and he was with just 1 heart of affinity. So maybe it´s a reversed system, meaning that the lower the affinity, the higher the change to trigger an affinity boost?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Where the fuck is Yelv

I swear he's NEVER at where hes supposed to be. Jumped through 3 different times already... does he have a permanent heart to heart location or something?
I had no idea the game had drones. I noticed my skell had only melee arts so I just happened to purchase a non melee weapon and this thing is awesome :O I've just been looking at the power number and nothing else when it comes to purchasing weapons, both ground and skell gear.

What do you mean burst down?

Do you know where I can find her after DD? I heard theres an extra quest involving her afterwards. Thats the only reason I let her live, though I also enjoyed the comedy.

Throw a lot of damage on something really, really fast

Fandangox

Where the fuck is Yelv

I swear he's NEVER at where hes supposed to be. Jumped through 3 different times already... does he have a permanent heart to heart location or something?

He does, it happened to me, don't quite remember where it is, but I think it was somewhere in the commercial district.

Malus

Okay so I just read the minimum requirements to accept the last story mission.

I really don't relate at all to the complaints about content gating. Unlocking story missions has been incredibly easy throughout the game. A little bit of exploring and a few sidequests is all it takes.

Omzz

I really don't relate at all to the complaints about content gating. Unlocking story missions has been incredibly easy throughout the game. A little bit of exploring and a few sidequests is all it takes.
yeah it annoyed me at first, but I'm glad they put it there.

correojon

Plot questions regarding the pizza man

What happened with his wife? And why did he kill that human guy who fought with the Ma'non?
The Ma´nons constant whining and excessive complaints about the pizzas put a lot fo stress on her, finally pushing her to suicide, so PizzaMan is taking revenge on the Ma´non. The other guy was used as a escapegoat, I think. He wanted him to take the blame and kill him before anyone discovered it was in fact PizzaMan the one behind all the killing.

Malus

Lend an Ear
Sidequest. Oh jesus...the music...the setting...the camera angles...the absurdity...it's all so perfect. So, so perfect.

Same battle system? Never played the first one, if I love this game (I do), am I going to be ga-ga over the original?

Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the similarities, spoiler free?

The battle system is essentially the same with some slight differences. I personally like the first battle system more, with the exception of the few times you have to use the monado art to be able to do damage to certain enemies. I really liked the unison attack, which was replaced here with overdrive. Also, each character is different so there is a reason to play with each character. One character is radically different, and the way she plays is absent here. The biggest reason to play is for the story. It's fantastic. I think the number 1 disappointment in X is the lack of story and character depth.

Xenoblade Chronicles also has dungeons, unlike this game -- which only has 1 mini dungeon. And it has still the most memorable area from both games -- Satorl Marsh.

Malus

The battle system is essentially the same with some slight differences. I personally like the first battle system more, with the exception of the few times you have to use the monado art to be able to do damage to certain enemies. I really liked the unison attack, which was replaced here with overdrive. Also, each character is different so there is a reason to play with each character. One character is radically different, and the way she plays is absent here. The biggest reason to play is for the story. It's fantastic. I think the number 1 disappointment in X is the lack of story and character depth.

Xenoblade Chronicles also has dungeons, unlike this game -- which only has 1 mini dungeon. And it has still the most memorable area from both games -- Satorl Marsh.

I do miss chain attacks. They gave a sense of teamwork. Soul Voice in X is sort of a replacement for that I suppose. On the other hand I'm glad I don't have to deal with visions popping up over and over during battle.

The dungeons were the biggest negative of the original for me. They basically serve as more linear, uglier maps compared to the rest of the game. It's not like the other maps didn't have lots of enemies already so the dungeons just felt pointless. In X the enemy base camps are largely optional and they feed into the sense of exploration with the way they're scattered throughout the world which is a big improvement.

Also Sylvalum is basically Satorl Marsh/Valak Mountain on steroids :p, except that it isn't ugly during the day.

Now that I'm playing it and relatively deep in I don't understand it either since you should be exploring and doing affinity quests anyway. I appreciate the game pushing you to explore the world and do the side stuff since that's where the game's arguably at its best.

Kiryu

Post Chapter 12

Damn That Elma... really sparked my boner for her ass. I have one complaint about that... I want to know where is her true form default armor. I don't see any and I only have Mimisome Elma Armor. :(

Ulysses 31

Post Chapter 12

Damn That Elma... really sparked my boner for her ass. I have one complaint about that... I want to know where is her true form default armor. I don't see any and I only have Mimisome Elma Armor. :(

It's the lvl 55 craftable armor.

Where can I see that percentage?
treasure sensor) You don't (you know it just from counting up how many treasure sensor augments you have). It is a real pull back from the first game where a boost would be colour coded to indicate it was maxed. Like the UI contains way more info but less useful info, it is a shame.

The 100% is a reasonable assumption based on the fact it seems to modify what chest drops from an enemies body rather than its contents and the gold chests that always appear at 100% contain the most items (the might also have a different drop table to brozne or silver). This does lock you out of the opened 500 silver chests achievement whenever you have this equipment on you, you'll still get bronze due to appendages always being that.

With treasure sensor VI shop armour three party members decked out in it plus two treasure sensor V augments reaches 100%. Eventually change the helmets if you find find some with X (or more) built-in and if you really want to farm/spend tickets you can get it down to one female party member with three bunny pieces (thank god for fashion gear), three treasure sensor XX (total 90, 30 from armour 60 from augments) and other two armour slots with enough treasure sensor to hit 100.

JoeM86

So, there's an affinity mission that requires me to complete the "Marry Me" mission. From what I can find, that should have come around Chapter 4, but I've never seen it. Anyone got any tips on how to trigger it?

Anyone know how I can quickly find a white cometite? I'm struck trying to find one for Lin's affinity quest "repair job" and can't find it. I've got 4 already apparently and just need one more. I can't spend tickets on it either.

I've looked online and found a few places where they are supposed to be but with no luck.

Jisgsaw

So, there's an affinity mission that requires me to complete the "Marry Me" mission. From what I can find, that should have come around Chapter 4, but I've never seen it. Anyone got any tips on how to trigger it?

It'll randomly pop up in the mission console.
I only got it like at ch. 8 iirc

Anyone know how I can quickly find a white cometite? I'm struck trying to find one for Lin's affinity quest "repair job" and can't find it. I've got 4 already apparently and just need one more. I can't spend tickets on it either.

I've looked online and found a few places where they are supposed to be but with no luck.

put a mining probe in one of the probe site that produce cometite.
That quest is really dumb, it comes too soon, they should have locked it after ch. 4 or something like that...

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member

Those basic missions are random, so the list refreshes every time you look at it (I think). I got it after doing this a few times.

correojon

I've completed chapter 10 and it popped up in the mission board after checking it several times and doing missions through 2 or 3 days.

It's a mineable resource. You can somewhat speed-up the process by placing mining probes (rather than the default probes) at places where you can mine the White Cometite (e.g., FN Sites 110, 115, 118). Since you already have some, it means you have at least placed a probe at one of the right locations.

In any case, you'll just have to wait for the white cometite to be mined. Try picking up some smaller quests at the mission board or go exploring to kill the time.

If an affinity mission says you need to accept a mission (rather than complete it), it's a basic mission from the quest board.

If you open and close the quest board a few times it should show up. It'll be a 'social' mission which are generally at the very top.

Lvl 50.

I was lvl 55 because I overdid my basic/normal/affinity mission up to 70% survey.
Thanks.

One more question.

I heard that when fighting
Vita
I should do so without the Skell because when I face the
super secret final boss
I need all the Skell fuel I can get. Is that true?

Kiryu

Thanks.

One more question.

I heard that when fighting Vita I should do so without the Skell because when I face the super secret final boss I need all the Skell fuel I can get. Is that true?
You won't need Skell because last boss will use ability to wipe your fuel charge down to 0.000% and I still beat it with my Longsword combos

Same battle system? Never played the first one, if I love this game (I do), am I going to be ga-ga over the original?

A resounding yes. For me and for many, many people this game is actually a disappointing sequel to the original in virtually every way (story, characters, music, setting, locale variety, playstyle variety, and so on). The only thing this game has over the original is a higher focus on exploration (the original has large, open locales as well, but there are more and they are smalle than in the sequel) and Skells (which, being a huge transforming mecha nerd, are a big plus to me).

The combat system is essentially the same, but it replaces soul voices and overdrive with Monado visions (you get a flash vision of the future, seeing a enemy kill your characters, and have a set time to react and prevent it), chain arts (using your meter to control momentarily each other character in turn, allowing for damage multipliers and performing stagger->topple->daze combos), and each character plays entirely uniquely, having their own, non-overlapping abilities and each having a special mechanic on the big center button instead of overdrive. You can switch control to any character anytime except during battle, allowing you to change gameplay styles to a much bigger extent than changing class in X.

Cutscenes also are a fucking joke in X, with characters just standing there, going through a handful of preset, unnatural, robotic animations and transitions (
yeah, I get it, "mims lol"
). Compare it to the cutscene style in the original (here's the opening, all story cutscenes are in the same style). Perhaps as a consequence, characters in X are much less relatable, they feel more like action figures than people.

And of course, the story in the original is simply amazing and one of the best ever in gaming IMHO, especially towards the end. But I can't talk much about that, can I? :)

You won't need Skell because last boss will use ability to wipe your fuel charge down to 0.000% and I still beat it with my Longsword combos

Thank you!

While I don't hate the game, I more or less agree. Xenoblade is one of the best video games I've ever played and is my personal top 5 of all-time. Xenoblade X may not even make my top 5 for this year. Hell even exploration was done better in Xenoblade. It may not have as many big or lush areas but there was actual meat to the areas. You discovered secret bosses, hidden tribes and villages, hidden quests, etc. Xenoblade X just has scenic views and randomized locations.

So I just ran into some probes requiring level 5 mechanical skill but my mech skill maxed out at 4 a while ago and wouldnt let me level it up anymore. Is there something im supposed to do or a level im supposed to reach before i can get level 5 mech?.

Jisgsaw

So I just ran into some probes requiring level 5 mechanical skill but my mech skill maxed out at 4 a while ago and wouldnt let me level it up anymore. Is there something im supposed to do or a level im supposed to reach before i can get level 5 mech?.

There should be an "Off-record" basic quest at the terminal.
Do that.

Gambit

without spoilers:

Am I getting locked out of affinity quests by progressing the regular story?

Or normal quest for that matter?

I will happily ignore all basic quests.

-shadow-

Blade Quests are still accessible while doing a story mission. Affinity Missions are completely locked out however. Be sure that you've done what you want to do before doing a story or even affinity mission.

Top Bottom